Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Covok posted:

Should I panic? Because, I really like this universe and I'm worried about it.

Well they usually have about 6-10 months worth of stuff already planned at any given time. I doubt they will throw all that out, so we're good for that long.

After that, we'll see! They say they won't mess with it, and so far the editorial board is staying, so if we take them at their word, everything is going to be okay.

But this kind of thing has happened before and it hasn't turned out well so it's teaching us all an important lesson... Enjoy things when they are good because at anytime it all can be turned to garbage and thrown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know what's up with Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe (the web series, not the comic)? I feel like it's been so long since we've last heard anything about it, and now the comic book of the same name is coming out and yet we still don't have concrete info.

They wouldn't have cancelled it, right? :ohdear:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

JordanKai posted:

On a slightly different note, does anyone know what's up with Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe (the web series, not the comic)? I feel like it's been so long since we've last heard anything about it, and now the comic book of the same name is coming out and yet we still don't have concrete info.

They wouldn't have cancelled it, right? :ohdear:

This is some game of telephone business, so take this with a grain of salt.

My fiancée works with a guy who is buddies with someone who works in Valiant's digital department (something something Kevin Bacon). Apparently, Sony took huge exception to the series because they have the media rights to Bloodshot. Valiant figured that they had the online rights to him and could therefore put him in a YouTube series, but Sony's lawyers have insisted that that's not the case.

I should note that Jason David Frank and the woman who plays Livewire were both not allowed to take part in the Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe panel at NYCC.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Gavok posted:

This is some game of telephone business, so take this with a grain of salt.

My fiancée works with a guy who is buddies with someone who works in Valiant's digital department (something something Kevin Bacon). Apparently, Sony took huge exception to the series because they have the media rights to Bloodshot. Valiant figured that they had the online rights to him and could therefore put him in a YouTube series, but Sony's lawyers have insisted that that's not the case.

I should note that Jason David Frank and the woman who plays Livewire were both not allowed to take part in the Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe panel at NYCC.

Oofff, that's a bummer if true. Even though the series didn't look like a big-budget affair, not being allowed to release it must still be a huge hit to all companies involved.

Sony better release one heck of a good Bloodshot movie to make up for this. :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

Oofff, that's a bummer if true. Even though the series didn't look like a big-budget affair, not being allowed to release it must still be a huge hit to all companies involved.

Sony better release one heck of a good Bloodshot movie to make up for this. :mad:

Vin Diesel > Jason David Frank.

Any day.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Vin Diesel > Jason David Frank.

Any day.

*thinks to himself that Street Sharks > Power Rangers*

This checks out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

This checks out.

Well I was thinking about it from Hollywood's perspective but when you lay it out like that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

"That round mound of pound" refers to the circle on Bloodshot's chest.

e: If this really does mean Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe is nixed forever, I hope rough cuts of the series end up leaking or something. It looked kind of low-rent and cheesy, but I was really looking forward to it.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 31, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

This checks out.

Street Sharks tried to throw shade at TMNT in their pilot. They have no honor.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Forgetting to ask Sony about Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe then spending a bunch of money on it might have been what made DMG pull the trigger. That seems like a pretty expensive avoidable mistake.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

This checks out.

Where do Extreme Dinosaurs and Biker Mice from Mars fit in here

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, as much as the news of the last few days in da bummed me out, the last issue of Eternity really made me forget all that. What a beautiful goddamn series that was.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Neurosis posted:

Where do Extreme Dinosaurs and Biker Mice from Mars fit in here

Below Space Cats and above the Battletoads pilot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Quantum & Woody might very well end up being my favorite Valiant series if they keep up the quality of the first two issues.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O posted:

Man, as much as the news of the last few days in da bummed me out, the last issue of Eternity really made me forget all that. What a beautiful goddamn series that was.

I was kinda skeptical until the fourth issue tied everything together. Ideas over fists! (sometimes)

My shelves are crying out for that Divinity Trilogy hardcover.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What are some runs of the classic Valiant era that are worth checking out? I'm really interested in Quantum & Woody and X-O Manowar because it's all on Comixology Unlimited, but is, say, old Ninjak worth checking out?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t read all of it, but I read a ton of it and the floor on Valiant books is very high. Pick a character you like the look of and you’ll probably enjoy the book. Except for Shadowman, maybe. I thought the first arc or two was fine, I know others disagree with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love classic Valiant. The only outright bad stuff is probably the Visitor and Psi-Lords. And as much as I like the Akklaim stuff I was not a fan of how most of the previous books just abruptly ended.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First bad sign for the new regime. Eric Heisserer is apparently done with Valiant. He was supposed to be co-writing Harbinger Wars 2 with Matt Kindt but now it's all Kindt.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Whoa poo poo, and this is right after Valiant sent out promo material about the HW2 creative team...

...shouldn't this event have started production already? Or is Giorello a god?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Whoa poo poo, and this is right after Valiant sent out promo material about the HW2 creative team...

...shouldn't this event have started production already? Or is Giorello a god?

The stuff Heisserer and Allen did is all being put into one prelude issue. Kindt and Giorello are doing all of the full series instead of just half of each issue. Each issue was supposed to be 44 pages with 22 by each team originally.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/ValiantComics/status/969805614422601728

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dysart writing Harada? Instantly sold.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I wasn't sure they'd pull off the Bloodshot "dark" issue, but it was pretty darn effective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hit C2E2 today, got a bunch of crap for not showing up as Woody but still got a bunch of free comics and a hat.

Which I left on the loving train.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Another Britannia mini-series starts in July.

quote:

Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Art by ROBERT GILL
Cover A by CARY NORD
Cover B by BRIAN THIES
Variant Cover by DAVID MACK
B&W Sketch Variant by CARY NORD
AN ALL-NEW EPIC BEGINS! Valiant's sold-out descent into the horrors of the ancient world returns with A BLOODSTAINED JUMPING-ON POINT from legendary comics master Peter Milligan (Detective Comics) and Harvey Award-nominated artist Robert Gill (BOOK OF DEATH) as Antonius Axia, history's first detective, launches into an otherworldly mystery of monsters, magic, and conspiracy at the boundaries of human understanding...
The Roman standard – the eagle borne at the front of each Roman legion – was more than just a symbol of the soldiers that carried it... It was a symbol of Rome itself, the ultimate embodiment of the empire's power…
But now, in the mist-shrouded Germanic forest of Tottenwald, the unthinkable has happened: A rampaging barbarian horde has crushed three of Rome's most highly skilled detachments in battle… and captured their mighty Roman eagles.
His authority threatened by this all-too-public shame, the mad emperor Nero has dispatched Antonius Axia, the empire's finest "detectioner" and hero of Britannia, and Achillia, the sword-wielding champion of the gladiatorial arena, to reclaim his stolen relics at any cost.
But what began as a simple mission will soon become a terrifying journey into the dark heart of belief itself as the isolated woodlands of Rome's enemies reveal unseen dimensions...and the true power of the legion's lost eagles threatens to consume any who would pursue them…
$3.99 | 32 pgs. | VALIANT PRESTIGE | T+ | On Sale JULY 25th

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I picked up Ninjak Vol.2 HC on Monday, I fell off the book when these issues were shipping, Cafu draws the best Ninjak.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So apparently we're FINALLY getting Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

So apparently we're FINALLY getting Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe tomorrow.

A friend of mine got to see it at a private dinner at C2E2. He was not very enthusiastic.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
If it is anything like the comics, and the card game, prepare to be underwhelmed. The card game is likely to be the best Ninjak Vs related item, and that isnt saying much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why isn't there an Imperium OSHC? I need that poo poo like now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

Why isn't there an Imperium OSHC? I need that poo poo like now.

MY MAN SPITTING HOT TRUTHS OVER HERE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well poo poo.

Prior to being "elevated to consultant status" fired Dinesh was working on finally purchasing the Gold Key heroes. Not a license, but actually putting them under Valiants ownership. Every attempt to revitalize them outside of Valiant has been a flop and he had made some serious progress in convincing the owners that it would be in their best interests to sell them to the company who's name made people care about them again.

But with Dinesh gone it sounds like the new owners don't even care at all. All talks appear to have ceased and my guy at Valiant is pretty bummed about it as they had major plans to introduce the three into the New Valiant in 2020. They were also working on securing reprint permissions so they could do those huge hardcovers of those three classic Valiant runs but that's also been dropped.

I've been eagerly awaiting news on this since Dinesh hinted at it at C2E2 in 2016 and again said it was high on his priority list last year. Valiant today is my favorite publisher but man, the idea of bringing those guys into the modern line was so exciting, I'm just bummed as all hell that it probably won't happen.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Well, at least Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe finally came out!

:gbsmith:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m in on stuff Kindt writes and stuff Heisserer writes but otherwise Valiant is leaving me really cold lately.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo.

Prior to being "elevated to consultant status" fired Dinesh was working on finally purchasing the Gold Key heroes. Not a license, but actually putting them under Valiants ownership. Every attempt to revitalize them outside of Valiant has been a flop and he had made some serious progress in convincing the owners that it would be in their best interests to sell them to the company who's name made people care about them again.

But with Dinesh gone it sounds like the new owners don't even care at all. All talks appear to have ceased and my guy at Valiant is pretty bummed about it as they had major plans to introduce the three into the New Valiant in 2020. They were also working on securing reprint permissions so they could do those huge hardcovers of those three classic Valiant runs but that's also been dropped.

I've been eagerly awaiting news on this since Dinesh hinted at it at C2E2 in 2016 and again said it was high on his priority list last year. Valiant today is my favorite publisher but man, the idea of bringing those guys into the modern line was so exciting, I'm just bummed as all hell that it probably won't happen.

The more and more I hear about this, the more I feel Valiant is going into a dumpster fired for the EXACT same bullshit that killed it originally.

More proof corporations ruin everything.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m in on stuff Kindt writes and stuff Heisserer writes but otherwise Valiant is leaving me really cold lately.

How has Kibblesmith+Kano on Quantum+Woody worked out for you?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Quantum and Woody is my fav Valiant book right now

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Space Fish posted:

How has Kibblesmith+Kano on Quantum+Woody worked out for you?

I’m still buying it, behind on reading it. It was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo.

I'm trying not to be upset and doing a really bad job of it! I've been hoping for the GK3 to move to Valiant full-time for, what, six years now? Maybe DMG will decide to go through with it, purchase and reprint permissions both, but without Dinesh... it's like Covok said, it's Acclaim all over again. :(