Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i caught up on the harbinger wars 2 prelude and i'm... nonplussed. maybe i haven't been reading as many books as i should to appreciate it, but i have no idea who the psiots livewire is palling around with are. the attack on them carried little weight as a result, and i can't even tell what's happening because i don't know what any of their powers are. it also feels way too much like a rehash of the government/psiot poo poo friction we've already read a ton of in valiant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Neurosis posted:

i caught up on the harbinger wars 2 prelude and i'm... nonplussed. maybe i haven't been reading as many books as i should to appreciate it, but i have no idea who the psiots livewire is palling around with are. the attack on them carried little weight as a result, and i can't even tell what's happening because i don't know what any of their powers are. it also feels way too much like a rehash of the government/psiot poo poo friction we've already read a ton of in valiant.

You should read secret weapons

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

You should read secret weapons

It’s good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i'll check it out. i do wish the imperium storyline hadn't stalled, as there were new things going on there. and harada is of course a great villain - actually of those villains i've been introduced to over the last decade or so of reading comics i think harada and the Maker (at least as Hickman wrote him) must be my favourites.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some casting news for Bloodshot

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/bloodshot-eiza-gonzalez-michael-sheen-sam-heughan-1202820560/

quote:

“Baby Driver” breakout Eiza Gonzalez, Michael Sheen, and “Outlander” star Sam Heughan are in talks to join Vin Diesel in Sony’s “Bloodshot” based on the Valiant comic, sources confirmed to Variety.

The studio had already announced it would be moving forward with its five-film shared universe plan, based on the Valiant comic books “Harbinger” and “Bloodshot.”

“Bloodshot” is about a mortally wounded soldier resurrected with cutting-edge nanotechnology and tasked with rounding up superpowered outcasts known as “harbingers.” “Bloodshot” was created by Kevin Van Hook, Don Perlin, and Bob Layton in 1992. The project has big franchise potential at Sony.

“Fast and the Furious'” Neal Moritz is producing alongside Valiant’s Dinesh Shamdasani. Dan Mintz Of DMG is also a producer.

Dave Wilson, who is “Deadpool” director Tim Miller’s partner at Blur Studio, is attached to helm. Oscar-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer (“Arrival”) is penning the screenplay.

Following her breakout role in “Baby Driver,” the studio had been searching for a potential franchise for Gonzalez. The rising star recently landed the female lead in “Kung Fury 2,” starring Michael Fassbender. She will next appear in the Robert Zemeckis pic “The Women of Marwen” and Robert Rodriguez’s “Alita: Battle Angel.”

Heughan has a huge fan base due to his role in the popular Starz series “Outlander.” He can next be seen in Lionsgate’s “The Spy Who Dumped Me.”

Sheen has a handful of films bowing next year, including “The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle,” starring Robert Downey Jr., and Gareth Evans’ “Apostle.”

Gonzalez is repped by CAA and Management 360. Sheen is repped by ICM Partners, Sanders Armstrong Caserta Management, Roxane Vacca, and attorney James Adams. Heughan is repped by UTA and United Agents in the U.K.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else a little disappointed in the most recent issue of Quantum and Woody? On one hand, I do like the premise and I do like them doing what they did, but they didn't feel like themselves. Like there should have been a bit more of hesitance and having to convince themselves to do it because they're not selfless Heroes, the flawed people who do the right thing because deep down they are good...ish. It just felt kind of generic even if I really do like some parts of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Valiant comics.
https://www.cbr.com/valiant-reveals-four-new-series-faith-bloodshot-livewire-incursion/

FAITH: DREAMSIDE
Written by JODY HOUSER
Art by MJ KIM

BLOODSHOT RISING SPIRIT
Written by LONNIE NADLER & ZAC THOMPSON
Art by KEN LASHLEY

LIVEWIRE
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by RAÚL ALLÉN with PATRICIA MARTÍN

INCURSION
Written by ANDY DIGGLE
Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Lemire go bye bye?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody stays anywhere forever. I'm HYPE for these books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The bloodshot one seems to be an origin and since they are planning the movie there may be two books.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I thought Lemire was one of the folks who was only there because of Warren Simons. I wouldn't be surprised if he is going.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between Kindt and Lemire, my understanding was that one helped recruit the other as they were both burning out on Big Two capes and Valiant showed them "we can write good, different superhero stories? Hooray!"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hey, long shot, but did anyone else's copy of Harbinger Wars 2 #2 have an extraneous line on the page opposite the Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe ad?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone feel like Quantum and Woody is declining in quality? Something just feels...off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Finally found the time to go pick up the books I ordered.

Can't wait to dig into these.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only OSHC I never was able to track down was Rai. I have all the others I wanted (everything but the two Shadowman volumes)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It looks like Valiant's new parent company, DMG, is in a bit of a pickle.

http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51593

The value of its stock has been dropping at an absurd rate–even considering the current state of the Chinese stock market–to the point where it's now considered the seventh most troubled company in China. They've also been trying to get a loan or strike a production deal with other companies to no avail.

Here we go again, folks. :smithicide:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 17, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if this is considered insider trading or not but a source tells me that the stocks will take a turn for the better if they put the Rai Deluxe Hardcover back into print. Investors see the $200-300 aftermarket for that book as a detriment to the company. Just sayin'.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Imperium OSHC futures are skyrocketing

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

I don't know if this is considered insider trading or not but a source tells me that the stocks will take a turn for the better if they put the Rai Deluxe Hardcover back into print.

:agreed:

Shadowman book 1 too, please.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

:agreed:

Shadowman book 1 too, please.

You can at least get Shadowman v1 pretty easily under a hundred bucks. Rai, if you can find it on ebay, regularly goes for 200-300 as far as I've seen.

I'm just thankful I jumped on the Divinity Deluxe Trilogy because that one is hard to find too.

Space Fish posted:

Imperium OSHC futures are skyrocketing

Gimme now. Also Unity v2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shadowman is the only one I'm missing but I don't know if I can convince myself to pay that markup. I was told they had plans to keep the entire oshc line in print but that was before the buyout.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Worst case scenario they just get sold to another company. So they should just be fine. I think. Like they're a pretty autonomous division so they can just split off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Worst case scenario they just get sold to another company. So they should just be fine. I think. Like they're a pretty autonomous division so they can just split off.

Hopefully! They're my favorite!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Harbinger Wars 2 is boring me a bit. I feel like we've already seen this kind of thing played out too many times. A step backwards from what was being done with Imperium.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know I've brought this up before but am I the only one who doesn't care for Doug Braithwaite's are at all?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Boy, Jeff Lemire left Valiant with a big ol fart with that last Bloodshot Salvation comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I know I've brought this up before but am I the only one who doesn't care for Doug Braithwaite's are at all?

It's fine until it gets colored.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Im in the position to get back into comics again.

Whats good and what should I jump into again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

algebra testes posted:

All the Valiant.

Archer & Armstrong, Quantum & Woody, X-O, Rai, Bloodshot. I've loved almost everything they've released in the relaunch.

Covok
May 27, 2013

algebra testes posted:

This is actually the thread for Valiant comics. So, this is for a particular comic book company. So all the recommendations are going to be from this one Indie company.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611169

The thread I linked above is where you can ask about the entire industry.

That said, I suggest Quantum and Woody, Archer and Armstrong, Faith, and X-O Manowar

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys.

Yeah I am a massive Valiant fan and thats mostly what I read so that is why I asked specifically here.

Tossing up between XO HCs or maybe that giant Omnibus they just released too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

algebra testes posted:

Thanks guys.

Yeah I am a massive Valiant fan and thats mostly what I read so that is why I asked specifically here.

Tossing up between XO HCs or maybe that giant Omnibus they just released too.

Isn't the Omni the original series?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, the compendium is the new series.

People itt have been talking about how great the deluxe hcs are so I am leaning towards that instead of one Compendium soft cover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are fantastic. Dont sleep on it, Valiant doesn't seem to reprint any OSHCs so if one sells out you're boned.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anyone else here quietly enjoy Harbinger Wars 2 while everyone else threw a fit over the latest DC/Marvel misfires?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Space Fish posted:

Anyone else here quietly enjoy Harbinger Wars 2 while everyone else threw a fit over the latest DC/Marvel misfires?

Meh, I was just more indifferent and *shoulder shrug* on Harbinger Wars 2. It felt too much like a Big 2 event, specifically Civil War. It really, really, felt like it wanted to be Civil War. Unlike the original Harbinger Wars which actually felt like a natural progression of the individual stories, this felt a little forced.

I didn't hate it, though. Just didn't really care one way or the other.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm back on my attempt to read through every modern Valiant trade and I'm in the middle of "Act 6." I just got up to Stalinverse (House of Red Son?) and I'm pumped.

But hey, you know what didn't age well? The Faith election issue where she is in awe that all votes count equally.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Loki election series was great though

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Really cool thing about Stalinverse is how even though it's Red Son mixed with House of M, there's also an underlying Earth 3 thing going on. All the major villains who show up are now on the side of good. Kozol, Rampage, Harada, Archer's father and even Darque are portrayed as heroic characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
About goddamned time!

https://www.amazon.com/Imperium-Del...3c-c9c1efe296c0