Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah it's fair enough that people want to avoid spoilers, and I will admit that I found the initial part of the book easier to handle than the second part. But it's still a great read, and it's easy to see the DNA that was later used for most mystery novels. Difference is that Collins was looser and the novel more sprawling, but that's what gives it character. Take some of that stuff out and you essentially have an Agatha Christie book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, and this is my comment:

The real question I have about the book is the extent to which Collins was deliberately painting the Indian characters as heroes. To a modern reader they come across that way; they certainly seem to win in the end; but I'm not sure what message Wilkie was trying to send. Was he defending "natives" ? Implicitly critiquing colonialism? Just writing a good story that played on the doubts as to the validity of their colonial enterprise that even the most British Britisher must have, on some level, had? I don't know!

To me it read that Collins was a little more sympathetic to their plight and was actually critiquing colonialism. But at the same time there's this thinly veiled stereotypical portrayal of the Indians that slightly undercuts that somewhat. Though it could be argued that he was just using the language and ideas of the time to do it. I remember thinking the opening in particular had a sort of 'Boys Own Adventure' feel to it that ends up being out of place with the rest of the book.

• Locked thread