Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What would be some reputable organizations to donate to that are involved in helping refugees at this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PerpetualSelf posted:

Maybe the goal is to put better people back in the country with the goal of stabilizing it? Brain drain is going to be a serious issue when you start accepting all these refugees.

I have has this feeling that there are solutions to these countries issues. But all the people who have the ability to solve things and make their country a better place end up leaving, making their countries a worse place and perpetuating a vicious cycle of ever decline that only ensures things will get worse not better.

We've certainly seen that happen in Cuba and Venezuela before.

I think that in general you shouldn't be sending people back to a country they already fled unless they volunteer to do so.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Unknown Dyne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upTBiQEow94
This guy gets it. Running to countries that have social benefits. This will be the downfall of europe.

1000k this year and 500k for each following year for years to come, Germany? At what point will the German people be tired of supporting increasing numbers of migrants?

Place enough migrants into Germany and the populace is not going to become tired of supporting migrants because the migrants are going to be Germany

Checkmate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Unknown Dyne posted:

Do you think the German people will sit idly by while traitors in their own Government cause the forced dissolution of German culture and of the very German people themselves?

No, but I also don't think the inevitable response is going to prevent a sea change, either.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

In your opinion is the only proper interpretation of that phrase to allow completely unlimited immigration into the US?

No, the proper interpretation of that phrase is that tired people, poor people, and people yearning to breathe free should be allowed to immigrate into the US.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

That could describe billions of people though. I just find it funny that a bunch of people who all want a high living wage, GMI, generous social safety nets, etc also are ok with bringing in massive quantities of very poor people. Those two things are simply not compatible.

We already don't have a high living wage, nor a GMI, nor a generous safety net, so it's not like there's anything to lose by bringing in the :airquote: massive quantities :airquote: of very poor people regardless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean it says so right there that it was a boat headed for Greece, not Germany nor Scandinavia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I read an article (not in english) which claimed the situation in Lebanon is getting worse because UNHCR and the World Food Program are both underfunded. So the people who can afford it are leaving for Europe and those who can't have to consider going back to Syria. Why is this? Is it due to the unprecedented scale of the crisis or has funding actually been slashed because of financial crisis and following troubles? It's pretty amazing how many factors are working towards making this the clusterfuck it is.

Also, maybe a better idea to ask this in the ME thread, but does anyone have any insight on whether there is an end in sight for the war? Seems Russia is getting more involved lately and I read something about them using Syria as leveraging in the conflict in the Ukraine.

It's my understanding that the number of displaced persons from the ME surged in 2013 and has been steadily rising year-on-year. There was no recent sudden surge of refugees so much as it took us this long to realize things were this bad. They're probably taxed as hell by now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TomViolence posted:

So, um, has anybody been kicking around the idea that with a looming demographic crisis in europe's near future as declining birth rates in the latter half of the twentieth century shrink the workforce, bringing in lots of new, young folk might be exactly what's needed to revitalise the economy? I'm a simple gently caress myself, so I don't really know where to start with it, but if anybody's been advancing this hypothesis or something similar I'd love to hear about it.

Also, if it's a dumb idea and a pipe dream and I'm just being thick I'm more than happy to accept that and also be told why.

You are correct, but that idea only works if the nation is willing to allow immigrants to take these jobs in the first place, which nativist rhetoric is rather won't to do.

And then as it turns out, denying people better economic prospects is a surefire way to breed dissent and extremism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ernie Muppari posted:

well yeah but it doesn't anticipate the influx of east asian immigration in the 20s and the sudden drop to 0 population in 83

It's true that if you have people immigrating to your country, then you don't need every "replacement human being" to be directly born out of currently existing citizens, but only if you're also willing to accept the immigrants as full citizens of their own right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any chance that Oz will change attitudes towards refugees now that Abbott's out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

willemw posted:

Some people are getting really angry about this Charlie Hebdo cartoon:

"So close to the goal"
"Promo: two children's menus for the price of one"

They say that it's mocking the little kid that drowned. They are idiots.

People have a proud, 9-month-long tradition of being willfully stupid about Charlie Hebdo cartoons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mikemil828 posted:

there isn't anything stopping refugees from being smuggled into a cargo container and braving the three week journey to America

Is this an actual extant option?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mikemil828 posted:

If you are really, REALLY desperate to get to the U.S., sure. Is anyone that desperate? No. Why? Because Europe is just plain the better option, even with the bandits, authoritarian police, etc.

Has anyone ever tried? Have there been documented instances of attempts, successful or otherwise?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as "just asking questions!", but my larger point is that I think you're somewhat playing this off as the refugees simply choosing where to go as if they could pick between Europe and America on a pros and cons list, rather than the far more real questions of safe passage and logistics.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Do you honestly think that sentence makes any sense whatsoever?

It's a joke about how refugees from the Middle East cannot and will not ever be able to integrate with Western society because their values are just inherently different.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well we certainly can't move America to be right next to Syria, so hands up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ligur posted:

For their own citizens. That is what a government in a state is for.

I don't think anyone here has so far suggested across your line of questioning that refugees resettled in Europe shouldn't be made citizens.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ligur posted:

You saying they should be made citizens just because they arrive to place X

Yes, otherwise I don't know why you're even asking about the possibility of them ever becoming "nice social democrats" and/or "new workers" if you're not going to allow them to be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ligur posted:

Where the gently caress did you come up with the idea that I hate foreigners?

Every post you've made so far on the topic has been playing coy with implementing restrictions on foreign entry and resettlement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Good bye europe, hope next time the US wants you to intervene in something you hop to it!

Certainly it'd be ironic if Europe's anti-immigration stance breeds the same kind of extremism and radicalism they'd rather avoid and then we'll see Europeans needing to make the same justifications for being let into the US that other posters are making here now on behalf of the Middle Easterners.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's an interesting dynamic playing out where Finland is both nice enough that that's what's inciting people to try to get there instead of stopping in the Balkans and the sudden influx of refugees will wreck the humming economy, while simultaneously being a jobless barren tundra so please don't go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

awesome-express posted:

Provided you integrate and contribute to society.

That people first need to pass through a country's strict immigration laws, compounded by declining to provide food and shelter for them under the guise of "welfare leeches", compounded by sentiment against their ability to acquire good and full employment under the guise of "taking away jobs from real citizens", makes it exceedingly difficult for immigrants to integrate and contribute to society.

Which then creates a feedback loop where the immigrants really don't get to integrate nor become productive citizens (or even just citizens, period), which reinforces the belief that they need to be treated harshly since they're not grateful to the country that deigned to take them in, and on and on and on.

• Locked thread