Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Khari Evans is probably one of the biggest offenders to me when it comes to Valiant's art. But I really dig most of their rotating crew like Pere Perez, Clayton Henry, Doug Braithwaite, Cary Nord, and Rafa Sandoval. The standouts to me being Pere Perez (maybe one of my favorites working right now because he does expressions so well), Clayton Crain, Clay Mann, and Raul Allen.

Also Valiant is teasing Archer and Armstrong on Twitter. Guessing the creative team announcement will be during their panel on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally read the Valiant as it was on sale on Comixology, and of course it is really good. I know X-O had pushed how good it was at the time and now I feel so stupid not having read it before.

But it's a testament to how good Bloodshot Reborn and The Book of Death have been that it didn't really matter that I hadn't read it.

zoux posted:

io9 has an interview with Lemire about his upcoming Bloodshot run. I don't know if the premise has been revealed before, but it's the first I've heard of it and it sound badass.

Oh. My. God. :stare:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think The Valiant is possibly the most perfect comic crossover I've ever read. As far as Valiant goes I'd say I like Armor Hunters more just because I love cosmic stuff in comics and Valiant's cosmic stuff hits all the right points for me (the X-O tie-in issues that give you the storyline about the origin of the Armor Hunters at the same time as the main story is especially genius because just as you're hating what they're doing in one story you're seeing how it was it came to this in the other), but The Valiant is a four issue crossover with zero tie-ins and it is basically perfection as far as the idea of a crossover goes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i09 continuing to do the lord's work in Valiant evangelism.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Uh, is it just me, or is one of the early panels in today's Bloodshot Reborn a tracing of the most common GIS result for "sassy black woman"?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

graybook posted:

Uh, is it just me, or is one of the early panels in today's Bloodshot Reborn a tracing of the most common GIS result for "sassy black woman"?

There is some heavy inspiration for sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Holy poo poo Toyo Harada.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Valiant getting positive press like that article but I almost stopped reading when right off the top it said Valiant averaged 20 ongoings a month. I mean do a little bit of research guy.

Also this:

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo Toyo Harada.

Imperium rules. So does Bloodshot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rafer Roberts, a relative newcomer to writing comics, will be writing Archer & Armstrong (Now just titled A&A) and the artist will be David Lafuente on the first arc who has now signed a Valiant exclusive. I love Lafuente's art and his style fits the tone of Archer & Armstrong perfectly. The first arc will see them venture inside Armstrong's bottomless satchel in search of something.

http://www.newsarama.com/26224-lafuente-signs-exclusive-with-valiant-for-new-a-a-ongoing.html

I know Valiant like to rotate artists around on some titles, which I love because seeing different styles on different books is fun, but I kind of hope Lafuente stays on this because his art is perfect for the tone of the book.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 9, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what's Van Lente gonna be doing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

So what's Van Lente gonna be doing?

Dunno. Dinesh has said he's already started on his next project there. Maybe Neela, Timewalker is too much to ask for?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me reading the last page of Bloodshot: :ohdear:

Also a week late, but still really digging Book of Death. From my perspective, it's a great event: interesting, well written, doesn't interrupt any of the other ongoing books but still brings a bunch of characters together to tell a story :)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shadowman was one of the books I was really lukewarm on after Justin Jordan left and I know Valiant has been looking for a way to bring him back into the fold since he's one of their more popular characters. We heard a while back that the next arc of Ninjak will see him going to the Deadside and meeting up with Shadowman who has been missing for a while. But now we know what he looks like and it's pretty drat cool.

With Kindt writing it I'm really excited to see what has happened to him in the intervening months to come out looking like this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Put that skull snake in a top hat on the cover of the new Shadowman book, that'll boost sales.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At the Valiant panel they talked about plans for Bloodshot post the Analog Man title and teased Lemire's Bloodshot Island story with art that looks as if the current Bloodshot discovers an island where the older discarded Bloodshots we've seen through the series are hidden away. After that they teased a storyline that is just VS. featuring Bloodshot's logo.

They also pushed Divinity II which seems to be focused one on of the other cosmonauts that was with Abram on the mission as she was featured in all the art they showed.

They also put a slide that just said 4001 with nothing else and said they could only say that 4001 is going to be an important part of Valiant's 2016.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 10, 2015

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

X-O posted:

At the Valiant panel they talked about plans for Bloodshot post the Analog Man title and teased Lemire's Bloodshot Island story with art that looks as if the current Bloodshot discovers an island where the older discarded Bloodshots we've seen through the series are hidden away. After that they teased a storyline that is just VS. featuring Bloodshot's logo.

They also pushed Divinity II which seems to be focused one on of the other cosmonauts that was with Abram on the mission as she was featured in all the art they showed.

They also put a slide that just said 4001 with nothing else and said they could only say that 4001 is going to be an important part of Valiant's 2016.

No idea if this has anything to do with anything, but other than being when the current Rai series happens, I knew I knew that date from somewhere. 4001 is when the original Unity happened back in the day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah in the old Valiant 4001 was a pretty big deal. I believe both Rai and Magnus took place there. The only things we've seen in the new Valiant there are Rai and the second arc of Eternal Warrior, still my favorite arc of all the new Valiant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Short reviews for this week's comics which I just finished today thanks to work. I need to stop saving Valiant for last, but the Marvel books are usually up before I leave for work now on Wednesday and Valiant isn't. C'mon Valiant you gotta start getting these up overnight!

Ninjak - Loved this issue. I love the way they framed the backstory for Fitz and now he's immediately a character I want to see more of. Pretty much a standalone issue in the middle of an arc but it was done really well. I'm not familiar with the artist, and he's no Clay Mann, but I was really digging his style.

Unity - I completely forgot about Helix surviving Armor Hunters and I read the entire crossover twice because I loved it so much. I had no clue what was going on the entire issue until that last page. Maybe I'm just a dummy, but I had no idea. I like seeing Asmus writing a non comedy style. We know the book is almost up but it's sad seeing the group fall apart like this. I hope GIN-GR makes it, but it's not looking promising.

X-O - This one is setting up a finale to the arc that probably won't end well for anybody. Hopefully Aric can make some kind of peace, but that's not been a strength of his in the past. With the Vine stuff in Imperium heating up and a whole armada ready to blast Earth here I'm guessing we're getting hostilities for the long haul.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Very solid week. You aren't alone about missing the twist at the end. Apparently the entire world was surprised too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Ninjak - Loved this issue. I love the way they framed the backstory for Fitz and now he's immediately a character I want to see more of. Pretty much a standalone issue in the middle of an arc but it was done really well. I'm not familiar with the artist, and he's no Clay Mann, but I was really digging his style.

Yeah, considering the criticism last issue drew for "oh, Ninjak fights a dude pt 7" this issue was a really smart subversion of it. And as you say, a really interesting character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well with Ninjak I don't mind issues being "Ninjak fights a guy" because I think the way Kindt writes action and the way they've drawn it in these Ninjak issues is incredibly interesting and feels fresh. Plus with every issue being oversized they still have room to include other stuff as well. And Kindt really doesn't write his fights for Ninjak in a conventional way and it's really fun seeing them play out. The issues dealing with Kannon and Roku were full of fun fights and spy stuff. Seeing as how Roku was in a very prominent position in one of the splash pages in Book of Death's fast forward part I'm really anxious to see what they do with her coming up. I also really dug her origin issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dinosaur Roman Empire is the reason humanity invented comic books as a medium.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

zoux posted:

This is my favorite ongoing right now. Issue for issue, I think it's the best Valiant series since their relaunch.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I wasn't interested in Ninjak before, but with the advertisement for that four-part story on the back of Ivar, Timewalker, I think I'm going to pick it up from that point on.
The story hook reminded me of the Planet Fiction issue of Planetary - one of my favorites.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

zoux posted:

Between this and the 'whiteys' in the previous issue, I really hope they'll continue to have Fred Van Lente write things indefinitely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.newsarama.com/26468-valiant-to-arm-retailers-with-axes-no-really.html

quote:

Valiant Entertainment has announced that it will giving custom-engraved full-size battle axes to select retailers for the debut of its new series Wrath of the Eternal Warrior on November 18. The axes will be given away to retailers participating in a promotional program for the book, but non-participants can request an axe of their own by contacting Valiant.

"Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 is already on track to become one of Valiant's single biggest releases of the year, and we want to give our retail partners a razor-sharp token of appreciation for making 2015 Valiant Entertainment's most successful year yet," said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. "Whether you're a dedicated fan or a 7,000-year-old immortal soldier, these distinctive comic collectibles will be the ultimate accent to your local comic shop, bar none."

The axes are replicas of the one used by the Eternal Warrior in comic books, and measures approximately 27 inches tall. Each one will be engraved with the Wrath of the Eternal Warrior logo.

No plans have been announced for interested readers to obtain one themselves.

Better get tight with your local shop as they are not available to fans so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno I'd just like to say you are posting extremely handsomely today, and always.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Rhyno I'd just like to say you are posting extremely handsomely today, and always.

:D

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Could I realistically lethally injure myself with one of those? Because if not, I don't want 'em.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Could I realistically lethally injure myself with one of those? Because if not, I don't want 'em.

From what we've been told it's metal so...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doesn't appeal to me, but if it gets shops to order more books and push them down the throats of customers to make more fans that's all good to me.

I haven't read this week's books yet. Long days at work but I'm gonna try and get them read tomorrow morning before I leave for work. Still need Valiant to get the books out at midnight PST on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning like Marvel does now, since Wednesday morning is a light morning for me and Thursday and Friday not so much. Come on Valiant, cater directly to me!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up Rai at issue 11 because :Valiant: and without context, I actually liked it.

Time to buy the trades I guess

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, Fall of X-O Manowar was such a satisfying read. Just like all the other "Fall of" books. Seeing Aric finally be consumed by the armor, which we all knew would happen eventually, and then his goodbye to the armor before becoming a suit of armor himself and his daughter taking up the mantle. Just so perfect and ties off so many threads that have run through the book. And seeing that eventually Trill will turn around on him so much that he'll demand a respectful and proper burial under Vine traditions for his dead leader so steadfastly that it sets him at odds with Aric's family was really cool. I am loving Book of Death so much. Still bugs me I can't get The Geomancer books because I'd love to read them seeing as how they are from my favorite Valiant writer, but I'm going on faith that Rhyno is right for once and we'll get them in the hardcover so I'm not going to shell out ridiculous money for floppies that I don't want to own as floppies.

Rai was another great issue, and ending it with Rai finally finding Gilad was great. The only downside of Crain being on the book is that it has to have long breaks between each arc. I'm fairly certain there's too much to happen in for it to all tie up in the last issue of this arc so I'm sure it'll be next arc before Rai and Gilad head off to take out Father. Then again Matt Kindt has proven he can maximize the space in a single issue to do amazing things.

And what can you say about Ivar? Van Lente continues to amaze. I hope his next project involves Neela in some fashion. Just rename the book Neela, Timewalker and let it go on since someone else is doing A&A. I know Dinesh said a while back on Twitter that he was already working on another title. Not like it was in doubt they'd let him get away.

X-O fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 24, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those axes aren't the only sharp things Valiant is sending out

We got these nifty box cutters this week!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Couldn't wait until tomorrow, had to read Book of Death before bed tonight, and I am so glad I did. What a fantastic issue. Tama is a badass is a badass in the making. The way she completely punked Darque by turning him into a tree was great. Seems she's already the most powerful Geomancer we've seen. Poor Gilad though. That did not end well for him at all. The hook and first few pages of the new Eternal Warrior title definitely left me wanting more right now. I guess the plot of the book will be him fighting his way out of Hell. I gather from the dialogue he's died several times and escaped each time.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

X-O posted:

Couldn't wait until tomorrow, had to read Book of Death before bed tonight, and I am so glad I did. What a fantastic issue. Tama is a badass is a badass in the making. The way she completely punked Darque by turning him into a tree was great. Seems she's already the most powerful Geomancer we've seen. Poor Gilad though. That did not end well for him at all. The hook and first few pages of the new Eternal Warrior title definitely left me wanting more right now. I guess the plot of the book will be him fighting his way out of Hell. I gather from the dialogue he's died several times and escaped each time.

One of Gilad's titles in the latest Rai is 'the one that hell spit out'. I guess we'll be learning real soon how he got that title.

Great ending to the whole event. I can see how more stuff comes out of this other than the eternal warrior stuff, much like how the Valiant set up the Bloodshot reborn and the book of death.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, Imperium was so drat good this week. It's the kind of comic that really reminds my why I love reading comics. Fleshing out the history of the universe and doing world building that shows the connective tissue between the Valiant titles. This is the stuff that makes comics so much fun. Josh Dysart is goddamn amazing and seemingly can do no wrong.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I honestly expected the Unity arc to last longer.

Agreed on Imperium though. I think they were right when they said we'd be rooting for Harada.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Oh man, Imperium was so drat good this week. It's the kind of comic that really reminds my why I love reading comics. Fleshing out the history of the universe and doing world building that shows the connective tissue between the Valiant titles. This is the stuff that makes comics so much fun. Josh Dysart is goddamn amazing and seemingly can do no wrong.

He's come a long way, I was never a fan of his work 10+ years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
The Bloodshot storyline "The Analog Man", which begins in January, is getting a Director's Cut that is only the pencils and lettering. Great decision on Valiant's part.