Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Yeah, I tried Shadowman and just couldn't do it. Ninjak all have to check out for sure. Looking at Archer and Armstrong too. So many to choose from. Not a complaint though. So far what I've read, with small exception, has been solid. Valiant is doing a good job world building.

If you read Marvels's Hercules and loved that then Armstrong and Archer is for you. It's a great funny book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Just finished the Harbinger Vol. 1 trade and I got to say I really really really liked it. At first I thought it was going to much in an X-Men direction but the ending really sold me on the title.
So I figure all the Harbinger stuff takes place before Bloodshot Reborn. Is Valiant a very interconnected universe?

Yes. Lots of things build off each other. There are a couple of crossovers before bloodshot reborn. There is the Harbringer war which Bloodshot is involved with. Then there is armorr war which is awesome. Then their is the series Valiant which leads to Bloodshot reborn. Those are the official crossovers, but you have little ones like major characters being introduced in Archer and Armstrong & X-O Manowar, and the eventual creation of the Unity team.

On another note I am thinking of getting a new avatar of Archer saying Son of a lady dg, but cant think of any text.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I love how Livewire makes friends with all the killer robots!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So that's livewire in harbingers?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They also just signed a new deal with Amazon/comixology so they are doing fine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Whaaaa? A casual googling didn't bring up any details. Here's what I hope their deal meant, though:
-Greater Amazon discounts on their books, especially hardcovers. As a smaller publisher, Valiant probably can't afford to slash their prices too much, but selling books at full price also makes them look weird on what is generally a wholesale site.
-Larger, faster Comixology discounts. If they want to follow IDW and Dark Horse's leads and price-drop from $4 to $2 per issue a month after initial release, I know I'd buy a lot more digital Valiant. The app's mainpage still advertises "Fall of Bloodshot" for $3 and has been for the past several months.
-More Valiant titles in Amazon's suggestions algorithm for comics nerds. Many of the causes for fans complaining about DC and Marvel aren't issues at Valiant, and more readers need to get with the program and dive into a universe that's so easy to enjoy.

Side rant & rave: As discussed above, I was hyped over the Valiant Summit because everyone involved seems to be well-coordinated, excited about what they're producing, and proud of the studio's work in general. The persistent tone coming from Big Two writers and artists is "this work is good for now, but I don't know if my corporate parents will throw me out on the street next month, time to bail out to Image" and undermines any sense of excitement over their titles or their quality. Reward my money with strong narratives, quality artwork, and a beacon of excitement from the creative and editorial teams, and I'll keep coming back while inviting other people to join.

Also, echoing Rhyno that Dinesh is always down to chat on the con floor. And wondering if Rhyno and I met at C2E2 without realizing it (probably not)

Here is a link http://www.tripwiremagazine.co.uk/news-and-previews/valiant-entertainment-renews-distribution-agreement-comixology/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I heard people hyping up DC Rebirth so I picked it up. All it did was make me appreciate Valiant more. And I am upset about the watchmen crossover.

I was never into Flash, but is his origin really that he got struck by lightning and had chemicals spilled on him at the same time? And the second flash had the same thing happen for some reason?

The closest thing to something that dumb in Valiant is Q&W, and that's a comedy so it has a pass.

It happened in the silver age! All the origins are crazy, and they have recon it to saying it was the speed force.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is it bad that I have basically given up reading all comics except for Valiant?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

I love you Valiant, but why must you take away everything I love even if you replace it with more things I love?

https://twitter.com/robertvenditti/status/777956973241327616

It will be relaunched in an Eternal Warrior/X-O team up book.

How is Britannia?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

the Gaffe posted:

As someone who just started reading comics two months ago and picking up everything from Image: Britannia is the first thing I've tried from Valiant. Art is amazing, story is well paced despite having a lot going on, overall pretty enjoyable. Though adult themes are present from Image, this stuff seemed more visceral for some reason, but handled well and tastefully.

e: Also the quality of the paper used for the cover and pages feel of quality and are neat.

Welcome! If looking for some comedy go to Archer and Armstrong. If you want some sic-fi action read X-O Manowar (its all on sale at comixology) Read Divinity. Harbingers introduces a bunch of important characters to the universe as a whole. Ninjak is just badass

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy poo poo x-o was amazing. Can not wait for 2017!!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

If I wanted to dabble in Valiant what TPBs should I pick up? I already read Divinity (the first book) and the first few issues of X-O, Harbinger, and Bloodshot.

Archer and Armstrong. Also keep on reading X-O and Harbinger as they are the backbone of the reboot universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm reading the Analog Man TPB and is this supposed to be like OML where it's not in continuity or what.

This is continuity nitpicking stuff, but were all the Book of the Dead tie ins supposed to be different universes, or all happening in the post Darque-steals-the-Geomancer-powers universe that was eventually averted? Because they don't really gibe with the apocalyptic future foretold in the BoD main series (which was excellent of course)

Valiant has a lot of contradictory futures, it seems.

Keep reading

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Harbinger Renegade 2 is substantially less poo poo than the first one. Hopefully it just means that the writer is bad at setting the scene and is okay at general plotting and dialogue. I'm interested what will happen. Depictions of the general setting have barely recognised Peter exists, and he doesn't have the ambition or intellect of Harada so I'm curious whether he'll do more than serve as a boss for Harada to run over - which is a funny thing for a villain to do, but that's their relationship so far.

Huh? The last time they met they were complete equals

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Peter hasn't really proved victorious in terms of overall goals, however. He's upset Harada's plans and accelerated his timetable, but hasn't ever taken Harada out of a position of power. Or so I think, I'm not sure what's been happening in the universe since the last Imperium issue.

Also Stalinverse #1 was sick.

He sort of did as he brought him out to the open, and destroyed his empire. The bleeding monk said they need to both stop, and Peter listened while Harada said gently caress that and thats what led to Imperium.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Divinity III, Bloodshot USA, Faith, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Generation Zero... Valiant's not losing any steam!

(A+A and Ninjak are alright, but aren't leading the pack IMO. Brittania is bland and Savage needs another issue to develop its story, which right now is mostly mystery and fierce dinosaurs)

Eternal warrior is done :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr President posted:

Are Divinity II and III as good as the first volume? I'm debating if I should order the trades or keep waiting and see if they put all 3 volumes in 1 big hardcover.

Yes they are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Just finished up Imperium Vol 4 and...uh? There's no conclusion! The Unity team failed to stop the ships with the tech from getting through, the Harada Foundation held the space elevator site (why was this a priority, by the way? Its not gonna solve their resource issue) and everyone just kinda walked away unscathed. Is there a finale somewhere? I don't see anything that looks related on the reddit reading order list.

Also, did I miss anything? I just read Imperium Vol 1-4, and I'm seeing that there are apparently a ton of books that come between 3 and 4. It seemed like a big chunk of the Foundation's decline just sorta happened between those two books, even though Harada pretty much triumphed over every challenge in the first three volumes. The Harada story is the one I've been most interested in -- is there any more with him or the Renegades? I was sorta miffed that there wasn't any response from Peter Stanchek through the whole thing.

Harbinger Renegades

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Just read Valiant High.

The Bad News: It's only a 4 issue mini.

The Good News: Everything else.

After binging on Archie recently this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Also Rhyno, Coach Bloodshot is awesome.

They better make this a regular series

Also comixology is having a huge trade sale. I have everything except Shadowman and Dead Drop. Have no interest in dead drop is anything with Shadowman worth it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I loved Escape from Gulag 396 and when Archer and Armstrong comes back they get Eliot Rahal is writing it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Well drat. Now Faith is ending too. So uh, hopefully they get some more ongoings going soon.

Where did you read that? What if this is all getting ready for Harbringer War 2

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Does Valiant High have to end? This comic is so much fun it's ridiculous

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Agreed on Rapture. I was originally skeptical because Ninjak* and Shadowman are lower-tier Valiant characters in my book, but issue one of Rapture came along and made me a subscriber. Between that, Secret Weapons, and the better-than-ever Manowar, this looks to be another golden summer for Valiant.

*Seven Blades of Master Darque, Ninjak's arc that directly precedes Rapture, was pretty lackluster. Gathering the "seven blades" deserved a richer setup, and as a result the cast just kinda shows up and rushes straight to the finale. Ninjak tends to make for a strong cameo and an okay lead, in my opinion.

Speaking of Matt Kindt's place as a key architect of the Valiant universe, check out his Paste interview.

The entire series has been about gathering the seven blades. The first arc was all about them and they were tied in with almost every other arc with the exception of the one that sets up Rapture, and I might be forgetting their involvement.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Also to save further question: Everything is worth picking up.

Unless it's written by Alex Kot

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

She would be very offended at being called the doctor

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

"Spotty" describes so much of F&FF.
It was an odd but endearing time-travel boss fight for a couple issues, then deflated to feeling like a shrug. I could see it working as a Futurama episode, but Valiant's cast needed something more in their wheelhouse to do. Would've been better as an annual issue for Faith.

I feel and think it's just filler as poo poo is about to go down with the harbringer war 2, and do not want to really do anything with the characters until then

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neurosis posted:

i caught up on the harbinger wars 2 prelude and i'm... nonplussed. maybe i haven't been reading as many books as i should to appreciate it, but i have no idea who the psiots livewire is palling around with are. the attack on them carried little weight as a result, and i can't even tell what's happening because i don't know what any of their powers are. it also feels way too much like a rehash of the government/psiot poo poo friction we've already read a ton of in valiant.

You should read secret weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The bloodshot one seems to be an origin and since they are planning the movie there may be two books.