Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
will the script be updated for leadership changes? Cuz right now my leadership level is 20-22 and all it does is fight spellplagued :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Skilleddk posted:

will the script be updated for leadership changes? Cuz right now my leadership level is 20-22 and all it does is fight spellplagued :v:

FelixReynolds posted:

[*]Leadership has been removed from the Gateway.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

As of the patch today, it is back in. You can once again use Leadership in the Gateway.

The caveat? Very few tasks (all rares and thus unreliable) reward AD anymore. So you could totally still use your former leadership farms to turn out Resonant Bags or Enchanted Coffers or what have you, but not more direct AD generation. Another option is possibly Unified Elements, which you can then sell on the AH.

Additionally, prices on a lot of high-value items seem to be crashing, Horn of Lostmauth (the set for which is currently bugged/WAI depending on whom you ask and BiS for most DPS classes in the game) went from 1.5m and up to <900k inside of 12 hours.

Lord Fargo
Mar 27, 2009

I love one ups
Archeage refugee here, looking to get back into Neverwinter again.

Cevapi@Subicful

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I haven't played this in forever but a friend and I are picking it back up. Warlock and Paladin sound cool. Are they both solid from start to finish? I did see the OP saying paladins are good for leveling. I don't care about being broken overpowered, just not having a lame experience.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
You should never die as a paladin while leveling. In my experience, you can grab an entire section of a dungeon and AOE them down. Early on, your daily power can one-shot bosses. At later levels it's less effective, but your survivability goes even higher.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Glass of Milk posted:

You should never die as a paladin while leveling. In my experience, you can grab an entire section of a dungeon and AOE them down. Early on, your daily power can one-shot bosses. At later levels it's less effective, but your survivability goes even higher.

I started one on Xbone to check out. Basically all I do is run around to grab everyone. Charge to knock everyone down to half health then hold down the right trigger to spam the normal attack. Bodies laying at my feet in 1.2 seconds.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Dear leaderer, when might you be online?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Fog Tripper posted:

Dear leaderer, when might you be online?

No idea if you're talking about me, but I'll be around tonight. Fighting off the plague for the last few days but haven't forgotten about you or the PMs!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Well..color me surprised.

This is actually really, really good.

http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1204516/

Doesn't fix everything, and there is still a LOT to work on...but this is a really solid step and if they're willing to be this extreme (75% reduction of prices across the board on everything except going ranks 10-12) in trying to rebalance costs then who knows, things could start getting better.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That's a nice change. I'm still not parting with any AD until they figure out all the necessary steps. I'm interested in seeing if they'll be doing any solo AD-generating stuff.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Kind of glad that they are taking steps rather than one fell swoop of doom. Comprehensive is a bad thing.

Really hope they drastically increase AD generation while leveling. Running a dungeon twice for the same as I was getting for one run and a key before is asinine, and whoever thought that was a step in the right direction should be sacked.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
By the by, how many of us goons are actually still playing at this point? Since I began I have seen a top end of 3 of us online at once.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I promised this earlier, so let's have another effortpost.

THE CAMPAIGNS -- THINGS TO DO IN PVE WHEN YOU'RE 70

Sharandar was the first campaign zone, consisting of daily refreshed PVE content with some other attendant bits and bobs. In future releases additional campaigns were added. The Dread Ring, Icewind Dale, and a much less "endgame" campaign called the Tyranny of Dragons that later got an endgame presence in the Well of Dragons.

Now, the campaign zones unlock at 60 and you can just walk right in. Kind of walk right in. There are some prelude quests in a couple of places. But you'll be running up against the harsh reality of numbers: Sharandar's enemies are level 71, the Dread Ring is level 72, and Icewind Dale and the Well of Dragons are 73.

Also, the experience is kind of crap compared to the vigilance quests, like 1/10 the payout in some places, though you will pick up random trash greens that probably have better stats than your quest reward blues, assuming you've got enough fight power to kill your targets in the first place. So I guess, try if you want, but if you're having trouble clearing the Sharandar and Dread Ring intro quests you will not get on well in the zones themselves.

But this is an overview of what the campaigns are, how they operate, and any rewards and other features tied to them. Most campaigns will have quests that refresh daily at rollover and weekly on Mondays and some kind of progressive unlock structure.

Campaigns operate through Campaign Tasks, which are accessed from the little banner icon in your menu bar. A task can be greyed-out, indicating you can't even try it; orange, meaning you're missing some requirements; or yellow, which means you're clear to attempt it. Campaigns will also grant Boons, which are like tiny feat trees available from the "boons" tab in your character sheet. Generally boons will start out as simple statistic bonuses and upgrade to neater effects, like a chance to proc 20,000 arcane damage on all your attacks or slowly building up a rampage counter until it gives you a bunch of power and critical strike for a short time afterward.

SHARANDAR -- GET A JOB YOU HIPPIE ELVES

The "To the Furthest Forest" quest will spawn an "Old Sharandar Ruins" area at level 60. The quest is a pretty straightforward run through a woodland landscape that gives way to the more fey aesthetic of Sharandar, introducing the Redcaps who'll be your main opposition in the new zone. Take the time to look around if you're curious - you won't be back here, as the area vanishes from the world map, replaced with a portal to Sharandar.

Zone Structure, Currency, and Unlocks

Sharandar contains three subzones: the Blighted Grove, the Moonlight Fens, and Malabolg's Outpost. Each has three questgiver contacts and its own mini-lair and major lair. Sharandar has five currencies: Gold Crescents, the general currency; Feywild Sparks, the factor-of-time currency; and Vibrant Seedlings/Abjuring Charms/Ilyanbrunen Blades, which are currency specific to each subzone.

The zones unlock in order: currency from the Blighted Grove is needed to unlock the Moonlight Fens, currency from which is needed to unlock Malabolg's Outpost, but each subzone will be available indefinitely after you've unlocked it.

Once you've completed the zone, you'll get a chance to buy Ilyanbrunen jewelry, which is generally not worth it, cash subzone currency in for Gold Crescents, or obtain a Fey Blessing enchantment, a utility-slot enchantment with a chance to spit an account-bound level-appropriate enhancement into your inventory, generally rank 4 or 5 - remember that enhancements can be used as fodder for ranking up other enhancements or for artifacts. Fey Blessings are considered Rank 8 for purposes of upgrading.

The Combat

Just a quick primer on Redcaps: there are two little guys, Powries and Witherers, and they're both annoying. Powries will charge up a rune attack that drains your entire action point die if it connects. Witherers will float up into the air and fire a blue beam at their target to completely recover its HP. Yes, even if it's a dungeon boss. Clear the chaff, people.

Also, the fomorian witches will create a big circle effect that will turn you into an animal when it finishes, effectively disabling you. Nothing notable here, but it's kind of funny to see your companion wolf turn into a more different wolf who doesn't know how to fight.

The Daily Quests

Each subzone contains three questgivers, two of which will send you to areas in that zone to complete specific tasks, the last of whom will give you a kill or interact task that can cover the whole subzone. Rarely one of the questgivers will instead give you something to do in the mini-lair: the Feydark Breach for the Blighted Grove, the Quickling Den for the Moonlight Fens, and the War Makers' Camp for Malabolg's Outpost. These mini-lairs are short affairs and don't really have much challenge over and above the zone as a whole, aside from one notable fight - a fomorian shaman in the breach, a fey witch in the quickling den, and three destroyable catapults which summon adds in the camp. There is a treasure chest to loot in the last room of each, but it's just a regular lair chest.

Every subzone will also have one questgiver with a daily task to clear out the proper lair for each subzone: the Gnarlroot Caves for the Blighted Grove, the Witch Fen for the Moonlight Fens, and the Tower of Celadine for Malabolg's Outpost. These are proper dungeons, with a full complement of skill nodes and side pathways and a lair boss with That One Boss Trick of summoning adds. However, you can only open the reward chest with a Dark Fey Key, and while you can pick up one daily from the leprechauns just outside each dungeon, they share a cooldown. The keys stack so you can save up three and then clear everything out, but just keep in mind that if you go full-throttle you won't be getting full rewards from two of the lairs. Celadine is the one with an actual chance at a new companion and some neater gear.

In addition to that, the elf by the central grove will have a daily quest to collect three Feydark Crystals from any unlocked area and reinforce the tree there. That quest awards 10 sparks and 7 crescents; every other quest will award 1 crescent and 1 location subcurrency, and I think there's only 1 crescent in the lair reward chests too.

About the only extra advice on offer is that if you want to do all the quests one day, get them all at once and read everything before doing anything. Often, you can get some cross-subzone stuff going. Later subzones will require you to get things from Thorns or Giantsouls, which are Redcap types you may fight in earlier subzones and they'll drop the thing there. Same with gathering up Cyclops eyes - they have a presence in all three subzones, so you might notch most of those early.

The Weekly Quest(s)

Weekly there'll be a lair called the Arcane Reservoir. Hop in, clear it out, and be mindful of the bombs the Redcaps set and how they explode. That's 50 sparks.

Other Notable Rewards

Everything awards Thaumaturgic Stones, which are a special type of refining stone that only works on enhancements and runestones. Aside from the quest for feydark crystals, every daily quest awards a minor stone worth 2500, every proper lair has stones worth 5000 in the end chest, and the weekly offers stones worth at least 10,000.

In addition, the lairs are guaranteed to award enhancement shards. The Gnarlroot Caves award terror weapon enchantments, which inflict bonus necrotic damage and drop the defense of what they hit. The Witch Fen awards feytouched weapon enchantments, which make your encounter powers siphon attack power from your enemies and give it to you. The Tower of Celadine awards elven battle armor enchantments, which improve your resistance to crowd control. Like all other shards, they're effectively rank 6 but need to be combined into a rank 7 enchantment, and always combine at a 1% rate.

Other Notable Challenges

Also associated with Sharandar are the "Master of the Hunt" skirmish and the "Malabolg's Castle" dungeon.

The skirmish is a simple affair, with battle arenas gated off by retracting vines that ends in a fight with a Horned Man-inspired boss, who likes to charge around the place trampling everyone . It awards a few Gold Crescents and has a chance to drop a shard of barkshield armor enchantment, which creates an ablative shield around you that stacks and periodically renews.

Malabolg's Castle is pretty much War Maker's Camp writ large, until Malabolg dies in act 2 of 3 leaving you to chase down Valindra in an effective preview of the next campaign level. The final boss is actually one of her pet dragons, who will take off for strafing runs at 75% and 25% (don't stand in red if you want to live) and the whole time Valindra will be off-screen harassing you, throwing down rune-circles which explode for serious knockback, occasionally grabbing someone in a giant hand that needs to be destroyed, and summoning a powerful warrior through a "soul casket" that needs to be clicked on and destroyed. In addition to rewarding like a T1 dungeon run, Alliance armor sets and all, it drops parts of the Seladrine artifact set, which restores some health to you after you take a large hit. One of the campaign tasks will grant you a key to an extra dungeon chest at the end.

THE DREAD RING -- YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE TUTORIAL ALREADY, DIDN'T YOU

You'll pick up "The Ashen Battlefield" at the same time as "To the Furthest Forest" and it functions similarly - run through the trenches of a battlefield, preview the Thayans and Thayan accessories you'll be fighting. It ends on kind of a neat note where the adventurers from the promo video show up at the end to help you fight a chufty undead opponent. But again, you only get one shot at it. Afterward it's replaced by the Dread Ring.

There are no unlocks in this campaign. The zone itself can be thought of as three approaches to a central Thayan spire, which will let you into the Dread Spire, the Phantasmal Fortress, or the Death Forge depending on how high up they take you.

There is, however, a time-relevant mechanic such that you can get into one of those lairs free per day for bonus rewards, on a rotating weekly schedule that also determines what contest is active in the overworld zone. Monday and Friday are just bonus Vanguard Scrip, the generic currency, but the other days give you a chance at Greater Marks of the various artifact types.

You will quickly get access to a gauntlet that opens a ghostly floating version of a chest at the end of these lairs, the rewards for which upgrade through various campaign tasks. There isn't a neat utility enchantment at the end of the tree, just some (probably) outdated gear.

Boons are racked up in parallel with decoding of the Thayan Ciphers you find in each daily lair -- and only while following the lair quest. No running the same thing multiple times to speed things up.

Anyway, the currency. You get Vanguard Scrip from the various missions, and Thayan Ciphers and Thayan Scrolls from the daily tower raids.

The Combat

If you remember the devils from Helm's Hold you'll have a good grasp on the only notable supporting enemy. There are some undead but undead are made to be chaff. Oh, also some Howlers, big ol' cat things with an AoE pounce attack. They're kind of neat.

But the stars here are the Red Wizards. Conjurers will throw a big ol' fireball or create a snowstorm around themselves, Illusionists will summon exploding rifts or make two copies of themselves that like to stand in front of the recticle, and Conjurers will bring in more dudes - tiny circles bring in Imps, larger circles bring in a Legion Devil, and no circle at all will bring in a giant red circle with a Xeg'Ya at its center, a legacy-named creature from the Negative Material Plane notable here only for a) its complete squishiness and b) its rapid-fire drain on your Action Point die that isn't significant but will interrupt pretty much any daily by running you out of gas during the windup to it.

The Daily Quests

Most days will center around Sergeant Knox picking you a lair and three out of the dozen or so NPCs from throughout the game who've shown up in the siege camp to be questgivers activating in response, giving you quests around that lair approach. Saturday and Sunday let you choose the lair and the questgivers are more scattershot. These quests award Vanguard Scrip and an artifact bag with 5000 RP worth of random artifact stones. There's also the lair itself, which I've already talked about the rewards for.

Also once per day, you can forge a gauntlet to open those bonus chests, if you don't have one already.

One thing to keep in mind - generally you can stick to one area to finish the quest, but there is a daily quest in the rotation to place wards on 3 piles of coffins, and the Arsenal and the Quarry have two coffin piles each.

The Weekly Quest(s)

Weekly, Sergeant Knox will tell you to go kill three Red Wizards in the easiest weekly ever, for a chest with I think 10000 RP worth of stones in it and a catchup bag of Thayan Scrolls.

Other Notable Rewards

Artifact stones only work on artifacts of one type, which can work out alright for you if you've done enough of the unlock quests to have all three types available, or two types and one from your free artifact at level 21 or so.

No extra enchantment shards here or anything, but the gauntlets top out at sometimes giving you a tier 6 enchantment of one of the basic types, and a chance at the Lathander set, which gives bonuses on resurrection.

Other Notable Challenges

Also associated with the Dread Ring are the "Dread Legion" skirmish and the "Valindra's Tower" dungeon.

The skirmish is a single large battle arena that pits you against waves of undead, then Thayans, then portals that summon devils. The extra portal in the second wave summons those shocktroop guys, and while you may not be able to focus it down before it spits one out you can at least stop it from getting two out.

Valindra's Tower actually starts with you thwarting Valindra, that thing all those daily quests were supposedly for, so good job there, and then chasing her back to Thay to wreck house through a giant gauntlet of the various types of Thayans. Her end boss form will have very familiar tricks if you've done the Malabolg's Castle fight (if not, look up), but here's her countdown. At 75% and 25% she does a strafing run, except with stripes that all pass through the center of the tower rather than running in parallel. Also slowly tracking ghosts with a big necrotic aura tick, so just square up with your team which direction you're all running and try to stick to that. At 50% she summons eight or so Soul Caskets, which won't explode into kickass warriors if you all split up appropriately to deal with them. At 10% she summons way too many Soul Caskets, so just ignore them and pour the damage on. Rewards here in addition to Alliance pieces are the Valindra's Guard set, which improves your control powers and control resist as a set bonus. There's a campaign task for a key to another chest at the end.

TYRANNY OF DRAGONS -- ENDGAME IS IMPRESSIVE, BUT NOW MINSC LEADS! DAILIES FOR EVERYONE!

Yep, this is a campaign that unlocks as you get access to various zones, while you're still leveling. It takes place in (unused? freshly added?) areas of the Neverdeath Graveyard, Ebon Downs, Icespire Peak, Rothe Valley, and the Whispering Caverns, and while you're there you will be level-capped to something appropriate for the zone, which will grant you rewards on par with your proper level through some arcane codewizardry. Of course, your equipment can outclass these areas and you'll likely be steamrolling everyone if you come in at endgame.

Each new area is pretty small and there's one new attached questgiver - back at the main hub at Neverdeath and Icespire Peak, more attached to the new area in the other three zones. The zones do unlock in level order in that various "assistance tasks" will need to be completed several times to unlock the next one, and the unlock procedure for the next zone will generally involve doing the two dailies each zone has on offer, to get you familiar with what's demanded.

There are lots of currencies here - Cult Secrets are for dailies in the first three zones, Dragon Sigils for doing daily lairs and for dailies in the last two zones, Arcane Lore as questgiver rewards for the whole thing, Dragon Hoard Coins as a more global reward. And a couple more in the Well of Dragons, which will be its own thing later on.

There are plenty of rewards to collect and covet, but most continually-relevant are the Dragon Hoard Enchantments, which have a percentage chance to drop either Resonance Stones, which specifically improve artifact equipment, or generic Refining Stones which are gemstones that will put RP into anything, including the 5K Flawless Sapphires and 10K Black Opals. Still account-bound, through.

When you complete Whispering Caverns you'll unlock the Portal to Tuern, which is a one-off quest that unlocks the skirmish and lair in addition to a new weekly.

The Combat

There will be overworld dragon fights in every zone. Pay attention and learn how the dragons operate - this is your only chance now that most of the dungeons are gone.

Black Dragonwings are the minions but if they complete their rune charge they'll basically hulk out and be really annoying and fast attackers. Whites will do a giant extended spin attack that spits out freezing boulders in every direction. Greens are archers with a powerful line attack and an area trap that will root you if you're caught in its center. Blues are melee fighters with a directional shield that completely blocks attacks, though you can hit them from behind to break it. Assassin Drakes hang back and spit, Rage Drakes get in and do a regular spin attack.

Oh, and there are red (fire) and green (poison) golems who will do a big wind-up sword swing with a tiny arc and a giant damage potential.

The Daily Quests

Daily, Harper Boward in Protector's Enclave will have a quest called "Common Cause", which wraps up three subtasks - kill 25 cultists, do a lair from another contact in Protector's Enclave, do the daily non-dragon quest from a zone contact.

Every zone contact will also get two quests, one to kill an overworld dragon, which isn't needed for Common Cause, and one to do one of their starter tasks over again. You can potentially pick up a lot of campaign currency per day, but there's the hassle of getting there and finding a zone instance where the dragon spawned.

The lair quest will lock you to and spawn at level 70, so people group up for it all the time. It doesn't have gold-bordered enemies or anything, so two people or three if you're low-level will be enough to clear it.

The Weekly Quest(s)

Weekly, Harper Boward will task you to defeat one of the cult dragons for a kicker of Arcane Lore pages. If you've done the Portal to Tuern, you also get to do a redux version where you fend off a cult assault on several fronts.

Other Notable Rewards

The cult dragons have a chance to drop bits of the Imperial Dragon set and components to a level 60 main-hand weapon, which was a bigger deal back in the day.

They'll also drop (and tasks will reward) Draconic Enchantments, which boost three parameters and which I've found to be more useful on offense than defense. Overall, four Draconics are a slightly bigger boost than four other Enhancements boosting the same things in the same ratios, but it's your call whether all of them are actually useful.

Other Notable Challenges

Once you've done the Portal to Tuern, you'll unlock the "Shores of Tuern" epic skirmish and the "Lair of Lostmauth" dungeon.

The skirmish is a running battle through Cult of the Dragon forces, with a possible interlude for some very lost Icewind barbarians or just more dragon forces, and it ends in a battle with a dragon sorceror and two Rage Drakes. Killing a Rage Drake will power up the sorceror. Killing two will stack the buff. It may be useful to have someone occupying one of the drakes while you kill the other one and the sorceror. It actually takes a dungeon key at the end and drops Alliance gear, with a chance for a book to unlock tier 4 boons.

The Lair of Lostmauth is a series of big setpiece battles with hardly any filler, making it a popular target, and I think it's technically supposed to follow right after Shores of Tuern. Clear four random groups in the overworld (usually this will be three golems and one patrol). Fight a drake rider who splits from his drake at 50% and gets a powerup if it dies first. Go through a randomly-determined section of Lostmauth's approach with more platforming down the door to the left and more combat to the right. Fight twin fire scorpions, one of whom you may wish to have someone lure away, and get kind of a preview of the many kinds of red Lostmauth will expect you to not stand in. Stop a last desperate cult attack, with dudes who look gold-bordered but are actually weaker than regular cult fighters.

Lostmauth is just damage zones damage zones damage zones in your face all the time. Parts of his platform will get submerged in molten gold to split the party, the ceiling will drop on you, fireballs will zip out and knock you around, and that's in addition to conventional dragon pain areas. At 50% he'll fly off and the platform will get almost totally submerged and you'll have a few people dodging around a tiny pentagon (each pick a point, move to the center to dodge), and when he comes back more of the platform will sink at once and he'll get a gaze attack - get someone else between you and him and it'll hurt them much less than it would hurt you. You can party-wipe here to nothing more than bad luck - if you had the numbers to get through the twin fire scorpions, you have the numbers for Lostmauth.

Both the skirmish and the lair have campaign tasks granting them keys for an extra chest drop.

ICEWIND DALE -- FROM THAT ONE GAME, WHAT WAS IT CALLED AGAIN?

Icewind Dale used to require a third-tier boon from either of the first two campaigns to unlock. It doesn't, now, you can just catch the boat and you're there. It is, however, a hard zone to fight in.

There are two subzones - Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley. Unlocks are all gated by a daily task to give you town reputation, which at various tiers will let you unlock Dwarven Valley, various levels of Black Ice crafting, and improve daily quest opportunities and rewards.

The Portal to Tuern shows up on the map here, but it's not unlocked through this campaign. It's just, the portal's up here so it shows on the map.

Reputation is kind of a currency here, but it piles up automatically. The currencies are Konig Coins as generic, and Auril's Tear and Dwarf Gold as subzone currency.

And of course there's Black Ice. Nodes of it spawn in the outer world - small nodes with three chunks, or big nodes with six, and they're first-come first-serve. This is the raw kind, and will need to be refined at a 10% loss (which turns into a 10% gain if you have good enough craft tools).

Also, there's factional PVP, with the Ten-Towns and Arcane Brotherhood competing for the rare resource. Pick a faction and go - you can't form a group with the opposing faction, even in PVE, and the chunks of ice you pry out in PVP zones are 20% stronger. Various costumes and short-term buff potions unlock for purchase in town, and you'll get rewarded daily with some that you have to run around and pick up.

The Combat

There isn't much in the way of tricky combat in Icewind Dale. Everything just hits hard, comes in numbers, or both. Barbarian Shamans can make everyone invulnerable but them and summon a bear pet that dies when they do, and Beast Handlers can call reinforcements, but that's about it.

The Daily Quests

The faction you pick will have its leader give you a daily quest to collect some raw black ice and complete Heroic Encounters in any Icewind Dale zone, for reputation and Konig Coins, which is largely the only way to get either of them. For each zone, Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley, there are two generic quest-givers and one faction quest-giver, who will award some refined Black Ice and their subzone currency for completing their quest.

At a certain level of reputation, the faction quest-givers give more challenging quests that... don't have any increased rewards, actually. Invest in the inn and you'll unlock a daily quest called "The Need for Mead", a street brawl in Caer-Konig that has the chance to contain a yeti fighter, who will drop a treat that gives you a chance at getting a yeti companion. The active bonus is a chance to get a 10% damage boost when you're hit, which is pretty keen and also increases your model size if you're into those sorts of shenanigans.

If I had to pick a side, I'd say that the Arcane Brotherhood's quests are generally less hassle to complete than the Ten-Towns, on average.

The Weekly Quest(s)

Weekly your zone contact will send you to a lair called Biggrin's Tomb, for 50 Konig Coins, your other major source of them. This is worth grouping up for, just mind the faction limitations.

It's largely undocumented, but there's another weekly in Dwarven Valley - the dwarves will drop a Hammerstone Hammer, which gives you a quest to find the Hammerstone Anvil and fight the queen for a nice kicker of Black Ice components and generic refining stones. You know how there's this giant face in the mountain with Moradin's Altar on top for the Atonement Quest? Yeah, she's in there at the end of a tunnel of dwarf fighters. No branching paths or anything, just run up to her.

Other Notable Rewards

Black Ice Enchantments drop here occasionally, which I've found to be more notable on defense.

In addition, there's... kind of a zerg going on. People just mobbing around the Heroic Encounters in a rough clockwise circle in the southeast corner of Icewind Pass. Just look for the one furthest back in the circle and pop in. Generally if you participate you'll get at least 75 Black Ice and a Peridot, and crucially the Peridot isn't account-bound. If you're willing to zerg around for a while, no team required or anything, you can make a decent bit of AD selling them on the AH. Dunno how that'll hold up in the new economy, but there you are.

Also if you need Bear Rider spears for one of the Arcane Brotherhood, each barbarian fight is guaranteed to have one in it, so you can grab one for much less of a tussle.

Other Notable Challenges

Also associated with Icewind Dale is the "Kessel's Retreat" epic skirmish.

The skirmish is largely an overworld affair, big fights against undead and barbarians which spit out black ice pickups and enchantments like candy, before you go into the tower, get introduced to black ice golems, which are pretty much just reskins of the Rimefire ones, and then you fight Akar Kessel, who is... basically a Touhou. He can shoot three bullets in a spread wave or summon a crystal which bursts into eight. Also he summons black ice golems which can be lured on top of him to actually freeze him when they explode and die. This skirmish is how you get the Black Ice set, and there's a task for an extra key.

THE WELL OF DRAGONS -- THE ENDEST OF ENDGAMES

You can just walk in here at level 60. You probably shouldn't.

There are three lairs - the Thayan Shelter in the northwest, the Cult Prison in the northeast, and the Drake Pens in the southwest. Thayans migrate down to the southeast and mix with the Cult of the Dragon, there and in the center of the zone.

So many contacts from previous zones set up shop around a reclaimed horde south of center, and there's a lot of variation on who gives out quests on what day. They all award a new currency needed for campaign progression called Fallen Dragon Fangs, and adding to the hoard pile will get you Linu's Favor at 1 per 1500 points of stuff (coins are 1 point, coffers are 15, treasures are 200) which is also obtained from clearing the Temple of Tiamat mega-skrimish.

There are no unlocks here, everything's available from word one, it just depends on the day.

The Combat

There are some new drakes here. That's about it. Hunting Drakes spit out ice that adds Chill stacks and can freeze you, Ambush Drakes will vanish and pop out to whack you, and Guard Drakes are big HP sacks that tend to knock you around.

Also if you're used to the Cult being kind of a joke because you were effectively overleveled for them, prepare to experience the tyranny of large numbers.

The Daily Quests

Things work out Dread Ring-style here, in that three of the panoply of quest-givers will activate on any given day. Sometimes those quests will include a lair, sometimes they won't.

All three lairs are pretty serious business and will be challenging if your archetype has trouble soloing, especially the boss fights, which often start out with some strong additional spawns and bosses who hit like a truck. People often have them stocked from previous days, so don't hesitate to group up.

The two most annoying quests are Thwarting the Cult, which requires you to biff cultists in heroic encounters, and Fetch Quest, where a spirit wolf creates glowies for you to activate, but they often don't stick around for the length of a combat if you're a slower-paced fighter.

The Weekly Quest(s)

Elminster, because of course he had to get involved at some point, will give you a weekly to clear out some token amount of both factions and claim and return 15 hoard coffers, which drop rarely enough that this can actually take all week if you just do the other dailies and don't want to get involved with the dragonzerg, about which more later.

Other Notable Rewards

Draconic enchantments drop here, too, at Rank 5.

At 45 minutes before the hour, every hour, the five Heralds of Tiamat fly down, in kind of a loose hexagon with the Temple of Tiamat as its empty top point. For that reason people usually start off fighting the Green Herald and sweep around clockwise to Black, to cut down on total travel time. Each Herald will usually drop 2 or 3 hoard coffers, a draconic enchantment or several unbound Resonance Stones, and a consumable item that buffs you against dragons and persists through death.

Zone chat explodes at this point and people pack into instances 40 strong. This is the dragonzerg, and it's less casual than the Icewind zerg but still pretty rewarding to participate in all the same.

The boss of each lair is supposed to have a rare chance to drop a key which will unlock a new companion for you, who often yells for help during the lair boss fight. Haven't seen one myself.

Other Notable Challenges

Well, there's the Temple of Tiamat. Here's how it's supposed to go: you get brought in as 25 dudes, and form up into five teams of five based on the colors. There's a clear-out and introduction to the zone where you fight five cult priests and pick up the item they drop, which you need a free belt slot to equip and use. Each one acts a little differently, but most will protect you from the zones of dragonbreath Tiamat's heads spit out, or alleviate their aftereffects.

Then there's a sequence where you have to protect three priestesses from a big wave of devils while Tiamat breathes all over you, and when they've all had enough free time to charge, Tiamat's barrier goes down and you can get in and fight her directly.

Here's how it actually goes: nobody picks up the items, the ones who do pick them up never put them in a belt slot, everyone tries to zerg and dies repeatedly. I've just given up trying.

And that's your guide to campaigns. You're welcome.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
White Dragons Matter.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I would like it if they at least made the lowest level identification scrolls cost gold instead of AD and lower the other scrolls down one tier of cost. I mean, I'd like it if they all cost gold, but I figured I'd try to be a bit more reasonable.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

PureRok posted:

I would like it if they at least made the lowest level identification scrolls cost gold instead of AD and lower the other scrolls down one tier of cost. I mean, I'd like it if they all cost gold, but I figured I'd try to be a bit more reasonable.

If you're ever short just let me know and I'll stock the Gbank with whatever level you need. I cleared out tons of the low-level ones ages ago because most people were up at the level cap but if we need to start stocking sub-70 essentials I'm more than happy to.

Kits and potions though should for the most part NOT get dumped in gbank as you can buy them for gold and it's a hell of a lot easier to just say "Take gold to buy whatever you need" than to try to manage the slots with a billion little things cluttering them up.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Unless they tweaked with the ID scroll drop rates, usually ID'ing only the items that you could use that are potential upgrades, and/or are rares, will keep your supply good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FelixReynolds posted:

If you're ever short just let me know and I'll stock the Gbank with whatever level you need. I cleared out tons of the low-level ones ages ago because most people were up at the level cap but if we need to start stocking sub-70 essentials I'm more than happy to.

Kits and potions though should for the most part NOT get dumped in gbank as you can buy them for gold and it's a hell of a lot easier to just say "Take gold to buy whatever you need" than to try to manage the slots with a billion little things cluttering them up.

Well, the highest-tier scrolls work on all items, and I added about three more stacks of them to the gbank just now, so go hog wild.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
When are they adding a new class to this game so I have an excuse to go back to it for a few weeks?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pooncha posted:

Unless they tweaked with the ID scroll drop rates, usually ID'ing only the items that you could use that are potential upgrades, and/or are rares, will keep your supply good.

I have been doing so, but still managed to run out. AH would not complete a transaction to bid on more. If you could drop a few on it, that would be great.

Glazius posted:

Well, the highest-tier scrolls work on all items, and I added about three more stacks of them to the gbank just now, so go hog wild.

My be a bug, but I was able to ID the L70 stuff I stuck on the second tab with a low end scroll. I wonder if it is bugged in such a way that if a low level player is using it, it has no L limit? For the record it was L70 stuff that dropped in a daily cragmire. Apparently I had high level people in my group.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 19, 2015

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Strange. I've never, ever run out of id scrolls.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Strange. I've never, ever run out of id scrolls.

Part of it was having the high level stuff dropping for other classes that I won on rolls. Dumping nonIDed stuff on the
vendors gets me worthless coins while identified high level stuff has the chance at AH value. I loving hate the multi currency design of the game.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So this is on Xbone, is there any news of it coming to PS4?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I wish I lived in a city where everything was prefixed with Never-

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Danith posted:

So this is on Xbone, is there any news of it coming to PS4?

Eventually but no date as of yet.

Baron Porkface posted:

I wish I lived in a city where everything was prefixed with Never-

Get married and you can at least have a house like that!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Trier posted:

When are they adding a new class to this game so I have an excuse to go back to it for a few weeks?

New classes have been added every 2nd mod, so I'm hoping the next class (druids?) will be added with the mod 8, which should come out before the end of the year.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Dilb posted:

New classes have been added every 2nd mod, so I'm hoping the next class (druids?) will be added with the mod 8, which should come out before the end of the year.

They're doing an AmA session with R.A. Salvatore (who is partially responsible for writing the main questline of the next mod along with the obvious contribution of ohdeargodthey'refinallyputtingDRIZZTinthegame) on the 22nd of September, and ever since PAX WotC has been rolling out the material for Rage of Demons. My money is honestly on a mid-to-late October release for Mod 8.

This is a bad thing, as I doubt it's going to be anywhere near ready. Cryptic (for all their mistakes) is unfortunately stuck between a rock and a hard place - take the time to fix things already in game, miss deadlines set for them by the people holding their IP. Make those deadlines, neglect to fix things already broken and have a whole host of new things to fix.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Fog Tripper posted:

Part of it was having the high level stuff dropping for other classes that I won on rolls. Dumping nonIDed stuff on the
vendors gets me worthless coins while identified high level stuff has the chance at AH value. I loving hate the multi currency design of the game.

I never really bothered keeping or ID'ing anything I couldn't use as artifact food these days. :v:

I'm not sure how my stance would change considering the alterations to AD acquisition, though. Probably not by much, since I don't play that often anymore. NWO is not as fun without drunk Skype buddies to do daily grinds with. :(

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Made it 30 on my cleric. Was excited to enter a new dungeon that opened up at the end of a zones quests.

Yay, cragmire crypts... again. This time because a quest told me to do it.

One
loving
Dungeon

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Currently finding the gateway dice game more engaging than the online MMO. God help me but I am tempted to purchase a couple more epic companions solely for that. :ohdear:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fog Tripper posted:

Currently finding the gateway dice game more engaging than the online MMO. God help me but I am tempted to purchase a couple more epic companions solely for that. :ohdear:

A fully leveled blue companion is pretty good even in tier 6 dice game dungeons; the only thing purple and orange companions do is upgrade your base 6 dice. So if you've got alts and you want to, save up for the class packs.

So here's a question - as a greatweapon fighter, I'm pretty much a damage hose, with buffs and debuffs that affect only me and my attacks. What can I do for the team as a whole? Daring Shout and IBS will stick combat advantage on a bunch of things with marks - any feats worth taking or powers/features I overlooked? I went weaponmaster.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Hey guys, I'm coming back to this game from playing at release. I couldn't remember anything and it looked like a lot of stuff changed so I decided to start over. Looking for an invite to the guild my ign/handle is "Talia Gael@yizzykatsuya". Currently a level 17 wizard with a rogue and fighter at 11

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Glazius posted:

A fully leveled blue companion is pretty good even in tier 6 dice game dungeons; the only thing purple and orange companions do is upgrade your base 6 dice. So if you've got alts and you want to, save up for the class packs.

So here's a question - as a greatweapon fighter, I'm pretty much a damage hose, with buffs and debuffs that affect only me and my attacks. What can I do for the team as a whole? Daring Shout and IBS will stick combat advantage on a bunch of things with marks - any feats worth taking or powers/features I overlooked? I went weaponmaster.

hidden daggers, it stacks

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Goofballs posted:

hidden daggers, it stacks

I meant in the "how do I build for non-self-only buffs" sense. But thanks for that! I didn't see it as a stacking buff onscreen, but some work with the training dummies proved otherwise.

Hmm. Battle Fury says the buff is shared with teammates, but at reduced strength, and it doesn't seem that big on me, and I like Daring Shout for the survivability and determination bar as much as for the marks.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Glazius posted:

What you do for the team is kill everything as quickly as possible. :D

But seriously, along with the hidden daggers suggestion above, you help out 'the team' best by just putting out as many big numbers as possible - ideally you've got another DPS class in the group (like a CW or an HR) that provides plenty of control/debuffs and your job should be pure 110% death and destruction. The party doesn't need to be buffed if things are dying so quickly they don't have chance to hurt you. I did an eLoL run the other day with a pair of GWFs that were able to nearly melt the dragon at the end before he was able to cycle into his mid-fight takeoff, didn't even get a chance to try to laser beam us or anything. So keep on swinging!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know if they're going to nerf contribution rates or not, but right now with Black Ice Shaping packs in the lockbox rotation, cryomancers are going really cheap in the AH, and they can be refined up into grandmasters worth 12.5k labor, which is like half our current stronghold capacity for labor.

Of course, we still need influence in huge quantities, and running heroics at 400 a day (or 345 a day if you do the 3 the Ranger wants you to do) is the only way to get that right now.

I know we've got a lot of lowbies in the guild and I'm half-tempted to see if just getting set to 70 in the stronghold will let somebody survive long enough to get participation credit for an HE.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Glazius posted:

I don't know if they're going to nerf contribution rates or not, but right now with Black Ice Shaping packs in the lockbox rotation, cryomancers are going really cheap in the AH, and they can be refined up into grandmasters worth 12.5k labor, which is like half our current stronghold capacity for labor.

Of course, we still need influence in huge quantities, and running heroics at 400 a day (or 345 a day if you do the 3 the Ranger wants you to do) is the only way to get that right now.

I know we've got a lot of lowbies in the guild and I'm half-tempted to see if just getting set to 70 in the stronghold will let somebody survive long enough to get participation credit for an HE.

I've got a huge pool of labor assets that I'll donate, I just really need to take an afternoon to consolidate them all onto the toons that still need Guild Marks. Nobody else should feel like they have to worry about Labor for now unless you're inundated in Profession Assets you don't want.

Additionally, lowbies can totally run HE's with a good level 70 helping them. Especially the small HE's that most of us can solo, they just need to show up and hit something before trying not to die. Done this a couple of times with Fog Tripper and Herp, definitely helps boost influence. So if you see other guildies on when you're about to run your HE's, invite them along!

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Just started tooling around on this. I'd like an invite to the guild please.

Malidarn@jones390

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Well I don't know if anyone else has ever tried to get zen through the arc launcher (for the bonus) but do you have any idea how long it takes? It's been pending for over 2 hours.

• Locked thread