Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I think its necessary for us to take care of the less fortunate of us and I welcome those refugees here who make it here.

But why exactly is it good that Sweden is moving them on here, it baffles me a bit that the people who come from way worse off places here complain about the food, lack of things to do and it being cold and dark.

From my understanding, what theyre experiencing now is part of establishing them here, I dont think they should be running around without being registered as asylum seekers first.

Why complain about free stuff, I understand where theyre coming from, no one wants to live like that but its the process.

But its a bit weird seeing presumably Americans in this thread moaning about the European responsibility while USA does very little for the refugees.

I personally dont feel Finland is a poo poo heap at the moment, none of the things going on have personally touched me. But then again, Im on student welfare.

But in the end, if you wanna come here come, I think everyone should be welcome, but its kinda weird hearing from asylum seekers that this place is poo poo and stuff they get is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

The U.S. is one of the, if not the biggest takers of refugees in the world.

So how many thousands of refugees from countries like Honduras, Venezuela, Vietnam, Iran, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. has your country taken in? I'm guessing next to none.

The U.S. has experienced multiple refugee crises without Europe caring, why should Americans suddenly start caring about the immigrant crisis in Europe?

Thanks for actually addressing a point in my Post. I will admit that I did not think of that, we did get vietnamese refugees back when, but obviously not on the same level as the USA I think.

But how many times has Europe been responsible for those refugee crises in the Americas? Indochina we can trace to French of course.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

There's a strong argument to be made that English common law led to the success of colonies like the U.S. and Canada.

The Spanish and French really hosed up everything south of the Rio Grande.

Welp, here goes my memory again, I agree that colonization of the Americas is partly to blame, no idea about the success of common law part, can you point me to any reading? Sounds interesting. But in a more near history, isnt USA the one that hosed around in South America along with USSR the most?

• Locked thread