Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am looking to get into Valiant and only have the miniseries Valiant and Bloodshot reborn. What are the titles that need to be read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Everyone should be reading Imperium. The lack of sales does not reflect the quality of the comic. Best drat comic on the shelves and it deserves more sales than it is getting.

Everyone read Imperium and urge your friends to read Imperium.

I will! I just started harbinger and like it. I was told that reading this is important to understanding it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

After trying a few Valiant series in the past (Harbinger Vol 1, Quantum & Woody Vol 1+2, Archer & Armstrong Vol 1), and feeling some DC/Marvel burnout, I'm ready to give this publisher a bigger shot. I read The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage in one sitting, and wow it is easily one of my favorite comics of 2015. Everything about it -writing, art, coloring, even lettering- screams quality, and has set a high bar for everything else. I like Valiant's humorous series, so picking those back up will be seamless, and I understand Bloodshot leads to Bloodshot: Reborn, an excellent and well-received take by Lemire.

What are some other high points to you? Eventually I'll probably skim at least the first volume of each series so that I know who's who during the crossovers and events, but Harbinger turned me off and I'd rather hop to another Doctor Mirage-level gem.

What did you find wrong with Harbringer? I just finished Volume 1 and really enjoyed it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is anyone else looking forward to the Faith book? I really like the character and I hope the book is good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

How's your Valiant adventure going so far?

Looking at ways to decrease my DC and Marvel books to add Valiant.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bloodshot reborn is awesome this week. Looks like they are doing a Mad Max storyline, and it's sick

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Archer and Armstrong feels like Incredible Hercules and I forgot how much I missed that book. Thank you DC for a new reboot as I can spend more money on this company.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dead Drop is unreadable garbage right? I fell for Ales Kot with Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier once due to enjoying Secret avengers and Bucky is one of my favorite characters. Is it worth a read or is it just unreadable trash?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Except for some reason Archer completely changes personalities and loses all his ability to fight. If you life Fred van Lentes Archer, it is grating. Also XO cannot catch a running person. Terrible.

Wait I thought Archer's whole thing was he was an awesome fighter as he has been training all his life and was born to be one? XO can conquer a planet and destroy an invasion fleet, but cant catch a running person.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Approaching the end of Quantum & Woody and Archer & Armstrong, feeling worse the closer I get to their endings (even with A+A soon to debut).

Based on warnings from this thread, I'm going to avoid Dead Drop unless it ever becomes available at my library or some other $0 opportunity. Sounds like a real lemon.

Do not forget The Delinquents!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This weeks bloodshot with Torque and Faith's deaths :(
Torque in his real body holding Faith.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Huh. Faith and Torque have a shared scene in her solo book, but I'm not following Bloodshot in issues, so okay. Looking forward to that.

Edit: actually, I'll tempt spoiler-fate on this one. I thought Book of Death already spoiled how all the major characters meet their end? Have they all effectively been prevented/altered?

Back cover is an ad for Divinity 2, the prospect of which accelerates my breathing every time I'm reminded of it.

This seems to be another potential future.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I complained about this in the Facebook spoilers group.

There are a few possibilities:
1) This future is a fake one programmed into him like his rising spirit memories or even the bloodsquirt one.
2) This is all a lie from Ninjak to manipulate Bloodshot into helping him.
3) This was written before BoD and it is a serious mistake.

Alternative futures would completely contradict Ivar, but if they hosed up, then maybe they'll need to fall back on that.

I could see it being one of the first two as Lemire wrote both this and Book of death.
Didn't they have an alternate future in Eternal Weapon by Pak?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I don't know what you mean by Eternal Weapon.

Him going gently caress it and leaving with his daughter and not doing his job anymore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I just finished Harbinger 25, and I'm definitely feeling a little unfulfilled. Pete and Harada had their little showdown (which left Peter disfigured and Harada ok?) and they blew up a bunch of sensitive Harbinger info...and then Peter gives up and Harada says gently caress it and openly tells the world that he's superhuman and he's taking over. Where is the rest of the story? Do I just go straight to Imperium?

Harbinger omega 1-3

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Okay, NOW do I go to Imperium?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, haha. I am referencing the Valiant reading order on Reddit, which just lists virtually everything in chronological order, and I really want the story of Harada and his opponents. Should I read The Valiant and Divinity first, or Unity, or any of the X-O Manowar stuff? I've read Manowar up through Armor Hunters, and it struck me as odd that I haven't seen him weigh in on the end of the Harbinger books -- everything seems so logically tied together when Aric invaded Earth, or the Armor Hunters showed up, and yet I didn't feel like I was missing anything just sticking to the Harbinger books.

I also am not sure how to feel about the Bloodshot crossover where the whole thing was literally just a big misunderstanding, and a whole lot of poo poo could have been avoided if the Weirdo Twins had managed to tell eachother no, I'm cool, everything's fine, the guys I'm with are super nice to me despite my giant unibrow. Like, even if they couldn't get a lot of detail through, feelings of "safe with friends" should have been really obvious.

You should read Divinity before the second arc of Imperium.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is there any plans for Quantum and Woody? Series ended with a cliffhanger and it was such a great series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Asmus has said he has more planned but he was on Unity until recently and is now working on All New Inhumans for Marvel which is a great book.

I am reading inhumans I just want more adventures of the two and goat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

It's complicated! Technically Ivar first brought it up in Archer and Armstrong. Though they didn't actually meet until Aric got married in XO.

From Ivar's first appearance

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is Shadowman any good? The last storyline in Ninjak made me interested in the character, but is he almost a completely different character now? It seems that they have completely made him into a villain at this point. How is the Punk Mambo series?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gently caress I just finished Rai. Is 4001 out yet?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

2016 is going to be a hell of a year for Valiant.

https://twitter.com/ValiantComics/status/707956665602195458

Assume that's going to be the mystery character in 4001

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Deathmate event will be comprised of a series of variant covers where the Valiant heroes are all flipping the bird at Rob Liefeld.

Only half the books come out on time and the rest come out 6 months late.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I know its a bit redundant but needs to be said. A & A and Imperium are awesome. If you are not reading them you are missing out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

For some reason I don't want to like A & A, but I keep reading it because it's great.

Why don't you want to like it you son of a lady dog?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 16, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

I don't know, alright! I don't usually read superhero stuff but I gave Valiant a try last year and now A & A is one of my favorite comics.

I need to read Bloodshot now I guess. I hope it goes on sale or something soon before 4001AD. I hope the entire Valiant catalog does because I'd probably buy everything since the relaunch that I don't have.

They had a huge rear end sale a couple of weeks ago. I assume that bloodshot might go on sale before the Deathmate is introduced as they seem to be pushing her. They also had a sale on the entire catalogue a month ago or so. I am also with you, as the only thing I really need to read is bloodshot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

It's been really fun watching bobkatt go from here to the forum's foremost Valiant evangelist in two months. It's a great company and I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a BSS/internet in general following, because they tend to do the opposite of things that I see people complain about.

Have you accepted Toyo Harada as your lord and savior?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Harbinger Wars and Divinity are triggering me.

Armor Hunters is a thing of beauty

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Norns posted:

I want to branch out a bit from the Big 2 for hero books. My favorites characters are Thor and Batman.

What should I check out here first? I'll be buying hardcovers.

Archer and Armstrong and XO are good starting points. Harbringer is also pretty important as it introduces the major villain of the entire universe, plus Faith. If you like Batman Bloodshot might also be a good jumping on point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yeah let me know too if its possible to get one

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So did the book of death ending change the fates of all the characters? The prophecy did not come to pass, but we know due to 4001 that some of the fates do happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I dunno. Ivar makes it seem like it'll happen one way or another, but then again the end could make the future able to be changed....

I think we should follow the advice of Ivar and realize that you shouldn't think too hard about time travel and let things play out. I have a feeling that while the whole 'bad guy kills everyone' event won't happen, most of the story beats including the Fall Of stuff will happen.

The one that definitely happened as written was Ninjak since it has a connection to 4001. I do hope that the fall of fates still happen since they all really fit the characters. I also want to see more of pirate armstrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O Manowar is ending at 50 :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is an article about it http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/wc-exclusive-x-o-manowar-concludes-with-50-but-venditti-is-excited-for-final-arc

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

To be honest, I don't see why that should surprise anyone. 56 issues for a single author is a huge run in comics, and now that he is doing the Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, it makes sense that now is a good stopping point.

My 2017 Venditti wish list is that he'll fix the turd that is shadowman, and make Jack Boniface cool.

Also, could XO be FvL's new series!? That would be more exciting than QaW, IMO.

They have made Shadowman a villain

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Faith is awesome. Its one of the comics I look forward to the most monthly and I found this weeks episode to be the best one yet. Its just a fun comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Divinity 2 starts this week, and I am loving PUMPED!
Anyone else?

(Valiant reading status: nearly caught up on everything in trades except for Unity, just in time for Summer of 4001)

This week is X-0, Divinity, and Bloodshot. This is a great week for comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

When I went to Emerald City Comic Con a few weeks back the Valiant booth was selling all No. 1 trades for 5 bucks a pop so I picked up The Valiant, X-) Manowar, Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak (I still can't get over that name) and Harbinger. I read Valiant first and it felt like a fairly quick read but was told to read that before Bloodshot Reborn. I read Bloodshot Reborn and I think I love the title (though again I can't get over the main character's name). I immediately ordered volume 2 after reading it. X-O had a nice hook but didn't really grab me like Bloodshot Reborn though, so I will put following that title on the backburner for now. Currently going through Harbinger and all I can think of is X-Men.

X-0 really builds off what comes before it. It has a pretty great character arc.
Also is it true Imperium is ending at 16?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Good I am not feeling Imperium and miss Harbringer.

what would be the team? Faith, livewire, and torque?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

What happened to Peter.

Whole point of omega was him leaving and not getting involved.