Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

It looks like these are the trend now. In case anyone wants yet another anime girl collecting rhythm thing, Girlfriend Kari has one coming out soon. They're giving a free SR out for people that preregister.
All I know about the original is that they got Tange Sakura to do a ridiculous fake accent. Maybe it'll turn out okay. I didn't even know they had songs for it so who knows?

Preregistration page. Only takes gmail. Remember to check the box above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

graybook posted:

Nickname field, family name field, given name field, I get that much, but I have no clue what the hell the bottom text says here and kanji-searching is tricky. I guess I'll blunder through it somehow!

I went through that during the couple of hours it was up the other week but if I recall correctly, that's just saying that the real name stuff is there so your waifus will call you by that. Only the nickname is public.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Polsy posted:

Can't believe nobody told me L・O・B・M stands for Love Organised Boost Music, this changes everything nothing.

Actually, it stands for Low Orbiting Battle Missile.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

There's a new Aria game on Android this week. So far it's very pleasant. The music is mostly BGM from the series with an emphasis on holds and slides. The card management bits are streamlined and take less input than other games like this. I noticed a dressup option like GF♪ but haven't come across any new clothes to try it yet.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

graybook posted:

I was gonna get a PS4 in the future anyways, but since I'm in Freedomland, will the PS4 I get be able to play the new iM@S game if there's no English release?

Yeah, probably. PS4's supposed to be region free.

Going by the way the PS3 games worked, the backwards X and O buttons could be a nuisance. The save interface and some arbitrary in game menus had the buttons reversed. Worst case scenario, they do it like G4U where either X or O will both confirm and cancel at the same time. I'm annoyed enough with the layout that I'll probably go with a Japanese console this round.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

In case it matters to any of you, they also announced a Chinese translation for Star Platinum at Taipei Game Show like the week it was revealed.

Polsy posted:

also watching people hit the 10 button repeatedly without getting SSRs is a good demotivator. I may not be getting any SSRs, but at least I'm not spending money to not get them.

I paid the difference to try for SSR Shiki before the last gacha ended. Got nine rares and an SR that were all duplicates, the summary screen bugged so I couldn't take a demotivating screenshot, and when I fed them all to regular old SR Shiki for a skill improvement, it failed. Don't be me.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Going by the setlist, I'd guess that's Kawashima Mizuki.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Does every Cindy Gals song have a guitar solo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTUj1r3g5J0

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Please recommend an iM@S song that is like Aoi Tori or Nation Blue. A song with a blue feel.

Try going through the ones Shiina Gou composed. Gekkasai, Nemurihime, Saihyou, and Koikaze especially. Actually, anything strongly associated with Chihaya should fit.

Nation Blue kind of reminds me of Mythmaker and Next Life.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Polsy posted:

Even without the background I can barely parse that as being Aoi Tori without Chihaya singing it. It's like Chihaya singing some of the upbeat songs, it's really off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE7Ojk4cYlY

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

It's crazy how much of herself the singer throws into Chihaya.

On top of that, she's a very passionate live performer in general. Check out her birthday solo concerts if you can.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

honestly i kind of wish i could trade in a bit of raw skill in exchange for being more stable at hitting notes I know how to hit because god knows how many times I've flubbed an FC because I have a mental gap and miss a note right after nailing a trouble spot.

A third of my attempts at the event song so far, I've managed to get a nice before the gimmick slides even start. Several of those, I went on to an otherwise FC run. What the gently caress? My misses aren't even on the hard parts.

I haven't managed a FC of it yet, by the way.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Go to the unit page, pick お気に入り in the corner, and use the 特訓後/特訓前 buttons to toggle evolution.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

Kyou wa ii tenki desu ne?

I am a pen.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Non-iM@S Imai Asami? How about some Hara Yumi (Takane) with that?

They have the same producer for their solo material so there's a lot of crossover.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Do the idols even go to school.

Most of them do with some sort of special arrangements to account for their schedules. Trying not to spoil anything specific but one of the game story arcs revolves around one who's seriously considering dropping out to focus on work.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

But honestly, I've never really 'gotten' iM@S the way I've gotten LL. Most of the episodes are somewhat forgettable and I don't really recall being moved or feeling much emotion during stuff such as Ritsuko's comeback episode.

Puchimas's idols have more presence and character development than AniM@S's idols most of the time.

My take on the 2011 series is that the people who made it love the source material and wanted to squeeze in a little of everything, which resulted in it being a bit unfocused.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

You get a few offices in iM@S2. OFA only has one, though. Mainly because that's the one non-stage location they went to the trouble of 3D modelling.

This is the last one you unlock in 2.

Christmas Cake fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 6, 2016

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

I hadn't thought about the music in those terms before but that got me thinking about the shift in emphasis in iM@S from 1/SP to 2 to OFA. The themes and needs of the games drive the music quite a bit. If you're not so into character songs, I think the main series is moving in a direction you'd appreciate.

With the original arcade game and the Xbox and PSP ports, the game put the emphasis squarely on one idol, even when units were available. It made sense at this point to lean heavily towards character songs or ones associated with two or three characters. One quirk of this period was that at times they would intentionally direct the cast to perform worse on certain songs because of in-character weaknesses like in Mechagohan.

iM@S2 attempted to move away from this by making "unity" one of the story's main themes despite the gameplay revolving around producing one idol plus interchangeable backup. Out of the box it had more group songs than any of the previous games. The image songs were shuffled around and often less closely tied to a single character. For better or worse, there were a lot less comedy song/singer combinations. They aimed for reasonably good performances across the board. I remember people around launch remarking that Imai Asami was just singing as herself because Chihaya didn't give her classic stiff performance on the upbeat numbers.

OFA overhauled the approach to units. You still had a leader but could change who it was at any time. The game encouraged you to shuffle idols around and develop everyone's skills. The centerpiece event was an all star live where you had to use all 13 idols. Right out of the tutorial, you're given one image song of your choice and four ensemble songs and I feel that they maintained the balance well throughout.
Here's a collection of all star encores with a couple of extras from the rhythm game spinoffs.

Probably doesn't matter too much but I glossed over spinoffs, CD series, etc. Anyway, the anime series drew from everything that came before it (2 and earlier) and as you noticed, they used character songs to make the most of the limited attention certain idols got.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Caravans get one SR that drops all the time and I think you're meant to be able to get 15 star ranks if you're playing at the same rate as you would competitively in the other events. The other one is significantly less common and gets a special drop animation. The event R is there so you can build a rank 10 leader to farm the others.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Skwee posted:

literally santa but a teenaged girl? I think I saw that when i did the idol sorting thing, but i thought it was just her idolized costume.

I think he means Eve Santaclaus. She's a homeless girl from Greenland that lives in an alley with her pet reindeer and doesn't own clothes because someone stole her only set. Not making this up.

Polsy posted:

I've been meaning to ask but can they not be the same account? Or does the account moving system disable the version you moved it from? It feels weird when I'm playing whatever other Mobage/GREE games on both devices without having to think about it.

You can have one account across multiple devices. As I recall, you have to link it through your Namco account.

People looking for easy master songs to FC, try Susume Otome cool version when that rotates in. Easiest one but it's only one day a week.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Moldy Taxes posted:

You see, the entirety of the anime is Honoka's coma dream because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GhoWZ5qTwI

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Famison 8bit was pretty different from most iM@S in general.

Have an hour of OG iM@S music meticulously synched and rearranged and then promptly banned from nico.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

What I want are Chihaya songs. And Chihaya albums.

Master Artist is the main solo album series. Each character has three at this point and those should probably be your priority. Master Special is similar but they're paired off. Chihaya and Hibiki in this case.
Chihaya also has an old birthday CD called Gratitude that's about half cover songs if you can find that.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

I've never used the tap sounds. My indicator is the thud when I throw my whole arms into smacking the screen to make absolutely sure it registers. I'd recommend it.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Not entirely sure but my guess going by token events is that it's just score rating and stamina cost.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Finished with 12 butts, two donuts, and all of the jewels and cocaine.

The beta event is awfully humbling when you get a song you're not the best at.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Invincibility really shines when you need more than one idol to keep you from dying.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Zenostein posted:

See, the first one at least had a kanji for me to toss into google. I got no idea what any of those stand for. Maybe the first one is "characters"?

中学生
小学生
幼稚園生

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

I'm running mainly event SRs and that seems to be enough to S rank most master songs if they don't gently caress me up too hard. It gets easier the more of those you collect.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Idol series are kind of great for having an endless supply of easy material to practice Japanese on.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Learn kana, start grinding kanji, skim some kind of grammar thing you don't get, read a bunch of poo poo in Japanese on the internet, skim the grammar thing again and go "OH THAT'S THE THING I KEEP SEEING" and repeat those last few steps until you can more or less understand what you want and stall out forever.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Polsy posted:

Welcome to the stage I like to call 'Pro is too easy but Master is too hard'. Symptoms include occasionally losing a song entirely because you were doing something gimmicky to spice it up or weren't really paying attention.

I bring a healer so I can pay even less attention. It's mostly my medley strategy but this is the hardest event song in a while.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Xenoglossia is okay if you hate Chihaya and the real iM@S cast.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Most of the real ones were pretty small time back then and they were replaced with much bigger names. I think Sunrise were just going to make a new Mai Hime and then got the license at the last minute so they decided to shoehorn it in.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Polsy posted:

If only everything could be as comprehensive as Shiny Festa

The biggest upgrade to Shiny TV was that it sometimes required you to use those.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/you2sei/status/713018244005634048

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

I had this weird stretch a few events back where I managed to finish all of my leftover pro songs and got a new master FC every day for a week. Since then I've started to suck at combos again. No idea what that was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

I only sign in sometimes for login bonuses. Today I got enough for an 11 pull and considered rolling for Umi UR to be an rear end in a top hat but that might be too much.