Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

He's the main villain of Peace Walker who casually mentions that he's retroactively responsible for almost everything that happens in MGS3, which makes him one of the most plot significant antagonists spanning the entire series.

lol drat. it's been a long time since i played pw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

He's the main villain of Peace Walker who casually mentions that he's retroactively responsible for almost everything that happens in MGS3, which makes him one of the most plot significant antagonists spanning the entire series.
I love how incredibly significant Zero became to the entire series

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He also has a peace sign tattooed on the back of his gross old bald head.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this is canon, btw.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

net cafe scandal posted:

He also has a peace sign tattooed on the back of his gross old bald head.

Huh . Thought it was a dragon in some panels.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Huh . Thought it was a dragon in some panels.

He has both, I think.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i love secret theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgDIWxgOYA this is the other best one

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Pacifica Ocean

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Doctor Goat posted:

i love secret theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgDIWxgOYA this is the other best one

they really poo poo on raiden in mgs3, at least he got his chance to shine in rising

this one has always been my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIuvbf8KJI

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

In Training posted:

The only thing I remember about the Peace Walker story is the final boss, Strangelove being a dumbass character and when the guy from MGS3 who tried to shake Snake's hand in the White House appears in the war room in PW and talks poo poo about how he's still upset about it 10 years later.

There was more to the story of Peace Walker?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pablo Gigante posted:

I love how incredibly significant Zero became to the entire series

Him and the girl snake talked about movies with and the black man who snake disclosed his dream about the poo poo monster to being the people who form the international organization that sets most of the major series events in motion is loving incredible.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Seshoho Cian posted:

I watched my older brother play through MGS 1-4 years ago when each game came out, but I don't really remember all that much about them. So before playing MGSV, I decided to play them. I'm gonna post my status in the games here, so feel free to talk about the not-MGSV games in this thread.

MY CURRENT STANDINGS

MGS1: COMPLETE

MGS2: COMPLETE

MGS3: COMPLETE

MGS4: COMPLETE

MGSPW: IN PROGRESS
MGSV:GZ: N/A
MGSV: N/A

why did you skip the MSX games, they only take maybe 5 hours each for a first time playthrough. They are good games and MG1 is kind of canon still.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

texasmed posted:

why did you skip the MSX games, they only take maybe 5 hours each for a first time playthrough. They are good games and MG1 is kind of canon still.

Why did Big Boss help Solid defeat most of his/venom's base?

texasmed
May 27, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Snake was a rookie in 1995, and Big Boss thought he wasn't experienced enough to succeed in his mission.

edit: Big Boss at that point I guess was a kind of double agent, commanding Foxhound and Outer Heaven at the same time

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Austrian mook posted:

Him and the girl snake talked about movies with and the black man who snake disclosed his dream about the poo poo monster to being the people who form the international organization that sets most of the major series events in motion is loving incredible.

The poo poo monster was Sigint's dream and he just tells Snake then hangs up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

texasmed posted:

They're an unplayable slog, IMO.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
some people just dont like old rear end games. it can be difficult if you didnt grow up with them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i wouldn't mind MG1/2 if the key card system wasn't so frustrating.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The MSX games are fun if not for just a look into the formula that would make the franchise so successful.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

real answer: because 1987 kojima thought it would be badass if the good guy turned out to be the bad guy and he's been paying for it ever since

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
think ill play the rest of the series soon. probaly just mgs 1 2 3 and 4 though .. it wasnt that long ago i played peace walker

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

As a Millennial I posted:

real answer: because 1987 kojima thought it would be badass if the good guy turned out to be the bad guy and he's been paying for it ever since

Welp this is the best answer I've gotten so I'll take it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Welp this is the best answer I've gotten so I'll take it.
it's because that was the twist in Portopia and Portopia was his favourit e game

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I just bought MGS3D and I can't wait to start playing it. Only other Metal Gear game I've played was MGS2 for the xbox.. which was epic.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

do i need to play mgs4 and pw before i play mgs5? i really want to play mgs5..............

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tumor looking batty posted:

do i need to play mgs4 and pw before i play mgs5? i really want to play mgs5..............
play PW definitely. 4 doesn;t matter. the timeline is 3 - PW - 5 - 1 - 2 - 4

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

play PW definitely. 4 doesn;t matter. the timeline is 3 - PW - 5 - 1 - 2 - 4

Uhh you're missing mg1 and 2

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

tumor looking batty posted:

nah. 3, pw, gz and you're good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
4 has a ton of references to the MGS3 timeline though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Uhh you're missing mg1 and 2
yeah they're extremely important. in MG1 you're a tough soldier dude and it turns out the dude called Boss is the final boss, and in MG2 it turns out Boss is still the final boss, because he's still alive.

MG2 is a good game though, play it :)

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
you can't fully appreciate the fall of big boss and the others without playing 4 and peace walker

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Release order > chronological

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

All day baby.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I legit don't understand half the plot in these games and I don't care because it all owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In Training posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

The shifts and evolutions in gameplay development and design are as much of a vital part of the MGS series as the story, if not more so.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

ty

texasmed
May 27, 2004
MG2 is awesome because it's very similar to MGS but in 2d.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Similarities_between_Metal_Gear_2:_Solid_Snake_and_Metal_Gear_Solid

The MSX games don't hold your hand like the new ones. You'll feel like you accomplished something when you see the credits. Also play the remastered versions on the MGS3HD disc with the better faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

texasmed posted:

MG2 is awesome because it's very similar to MGS but in 2d.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Similarities_between_Metal_Gear_2:_Solid_Snake_and_Metal_Gear_Solid

The MSX games don't hold your hand like the new ones. You'll feel like you accomplished something when you see the credits. Also play the remastered versions on the MGS3HD disc with the better faces.

I played MG2 for about 30 minutes before I started playing MGS3, but the keycard system was frustrating

Also it's not inherently bad for games to tell you what to do

• Locked thread