Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
He's right kids have been dying every day in the same way for months but because there weren't photos plastered everywhere people could just push it to the back of their minds. He probably intends it in a "So we shouldn't care" way, rather than "We are disgusting for not caring before" way, though.

Literally the only reason David Cameron cares about this is because it is absolutely awful publicity for him. In the morning he was all ready to stick to his "gently caress 'em" line, but as it became readily apparent over the course of yesterday that even other Tories thought he was being a heartless bastard and it was not playing well his hand was forced and he had to agree to take more refugees. Which is a good thing, but it's really bad that that is what it took for him to pretend to be a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

katlington posted:

Which people didn't care before now? Kaal is assuming people posting in this thread didn't care until now because it suits them. David Cameron might only care because of polls but David Cameron isn't posting in this thread.
I was talking about the reddit comment Nonsense quoted, although I guess Kaal is going for the same sort of argument. And a lot of people didn't care, including a huge chunk of the British public and most of our tabloid press. Suddenly, now there's a human face to thousands of people drowning, they do care, and that means Cameron has to pretend to care. I guess I share some of Kaal's cynicism that they will continue to be bothered once this fades from the public eye, but I think that's an indefensible thing rather than an oh well thing.

I wouldn't presume anyone in this thread is only just now becoming concerned because of one particular tragic incident that made big news out of hundreds of similar ones, because people on here tend to be fairly well informed of world events and have functioning senses of empathy and compassion. Unfortunately that can't be said for everyone.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

tumblr.txt posted:

You didn't answer my question. Is being unable to have any more kids worse than drowning or being shot in a warzone?

Also I am an Australian, and we successfully "Stopped the Boats". I can share more about our solution if you like?
Yeah, the Australian system is really disgusting, maybe you could enlighten people on why we shouldn't be looking at prison islands as something to aspire to.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Cameron was sticking to "We can only solve this at source" until he was embarassed by that dead boy. Like bombing the poo poo out of ISIS and Assad was going to help all the people who are currently refugees drowning in the sea. If it will even help anyone.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
This came up in the UKMT, but it's worth bringing up here.

It's important to remember when Cameron talks about accepting "up to" 20,000 children from camps around Syria's borders, that we won't be granting them refugee status, we will in fact be granting them leave to remain until just before their 18th birthday at which point they will be deported to their country of origin.

Noxville posted:

There's not even a good rationale for this, it's just evil.

The Independent posted:

Syrian child refugees 'to be deported at age 18', says Paddy Ashdown

Syrian refugee children who are allowed into to the UK under new measures announced by David Cameron could be deported when they reach 18, it has been claimed.

Britain will resettle up to 20,000 refugees who have fled from the conflict in Syria, the Prime Minister announced, but some may not arrive until the end of the decade and could face deportation after they have been in the UK for five years.

Refugee groups and opposition politicians lined up to criticise the announcement made by Mr Cameron for being “pitifully short of what’s needed” to tackle the crisis. The Speaker of the Commons has granted an emergency debate on the issue today.

Mr Cameron claimed the UK’s new resettlement scheme would ensure that vulnerable children – including orphans – are a priority, following in the tradition of the Kindertransport programme that helped Jewish children escape from Nazi Germany.

But it later emerged all those accepted under the scheme will only be given the right to remain in the UK for five years. This, the former leader of the Liberal Democrats Lord Ashdown suggested, could mean orphans and children being deported at age 18 having made a new life in Britain. A government spokesman said that after the five-year period refugees could apply for indefinite leave to remain.

If you think this is such a pointless, cruel and inhuman measure that it can't possibly be actual government policy, the joke's on you, because it's already being done to Afghans.

The BBC posted:

The young people sent back to Afghanistan

Many unaccompanied children who have fled Afghanistan and had their asylum claim rejected in the UK are given until they are 18 before being sent back. For the past seven months the BBC has followed some of these young men. They face life in an unfamiliar and dangerous country, write Chris Rogers and Sue Clayton.

Najib makes his way nervously through the streets of Kabul. At 20, he is alone in one of the most dangerous countries in the world. On every corner heavily armed solders guard communities and government buildings. It is a city on the edge - there has been a surge of Taliban attacks in Kabul in recent weeks. "You can see it's dangerous," he says as army helicopters fly low across the city skyline, "It is getting worse here. There are bombs and explosions everywhere."

As an Afghan, you might expect Najib to be used to the Taliban violence, but the city is as strange to him as it would be to any foreigner.

He spent much of his childhood in the UK. Originally from Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand province, when his father and brother went missing his mother arranged for him to be got out of the country by agents. He spent months on the journey including walking through the mountains between Pakistan and Iran.

But Najib was deported by the Home Office back to his country of birth two years ago.

"I don't belong here, I wasn't educated here and I don't know the culture. Britain is my home," he says in a strong Midlands accent. Najib still sports a hairstyle that wouldn't be out of place on David Beckham and is wearing a trendy shirt, jeans and trainers.

He couldn't look more British, but he says that is a problem. "The Taliban attack the West here, people who work for the British government or even people who just come from Britain and America, It is dangerous here."

He looks on at the hopelessness around him - dozens of war widows are begging for money and food on their knees, while gangs of young Afghan men scrape a living offering their labour on street corners. There is 40% unemployment in a country struggling to recover from an endless war, and Najib wants out.

"I will leave Afghanistan and go to another country as a refugee," he says. "There is nothing for me here. Even if I get sent back I will just keep trying to leave Afghanistan."

Najib later jumps on to a bus out of Kabul with just a rucksack of belongings. He is heading to the border and plans to make his way back to Britain with the help of traffickers. It's the same 4,000-mile journey he made as an 11-year-old boy.

Since 2006, 5,500 unaccompanied Afghan children have reached the UK and claimed asylum. More than 80% of those who claimed persecution by the Taliban had their cases rejected.

But rather than send them straight back, the Home Office offers them a temporary life in Britain, usually with a foster family until the age of 18, when they must leave the country voluntarily or be deported.

The vast majority of the Afghan children who come to the UK are male. Families believe their daughters are too vulnerable to be sent alone on the path to Europe.
Najib spent most of his childhood in Southam near Leamington Spa with foster parent Linda.

"It was wrong to send him back, they are just pawns in a political process," she sobs as she flicks through an album of photos showing Najib's first day at the local school and the Christmases and birthdays they shared together. "He is a number so that anybody who wants to get political gain can say, 'We have sent this many people back'.

"How can they justify sending someone to a country they hardly remember when they have made a life for themselves here?"

Another former child asylum seeker placed in Linda's care faces deportation any day now. Faisal, now 19, can appeal against his deportation, but he is taking no chances after seeing what became of Najib. He has been in the UK since he was 14.

In a tower block several miles from his foster home, Faisal is making a bed on the floor of a friend's flat. He has gone on the run, moving addresses every few days. "I'm so scared the Home Office are going to pick me up," he says as he heads out on to the balcony, scouring the streets below. "I check for them every 20 to 30 minutes during the night. Early in the morning I'll leave and go and sleep somewhere else."

According to research by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, the Home Office has deported more than 600 failed child asylum seekers to Afghanistan since 2011. Nearly 500 more are earmarked for removal. Yet the government advises its own citizens not to travel to Afghanistan because of the threat of terrorism and kidnapping.
In a statement, the Home Office says it is proud of its history of giving asylum. "Where people establish a genuine need for protection, or a well-founded fear of persecution, refuge will be granted. Every case is carefully considered on its individual merits."

Refugee campaigners accuse the Home Office of effectively warehousing Afghan children - dismissing their claims of persecution in Afghanistan with the sole intention of deporting them when they become adults - to keep migrant numbers down.

Juliette Wales, of Kent Refugee Network, has tried to help hundreds of young Afghans appeal against their deportation. "It's tragic to see these kids who believe they are safe, working really hard and going to college, turn 18 years old and turn into the state they turn into, it's a waste of life."

Many of the former child asylum seekers we met are convinced they will be killed by the Taliban in Afghanistan, but their greatest fear is often losing the life they have made for themselves in Britain.

The Home Office does not monitor what becomes of deportees once they arrive in Kabul, but human rights campaigners do. According to a study of 200 failed child asylum seekers, they tend to turn to two options - escape Afghanistan by fleeing back to Europe, or escape reality by taking drugs.

Under a notorious bridge on the River Kabul, where a community of around 300 heroin users live in stream of rubbish and sewage, we find 23-year-old Ahmed. He claims he lived in Manchester for eight years - he's been back in Kabul living with his mother for 18 months.

"This is not a situation I am proud of. Today I promised my mother this would be the last day I take drugs," he say. But he admits it's a promise he has made many times.

"It eases the pain, this is my escape, I had a life in Manchester, but not here. I pray to God to get me out of this situation."
His thin, dirty face and soulless eyes suggest months of drug abuse, and he's not ready to quit escaping reality just yet. He waves goodbye as he makes his way back under the bridge for his next hit.

Another more detailed article here.

I genuinely never thought I would be quite this embarrassed and disgusted by my country.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I suppose it's slightly better that they're not doing it to literally every single one, but doing it to even one person is too many. It's just barbaric on a level that I don't know how the people doing it sleep at night or even begin consider themselves to be moral human beings. It's so lacking in humanity and compassion that it's difficult to articulate.

Like, I could maybe see it if Afghanistan wasn't still such a terrible place to be and the outcome of shipping a bunch of teenagers with no local knowledge and few connections to an underdeveloped warzone wasn't so obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

PerpetualSelf posted:

Maybe the goal is to put better people back in the country with the goal of stabilizing it? Brain drain is going to be a serious issue when you start accepting all these refugees.

I have has this feeling that there are solutions to these countries issues. But all the people who have the ability to solve things and make their country a better place end up leaving, making their countries a worse place and perpetuating a vicious cycle of ever decline that only ensures things will get worse not better.

We've certainly seen that happen in Cuba and Venezuela before.
Maybe we should be sending them into space to spread humanity's seed amongst the stars.

• Locked thread