Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

DarkCrawler posted:

So again, where in any of the international agreements signed by European nations is refugee acceptance and taking care of refugees based on geographic proximity?

It's in the Dublin Regulation. Well not literally, but de facto the first country the refugee enters will be Greece or Italy. The Dublin Regulation is not very good :/

"Look at all these gulf states doing nothing" is not wrong but I find it a bit of a weird argument really. Who knew that Saudi-Arabia was the benchmark by which Europe should measure its efforts when helping people?

e: it's a regulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

DarkCrawler posted:

Yes but it doesn't say anything about stopping refugees from arriving into EU.

It doesn't, but the Schengen Agreement stipulates that the external border of the Schengen area is strictly guarded, which is what you're seeing - or not seeing depending on how you feel about the situation - today. In theory countries like Greece and Italy should do a triage and see if the person is a refugee or a migrant and process their application. If they move on to another Schengen-country they can be sent back to the first country. (Which Belgium once did: they sent asylum seekers back to Greece. This resulted in fines from European Court of Human Rights for both Belgium and Greece because the conditions for asylum seekers in Greece are that terrible).

I think/hope the the Dublin Regulation is on it's way out however, because the policies that Merkel's Germany is following are quite different

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Blue Star Error posted:

Personally I hope all the money set aside for asylum policy goes towards refugees rather than making middle class west africans a bit happier.

I think that everyone wants to spend the money on the people who need it most. This is not the same as saying that we can't help anyone because some of them don't actually need help.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

kikkelivelho posted:

I was about to ask this too. Won't the refugees just go back to Germany? Or are we just going to lock them up in secured apartments to make sure they stick?

The way I understand it:

Refugees don't apply for asylum in Europe, they apply for asylum in a specific country. If they get asylum, they get the same social rights as any other inhabitant in that specific country. There are also no European rules that determine how an application should be judged, and the percentage of granted asylums differ widely between countries.

Of course a refugee that got asylum in say Greece could move to Germany, but he'd have to start a whole different (longer) procedure to get the same social rights as a "native" German.

kikkelivelho posted:

Also how does the distribution work? why does refugee A get to go to Germany but refugee B has to go to some Eastern country?

It doesn't work, that's the whole problem :)

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Honj Steak posted:

The quota isn't meant for ending the refugee crisis but for alleviating the immediate strains a few countries experience currently while the rest of Europe isn't bothered by it that much.

But how can you enforce it? If you have 100 refugees who want to go to Germany, how do you force 4 of them to go to Hungary?

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

XMNN posted:

Maybe we should be sending them into space to spread humanity's seed amongst the stars.

I don't know, you think Turkey would be ok with an independent Kurdistan on the moon?

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Some people are getting really angry about this Charlie Hebdo cartoon:

"So close to the goal"
"Promo: two children's menus for the price of one"

They say that it's mocking the little kid that drowned. They are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Honj Steak posted:

Many refugees aren't registered until they arrive in Germany.

That's the point, they are supposed to get registered in the first Schengen country they enter. If not they can be sent back to the first country, as per the Dublin regulation.

But I guess if a refugee took a boat by Gibraltar, sailed up the North Sea and up the Elbe to Hamburg they'd be fine...

• Locked thread