Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
EPL clubs spent a total of £870m, up from the £835m last year. Manchester City won the summer transfer trophy and will most likely have the premier league sewn up by October.

Louis smacked van persie to Turkey

and wage leech Januzaj to Dortmund to make way for the £36m kid

For fans of trophies 2 through 20, here's the lineup:

SAT 12 SEP 2015
Everton v Chelsea
Arsenal v Stoke
Crystal Palace v Man City
Norwich v Bournemouth
Watford v Swansea
West Brom v Southampton
Man Utd v Liverpool

SUN 13 SEP 2015
Sunderland v Tottenham
Leicester v Aston Villa

MON 14 SEP 2015

West Ham v Newcastle

SAT 19 SEP 2015
Chelsea v Arsenal
Aston Villa v West Brom
Bournemouth v Sunderland
Newcastle v Watford
Stoke v Leicester
Swansea v Everton
Man City v West Ham

SUN 20 SEP 2015
Tottenham v Crystal Palace
Liverpool v Norwich
Southampton v Man Utd

SAT 26 SEP 2015
Tottenham v Man City
Leicester v Arsenal
Liverpool v Aston Villa
Man Utd v Sunderland
Southampton v Swansea
Stoke v Bournemouth
West Ham v Norwich
Newcastle v Chelsea

SUN 27 SEP 2015
Watford v Crystal Palace

MON 28 SEP 2015
West Brom v Everton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I cannot wait to see Martial not score. Hell, I might even enjoy watching the most boring team in England

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
the new guy whatever his name is is real cool and good and will definitely be the savior of Man United this season

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He's a fraud

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
noooooooooo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I missed United getting rid of Januzaj. Has he been that bad? Didn't they give him a massive contract not that long ago?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

peanut- posted:

I missed United getting rid of Januzaj. Has he been that bad? Didn't they give him a massive contract not that long ago?

They loaned him to a team with better attack than they have... lol.

Great career move for him, and great vision for season long depth on United's part.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
They're attempting to bankrupt Dortmund by making them pay 10% of his wages

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

peanut- posted:

I missed United getting rid of Januzaj. Has he been that bad?

He hasn't. It's pr. baffling tbh.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Sending Januzaj on loan is the biggest mistake United made in the summer window imo.

Also the De Gea/United/Madrid stuff is the gift that keeps on giving. Recent stories have been that:
1. Navas is mad at Madrid for trying to force him out and called United personally asking if they would still buy him.
2. Madrid signed some sort of contract with De Gea that means they have to pay him a whole load of cash for not buying him, possibly as much as £10m.
3. United are offering De Gea a new contract with a clause that will let him go to Madrid if they bid again.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
i'd completely forgotten cabaye had signed for palace

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
The strangest part of the Januzaj deal is that he seemed to be maturing. The goal he scored against Villa showed real composure that's he's lacked the past couple of seasons, and he's getting to the experience level where he could become a Top Player. Even with Martial, whose completely untested, its not like United are overstocked in that position and the team is probably going to need pacy and creative goalscorers since Rooney's a bolt-on lump in Van Gaal's line-up. I'm glad of it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

corpuscollossus posted:

The strangest part of the Januzaj deal is that he seemed to be maturing. The goal he scored against Villa showed real composure that's he's lacked the past couple of seasons, and he's getting to the experience level where he could become a Top Player. Even with Martial, whose completely untested, its not like United are overstocked in that position and the team is probably going to need pacy and creative goalscorers since Rooney's a bolt-on lump in Van Gaal's line-up. I'm glad of it.

This is bollocks he's played several times this season and apart from the goal against Villa hes been pretty anonymous and I might be wrong but he's been subbed off every time..

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The Big Taff Man posted:

This is bollocks he's played several times this season and apart from the goal against Villa hes been pretty anonymous and I might be wrong but he's been subbed off every time..

Makes sense to get another lad in who hasn't played a full game then!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Januzaj is bad.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I love how United are making as bad of mistakes as they seemed to be when Moyes was in charge but they've given a crazy man unlimited funds so it's papering over the cracks.

I wonder what Moyes would have done with the money that's been spent in the last two seasons, very curious. Maybe they'd still have finished outside of the top 4, who knows. They got top 4 last year but it involved a ton of luck over the squad actually playing that much better.

Also funny that everyone mocked Moyes signing Fellaini yet Van Gaal has used him more and seems to be very fond of him.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

This post is accurate. Also a full season of cycles matches at Dortmund will be good for him

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

T Bowl posted:

I love how United are making as bad of mistakes as they seemed to be when Moyes was in charge but they've given a crazy man unlimited funds so it's papering over the cracks.

I wonder what Moyes would have done with the money that's been spent in the last two seasons, very curious. Maybe they'd still have finished outside of the top 4, who knows. They got top 4 last year but it involved a ton of luck over the squad actually playing that much better.

Also funny that everyone mocked Moyes signing Fellaini yet Van Gaal has used him more and seems to be very fond of him.

Moyes had a ton of money to spend and yet his only impulse was to but Fellaini and look at buying Leighton Baines in the first transfer window. In the 2nd window he brought in Mata. You can argue that the deals for Shaw and Herrera were done by Moyes (since they came in at the start of the window when technically LVG was still dutch manager I think)

For all you can criticise LVG for he's been doing the job that Moyes should have done when he took over. Looking at the squad, eliminating some of the players who were weaker and just making up the numbers and shipping them out. For you to say it involved a ton of luck, well you're a loving retard so its unsurprising, but the times we played well we played far better than under Moyes, and LVG played football to win points when he needed to. I'd watch a LVG side over a Moyes side any day of the week. While I think LVG does make strange substitutions at times Moyes was like clockwork and never made an impact on a game. Moyes even gave a new contract to Nani which made him even harder to sell

Fellaini is a perfect example of the difference between Moyes and LVG. Moyes bought him having previously managed him and knowing how he played best, but then tried to change the way he played to convert him to a more defensive player where he looked clumsy and inept at times. LVG has used him more as a target man utilising his (one) skills. Barring a shed load of injuries I dont think you'll see Fellaini in one of the two centre mid positions again unless theres a total system change.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I believe Pissflaps was the first to point out that it was a silly idea to put Januzaj on Januzaj wages. Had he been on a sensible contract they could've afforded Pedro but I guess it all even out in the end and now, finally, there's an international break we can enjoy.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

Moyes had a ton of money to spend and yet his only impulse was to but Fellaini and look at buying Leighton Baines in the first transfer window. In the 2nd window he brought in Mata. You can argue that the deals for Shaw and Herrera were done by Moyes (since they came in at the start of the window when technically LVG was still dutch manager I think)

For all you can criticise LVG for he's been doing the job that Moyes should have done when he took over. Looking at the squad, eliminating some of the players who were weaker and just making up the numbers and shipping them out. For you to say it involved a ton of luck, well you're a loving retard so its unsurprising, but the times we played well we played far better than under Moyes, and LVG played football to win points when he needed to. I'd watch a LVG side over a Moyes side any day of the week. While I think LVG does make strange substitutions at times Moyes was like clockwork and never made an impact on a game. Moyes even gave a new contract to Nani which made him even harder to sell

Fellaini is a perfect example of the difference between Moyes and LVG. Moyes bought him having previously managed him and knowing how he played best, but then tried to change the way he played to convert him to a more defensive player where he looked clumsy and inept at times. LVG has used him more as a target man utilising his (one) skills. Barring a shed load of injuries I dont think you'll see Fellaini in one of the two centre mid positions again unless theres a total system change.

Yeah, you follow them and watch way more of their games, I concede that LVG is the better option, but still.. he seems to be taking some massive risk this season with money and movement of players to where you question if he can really bring back trophies.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, you follow them and watch way more of their games, I concede that LVG is the better option, but still.. he seems to be taking some massive risk this season with money and movement of players to where you question if he can really bring back trophies.

You are the poster just spent an entire transfer window thread complaining about your team not going out and taking a risk purchasing someone, and yet youre criticizing another team whos going and doing what you want your manager to do?

I dont even know why Im arguing with someone so stupid tbh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If Schneiderlin would have saved Arsenal why doesn't he play for Man Utd? Has he made an appearance yet?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

You are the poster just spent an entire transfer window thread complaining about your team not going out and taking a risk purchasing someone, and yet youre criticizing another team whos going and doing what you want your manager to do?

I dont even know why Im arguing with someone so stupid tbh.

I never said anything about taking risks, I said buy some loving players who were available, good for the team, and they let slip chasing bigger names (or so the media fan fiction told us) .

And the United risks are more of how many players they shipped out and didn't replace, while the other risk is that 19 year old you just googled yesterday.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sassassin posted:

If Schneiderlin would have saved Arsenal why doesn't he play for Man Utd? Has he made an appearance yet?

arsenal could have signed vidal for almost the same amount as schneiderlin

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

sassassin posted:

he's played in like every match iirc

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Jose posted:

arsenal could have signed vidal for almost the same amount as schneiderlin

Bayern were knocking on the door for him though, who would you rather go play for?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

T Bowl posted:

Bayern were knocking on the door for him though, who would you rather go play for?

arsenal could have tried signing him as soon as the transfer window opened

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Weird how quietly the Vidal transfer came and went.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jose posted:

arsenal could have tried signing him as soon as the transfer window opened

vidals agent phoned him up and told him arsenal were interested in june actually

what a cry for help

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

jyrka posted:

Weird how quietly the Vidal transfer came and went.

Yeah, one of the very few players who went for less than their assumed market value i'd imagine.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

no vidal went for almost exactly his value (40m euros). he's a good player, but he only has 2 more years of usefulness in him because he's incredibly dependent on pace.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

straight up brolic posted:

he's played in like every match iirc

Strange, I can't recall ever seeing him...

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

no vidal went for almost exactly his value (40m euros). he's a good player, but he only has 2 more years of usefulness in him because he's incredibly dependent on pace.

He went for 37 and current value is 42 according to Transfermarket but yeah I guess close enough price wise.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

T Bowl posted:

He went for 37 and current value is 42 according to Transfermarket but yeah I guess close enough price wise.
the transfermarkt poo poo is retarded don't cite that.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

the transfermarkt poo poo is retarded don't cite that.

Is it based on FM stats

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Eau de MacGowan posted:

vidals agent phoned him up and told him arsenal were interested in june actually

what a cry for help

Did he tell him 55k p/w was their best and final offer?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah I know it's dumb but there aren't any good ways to accurately value players beyond what people are paying for them tbh.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Clit Avoider posted:

Did he tell him 55k p/w was their best and final offer?

lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

T Bowl posted:

Yeah I know it's dumb but there aren't any good ways to accurately value players beyond what people are paying for them tbh.
It's all situational. ~40m seems right, it's roughly what Toure got when he left Barca in a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm not going to pretend I'm happy with everything LVG's done since taking over the reins at Old Trafford, but like Taff says, for the large part he's doing what he should be doing: shipping off deadwood, finally bringing in players the team has needed for half a decade and trying to build a new side. That wouldn't be easy at the best of times.

Also, it's worthwhile to remember that United didn't lose just Ferguson but also one of the savviest and longest serving CEO at the same time, and replaced him with someone who isn't really a football man.

• Locked thread