Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

CommieGIR posted:

Who the gently caress would want to go to Saudi Arabia? Or the UAE? Or Qatar?

Seriously, most of these people are fleeing the sort of people in those countries.

Why is the liberal democracy of Israel, right next door, not taking in refugees? Because they're probably drafting settlement plans for their former land that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

PerpetualSelf posted:

You know that Interstellar is a documentary right?

I think South America and Central America could potentially take some of the refugees.

Welp, It's not SAmerica but certain parts of Mexico are just as bad as Syria at times. I'm thinking of applying for my German Government provided flat, pension and blonde any day now if this drug war keeps up.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The border closing is aimed at other non-cooperative EU states, they've made this fairly clear. No one can realistically blame Germany for not stepping up to the occasion.

If anything, the EU has proven itself (both in the debt crises and migrant crisis) to be fair-weather alliance ruled by FYGM and NIMBY attitudes, and is due to either transform or collapse soon.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Going to be an unlucky draft for the 800ish going to Bulgaria, where decades of reform have shredded any welfare programs and jobs pay next to nothing.

On the bright side side, its not a frozen wasteland most of the time and food is really close to arabian cuisine due to centuries of Ottoman rule, so we have that in common.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

It's even easier if you are in the EU because bang, there is 27 other countries wide open for you. We don't do it as much because we don't really have to in order to massively benefit our lives but people do it all the time with few, if any true difficulties. You'll get housing and support too because you would be a legal immigrant. There are millions and millions of poorer EU citizens moving into wealthier ones. Poles in UK is probably the most common example of that but most are going into Germany. And people are whining just as much about that.

As you mention, this has been a huge issue blown totally out of proportion by UK conservatives, but at this point legislation has been passed that prevents you from getting any government help at all if you haven't been working in the country for a year or so.

There are already big barriers being enacted against legal migrants. I can only imagine the hurdles that these refugees will have to go through.

And about the quota system... Once we get into the fine print it becomes really complicated. Points such as financing, freedom of movement, assimilation programs, etc will have to be handled really delicately. They'll probably gently caress it up.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Finland was barely on my radar before this thread. Now I have them categorized as backwards xenophobes with delusions of grandeur. Good job keeping the immigrants out of the barren jobless frozen tundra I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

'Oooh, 153 new posts in the Refugee thread. Surely something important happened'

Nope, mostly shitposting.

• Locked thread