Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Fred Van Lente is a hell of a writer.

His plotting and storytelling in Ivar is incredible. I love A&A but Ivar, Timewalker is like another level of great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo I cannot wait for this. Clayton Crain is really outdoing himself with that art.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/11/valiant-series-summer-4001-ad?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I want the secret character to be Beta-Max, but they said "new character", so I'm now disappointed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

graybook posted:

I want the secret character to be Beta-Max, but they said "new character", so I'm now disappointed.

I think from the interview it's safe to say the character is someone we saw a glimpse of in Book of Death in the flash forward sections.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

I think from the interview it's safe to say the character is someone we saw a glimpse of in Book of Death in the flash forward sections.

That girl from Ninjak with the hair!

:pray:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LordPants posted:

That girl from Ninjak with the hair!

:pray:

Roku, who is great and I'd love to see a book about her. I thought someone said it was a new character though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O posted:

How the books intersect and build off each is one of the greatest strengths of Valiant comics. The small size and attention to detail is why it has the most cohesive interconnected universe of all.

Also for Armor Hunters I strongly suggest reading it in release order. The flow of the books is much better than reading the separate trades. Especially the trade off in the story of the actual Armor Hunters group. Because as you're reading the Armor Hunters event itself they're telling a story about those characters past in the X-O tie-ins. I know it's not easy to do with trades, but it's worth the effort.

You weren't loving kidding. Reading Harbinger Wars in order just put so many other comics events to shame, both in terms of engineering multiple perspectives and paying off several mini-arcs from before, during, and after the main conflict.

I've gone ahead and ordered the hardcover of Armor Hunters, signaling that I've come full circle from "X-O Manowar is okay I guess" to "I can't wait for this multi-part Manowar crossover to blow my mind!"

These events have also boosted my hype for Summer of 4001 to perilous heights.

I have also been greatly enjoying the trend among Valiant fans that they seem to have enjoyed the original publishing line and generally dig the new stuff, too, without any nerdy infighting about "your opinion sucks, you liked the original Rai, when really you should go back to THIS obscure 1975 miniseries to TRULY appreciate blah bloo." It's... it's okay to like comics here. ("Here" in the Valiant fandom, not casting aspersions among BSS).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Dead Drop is unreadable garbage right? I fell for Ales Kot with Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier once due to enjoying Secret avengers and Bucky is one of my favorite characters. Is it worth a read or is it just unreadable trash?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

Dead Drop is unreadable garbage right? I fell for Ales Kot with Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier once due to enjoying Secret avengers and Bucky is one of my favorite characters. Is it worth a read or is it just unreadable trash?

It's definitely the worst thing they have put out since their relaunch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not nearly the trash that is his Winter Soldier. It's actually fine, just incredibly inconsequential. Nothing in it really matters.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

X-O posted:

It's not nearly the trash that is his Winter Soldier. It's actually fine, just incredibly inconsequential. Nothing in it really matters.

Except for some reason Archer completely changes personalities and loses all his ability to fight. If you life Fred van Lentes Archer, it is grating. Also XO cannot catch a running person. Terrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Except for some reason Archer completely changes personalities and loses all his ability to fight. If you life Fred van Lentes Archer, it is grating. Also XO cannot catch a running person. Terrible.

Wait I thought Archer's whole thing was he was an awesome fighter as he has been training all his life and was born to be one? XO can conquer a planet and destroy an invasion fleet, but cant catch a running person.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait I thought Archer's whole thing was he was an awesome fighter as he has been training all his life and was born to be one? XO can conquer a planet and destroy an invasion fleet, but cant catch a running person.

Yep. Dead Drop is bad.

Archer can take down Bloodshot but not a few ninjas. XO can kill a planet made from robots but not catch a running thief. Dumb as hell.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I still can't get over the line "This was no ordinary war... these were the ROBOT WARS!" in The Fall of Bloodshot. I keep coming back to it in my mind and it's one of those little blurbs that sticks out to me that I can't help but love.

Almost like my favorite line from the v2 of Dark Avengers when Luke Cage sports a poo poo-eating grin and says "Dark Avengers... Dark Assemble."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

More reading updates...

Harbinger Vol.4 - The series up to this point seems to revel in Torque's fantasies and influence more than any other character, but I nonetheless got a huge kick out of seeing his, Kris's, and Faith's interactions within their shared fantasy construct. I especially appreciate that this is only the second time so far in my reading that Harada's genuine form has been shown. I will never tire of Animalia's adventures and perspective; she's one of Valiant's MVPs in my book.

Shadowman Vol. 2 - I knew Doctor Mirage would make a cameo in a low-zipped top, but geez, the effect is no less disappointing in this volume. The story picks up a bit compared to the first volume, and I like the supporting cast, so it's not all bad. Still comparatively lower-tier quality for Valiant, though.

Eternal Warrior - I started out a little chilly toward Gilad in general in the Valiant universe, probably due to reading The Valiant too soon, but the more I learn about him, the cooler he gets. Similar to how changing history is futile in Ivar's series, Gilad has a wise long view of civilization and is also fairly limited in what good he can actually do. Even his own family, under the most well-meaning tutelage and encouragement, will eventually turn down paths he knows will doom them and others. Nice to watch the extreme ends of the past and future bookend each other. Definitely going to reread The Valiant with a better informed pair of eyes.

Armor Hunters - A little over halfway through the hardcover collection, reading in chunks to preserve the experience. Ten tons of fun, and now I'm likely to collect Valiant's events in hardcover (Book of Death in April!) for optimal reading.

At this point in my Valiant deep dive, I have to say, any article out there preaching the publisher's virtues is pretty much spot-on. The crossovers are tight, the art rarely dips in quality, each series has a unique tone and angle to contribute to the shared universe, the creative teams are consistent, typos are rare, many events' consequences ripple throughout the timeline, and the racial diversity of the overall casts deserves praise.

Unless there's some heartbreaking story about modern-day Valiant screwing over its creative teams (I've read Valiant pays high-end page rates relative to their competition), the publisher and its universe might become my all-around favorite in due time.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
A few months ago Valiant filed some trademarks around "Generation Zero", so hopefully we'll get to see more of Animalia and the rest in the not-too-distant future.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Approaching the end of Quantum & Woody and Archer & Armstrong, feeling worse the closer I get to their endings (even with A+A soon to debut).

Based on warnings from this thread, I'm going to avoid Dead Drop unless it ever becomes available at my library or some other $0 opportunity. Sounds like a real lemon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Approaching the end of Quantum & Woody and Archer & Armstrong, feeling worse the closer I get to their endings (even with A+A soon to debut).

Based on warnings from this thread, I'm going to avoid Dead Drop unless it ever becomes available at my library or some other $0 opportunity. Sounds like a real lemon.

Do not forget The Delinquents!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I still wish I had been able to play the board game that came with The Delinquents with some friends.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not forget The Delinquents!

Happily reposting as an endorsement, because The Delinquents is seriously a shared peak for both series:

Space Fish posted:

The Delinquents - I've already read and liked some of Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody, and this was a surprisingly well-designed and -composed hobo quest. This is like Marvel's platonic ideal of Deadpool humor, but spread across four main characters (and a goat) and endlessly attractive without resorting to shootouts or buckets of blood. I know that's an imperfect comparison in so many ways, but it's an example of how Valiant gets so many things right that I now take for granted will get done half-assed at the big two. (Would also compare Q&W to Superior Foes of Spider-Man, as a compliment to both)"

The opening credits alone are more engaging and well-designed than entire comics from elsewhere. Every page is screaming its comic-ness and every uneven gag comes with a dozen better as backup.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 24, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Should have noticed prompt to "post" and not "edit," sorry.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 24, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This weeks bloodshot with Torque and Faith's deaths :(
Torque in his real body holding Faith.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Huh. Faith and Torque have a shared scene in her solo book, but I'm not following Bloodshot in issues, so okay. Looking forward to that.

Edit: actually, I'll tempt spoiler-fate on this one. I thought Book of Death already spoiled how all the major characters meet their end? Have they all effectively been prevented/altered?

Back cover is an ad for Divinity 2, the prospect of which accelerates my breathing every time I'm reminded of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Huh. Faith and Torque have a shared scene in her solo book, but I'm not following Bloodshot in issues, so okay. Looking forward to that.

Edit: actually, I'll tempt spoiler-fate on this one. I thought Book of Death already spoiled how all the major characters meet their end? Have they all effectively been prevented/altered?

Back cover is an ad for Divinity 2, the prospect of which accelerates my breathing every time I'm reminded of it.

This seems to be another potential future.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

This seems to be another potential future.

I complained about this in the Facebook spoilers group.

There are a few possibilities:
1) This future is a fake one programmed into him like his rising spirit memories or even the bloodsquirt one.
2) This is all a lie from Ninjak to manipulate Bloodshot into helping him.
3) This was written before BoD and it is a serious mistake.

Alternative futures would completely contradict Ivar, but if they hosed up, then maybe they'll need to fall back on that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I complained about this in the Facebook spoilers group.

There are a few possibilities:
1) This future is a fake one programmed into him like his rising spirit memories or even the bloodsquirt one.
2) This is all a lie from Ninjak to manipulate Bloodshot into helping him.
3) This was written before BoD and it is a serious mistake.

Alternative futures would completely contradict Ivar, but if they hosed up, then maybe they'll need to fall back on that.

I could see it being one of the first two as Lemire wrote both this and Book of death.
Didn't they have an alternate future in Eternal Weapon by Pak?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

I could see it being one of the first two as Lemire wrote both this and Book of death.
Didn't they have an alternate future in Eternal Weapon by Pak?

Lemire wrote the Fall of Bloodshot, where you can see what happens at the end if the arc in an early panel. Dysart wrote Fall of Harbinger where the contradictions occur. There is a chance that the communication between writers/editors isn't as strong as we think. There is also a chance they do something cool with it so we'll see

I don't know what you mean by Eternal Weapon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I don't know what you mean by Eternal Weapon.

Him going gently caress it and leaving with his daughter and not doing his job anymore.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Can someone refresh my memory of Torque and Faith's death in Fall of Harbinger? I don't remember their deaths bring that explicit...

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Shitshow posted:

Can someone refresh my memory of Torque and Faith's death in Fall of Harbinger? I don't remember their deaths bring that explicit...

Torque dies of the disease he has in his thirties.

Faith dies of heart failure in her fifties.

I love these realistic endings for these characters. Torque puts on the appearance of a big tough guy, but he is still just a frail sick boy inside. And I've mentioned how awesome I find Faith's final days earlier in the thread. This is good evidence that Dysart is one of Valiant's most valuable assets.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just finished Harbinger 25, and I'm definitely feeling a little unfulfilled. Pete and Harada had their little showdown (which left Peter disfigured and Harada ok?) and they blew up a bunch of sensitive Harbinger info...and then Peter gives up and Harada says gently caress it and openly tells the world that he's superhuman and he's taking over. Where is the rest of the story? Do I just go straight to Imperium?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I just finished Harbinger 25, and I'm definitely feeling a little unfulfilled. Pete and Harada had their little showdown (which left Peter disfigured and Harada ok?) and they blew up a bunch of sensitive Harbinger info...and then Peter gives up and Harada says gently caress it and openly tells the world that he's superhuman and he's taking over. Where is the rest of the story? Do I just go straight to Imperium?

Harbinger omega 1-3

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, NOW do I go to Imperium?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, haha. I am referencing the Valiant reading order on Reddit, which just lists virtually everything in chronological order, and I really want the story of Harada and his opponents. Should I read The Valiant and Divinity first, or Unity, or any of the X-O Manowar stuff? I've read Manowar up through Armor Hunters, and it struck me as odd that I haven't seen him weigh in on the end of the Harbinger books -- everything seems so logically tied together when Aric invaded Earth, or the Armor Hunters showed up, and yet I didn't feel like I was missing anything just sticking to the Harbinger books.

I also am not sure how to feel about the Bloodshot crossover where the whole thing was literally just a big misunderstanding, and a whole lot of poo poo could have been avoided if the Weirdo Twins had managed to tell eachother no, I'm cool, everything's fine, the guys I'm with are super nice to me despite my giant unibrow. Like, even if they couldn't get a lot of detail through, feelings of "safe with friends" should have been really obvious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Okay, NOW do I go to Imperium?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, haha. I am referencing the Valiant reading order on Reddit, which just lists virtually everything in chronological order, and I really want the story of Harada and his opponents. Should I read The Valiant and Divinity first, or Unity, or any of the X-O Manowar stuff? I've read Manowar up through Armor Hunters, and it struck me as odd that I haven't seen him weigh in on the end of the Harbinger books -- everything seems so logically tied together when Aric invaded Earth, or the Armor Hunters showed up, and yet I didn't feel like I was missing anything just sticking to the Harbinger books.

I also am not sure how to feel about the Bloodshot crossover where the whole thing was literally just a big misunderstanding, and a whole lot of poo poo could have been avoided if the Weirdo Twins had managed to tell eachother no, I'm cool, everything's fine, the guys I'm with are super nice to me despite my giant unibrow. Like, even if they couldn't get a lot of detail through, feelings of "safe with friends" should have been really obvious.

You should read Divinity before the second arc of Imperium.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's no Valiant books this week and that's a tragedy, but you can read a cool interview with the people in charge over at CBR: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/valiant-execs-are-on-their-own-path-wont-follow-marvel-dc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just got the deluded for X-O and Harbringer including the Armor Hunters and Harbringer Wars, it's a little silly you have to double dip to get the full story in deluxes tho.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Archer & Armstrong sale on Comixology, includes The Delinquents, Dead Drop, and the Armstrong chapters of Ivar, Timewalker. Comprised of 99-cent issues and $3.99 trades.
(I know Dead Drop is generally reviled here, but I have no other means to read it and $4 isn't too steep)

Also, this is the most on-point merchandising I've seen from Valiant:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Using this quote as an example, but there were others. Right on this very page, too!
Just finished Dead Drop and it was pretty good! The story's ultimately inconsequential, as said before, but it's still a tidy game of hot potato with a world-ending virus. The ending's too pat, but I enjoyed the ride.
Spoilery disclaimers about mishandled characters:
Archer takes out one of the ninjas but is beaten by the others, who turn out to be aliens. Their physical strength and speed could very well be superior to Archer's. As for his personality being mishandled, I give Valiant's writers leeway as to the sliding scale of how naive Archer is in a given story, since maturing him completely would rob him of a lot of charm and humor.
X-O doesn't catch Reiko because his suit was already compromised by the virus. She even says as much: "Why did you think X-O Manowar couldn't fly when he chased me? He should have caught me within seconds." Her use of the NYPD as a constant distraction to slow X-O down was pretty cool, and he got to have a "there must be another way" superhero moment from refusing to allow collateral damage in the chase.

Story points aside, Adam Gorham's artwork frequently showcases an excellent sense of movement and timing. Definitely recommended. Excellent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Archer & Armstrong sale on Comixology, includes The Delinquents, Dead Drop, and the Armstrong chapters of Ivar, Timewalker. Comprised of 99-cent issues and $3.99 trades.
(I know Dead Drop is generally reviled here, but I have no other means to read it and $4 isn't too steep)

Also, this is the most on-point merchandising I've seen from Valiant:

I need this to add to my comic-related beer bottle collection. Currently standing at...1. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is there any plans for Quantum and Woody? Series ended with a cliffhanger and it was such a great series.