Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Starlight Stage has released, I recently started playing Project Diva, and I still have both EN and JP School Idol Festival accounts. I'd say I'm descending into idol rhythm game hell, but I've been playing SIF for over a year. I'm already there. I've made hell comfy, and host parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I already have tickets to see LLTSIM next weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, each in a different city (neither of which is mine). There are no showings in my town, so I bought a ticket for Sunday. Then an Internet friend expressed interest in seeing it with me on Saturday. I've yet to decide if I want to drive an hour or two to see a teenage pop star cartoon twice in one weekend. I suppose I'll have a better idea after the first showing.

I think I heard something about goodies? So that might influence my decision, too, I can be a sucker for anime merch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Megalixir posted:

I played LLSIF for a month or so with a custom-made arcade style controller.

If anyone is interested I'm actually selling both as I can't stand mobage pay models and forced timers (I have played and extensively enjoyed the iM@S series on console but it's a different thing entirely).

whoa. You are the big anime fan.

I might be interested if it's a thing that can work with android.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Incoming 9-hour maintenance in SIF.

e: When it comes down to it, I don't need more things. I wish you luck, friend.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 8, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Bonus card requirements:

(missing one is complete story 5)

Polsy posted:

Top middle is actually for taking an item out of that box.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 11, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

CGSS is a whole lot easier than LLSIF. Easier to manage only 5 characters over 9.

Change is hard. It's different, and that makes it trickier. That plus the slides. I'm not as good at it as I am at SIF, but I've gotten better quicker (though I put most of the credit for that at the feet of SIF experience).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Non-SIF rhythm games make me feel incompetent.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
They've discovered my secret! I'll play any anime rhythm game, and they know it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sonata Mused posted:

Has anyone figured out a comfortable way to play these games? I've been using my thumbs while holding the phone, but it gets kind of awkward when moving around a lot.

I hold the phone against either a table or my thigh with my thumbs along the bottom and my pinkies along the sides, and tap with my index fingers.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

graybook posted:

Trainer item, I believe. Used for leveling up idols somehow. I haven't used any yet myself.

Trainers are the primary way to level your idols. Waaay more experience than eating other, lesser idols.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Polsy posted:

Top middle is actually for taking an item out of that box. Also here's a clean bottom-left panel if you want to edit it in.

My id's 476011024

Eh, I stole those from elsewhere, so I'll edit in your correction and call it good enough.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

I was going to work on my Let's Play last night, I really was.

And then I rolled Kaede. RIP.

The Miura of LPs.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Love Live! The School Idol Movie is good and fun.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Holy crap

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm going to have to play on mute before and after pure songs, though. I can't stand Hanayo's voice, but she's unquestionably going to be my center. I already had full SR or better pure and cool squads. I haven't checked to see if these are stronger (they probably are), but even then it might not be worth it to train them up. I'm thinking about selling the Rins for a seal.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Jesus... what an awesome pull!

Are there any good ways of getting love gems besides buying them or hoping maintenance goes awry?

Idolize each card once and max their bonds.
Get As & Ss on Hard & Expert daily songs for both score and combo.
Clear Expert songs.
Full combo Expert songs.
Participate at least a bit in events (the last love gem reward for events is usually something like 1/3 of the way to the SR reward, plus you get rank gems at the end).
Complete Main Story chapters.
Birthdays.
Promotions/X,000,000 player celebrations where they give a handful away for a few days.
Maintenance compensation.

These are the ways to get love gems.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Awesome, thank you!

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks, what are daily songs?

When you go to play a song, click the "B-Sides" button in the upper right, and the songs here will be one of: event songs; daily songs; expert songs on longer rotation. The daily ones' titles start with [Daily Special] (there seem to only be dailies right now). They are significantly harder than normal songs of their difficulty level!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. I tried one on Hard... my god.

Soldier Game is infamous.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

That's the one I tried. At this point I have no idea how that's even possible.

Nawatobi is the easiest of the dailies. The others range from hard to what the gently caress.

My advice for trying to get better would be to play songs that you can beat most of the time (but not always) until you can regularly beat them. If you're a thumbs player, I'd advise retraining yourself to use your fingers. I know that there are some who do even the hardest songs with their thumbs, but I hit a wall at the easier of the expert songs where my larger digits simply couldn't move quickly enough.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

graybook posted:

Soldier Game hard is pretty tricky.
Soldier Game EX is beyond that.

I regard Otomeshiki Renai Juku EX harder than Soldier Game EX, personally. The pattern is weirder.

The new batch of dailies feel easier though (Nawatobi is a joke, I'm sorry Hanayo). I can at least FC Anemone Heart EX. But the original dailies' EX versions are still beyond me.

Nawatobi is the only daily EX that I've FC'd, though I've only tried the others a few times. I only FC'd Soldier Game hard after 60+ plays and a perfect lock team, and I just haven't had the will to apply that to the EX dailies.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

I started out with fingers but moved to thumbs because it was more comfortable to hold the phone.

How many fingers do you use? I figured the button placement was to encourage you to use four fingers on either side.

Just index. I've experimented with using middle as well, but I found myself getting tangled.

Ah, I knew I'd posted the way I hold/tap before:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I hold the phone against either a table or my thigh with my thumbs along the bottom and my pinkies along the sides, and tap with my index fingers.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm not sure how long this game has been out, but do you know if the Halloween costume SRs were from an event? If so, do they re-run holiday events like that?

I don't think the English version has had Halloween SRs yet; it's had "spooky" costumes, but those were summer things. We should get Halloween ones this year, though, with Rin's given in an event:

They don't rerun events, but sometimes specific time frames of cards are available in special scouting boxes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Ahh, the limited scouting is for the second years only.

Eh. I hope they do one for the third years.

Yeah, it cycles around. Sometimes by year, sometimes my color, sometimes by subgroup, sometimes by when the cards were released. Maybe others.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Necronomoticon posted:

i am going use this game and whisky to self-medicate years of untreated depression. will i have to worry about losing progress when i upgrade to an iphone 6s?

Make certain to generate and save your transfer code. Other -> Settings -> Issue Passcode, then, once you have your new device, Enter. If you're switching from Android to Apple (or vice-versa, for that matter) you can't have any love gems on your account, so scout them away first (any <5 extra can be used to increase the number of idols you can have). I think you can have them sitting in your inbox, though?

You can issue the code now and it's good for your account for a year, so really, :siren: if the thought of losing your account fills you with dread, make certain to get your transfer code and write it down. :siren:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
SIF EN (generally a Cool or Pure UR center except during SM events) : 135584207
SIF JP (generally a Cool UR): 148922560
SS (Cute or Passion S): 118424954

If you want to be friends, let me know so that I can make room for you.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

All of my cards are still pretty low level, would that be a problem?

Not at all!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

Did my first 10 pull in CGSS.

1 SSR, 1 SR.

Kikari is my SSR, Kaede is my SR.

I'd care more about not pulling an SSR in two 10-pulls if I knew who the characters were. Well, I know Anzu, but I don't know if that makes me want her or to avoid her.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

jellycat posted:

Does anyone know what you're supposed to do with doubles of an SR? It seems like a waste to throw her into a star lesson, but I'm not sure what else to do.

EDIT: just to clarify, this is Starlight Stage, not Love Live

I Star Lessoned my double, because I think there's literally no other use for her.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

UchihaHirou posted:

I don't usually read ANN articles, but this article caught my eye.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2015-09-20/.93182
Fess up, which goon is the author?

Excerpts containing facts:

No, it's cool, I already beat this guy up.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, the animal SRs, while cute, are the weakest SRs. Go for it only if you already have some of the featured cards and are looking to idolize.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

squidflakes posted:

God dammit. I wish I'd known. I've been saving up my gems and was really hoping to get the Nozomi UR.

I got this instead.

Since this is my only SR and my strongest card she's on every loving team. The effect goes off all the god drat time, which is cool, but I have to deal with THAT sliding across my screen at regular intervals.

You can turn that off, you know. It's generally recommended. Settings -> Love Show -> Pop-ups off

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Commander Quack posted:

How many loveca does it take to at least T2 anyways? Particularly JP version.

It varies depending on the SR, but I think I recall someone calculating that it takes a net of somewhere between 3 and 9ish, generally. That is, something more than that, but you get some back as rewards. It's the time rather than the loveca that keeps me from doing it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I want more cards featuring outfits from the movie.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
My pessimistic thought is that they're planning to kill SIF, both EN and JP, as they switch over to Aquors, and they want to get as many EN events in (since folks buy love gems for them) before then. I hope I'm wrong.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

What's the deal with that, the current girls go live on a farm and there's a whole new cast in the Love Live franchise going forward?

Kind of. They gave μ's a nice send-off in the movie, and the new girls are saving a different school or town or whatever, but the idea is the same: move to the new thing before folks are tired of the old. They haven't announced anything about killing off SIF, but I expect them to do it fairly suddenly whenever it happens, and for them to have a Aquors game up right around then. I've no doubt they hope to migrate as much of the fanbase over as possible.

I'm going to miss the OG Love Lives.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

none of the new girls are gonna be as good as Rin :mad:

low bar

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I kid, she's a pretty good Love Live and currently features on my lock screen.

e: if anyone's interested, here's lock screens in this style for all the Love Lives. I'm afraid I don't remember where I originally got them from; some artist's tumblr that I'm sure a simple reverse GIS could find.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 28, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've finally gotten to the point where I can FC the easier songs on Master in SS. The game's timing and mapping are starting to click for me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Trihugger posted:

I actually think it's neat to watch the progression of Aquors as it's happening instead of reading about it years later. Muse was built in part by audience participation. I'm sure their second single will have a vote for center just like Snow Halation. There will probably be subgroups formed from voting later on. And I'm curious to see if they can make lightning strike twice or if this new group will fall flat.

Yeah, I'm excited. They've got some big boots to fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

pandaK posted:

i heard this starlight stage game is the next big innovation in rhythm mobage what's the hella dealio on this anime idol game

It's fun. Overall I like SIF more, but it has some nice features. If you can fumble your way through the Japanese menu navigation, give it a shot. The OP has a good deal of info on how to actually do it.

Things SS does better than SIF:
  • Vertical distance between notes is actually representative of time between notes (I think)
  • Dancing during songs, if one can put up with the distraction and battery-slaying
  • Even low-tier cards are actual characters, not just art made up for the game (except they aren't all voiced, so I guess not all idols are made equal)
  • It tells you what level one can expect a card to get to from eating idols
  • It doesn't require two copies of a card to idolize it
  • The break room is cute and makes me feel like I'm playing Animal Crossing
Things SIF does better than SS:
  • Love Live is better than Idolmaster and has better characters
  • I prefer 9 buttons and no slide notes to 5 buttons and slide notes
  • Much less in the way of load times
  • In English