Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
The only sane and legitimate argument to have is "how do we do it". The argument of"should we do it" is almost offensive to have. Of course it should be done, it should be done as soon as possible. Let those people have refuge. We can argue the how later when they are safe for fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Kaal posted:

Should we what, exactly? "Do something now!" is a stupid answer that results in the Syrians living in UN border camps for the next 10-30 years. I don't know why anyone would think that war refugees are a recent or unique phenomenon. Refugees have been pouring out of Africa and the Middle East for decades, and will continue to do so. Get a good photo of a kid dead on a beach and the public wakes up to it for a while, but the reality is that public interest will fade and then the practical concerns of "who is going to pay for all of this" and "how many can we take in" will resurface. There are 60 million war refugees in the world. There are far more economic migrants who similarly are looking for a better life in a rich country. Does your solution apply to them, or just people who say they're from Syria? Why or why not?

Do what you ask? Let them in - as I said. Before we have to have pictures of dead children to prompt lip service from our politicians.

I'd like some stats to back your claim up that some refugees are "faking it" and just want more money even though they are not in dire straits. Although I am not sure it matters - let those ones in too.

All the questions you posed are questions that'll still be there when they get there - we'll figure it out. Who will pay for it? In the short term, the people who live in the destination country. In the long term, the same since the refugees will live in that country.

• Locked thread