Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

Last year, 75% percent of all migrants (as in "people moving from one country to another", regardless if they are refugees or economic immigrants) that died on their route died in the Mediterranean Sean.

All of them...in the world? Bound for Europe? Do you have a source, I'd like to know more.

Edit: sorry now I see how ' their route' can mean that route from that previously mentioned wreck. I'd still like a source on the percentage though, that's grim.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thank you, I'll try to look at that this weekend; right off the bat I see they say the 75% share might be so high due to better reporting of deaths in the Mediterranean vs other places (not that I think it wouldn't still be the #1 spot, the report just says the other places are probably more under reported.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Kyle Reese Terminator speech, really?

I favor the now out of fashion idea of a 'melting pot' but come the gently caress on.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is it too much to say "refugees are coming in large numbers and keeping them in the 'first safe country' is an unfair strain on those countries because, again, the numbers are large "?

Spread the refugees around with a sharing system, get the UK to agree to take in some number of refugees that originally landed in Greece or what have you.

Is there going to be, like, a summit on this at some point?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Volkerball posted:

Another great effort post. Syrian moderates getting screwed itp.

Thank you. Like John green says, it's not easy being a moderate, thank you again for the post.

Edit: I'm at work thumbing away on a phone so I can't do the post justice. Beautiful, moving.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 10, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't being a moderate pretty much the easiest political perspective one can have? It's not a coincidence that so many people choose to self-identify as moderates, even if their actual views may line up with the Republican or Democratic parties. There's also nothing intrinsically more correct about being "moderate" than being on either end of the political spectrum (which is itself arbitrarily defined within the context of a given society); I think that many people just think of the colloquial definition of "moderate" and its positive connotation and just assume that moderates must be more calm and rational.

You're right, I choose a poor word and tried to fit a concept in where it didn't belong. However, regarding moderates: self identifying (in private or in other circumstances without real consequences) as being level headed, open minded, even handed is easy; actually adopting and standing for real moderation (meaning compromise and concessions to the other side, seen as a betrayal by whoever thought you were on 'their side' is harder..

However, I didn't mean to portray pro-democracy Syrians as being politically centered in a spectrum bracketed by Assad and ISIS; I only meant to suggest that they're getting it coming and going.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

People smuggler.

• Locked thread