Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Another ps4 starting player here looking to get into ps4 goonguild, psn j232000

Thranguy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's per character, and people will need character name@psn account name to do invites looks like.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Theoretically, how long does it take to grind for a month of VIP?

Right now the exchange rate on PS4 is low enough that ten days worth of just dungeons and prayers would come out to a month's worth. Probably could shave a day off with the adventurers marks from the dungeons. (The AD coffers aren't nearly as good a deal as reselling azure enchantments from those.) (And that's not counting selling everything that comes out of the daily Shanzit box)

Those rates probably won't last long (I hear they go way up during double AD weekends, and may not come down all the way...)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Two questions (for context, I'm at level 65 as a SW and have zero interest in pvp if it matters):

Are the non-healing potions just vendor trash, or are any of them good enough that they should be in the potion tray? (Right now I've got potion, injury kit, and healing stone in there. I have a lucky coin, which might go in one of them eventually.)

And which dungeon is the best to run as the second leveling dungeon for AD? The first is obviously whichever the guild cleric wants to give all that exp for, but what about the second? Which is quickest/least painful to run usually?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Pooncha posted:

The buff potions you pick up are required to level alchemy, and an aspiring alchemist can go through a few or a lot of them depending on the kindness of the RNG. So save those if you're planning to level alchemy, or toss them into the guild bank if you're not.

Any dungeon is good to run twice for the AD bonuses (after two times, the AD gain slows to a trickle). For the PC version at least, the dungeon "The Pirate King" seems to have a weird bug where at least one party member would CTD upon getting near the boss, so you might want to avoid that one after the first run to get the Savras tokens. Not sure if the PS4 version carried that over.

As if we have a guild bank yet...

So what do people slot in the potion belt, generally? Like I said, right now I'm going injury kit/potion/healing stone, but the injury kit sort of seems lazy if there's anything else useful enough, and sooner or later the stone's going to run out of uses.

We don't have the Pirate King, but the Priest uses the full list unfortunately, so some days you can't get those 45k exp and dungeoneers tokens.) And I know they're not all equal. The first two have way too many traps, and the red dragon one is usually full of people trying to bypass all the mobs, failing, and taking even longer than a normal run through. I think I've settled on Grey wolf den for the free choice one for now.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Pooncha posted:

Yeah. "Common Cause" and the weekly "Defeating Dragons" will give you pages. When you're at a high enough level the daily dungeons of that quest line (e.g. "Ghost Stories") also give an additional page. Those dungeons are tailored for level 70 players though, so you may have some difficulty with them at the moment you can unlock them.

Those can be done with a group, which makes them sort of trivial.

Barrow Destruction can be soloed even at a fairly low level with enough patience and/or injury kits, since the enemies don't respawn and the final boss isn't too tough, at least not for my SW with double tanking from the puppet and my wardog.

Don't know about the equivalent from the third dragon zone, because I don't think I've done those once and gotten the harper report quest, which may be required to make them an option for Common cause.

(I'm on the fourth area now, and to keep up with sigils for it you need to do that hard daily mini-dungeon, kill the dragon, and that region's quest in addition to what you're doing for pages...)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

At what point do the dungeons change from "everyone run through as fast as you can" to actually needing to have the tank aggro mobs and have DPS try not to get aggro?

My OP is only 35 so I know I'm still in the "nobody gives a poo poo" stage for Dungeons but honestly it's pretty ridiculous sometimes because I have no movement+ skills so I'm always lagging behind while the GWF + whomever else are blasting mobs 2 minutes in front of me.

As a result I only do these early dungeons once for the quest and then never again.

I also find it weird that dungeons drop gear higher than my level. Like I did Cloak Tower at level 12 and I got a shield that requires level 45...

Is that because someone else in the group was 45+ and it lowered their level to mine or something?

At level 69, it hasn't started yet. I'm assuming epic dungeons is where it will. For that matter, it really isn't until the last fight in the last leveling dungeon that people actually really have to pay attention to not standing in the red areas.

But you should absolutely be doing them more for astral diamonds and for the big experience payout from the guild cleric.

And yes, I think that mob loot in dungeon is based on the level of the person who killed it, which really feels like it should be a bug but may not be.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So, here's the experience of epic dungeons in the public queues right now: (ps4)

Fairly quick queue turnaround, but you're inevitably thrown into an instance that's stuck on the boss and may have been stuck on the boss so long that none of the original players remain. For some extremely stupid design reason, you start at the entrance of the dungeon and have to slowly walk through the completely empty dungeon and then join the group in as many catastrophic attempts on the boss as you can stomach, generally having no idea other than order of death if the fault is you, someone else in the group, or the missing red zones. (Either literally nobody in the group has any idea what is going wrong or whoever does is too cynical to even attempt to give instruction. And it's not like they can't manage to use the chat interface, since they spend all the downtime emoting...)

Actually starting to miss FFXIV's endgame pub culture...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

I just assumed that all the different versions were on the same server.

For the PS4 version, how the hell are people chatting so much? Does everyone just have a bluetooth keyboard they use to pick up/put down then pick up the controller and start moving and then to chat drop the controller pick up the keyboard etc etc??? It seems so impractical.

I don't even know how to use the chat window with the controller alone - I'm sure I remember during the intro that there was a way to get to it using the touchpad but I've tried recently and I just can't find any way to chat, so it must be really simple/obvious. I've missed out on a couple of groups and things because I can't figure out how to respond to someone. =/

[edit] If the instances/players are separate servers, surely the chat must be combined somehow. How are spammers filling chat otherwise? Custom-modded PS4's? :confused:

L1-down arrow to get to the chat, hit the touchpad from there to scroll/select chatting people.

There's a "repeat last message" feature that they put in as a QOL-enhancer for the spammers, up-arrow when typing stuff.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

ParsleyTroll posted:

Hey PS4 guildies, sorry about being such a crummy and abscent guild "leader", my time avaliable to play has cratered and my interest has been seriously distracted.. Is there any active goon out there I can pass the torch to? I might get stuck back in eventually but I wouldn't wanna hold the leader spot hostage based on a "maybe".

I'll take it on. ( Venn Daikon@j232000 )

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

PS4 Guild stuff:
So, I think I went through and promoted up everyone who had posted in here. A lot of people requested invitations early on but didn't provide both psn name and character name, so if you're waiting on that, let me know those things (and probably put 'ps4' somewhere in the post.) Also, we now have a bank.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

So, as someone who played FFIV for a while and has been playing this for a while, I've got to ask:

Is there any actual reason why there isn't (1) Role enforcement when replacing members of a queue, (2) The option to opt-out of joining a queue in process, and (3) modest rewards for joining in-progress as in-demand roles?

I mean, just about every other negative-quality-of-life comparison between the two games more or less makes sense given the FTP/monetized inventory management idea. But keeping queuing so broken when there are proven solutions out there is just baffling...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Why are people paying so much (~30K on PS4) for random purple crafted gear? (The failures when trying to make gemmed stuff with the rare tasks) Is this strictly a reflection of the value as surplus equipment for strongholds, or is there some other use for them out there

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like we're getting one day of Runic and then Firemane after that.

Also literally laughing out loud at them pretending that previewing chests is a bug. At least we won't have to deal with that 'fix' for another month or so on consoles...

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

furthur8 posted:

PS4 Guild seems sort of dead. I don't want to splinter, I am fine with flying the Grenade flag high, but we're missing out on some boons and poo poo.

Any ideas? Anyone willing to take us into an alliance?

It's probably a lost cause, to be honest. We're too small and inactive to even be an appealing alliance member. (I'm keeping my alt in the leader chair, in case there's an improbable rush of people wanting to join up for some reason, but pretty much everyone who's at all active has left for somewhere with access to boons and Dragonflight.)

We might want to try to angle together into the same non-goon-run guild or the same alliance, if anyone has gotten to a recruiting level with one that has a decent enough culture, though.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Something Lawful is still around (and already has an unlocked bank slot as an advantage over a brand new guild); I can add anyone in/back in/in with alts who wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone else still playing this on PS4?

If so, I'm able to recruit people into The Select Few if they want, fairly cool guild in an alliance that includes The Filthy Casuals. Working on the second boon right now, and with the lead alliance guild's stronghold can do pretty much anything but mastercrafting. PM me here or in mail in game Venn Daikon@j232000 if you want in.

• Locked thread