Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

V. Illych L. posted:

yes we're doing things, we are not doing enough and what we're doing is in large part half-arsed. we need to have a long-term plan, is what i'm saying, not just emergency measures, because this civil war isn't going anywhere, and living for years in refugee camps is a recipe for any number of disasters. atm we're funding refugee camps and provisional solutions. this is not sustainable in the medium or long term.

for your other point, those were the major refugee hotspots i recalled off the top of my head, so it's obviously incomplete. refugee crises of this sort are obviously not isolated to europe, and if this current crisis is telling us anything it's that the world is increasingly interconnected - another country i left out is Colombia, where millions are fleeing the civil war between the government and FARC, for instance - i also deliberately did not mention the perennial palestinian crisis because the post you responded to was in the Mid-East NO I/P DISCUSSION thread. regardless, this is nitpicking, and far from as devestating to the central point that you seem to imagine it is.

you're also conflating actual refugees with mainly economic migrants from the balkans, and assuming that i'm discussing purely european problems, which is reading quite a lot into my post which is not actually there. my position is that every major refugee crisis is a global problem, though obviously american problems are more convenient for other parties to help with.

We were in the ME thread, or at least I thought we were, discussing asylum seekers fleeing to Europe, and that's why South Sudanese (and now Colombian and Palestinian) refugees are not pertinent to the EU discussion. Colombian refugees are heading to Ecuador, Venezuela, Panama and other countries in the region. Those from Kosovo are considered under the United Nations definition of a refugee as seeking asylum and should be processed as such, regardless of that they are escaping poverty and high unemployment. Someone isn't a refugee until they claim refuge in a country, until then they are an asylum seeker traveling through the country. Once they have claimed asylum they are then a refugee until it is determined they are not in a legal process called the Refugee Status Determination.

To address the issue of refugees dying at sea or on their perilous journey to Europe, we need to look at where each group are coming from, and address the issues in those countries with a multilateral and global response and address the layers of issues that causes people to flee. This means: effectively stopping conflict (whether through sanctions, intervention, or diplomacy), providing a process for people to claim asylum as close to the country of origin as possible, for the world to agree on a fair, equitable and dignified distribution of refugees with support to integrate them into society, and reconstructing the country of origin and economy and providing sustainable development.

I don't think we necessarily disagree with each other. I've worked with refugees for a while now, and I'm currently in Iraq supporting refugees and IDPs under the UN flag. To really see the devastation and hopelessness makes me very passionate about refugee rights and advocacy, so apologies if I come off as nitpicking.

For the sake of the thread, I want to define what an asylum seeker, refugee and migrant are because language is important when discussing these issues as it can dehumanize and and can be subversive when used wrongly whether or purpose or not.

Asylum Seeker: Someone who has left their country of origin to escape persecution to claim asylum in another country. They are not a refugee until claiming to be one. This means they can cross multiple countries and still not claim refugee status. Many people do this for different reasons, but it is not illegal.

Refugee: someone who has claimed asylum in a country and under the UN definition of a refugee meets the criteria. A country does not have to accept them as a refugee for them to be one, they just need to meet the criteria in reality regardless of the country's determination of status or laws.

Internally Displaced Person: Someone fleeing persecution in their own country from where they lived, but still reside within the borders. Usually living in a camp, with a relative, or are renting/have purchased elsewhere, and can't return back to their residency.

Migrant: There are a whole bunch of definitions for international migrant, emigrant, and migration worker; but they don't matter in this context because we're talking about asylum seekers and refugees.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Well, that's an optimistic outcome, if that poll is reliable. I'd love to see one done with those questions in Australia.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

my dad posted:

Haven't a clue. Not anime, at least that much I can be certain. We were talking about the refugee crisis, and when I asked her why she hates Muslims so much (it never came up before, but became obvious during the conversation), she told me what happened to her in Sweden, and I went :stonk: She's not a person I have a reason to distrust about this.

Well one, I think your friend is full of poo poo and is probably a loon. To answer the question though, by integrating the refugee's into the communities responsible and appropriately, which isn't hard to do if you're not retarded. So yeah.. this is grade A fear mongering type propaganda which is why people are so scared of the 'muzloms'.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Celexi posted:

its really nice to see americans wondering why we might not want new people or why it probably is all bad as they write on their keyboards comfortably from north america.

yes there are toxic communities in europe, and yes they are dangerous to accidentally walk into, who's fault is that they exist i don't know but most people do not want more of such toxic communities to exist

I'm typing comfortably in iraq actually, and the fact you don't know who's fault it is that 'toxic' communities exist shows how much you should probably comment on a topic you know little about. What it does show though is how people fear what they don't understand. It's not like refugees create toxic communities, and they have fled from their homes in syria which were toxic communities. they're people with families and children and who were forced to flee.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/09/04/eu-five-steps-tackle-refugee-crisis

EU: Five Steps to Tackle Refugee Crisis

I agree with all of these, but yeah number 6: help support a unified response to stop conflicts where these refugees are coming from and redevelop their countries so they have a place to live and thrive.

quote:

Shut the hell up. These things happen, especially in low income areas where extremism thrives. You are in no position to question how a working class/poor ethnic Swede feels or their experiences regarding islamic immigrants.

I'm tired of rich and intolerant people on this forum hating on the poor and working class.

To prescribe one rape allegation heard from another person in a community that is predominantly from an immigrant or refugee background to refugees escaping conflict and that being a reason to not accept refugees in your country is the intolerance. So you shut the hell up.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 5, 2015

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Azran posted:

Can anyone point me to any place that lists refugee rights?

Yeah, all three of these apply to refugees:

The 1951 Refugee Convention
http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49da0e466.html

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Convention on the Rights of the Child
http://www.ohchr.org/en/professionalinterest/pages/crc.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Azran posted:

Thank you! There was a huuuge debate about this at my uni today, and the two postures were "Well, they aren't refugees till they actually get to a country and ask for help" and "They aren't refugees till a country deems them so, and only if they actually take them in" with a side helping of "Hm, isn't it weird that they are going to Germany and Austria instead of just staying in Hungary/Italy/Greece?"

We aren't even Europeans!

No problem. They are refugees the moment they leave their country and are escaping for the reasons listed in the convention. This is fact. They are asylum seekers when they claim refuge in a country and go through a refugee status determination process. Even if the country doesn't take them in for whatever reason, but they meet the criteria on the convention, they are still refugees. The convention supersedes country laws if that country has signed the convention. Refugees that pass through other countries and then claim asylum are completely legal to do so.

• Locked thread