Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Der Shovel posted:

I'm not going to pretend I'm happy with everything LVG's done since taking over the reins at Old Trafford, but like Taff says, for the large part he's doing what he should be doing: shipping off deadwood, finally bringing in players the team has needed for half a decade and trying to build a new side. That wouldn't be easy at the best of times.

Also, it's worthwhile to remember that United didn't lose just Ferguson but also one of the savviest and longest serving CEO at the same time, and replaced him with someone who isn't really a football man.

I'm not sure who else we could or should have brought in. Jose was the obvious choice but it was clear people at Old Trafford didnt think he would work at the club. Tbh I think they were probably right, we may have had a better 1st season after Fergie than Moyes did but I think it could have ended up crumbling down.

At least with LVG theres a set timetable for him, and with the work he's doing its all set up for the next manager to come in after his time at the club and be able to be a fresh face who has a good squad to build on.

I dont agree with everything LVG has done but I see method in his madness, and tbh I quite like that he falls out with so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Seems kind of odd to blame Moyes for United's transfers that year. It was all blamed on Woodward at the time.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-Trafford.html

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

blue footed boobie posted:

Seems kind of odd to blame Moyes for United's transfers that year. It was all blamed on Woodward at the time.

They both got blamed and rightly so.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

*in the ninpo voice*

Hello it's me Taff

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Januzaj has been poo poo so far this season and I'm glad he is gone on loan.
I think Wilson stayed so I hope he plays a bit

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Januzaj is going to try and dive vs Bayern and then Alaba will destroy him ftw

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

I dont just blame Moyes but we were comparing managers. Woodward was totally inept in his first season and my sources said it was because he thought transfers were the same as any corporate business deal. (its interesting to see how well Woodward has done off the field with the sponsorship deals as I think without that he wouldnt be in a job)

Moyes just didnt do the job that was needed, shipping out players and bringing in better people.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Januzaj is going to try and dive vs Bayern and then Alaba will destroy him ftw

With that sick new 85 overall in FIFA 16 I have no doubt this will happen.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
For all the talk of LVG clearing out the "deadwood" at United he seems to have replaced them with way more expensive, but only slightly better, players... and that's if they've been replaced at all. Rojo isn't exactly a rock at the back, Shaw still gets too far ahead of the ball and leaves United exposed, Herrera rarely plays at the best of times and Depay and Martial are still youngsters with a lot to prove. With Rooney as the only notable striker in the squad and with him being woefully out of form it leaves problems.

Also, United are still dull as gently caress to watch.

There have been positives too but LVG isn't exactly making huge strides past Moyes. They're both poo poo houses is what I'm saying.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So Taff did SAF pretty much know he was leaving such a dog poo poo squad to Moyes and was allowing him to burn at the stake? Or did he think he would ship out half the squad in his first transfer window and put that much more pressure on himself after United had just won a title under SAF with those players?

There is no doubt the team was weak for title winners and SAF got the most out of them to win that season, but the way things went down and the way United fans talk now about Moyes means either SAF massivley trolled Moyes or he himself made a huge blunder in selecting him and gave him absolutely no loving direction on how to handle the situation for that upcoming season. Which is it?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

julian assflange posted:

Januzaj has been poo poo so far this season and I'm glad he is gone on loan.
I think Wilson stayed so I hope he plays a bit

He's only played ~120 minutes of league and scored the match winner at Aston Villa. Total poo poo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

god drat he's garbage

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Jazz Hands was just about to come good and he's going to tear the Bundesliga a new one and I'm going to lol

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

straight up brolic posted:

no vidal went for almost exactly his value (40m euros). he's a good player, but he only has 2 more years of usefulness in him because he's incredibly dependent on pace.

You've never seem him play, have you?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This is a stretch. 27 wins each, sure, but how many losses for Moyes, wins against top teams for Van Gaal, etc.

Redundant posted:

Also, United are still dull as gently caress to watch.

This is very true

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dunban posted:

You've never seem him play, have you?
wtf are you talking about he runs about the pitch like a mad man to break up attacks. If his pace goes he wont be able to cover nearly as much space.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TheBigAristotle posted:

This is a stretch. 27 wins each, sure, but how many losses for Moyes, wins against top teams for Van Gaal, etc.

It is a stretch but it's still up for conversation, someone else pointed out not even the top teams thing but league cup poo poo wins vs EPL wins as well Moyes had like 8 more from those lower competitions.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 2, 2015

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

jyrka posted:

Weird how quietly the Vidal transfer came and went.

thankfully Arsenal didn't need him because they have *opens Arsenal's Eternal Hopes book* Denils... no wait *flips page* Alex Son... just kidding *flips page* Diab...uh he's gone *flips page* Wilsher... he sucks *flips page* Oxlade-Chamber... played in the wrong position *flips last page, points at name proudly* Coquelin

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

T Bowl posted:

So Taff did SAF pretty much know he was leaving such a dog poo poo squad to Moyes and was allowing him to burn at the stake? Or did he think he would ship out half the squad in his first transfer window and put that much more pressure on himself after United had just won a title under SAF with those players?

There is no doubt the team was weak for title winners and SAF got the most out of them to win that season, but the way things went down and the way United fans talk now about Moyes means either SAF massivley trolled Moyes or he himself made a huge blunder in selecting him and gave him absolutely no loving direction on how to handle the situation for that upcoming season. Which is it?

Fergie was a great manager who was able to turn an average player good through playing tactics to their abilities and being a fantastic motivator. I dont think he "trolled" Moyes, I think he possibly didnt tinker with the squad as much as he should have because he knew he was leaving.

Moyes being selected as manager was a blunder but you can see why he was chosen, it was clearly a push by Fergie to keep the club in the hands of a British manager and keep the consistency of the club with a guy he believed in. Why would he give him direction? If he believed in him he wouldnt want to give him directions, and Fergie hanging round would have made his job even harder.

I think any talk of Fergie looking to cement his legacy by bringing in a clown is ridiculous.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheBigAristotle posted:

Moyes v Swansea in the league: Played 2 Won 2
LVG v Swansea in the league: Played 3 Lost 3

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

wtf are you talking about he runs about the pitch like a mad man to break up attacks. If his pace goes he wont be able to cover nearly as much space.

Vidal is a skill player too but I agree here, it also depends on how he's used. At Juve there were a lot of players in the midfield and attack that could cover for him because he's also a bit lazy sometimes.

He'll adapt his game as he gets older I think. He's not going to be like Gerrard or Pirlo or anything but he's good enough to play multiple roles.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

I think any talk of Fergie looking to cement his legacy by bringing in a clown is ridiculous.

I don't think he was trying to cement his legacy by saying he trollled him, more he knew he wanted out, he knew his squad wasn't good enough, so he had to pawn it off on someone.

I guess either way it was a blunder and anyone who wasn't a big name manager was always going to be put to the knife instantly when things went bad. The British thing makes sense I guess, sad state in 2015 for the national team and Most Passionate Fans of The Best League in The World™®.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

T Bowl posted:

I don't think he was trying to cement his legacy by saying he trollled him, more he knew he wanted out, he knew his squad wasn't good enough, so he had to pawn it off on someone.

Jesus christ you are such a bad poster with such loving awful opinions. Its no shock you support Arsenal.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

It's all situational. ~40m seems right, it's roughly what Toure got when he left Barca in a similar situation.

And he's been great for way more than 2 years. Granted that 40m was a long time ago.

I guess my point is that the Toure and Vidal situations weren't actually that similar. Also Vidal loves the sauce and is a total mong.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Big Taff Man posted:

I dont just blame Moyes but we were comparing managers. Woodward was totally inept in his first season and my sources said it was because he thought transfers were the same as any corporate business deal. (its interesting to see how well Woodward has done off the field with the sponsorship deals as I think without that he wouldnt be in a job)

Moyes just didnt do the job that was needed, shipping out players and bringing in better people.

I really don't know how much of that can be blamed on Moyes vs. Van Gaal. Especially with shipping players, I would imagine that's totally Woodward's responsibility, and if he can't find a buyer then they're just hanging around.

Anyway, I suspect that just about any manager save Mourinho and Pep would have had similar results to Moyes in his first season. That side was a mess and something only Ferguson could have dealt with. If the club had gotten their transfers in order Moyes may have done just as well as Van Gaal. Anyway this is all speculation and I'm not even sure what my point is.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

Yep. I don't think he's that much of an intelligent player when it comes down to it. I was surprised Guardiola went for a more physical player like him.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

I really don't know how much of that can be blamed on Moyes vs. Van Gaal. Especially with shipping players, I would imagine that's totally Woodward's responsibility, and if he can't find a buyer then they're just hanging around.

Anyway, I suspect that just about any manager save Mourinho and Pep would have had similar results to Moyes in his first season. That side was a mess and something only Ferguson could have dealt with. If the club had gotten their transfers in order Moyes may have done just as well as Van Gaal. Anyway this is all speculation and I'm not even sure what my point is.

Moyes authorised a new contract for Nani. Nani!!!

I think after Fergie you needed a strong manager and Moyes wasnt it. I by no means think hes a bad manager but the football we played under him was so eye bleedingly awful. Some of the stuff since Van Gaal took over has been bad, but not as bad imo.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Broletariat posted:

Yep. I don't think he's that much of an intelligent player when it comes down to it. I was surprised Guardiola went for a more physical player like him.

I saw a video the other day of Vidal playing for Bayern and Guardiola was throwing a massive tantrum on the sidelines because he was in the wrong place and passing to the wrong player.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Big Taff Man posted:

Moyes authorised a new contract for Nani. Nani!!!

Hmmmm this is a good point.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

Jesus christ you are such a bad poster with such loving awful opinions. Its no shock you support Arsenal.

That's not my opinion Taff, I asked which you thought it was. You assumed I cared about SAF and his legacy in my post, I clarified that I did not and that it was more of an offloading thing, that or an honest blunder.

You gave your opinion that it was a mistake of his, which I think is obviously the truth. But the biggest point from the entire conversation is did he realize how tough he was making it for Moyes by retiring on top of the league with a squad that was turning lukewarm? I am sure Moyes would have been given more time as long as he could have kept UCL and SAF banked on that I guess.

There's also nothing wrong with a top manager with the team for decades giving some opinions and insight for the man he's asked to be brought in for the transition. What the gently caress Taff? Why even have any assistant managers at all then? Listen to the main guy when he's in charge and that's it, no one else should ever give their insight or opinions.... don't want to step on any toes now do we?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

I saw a video the other day of Vidal playing for Bayern and Guardiola was throwing a massive tantrum on the sidelines because he was in the wrong place and passing to the wrong player.
Lmao this sounds sick

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is it based on FM stats

No, it's just one man's opinion based on player reputation and performance somewhat. Usually completely disregarding age and contract length/clauses. It's pretty arbitrary. That website should not have any kind of legitimacy at all despite the cleverly chosen name.

For example, this is how the "market value" for Finnish Veikkausliiga was done: A random Eastern European(from Bosnia or something) made a post on a Finnish message board asking what the locals think the players' values are. People said it's 0 for nearly all the players in the league, which is true since they're poo poo and on short contracts usually. It's very rare that a transfer fee gets paid there. Then the lad said ok just tell me who the good players are and he went from there.

I guess they have an impressively large database but so do wikipedia, soccerway, FM and loads of other websites.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

T Bowl posted:

That's not my opinion Taff, I asked which you thought it was. You assumed I cared about SAF and his legacy in my post, I clarified that I did not and that it was more of an offloading thing, that or an honest blunder.

You gave your opinion that it was a mistake of his, which I think is obviously the truth. But the biggest point from the entire conversation is did he realize how tough he was making it for Moyes by retiring on top of the league with a squad that was turning lukewarm? I am sure Moyes would have been given more time as long as he could have kept UCL and SAF banked on that I guess.

There's also nothing wrong with a top manager with the team for decades giving some opinions and insight for the man he's asked to be brought in for the transition. What the gently caress Taff? Why even have any assistant managers at all then? Listen to the main guy when he's in charge and that's it, no one else should ever give their insight or opinions.... don't want to step on any toes now do we?

You're literally retarded and I'm not responding to you anymore.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

You're literally retarded and I'm not responding to you anymore.

nice meltdown

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

I can't argue with these numbers, Moyes in

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sassassin posted:

Swansea own this year.