Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should I do?
Stockmarket/investment account
Franchise
Other
Hookers and/or blow
I hate you
View Results

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The main thing you have now is security. Do what everybody is saying with the index funds, but you're young and might want to consider a gap year. 20 grand would be way more than enough for a year of backpacking and you're sure as gently caress not going to do it when you're older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Quickly enough, they're not certificates of deposit. Stocks are illiquid in the sense that you don't want to cash them out if the market is slumping.

Also :getin: with backpacking. I'd suggest south america, check the travel forum.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 6, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

etalian posted:

If you are young and want to build long term wealth, putting 850k in savings account is not a good strategy.

Dwight Eisenhower was using it as an easy-to-understand example of risk vs. reward, not as a plan foward.

edit - probably a quote said before Operation Market Garden

• Locked thread