Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Puistokemisti posted:

English as second language would make sense but Swedish People Party holds absurd amounts of political power compared to their actual size and will torpedo all proposals that affect swedish's position as second official language.

The Swedish People's Party holds approximately zero political power, but is useful to invoke as some kind of political boogeyman so that you can ignore the fact that keeping swedish as second official language is the overwhelming majority consensus among our political parties. Much like the chump change that housing refugees would cost is a useful political boogeyman to trot out to cover the fact that we in Finland have hosed our own economy and are about to gently caress it even more under the glorious leadership of the same people that are the most keen on blaming the foreign hordes for our country's woes.

Griffen posted:

Should you tell the 400,000 unemployed Finns and their European cohorts "eat poo poo son, we know this is your home and all, and that you need help, but don't you get it?! There's random strangers we need to help before you!"

Funnily enough the current government of Finland is in fact about to gently caress the poor and unemployed. Funnily enough, the current crop of rightwing governments in Europe are also busy loving the poor and unemployed, and in many cases were doing so long before the current refugee crisis started. It's almost like the problem is with bad economic policy and not swarthy people crossing the med.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ligur posted:

Pretend to care? What do you mean?

Anyway, this far I haven't seen anyone make the argument asylum seekers are taking the "jerb" from anyone. The problem is rather that people are worried there are no jobs for them to be had instead.

Economies do not automatically gain from immigration. In Finland, the average Somalian or Iraqi is a net loss of 13 000€ a year, while a German immigrant is a net gain of 2000€.

I juyst disproven ure myth.

Ligur posted:

Check out page 88 for net cost/gain per nationality. You don't need to be fluent in Finnish to view it. Page 90 tells us that the graph ends at about 13 000€/year in the negative.

edit: also, uhhm, what? When I open the document, page 47 is about basic health care...

Incidentlally page 88 is where appendix 1 starts, i.e. the one listing countries by continent. So you've linked to the wrong document, ya dumbo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PaleIrishGuy posted:

I was looking at the newly posted Mixed Migration Trend Report for August, and something caught my eye under the Egypt section.

The first thing there is that there is a new movement of irregular entries into Egypt, mainly comprised of Syrians, from Lybia and Sudan.

I'm genuinely a bit confused by this, since it's not like there is an easy route from Syria to Lybia. Not sure as well how this correlates with their later statment about numbers of irregular sea departures from Alexandria. I realize that this is likely a non-significant number of people crossing into Egypt like this, but i'm still a bit baffled by the particulars of getting to Lybia or Sudan to grt into Egypt. Unless these were people that had found temporary refuge in either of those coutries and are now looking for a better bet.

It's not like there's an easy direct route from Syria to Egypt either. I suspect that the refugees more or less go where they can.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

That first link contains an image in which a peeved man holds up a plate of what appears to be wet papier-mâché.

If that's what people eat on regular basis, no wonder it affects their cognitive abilities.

The second link reveals that the food had actually caused stomach problems for some people and that the refugee centre is overcrowded.The dude in charge of the local Red Cross even says that he understands perfectly well why the refugees are discontent.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PaleIrishGuy posted:

The food bit kinda sounds like lactose intolerance, given that they were given some sort of milky fish soup.

Strangely enough there are places in the world where everybody over the age of five is lactose intolerant, which is something that one maybe should take into account when people from those parts of the world flee to this frozen shithole of ours.

But I'm sure that they're just ungrateful bastards and don't want to eat our food out of pure spite.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

So I Googled the website you keep linking because the whole layout is suspicious and looks like a typical cheap tabloid rag website, and sure enough:

How tabloids like Ilta-Sanomat reinforce our prejudices against immigrants and refugees
http://www.migranttales.net/how-tabloids-like-ilta-sanomat-reinforce-our-prejudices-against-immigrants-and-refugees/

That's an article from 2013 and traces the incessant xenophobic campaigns of this tabloid over past decades, not just years. Turns out your favourite news source is a piece of racist, fear-mongering poo poo.

That clinches it, you are literally the lowest common denominator, willfully ignorant bigot, the same sort that reads Murdoch papers and votes for UKIP in the UK, or for Jobbik in Hungary.

Ilta-Sanomat is a tabloid rag, yes. Also it should be noted that the source for Ligur's last silver bullet rebuttal is a spokesperson for the catering company that has been providing these meals. i.e. the same people that have allegedly hosed up here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suppose we should add the concept of a company lying to cover its own rear end to the long list of things that Ligur doesn't understand, where it can join concepts such as statistics and how national debt works.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you don't accept everything that somebody tells you at face value, you're a paranoid cretin. Now let me tell you about how them swarthy people are all lying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suppose we have to add the credibility of sources to the list of things that Ligur doesn't understand, along with most everything else pertaining to journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not even the tabloid's word. The head of the local Red Cross said that refugees have been complaining about stomach problems, which were probably caused by lactose intolerance due to the catering company serving food with milk in it. Then the catering company claimed that they totally didn't do that. No actual investigation by the tabloid has been done.

So naturally this must mean that the Red Cross is lying and the catering company is totally telling the truth, because this interpretation supports Ligur's claim and this is how the credibility of sources is determined. Also everybody else is crazy and biased.

• Locked thread