Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should I do?
Stockmarket/investment account
Franchise
Other
Hookers and/or blow
I hate you
View Results

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

All the financial advice in this thread is spot on.

Additionally you should get an umbrella policy to cover yourself. If someone finds out how much you're worth, you're more likely to get sued.

Umbrella policies also are a must have when your net worth exceeds your insurance coverage.

They are also reasonably priced, most places doesn't cost much if you already have other insurance policies active such as car or home.

The long term investing thread has good advice as well, max out your retirement savings, have at least 6 months of expenses saved as cash and
always go with low cost index funds.

Aliquid posted:

Quickly enough, they're not certificates of deposit. Stocks are illiquid in the sense that you don't want to cash them out if the market is slumping.

Also :getin: with backpacking. I'd suggest south america, check the travel forum.

Nope liquidity refers to how easy it is to cash out a investment, stocks are really liquid investment.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I would suggest you figure out how to put it away correctly and not think about it for a long time. I don't want to suggest you're me but when I first got a professional job I didn't really know how to manage all the money I was making - it took awhile to develop the discipline to do that. I would not want to magnify those mistakes on that level of 850k.

I don't think necessarily you should have to wait until retirement to put this money until some kind of use - maybe one day you could buy into a business or franchise - but I would learn to live with what you have and put let it grow interest for a long time. In twenty years you'll be able to invest in a business and maintain solid retirement nest egg for the future - but by that point you'll also have a lot more experience and probably a much more mature sense on how to manage your money.

I think it's very easy to find things you think you need - which probably aren't wrong in one sense but might not serve you the best - I think getting a good vehicle and a backpacking vacation are a good idea - but I would draw a very sharp line under that. Maybe you need a new computer - I would personally suggest you have a reliable laptop for work purposes - but I would really do your best to think twice about what you think you need vs what you really need. When I graduated college - my college computer was four years old and overheated and generally was due for a replacement - but two years later I thought I 'needed' a MacBook when that second replacement computer was still perfectly adequate.

I think it's going to be a lot harder to make these distinctions with 850k in the pocket - it got a lot harder for me with a 55k job. I think you really want to do your best to firewall off that money and be extremely methodical about it. WI think a lot of people say things like 'save for retirement' but they don't do such a good job of painting a picture of day to day financial management and how it affects you in the long run. On the other hand - you should enjoy the money you have - I think putting it in a pile forever is dumb, but you have to be really careful on what 'enjoy' means - it could set you up for a great life one day or it could slip through your fingers in an instant.

but that's just me - it's about money discipline. Maybe you have that, maybe you don't, I think I did not have a lot of examples of that so it was hard for me but maybe it will be less so for you.

PineappleGod
Feb 12, 2008
The Pineapple God has returned
As someone who has been in much the same circumstances as you are, the advice in this thread is mostly spot on. I inherited a bit more than you did, when my mother passed away in a car accident about 15 years ago. I was 18 at the time.

The difference is that for a while maybe half of the money was tied into a running business.

Thankfully I didn't piss away the money. For a long time I had a private banking arrangement with one of the big banks here (i'm not in the U.S.). It costs about 0,4 - 1 % of your capital and normal investment expenses and they will take care of the money (with variable success). If I had known then about index funds and understood investing I would have done some things differently. The private bank I used was one of the oldest and most conservative, so they didn't really have stellar years, but they usually didn't have crashes either. I would have had more returns on my money investing it more directly, but on the other hand, being 18-25 I might have done something monumentally stupid with the money, so the banking relationship helped me come to terms with having this money and using it for my benefit.

For the most part I have made sensible arrangements. I own my apartment now that I know the city I'm 90% sure I will live in for a long time. I also own a few rented apartments, which pay their own loans, so I'm not actually using cashflow. Most of my invested money is in index funds, with a few special instrument funds, for example one that invests only in forests, which are a very safe bet in my country. In addition to direct investments in index funds, I still have a relationship with two investment firms, one which invests in index funds and passive instruments and one which does a lot of novel investments strategies.

I have some advantages since my dad is very active with investments, although he is more the guy that goes to the banks and investment firms and listens to the stories, while I have become increasingly critical towards most of that. He is quite conservative as an investor, which is fine, since he is 69 now.

The advice in this thread is spot on the following: don't let the money change who you are and what you want to do with your life. The money if managed sensibly will help you along the way and keep you debt free, which means that your actual income will go much farther than for many of your co-workers and friends.

If you have any questions, send me a pm.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lprsti99 posted:

EE was my original major. There's a big difference between one basic calculus class and four ever-more-advanced calculus classes. I honestly did try, but Calc and my brain weren't playing together so nice :saddowns:

E: That said, I might go back and buckle down on the full EE degree once I'm better set up.

This is a tough decision. Using some of this money for the EE degree could be great, but only if you will succeed with it. EE coursework is truly challenging, it's not just your imagination - so, how much do you want it, and how well can you handle the stuff that stopped you last time? Have things really changed? It may be that EE is just not for you, and that's fine if so. Do it if it truly calls to you, but don't get sucked in by "I should..." kinds of feelings.

Although, an extra $850k does give you the ability to make totally the wrong decision on that degree and still not be financially hosed for the rest of your life :) I just hate to see you waste it on schooling that you won't actually leverage into a good life trajectory. Anyhow you have time to think about it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nothing wrong with being a tech. You don't really have to go all out to be an engineer just because of this money. You actually have a chance to 'follow your dreams' a little bit, don't just go do an engineering degree if you don't think you can hack it. You're work life may very well suck.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Nah, going back for full EE has always been at the back of my mind, as an option if I felt I'd benefit from it and could do better in the calc classes. Nothing specifically to do with the inheritance, other than that it would make doing so less of a risk.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'll tutor you in high level calculus, duder. It would be fun to relearn diff eqs. I charge as a percentage of assets though ;)

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
You just got a ton of eggs without having many recipes to cook with. Don't put them all in one basket.

You want to plan out everything you do from this point forward with an anticipated return, an anticipated risk, and in light of the proportion of assets.

The most mundane option is putting it all in a savings account. Here's the shape of the analysis: if you put it all in one account, you will receive $8500 / year in interest. You run the risk that you will lose $600,000 if that bank becomes insolvent as FDIC only covers $250,000. Holding it in USD exposes you to the risk of that currency tanking, and the certainty of it being devalued by inflation. Holding it all in one savings account has more risk than putting 200,000 in four different accounts at 4 different institutions.

Most of the other advice here is great too. Good luck!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You just got a ton of eggs without having many recipes to cook with. Don't put them all in one basket.

You want to plan out everything you do from this point forward with an anticipated return, an anticipated risk, and in light of the proportion of assets.

The most mundane option is putting it all in a savings account. Here's the shape of the analysis: if you put it all in one account, you will receive $8500 / year in interest. You run the risk that you will lose $600,000 if that bank becomes insolvent as FDIC only covers $250,000. Holding it in USD exposes you to the risk of that currency tanking, and the certainty of it being devalued by inflation. Holding it all in one savings account has more risk than putting 200,000 in four different accounts at 4 different institutions.

Most of the other advice here is great too. Good luck!

This is bad advice since in the current low interest environment this plan costs money each year due to inflation.

Best option is to put most of it in boring stock/bonds ideally passive index investments and save a small portion in a savings account for short term expenses.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

etalian posted:

This is bad advice since in the current low interest environment this plan costs money each year due to inflation.

Best option is to put most of it in boring stock/bonds ideally passive index investments and save a small portion in a savings account for short term expenses.

r,c;p.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For new investors who don't like seeing big losses there are plenty of more moderate risk funds out there like Vanguard's Wellington or Lifestrategy moderate.

If you haven't played with stocks before and developed discipline in down markets it makes more sense to go with a lower risk fund.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why is everybody acting like $850,000 should be treated differently than $85,000 or $8,500? What is this franchise/business investment horseshit? God drat!

Put that poo poo in Vanguard's Target Retirement Fund and get back to work. Quit when you're ready.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why is everybody acting like $850,000 should be treated differently than $85,000 or $8,500? What is this franchise/business investment horseshit? God drat!

Put that poo poo in Vanguard's Target Retirement Fund and get back to work. Quit when you're ready.

The advantage of a franchise is that you can work really long hours to earn less than minimum wage and pay lots to do it. I thought that walking into a local franchise and seeing how poo poo everything is would put people off. I have the advantage of seeing franchises that fail and are replaced by another business.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

etalian posted:

What inflation? We're close to zero percent and even went negative earlier this year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shipon posted:

What inflation? We're close to zero percent and even went negative earlier this year.

If you are young and want to build long term wealth, putting 850k in savings account is not a good strategy.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Stuff it in a mattress, douse it in gasoline and set it on fire.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

etalian posted:

If you are young and want to build long term wealth, putting 850k in savings account is not a good strategy.

Dwight Eisenhower was using it as an easy-to-understand example of risk vs. reward, not as a plan foward.

edit - probably a quote said before Operation Market Garden

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just so you know, differential equations is literally the hardest it gets on the EE path, and the rest is just variations on basic calculus and algebra. All the important stuff has been reduced to charts and tables; if you can struggle through Calc II and III, you'll be able to make it as an electrical engineer.

More on topic, invest the money according to your level of risk aversion. If it were me, I'd just park it in a moderate risk Vanguard fund.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Dwight Eisenhower was using it as an easy-to-understand example of risk vs. reward, not as a plan foward.

edit - probably a quote said before Operation Market Garden

This right here is a subtly great post.

Also yes the savings account was just an example of the most boring, straightforward, easily modeled risk / reward / proportion analysis. It is a bad plan. Just the mechanics of FDIC insurance mean that there's a clearly dominant plan (4 savings accounts instead of 1). It's an analysis that also underscores the value of diversification; you shouldn't throw all your money into ANY of the plans you contemplate, be it a high yield dividend index fund, a savings account, a certified deposit, a bond portfolio, a basket of stocks, an exotic options trading strategy, a real estate investment, a fast food franchise, or uncle timmy's burgeoning beanie baby business.

Ideally you dip a toe into all of the ones which have a realistic probability of not losing all your money eventually. But putting it all in a savings account and depositing from there into the other things you choose to invest in is not a bad place to start.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Invest in the pot business. Leasing extraction equipment to growers is a goldmine. I would use 25% doing this, Vanguard 50% and do whatever you want with the other 25%. (Bonds and savings) So 25% high risk, 50% boring, 25% more boring.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

How does this change if you are 45 instead of 25? Already got the kids, spouse, house, career. Is it just a matter of finding an advisor and telling them youre ready to retire?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

How does this change if you are 45 instead of 25? Already got the kids, spouse, house, career. Is it just a matter of finding an advisor and telling them youre ready to retire?

If you are 45 you should have already given enough serious thought to your retirement to have a good idea of how much money you will need in order to retire. So the 850k at that point would simply get you closer to your goal (or you might adjust your goal to include more spending in retirement or now for travel and other luxuries).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Two words: "Goon projects."

(All the advice worth reading was provided to you on Page 1. It's all Goon Islands and franchises from here down.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pretty much everyone has told him not to do a franchise, the people who have talked about investing in a business positively have still told him not to do it until years later at least. I don't know what thread you've been reading but it ain't this one.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Waador posted:

> Step 2 - Finish school and get a job as if you were a normal person. Here's where things get interesting. Most people in their mid-twenties, after finishing school, have to loving kill themselves to succeed in the workplace. You've got options, and they're pretty good. $20K or $30K annually in dividend income isn't enough to not have to work, but it is enough to not have to work all year. When you're assessing your employment options and job offers, consider finding a firm that is explicitly okay with you taking unpaid leave, and then take advantage of it as you deem necessary. How that works is up to you. Maybe you work an 80% work week, and get Friday off every week. Maybe you work a 100% work week, but take two months off every year (one month vacation, one month unpaid leave). Or three months off every year. You can be a rock-star professional in your company by giving it your all when you're working, and achieve something resembling 'work-life balance' that other people only dream about (because it's largely a myth unless you're already wealthy).

According to Google, the average entry-level salary of a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering is somewhere between $50,000 and $85,000, obviously dependent upon geographical location across North America. If you can manage to have a rewarding career nine months of the year, and use your dividend income to help you recharge for that remaining three months, you're going to end up a lot healthier and happier than your peers ten years down the road. Meanwhile, the non-dividend-income component of your investments is slowly accruing in your portfolio, and ten or twenty years down the line it's a reasonable nest egg to add on top of the savings you generate in your career.

Now, that said, maybe it isn't in your best interests to start your career with three months of vacation and unpaid leave annually. Learning how the workplace actually, you know, works is something that might take your full attention for the first year or three. Or maybe you'd just want to make a good impression. However, there are few things more rewarding than completing a major project that involves all the office bullshit of long hours, stressful days, and appropriate bonuses, and then treating yourself to a month off to recharge. In the short-term it might put you behind your peers in terms of pure months of work experience, but in the long run the guy who can maintain his composure, is always charged and ready to do his best at the job, and who approaches his work professionally and methodically is going to be more successful. The potential compensation of a successful career in engineering is significant, and there's a strong argument to apply your inheritance in a manner that lets you approach your job to the best of your ability for the rest of your life, because if you do that inheritance is going to be a small component of your overall savings twenty years from now.

This is probably the best advice I've seen in the thread so far. Not needing to worry about money, and having an appropriate amount of vacation, will make you a superstar at your job regardless of how much smarter your co-workers are.

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

Shipon posted:

The inflation where the Federal Reserve increases its balance sheet by $85Bn per month. You know, making money exist where none previously did. The lovely part is that it's been walled off from the rest of the economy for a while and when it does finally enter circulation it's likely to be in a giant tidal wave. But look on the bright side. When it does, interest rates will finally go up and saving money will actually be a good idea again.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
OP, if I can struggle through Calc, I'm pretty sure you can too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nurse1151 posted:

Take about half of it.. buy MONTHLY dividend paying stocks, put a stop loss on the shares. Take another quarter and put it into QUARTERLY dividend paying stocks, take the rest and keep it for an emergency fund.
I have some bad news dude - dividend payment is priced into the stock. Stocks that don't pay dividends also don't go down by the dividend amount.

Eskaton posted:

OP, if I can struggle through Calc, I'm pretty sure you can too.
I'm pretty sure he'd have to actually, you know, understand and use it on a day-to-day basis. Maybe I'm way off base here since I'm not an EE by trade, but I definitely wouldn't want to work as a professional in a field while being uncomfortable with the math behind it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 10, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Invest in a bitcoin mining rig.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wizzle posted:

The inflation where the Federal Reserve increases its balance sheet by $85Bn per month. You know, making money exist where none previously did. The lovely part is that it's been walled off from the rest of the economy for a while and when it does finally enter circulation it's likely to be in a giant tidal wave. But look on the bright side. When it does, interest rates will finally go up and saving money will actually be a good idea again.

From what I've read of the actual mechanism by which the banks access the QE funds and how the Fed plans to call those loans I don't think that's the way it will work out. Time will tell though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure he'd have to actually, you know, understand and use it on a day-to-day basis. Maybe I'm way off base here since I'm not an EE by trade, but I definitely wouldn't want to work as a professional in a field while being uncomfortable with the math behind it.

While calculus is a real needed thing in EE it's not like you're solving multi-variable partial differential equations all day. If serious math has to be done it's going to be the high-paid guys with Phd's who are going to be doing it. Everything else can be solved pretty much with matlab or SPICE or some other tool and you really just have to know enough to get the answer you need, understand the tool output and recognize when you screwed it up or understand what someone is telling you to do.

There is lots of time to learn through repetition and simple building tasks once you are in the industry, if you can pass the classes with an decent GPA you'll do fine.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 11, 2015

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Or move to somewhere with a very low cost of living and enjoy being king midas

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Or move to somewhere with a very low cost of living and enjoy being king midas

I hear Cambodia is nice this time of year.

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

Murgos posted:

From what I've read of the actual mechanism by which the banks access the QE funds and how the Fed plans to call those loans I don't think that's the way it will work out. Time will tell though.

They're buying US treasuries with them and padding their coffers. Then they're taking that money, and rather than lend it out like they're supposed to do, they've been making stock market investments. Since it's all AAA-rated they can leverage those 3:1 at a minimum and pre-2007 some banks had special dispensation to leverage 20:1. (Not sure if those exceptions still exist) So there's your inflation. Securities and equities paid for by "fake" money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

r0ck0 posted:

I hear Cambodia is nice this time of year.

I've seen recommendations on Vietnam and Thailand in the past year as well. The return on $850k would allow a magnificent lifestyle, or endless drinking at the pub.

• Locked thread