Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

After trying a few Valiant series in the past (Harbinger Vol 1, Quantum & Woody Vol 1+2, Archer & Armstrong Vol 1), and feeling some DC/Marvel burnout, I'm ready to give this publisher a bigger shot. I read The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage in one sitting, and wow it is easily one of my favorite comics of 2015. Everything about it -writing, art, coloring, even lettering- screams quality, and has set a high bar for everything else. I like Valiant's humorous series, so picking those back up will be seamless, and I understand Bloodshot leads to Bloodshot: Reborn, an excellent and well-received take by Lemire.

What are some other high points to you? Eventually I'll probably skim at least the first volume of each series so that I know who's who during the crossovers and events, but Harbinger turned me off and I'd rather hop to another Doctor Mirage-level gem.

edit: Hot diggity, I found Valiant's 2015 universe guide!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I read Harbinger a couple of years ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy beyond feeling bored by the end of it. I'll reread and see if my opinion of it has changed since then - if nothing else, I should be aware of the series for the Harbinger Wars crossover, right? And hey, maybe books 2 and onward will win me over!

Full disclosure: the finale to Secret Wars felt like such a great conclusion to Marvel, and DC progresses in such baby steps (when they're not taking those steps backward), that I'd like to hop into a whole different comics universe for a while.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Delinquents - I've already read and liked some of Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody, and this was a surprisingly well-designed and -composed hobo quest. This is like Marvel's platonic ideal of Deadpool humor, but spread across four main characters (and a goat) and endlessly attractive without resorting to shootouts or buckets of blood. I know that's an imperfect comparison in so many ways, but it's an example of how Valiant gets so many things right that I now take for granted will get done half-assed at the big two. (Would also compare Q&W to Superior Foes of Spider-Man, as a compliment to both)

Divinity - Four issues, plenty of backstory and characterization, and again with the thoughtful compositions. The backup material broke down the pencils/inks/colors/letters process so well, it was like a self-contained master class in why it was so fun and satisfying to read. When Unity showed up to stop him I was worried the compelling parts of the story would get jettisoned, but nope, Abram Adams uses his powers to insert another high sci-fi concept in place of fisticuffs. Can I express again how great it feels to read a Valiant "event" that introduces a new character, builds on the surrounding world and mythos, crosses over with a bunch of other established characters, ends on a powerful note, accomodates new readers without insulting their intelligence, and only takes four issues?! And there's a sequel coming this year, I'm feeling the opposite of event fatigue. Abram, via Valiant (or vice-versa), has given me what I wanted: event hope.

Going to start Bloodshot and Ivar, Timewalker soon, with The Valiant on the way from the library. Definitely looking forward to Imperium, Ninjak, and Rai, too. I'm hooked. With the two books above plus Doctor Mirage, that's three home runs in a row in one weekend's reading. gently caress yeah.

Edit: PLUS Goat #0 and Valiant-Sized Quantum & Woody, two excellent one-shots.
Is it okay to just report back every so often and praise Valiant as they continue to impress?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 25, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

graybook posted:

Space Fish, I think your earlier post has convinced me to go back and read The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage. I stayed away from it because I hadn't kept up with the Shadowman corner of the universe, and I assumed that dealing with dead folk would mean I'd be a little lost were I to have tried it out.

The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage could just as easily be a new Image series or especially cool Doctor Strange miniseries cobbled from equal parts Brubaker noir, workmanlike Hellboy shenanigans, and Sandman-esque rules for the afterlife. There are a few end pages showing her cameo in an issue of Shadowman, otherwise her book is entirely her own.

That book does everything right including beautiful setpieces and clever panel constructions one after another, I can't recommend it enough.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Quantum & Woody - Easily my favorite ongoing Valiant has to offer, I've read all four of the trades and each has made me laugh out loud, something rare in comics. This series is right up there with Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Formerly Known As/I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League in my book for best humorous super-teamup.

The Valiant - I enjoyed this book, but am not sure why Valiant markets it as an ideal starting point for new readers. I'm somewhat familiar with everyone featured, but the all-hands-on-deck teamup brawl and seemingly inconsequential death of Kay the First-Day Geomancer left me wondering what was the intended impact of the story. The art was spot-on and everything flowed smoothly, but this was a case where Valiant could have stuffed in an extra issue or two of buildup+payoff rather than halt at just four (admittedly efficient) issues.

As mentioned by others, I look forward to adding some Valiant to my subs list, even if the company will inevitably slash prices via humble bundles and comixology. I went all-in with the recent wave of Vertigo and can swap some Valiant in as those series start to finish out their first arcs. Divinity 2? The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage Vol. 2? It's a date!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed on Faith being a ray of light. I'm so glad the quality was there to match the positive PR and grassroots hype.

I know a Marvel zombie who refuses to read Ms. Marvel because he supposedly can't relate to teenagers, but worships classic Spider-Man. When Faith was announced, he reacted with put-upon comments about "comics are for escapism not following some FAT CHICK around lol" Not sure where I'm going with that strawman assassination, but my heart grows in size to see those comics succeed without the fanboys who strangle their own pasttime with exclusive attitudes. "Comics can go anywhere and do anything... except that."

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 28, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O Manowar - Read the first three volumes so far. Between this, Flash, and Green Lantern, Robert Venditti is king of sci-fi stories that are just interesting enough to exist. As Ninjak puts it, Manowar is too much of a wrecking ball to be of much use, and I'd say that applies to the character's ability to win my interest. Every angle in his stories is cool except for him - alien armor worshipped as holy artifact? lightning sword? aliens hiding among us? Oh, but it's all to prop up some barbarian who kills everyone every time. Bloodshot can get away with being a walking murder machine because of his constant vulnerability just underneath his expert gunplay. Manowar's saving grace ought to be the flashbacks to ancient times that, ideally, would fill in his personality, but they're vanilla "must kill Romans and make love to naked wife" filler. I shouldn't be too hard on the book, because Cary Nord is no slouch for visuals, but 14 issues in, the star character feels like he's just getting started with anything resembling an arc. Please tell me Eternal Warrior is the interesting version of of "warrior throughout time" I'm looking for, because I liked him in The Valiant.

The two most interesting Manowar sequences to me so far have either involved Ninjak showing him up or the stylishly laid out, six-page origin of the Vine. I can't wait to start crossing up with Unity and watching more personalities collide with him. I read the Valiant 8-Bit Adventure: Unity some time ago and reread it recently with a new appreciation of the characters involved, and it's a fun interpretation of the battle to come via videogame tropes and graphics.

The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage: Second Lives - first two issues are putting this new arc on track to go top-shelf alongside the first trade. Between this and Faith, Valiant's stealing slots from my pull list like nobody's business.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Could Faith's success be chalked up as a victory on the part of the Valkyries?
I'm sincerely asking, as I know that group is known to signal-boost for certain titles, but I don't know how much that translates into actual sales.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ohhhh poo poo, just finished X-O book four, and y'all weren't lying. THE GOOD PART'S FINALLY HERE!!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

*knock knock knock*

Pardon the triple post, I just have some reading updates...

Harbinger - Upon revisiting book one, I don't feel as harsh about this title as before. Sure, many of the plot ingredients feel a bit also-ran by now, and the layouts could use some more pep (hey, at least it's clear), but there are also a lot of promising seeds planted for future volumes. Somehow, I forgot Faith was straight-up activated in the first trade, and that Project Rising Spirit gets name-dropped. The potential rape scene seems much less like one on my second reading, maybe because I'm less eager to pounce to that conclusion and more willing to acknowledge that they're both wearing clothes and all any individual reader needs to know from that scene is that Pete was disturbed enough to take advantage of a former childhood friend. How far he went, we'll never know (for now?), only that Kris absolutely despises him for the mental + physical violations. My blurry "it was just molestation" benefit of the doubt doesn't let Pete or his narrative off the hook, but does make the premise of following his development a little more palatable to me personally. Also, if reading through this series helps set up the much-touted Imperium, then I'm game.

X-O Manowar / Unity - Unity's first trade was a fun payoff to the threads set up in previous X-O books (and Harbinger to a lesser extent). The crossover trade of X-O felt surreal, when Valiant touts itself as handling its universe differently from Marvel and DC then turning around and assigning different crossover moments to different trades. Whatever, so long as Aric has a supporting cast and a little more self-awareness than before, I'll stick with this Visigoth. Not sure what further volumes of Unity will be like, though, or if I look forward to them. Wary of a team book among so many individual tales, perhaps?

Ivar, Timewalker - Yes! Loved the extended paradox in the first trade, reminded me a lot of the Booster Gold story where he simply can't manage to prevent The Killing Joke from taking place. Plus, a Nazi bunker populated almost entirely with time-travel rookies who want to make a name for themselves killing peak-of-influence Hitler and time-traveling internet trolls-for-hire.

Shadowman - Doctor Mirage appearing in the second volume is all I look forward to in this. Not a bad first book, but generic to the point that it's not "apart from the Valiant universe" so much as "could have taken place in any universe."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harbinger Vol.2 - This just got a LOT better, to the point that I've made sure to synchronize my reading of this, Bloodshot, and Harbinger Wars so that I get maximum hype from seeing how each series interacts in close reading succession. Watching a team of supposed losers come together in Harbinger felt satisfying in a way other super-teams or outcast groups (*cough*X-Men) rarely do these days. I hope each of the Renegades' limitations continues with them for further character moments.

Death-Defying Doctor Mirage: Second Lives - Still in love, would say all over again, but my love for the first arc never stopped.

Archer & Armstrong Vol. 2 - Oh hey, it's the book that would've made The Valiant a lot more relevant! Fun story on its own, but also worth reading for all the context about the Geomancer's worth to the planet.

I think anyone who characterizes Valiant as "better than companies that do big crossover events" needs to tweak their comparison to "big dumb crossover events," because I've been tripping over crossovers every other trade, and to Valiant's credit they've always been pretty tightly constructed and make sense within each series's themes and tone. It's like Valiant wants to reward fans for reading multiple series without wasting their time, either!

X-O Manowar: Prelude To Armor Hunters - An okay interlude for the Nebraska moments, except that half the story is "look out, those Armor Hunters are coming, and they look mean!" Charming guest mini-comics, though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O posted:

How the books intersect and build off each is one of the greatest strengths of Valiant comics. The small size and attention to detail is why it has the most cohesive interconnected universe of all.

Also for Armor Hunters I strongly suggest reading it in release order. The flow of the books is much better than reading the separate trades. Especially the trade off in the story of the actual Armor Hunters group. Because as you're reading the Armor Hunters event itself they're telling a story about those characters past in the X-O tie-ins. I know it's not easy to do with trades, but it's worth the effort.

You weren't loving kidding. Reading Harbinger Wars in order just put so many other comics events to shame, both in terms of engineering multiple perspectives and paying off several mini-arcs from before, during, and after the main conflict.

I've gone ahead and ordered the hardcover of Armor Hunters, signaling that I've come full circle from "X-O Manowar is okay I guess" to "I can't wait for this multi-part Manowar crossover to blow my mind!"

These events have also boosted my hype for Summer of 4001 to perilous heights.

I have also been greatly enjoying the trend among Valiant fans that they seem to have enjoyed the original publishing line and generally dig the new stuff, too, without any nerdy infighting about "your opinion sucks, you liked the original Rai, when really you should go back to THIS obscure 1975 miniseries to TRULY appreciate blah bloo." It's... it's okay to like comics here. ("Here" in the Valiant fandom, not casting aspersions among BSS).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

More reading updates...

Harbinger Vol.4 - The series up to this point seems to revel in Torque's fantasies and influence more than any other character, but I nonetheless got a huge kick out of seeing his, Kris's, and Faith's interactions within their shared fantasy construct. I especially appreciate that this is only the second time so far in my reading that Harada's genuine form has been shown. I will never tire of Animalia's adventures and perspective; she's one of Valiant's MVPs in my book.

Shadowman Vol. 2 - I knew Doctor Mirage would make a cameo in a low-zipped top, but geez, the effect is no less disappointing in this volume. The story picks up a bit compared to the first volume, and I like the supporting cast, so it's not all bad. Still comparatively lower-tier quality for Valiant, though.

Eternal Warrior - I started out a little chilly toward Gilad in general in the Valiant universe, probably due to reading The Valiant too soon, but the more I learn about him, the cooler he gets. Similar to how changing history is futile in Ivar's series, Gilad has a wise long view of civilization and is also fairly limited in what good he can actually do. Even his own family, under the most well-meaning tutelage and encouragement, will eventually turn down paths he knows will doom them and others. Nice to watch the extreme ends of the past and future bookend each other. Definitely going to reread The Valiant with a better informed pair of eyes.

Armor Hunters - A little over halfway through the hardcover collection, reading in chunks to preserve the experience. Ten tons of fun, and now I'm likely to collect Valiant's events in hardcover (Book of Death in April!) for optimal reading.

At this point in my Valiant deep dive, I have to say, any article out there preaching the publisher's virtues is pretty much spot-on. The crossovers are tight, the art rarely dips in quality, each series has a unique tone and angle to contribute to the shared universe, the creative teams are consistent, typos are rare, many events' consequences ripple throughout the timeline, and the racial diversity of the overall casts deserves praise.

Unless there's some heartbreaking story about modern-day Valiant screwing over its creative teams (I've read Valiant pays high-end page rates relative to their competition), the publisher and its universe might become my all-around favorite in due time.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Approaching the end of Quantum & Woody and Archer & Armstrong, feeling worse the closer I get to their endings (even with A+A soon to debut).

Based on warnings from this thread, I'm going to avoid Dead Drop unless it ever becomes available at my library or some other $0 opportunity. Sounds like a real lemon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not forget The Delinquents!

Happily reposting as an endorsement, because The Delinquents is seriously a shared peak for both series:

Space Fish posted:

The Delinquents - I've already read and liked some of Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody, and this was a surprisingly well-designed and -composed hobo quest. This is like Marvel's platonic ideal of Deadpool humor, but spread across four main characters (and a goat) and endlessly attractive without resorting to shootouts or buckets of blood. I know that's an imperfect comparison in so many ways, but it's an example of how Valiant gets so many things right that I now take for granted will get done half-assed at the big two. (Would also compare Q&W to Superior Foes of Spider-Man, as a compliment to both)"

The opening credits alone are more engaging and well-designed than entire comics from elsewhere. Every page is screaming its comic-ness and every uneven gag comes with a dozen better as backup.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 24, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Should have noticed prompt to "post" and not "edit," sorry.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 24, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Huh. Faith and Torque have a shared scene in her solo book, but I'm not following Bloodshot in issues, so okay. Looking forward to that.

Edit: actually, I'll tempt spoiler-fate on this one. I thought Book of Death already spoiled how all the major characters meet their end? Have they all effectively been prevented/altered?

Back cover is an ad for Divinity 2, the prospect of which accelerates my breathing every time I'm reminded of it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Archer & Armstrong sale on Comixology, includes The Delinquents, Dead Drop, and the Armstrong chapters of Ivar, Timewalker. Comprised of 99-cent issues and $3.99 trades.
(I know Dead Drop is generally reviled here, but I have no other means to read it and $4 isn't too steep)

Also, this is the most on-point merchandising I've seen from Valiant:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Except for some reason Archer completely changes personalities and loses all his ability to fight. If you life Fred van Lentes Archer, it is grating. Also XO cannot catch a running person. Terrible.

Using this quote as an example, but there were others. Right on this very page, too!
Just finished Dead Drop and it was pretty good! The story's ultimately inconsequential, as said before, but it's still a tidy game of hot potato with a world-ending virus. The ending's too pat, but I enjoyed the ride.
Spoilery disclaimers about mishandled characters:
Archer takes out one of the ninjas but is beaten by the others, who turn out to be aliens. Their physical strength and speed could very well be superior to Archer's. As for his personality being mishandled, I give Valiant's writers leeway as to the sliding scale of how naive Archer is in a given story, since maturing him completely would rob him of a lot of charm and humor.
X-O doesn't catch Reiko because his suit was already compromised by the virus. She even says as much: "Why did you think X-O Manowar couldn't fly when he chased me? He should have caught me within seconds." Her use of the NYPD as a constant distraction to slow X-O down was pretty cool, and he got to have a "there must be another way" superhero moment from refusing to allow collateral damage in the chase.

Story points aside, Adam Gorham's artwork frequently showcases an excellent sense of movement and timing. Definitely recommended. Excellent.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Shadowman - Agreed with other posters, the prequel issues are the best, Jack just isn't given enough proper villainy/occult mess to overcome (as of the third trade, so far as I know). Doctor Mirage is a waaay better occult series.

Bloodshot - Finally caught up to the trades I think, up through Bloodshot Reborn Vol.1. The H.A.R.D. Corps stuff was an overall valley compared to previous volumes, but I still enjoyed the hosed-up origins of all the teams and how their powers were comparably half-assed compared to everyone else in Valiant. Plus that one scene of the stoner teammate talking a hulking beast-man of an opponent into surrendering and feeling horrible about it - pretty well done at times, but Reborn is still better.

Rai - Just finished volume one, good god that artwork is slick, can Rai fight Battle Angel Alita on top of Earth-blasting New Japan and get it over with?

Only a little farther to go until Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong series are caught up...here's to going out on high notes!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Everyone should be reading Imperium. The lack of sales does not reflect the quality of the comic. Best drat comic on the shelves and it deserves more sales than it is getting.

Everyone read Imperium and urge your friends to read Imperium.

Quoting this from a couple months ago because it and other Imperium posts from January made an impression on me but I wanted to take my time and read through all of Valiant's offerings on the way to Imperium.

Now that I've read the first trade? Yeah, any blue feelings I had over Harbinger ending (aw man...) were met with equal elation over how great a start Imperium is into the evil version (aw yeah!). Plus the H.A.R.D. Corps are still around to get their asses kicked! Everyone comes out ahead.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Book of Death - Oh, so that's how The Valiant was supposed to end! I can't imagine what it would have been like to wait an entire year between events for all of The Valiant's major threads to resolve here, but nevertheless, what a ride. I'm liking Gilad more than ever and feeling really hyped for Wrath of The Eternal Warrior now.

Is my hype warranted?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I would be first in line for a hardcover even though I am a dumb baby who hunted down all the issues. They are pretty drat good, and give some great background into the lore behind the whole Valiant universe.

That being said, Dinesh has gone on record dozens of times that they will not be reprinted, so I am pretty skeptical of those rumors.

Yesterday at C2E2 at a Valiant panel, Legend of the Geomancer came up and CEO Dinesh said that while they wanted to make the comic an object fans had to track down, they never intended for it to become a scalpers' treasure that marked up to $25-50 online. He said that they would somehow distribute the remaining issues they still have around, though I'm not sure the actual method.

There's a deal at their booth, six volume 1's for $30. Lots of hardcovers calling to me, too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I was down like a clown for the first Bloodshot Reborn trade, and the second is just as strikingly beautiful with its visuals, but... wtf is with Magic? It's one thing for Aric, Space Barbarian to need to lay with a woman to feel big, but in Bloodshot her portion of the story feels like Lemire overcompensating for something. I'm twenty by the way, no jailbait here! Glad Kay's still around as a latent vision to guilt him about it.

Faith remains a ray of sunshine, y'all should have seen all the smiling fans of all ages who got copies signed by Marguerite Sauvage at C2E2.

Just a few more trades until I'm caught up with current Valiant (Imperium Vol. 2-onward, Ninjak 3-onward, Rai 3, Unity 4-onward, and Ivar 3).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Maybe this'd be more appropriate in the trades & hardcovers thread, but here makes the most sense to me:

Yup! Picking up Valiant's event hardcovers as I traverse their universe. The Valiant holds up waaay better to me now compared to my first time.

I got to meet Robert Venditti recently and articulate how it felt being frustrated at how "slow" his run of X-O was then developing an appreciation for what was being built in the long-term. He was very nice and expressed gratitude to be able to write one series for 50 issues.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Divinity 2 starts this week, and I am loving PUMPED!
Anyone else?

(Valiant reading status: nearly caught up on everything in trades except for Unity, just in time for Summer of 4001)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Divinity II is off to a good start. It feels so good to get my money's worth from a floppy. For $4 (a little less with my LCS discount), I get Divinity II's solid cover material, great paper quality, making-of pages with creator commentary at the end, and NO ADS (okay, a couple of pages at the very end promoting Valiant, no harm or distraction done there).
The only way Valiant could sweeten the deal would be to include a sweet letters page or digital download codes, but I'm already satisfied with a great story and art contained in a quality format.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Animalia's still kickin', right?
She'd better be.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

4001AD still going strong! :dance:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anyone else hyped for the Valiant Summit this afternoon?
*has a seat at front of the internet, waves tiny flag*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant is brilliantly hitting the sweet spot between the Big Two's "here's a bunch of familiar characters with a twist/progression" and everyone else's "here're some sweet new books from talented creators" (your milligan may vary)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Variant Comics has a video up of footage from the Summit plus interviews.

It's so fun watching Dinesh pitch books, whether live or on camera. You can tell he cares about the quality of the books from listening to the pace of his speech speed up as he describes a premise or how he covers all the different angles of a title in one long run-on sentence. If there's a cynical bone in his body, he mustn't let on until he's at home or something.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

They also just signed a new deal with Amazon/comixology so they are doing fine.

Whaaaa? A casual googling didn't bring up any details.
EDIT: Thanks! I guess Kindle integration is an upgrade? C'mon Amazon, encourage some discounting policies!

Here's what I hope their deal meant, though:
-Greater Amazon discounts on their books, especially hardcovers. As a smaller publisher, Valiant probably can't afford to slash their prices too much, but selling books at full price also makes them look weird on what is generally a wholesale site.
-Larger, faster Comixology discounts. If they want to follow IDW and Dark Horse's leads and price-drop from $4 to $2 per issue a month after initial release, I know I'd buy a lot more digital Valiant. The app's mainpage still advertises "Fall of Bloodshot" for $3 and has been for the past several months.
-More Valiant titles in Amazon's suggestions algorithm for comics nerds. Many of the causes for fans complaining about DC and Marvel aren't issues at Valiant, and more readers need to get with the program and dive into a universe that's so easy to enjoy.

Side rant & rave: As discussed above, I was hyped over the Valiant Summit because everyone involved seems to be well-coordinated, excited about what they're producing, and proud of the studio's work in general. The persistent tone coming from Big Two writers and artists is "this work is good for now, but I don't know if my corporate parents will throw me out on the street next month, time to bail out to Image" and undermines any sense of excitement over their titles or their quality. Reward my money with strong narratives, quality artwork, and a beacon of excitement from the creative and editorial teams, and I'll keep coming back while inviting other people to join.

Also, echoing Rhyno that Dinesh is always down to chat on the con floor. And wondering if Rhyno and I met at C2E2 without realizing it (probably not)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 21, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

With the announcement of Divinity III, I was briefly curious if Divinity II would still bring the heat...

...and today I got SCORCHED, got-dang this is a hot series. gently caress.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The 8-bit comic is legit among digital tie-ins not just for its on-point graphics and videogame references, but also for unique design decisions that could only work in digital, such as using a speed-scrolling effect to simulate movement. Reading it in my pre-Valiant days didn't cause me to seek out the Unity comics, but when I eventually got to the series, I revisited their 8-bit training adventure and it was twice as fun.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dunbar posted:

I picked up the first Divinity trade at the library on a whim and thought it was terrific. But I also thought it was meant to be self contained, so I didn't really know where to go from there

Start reading Divinity 2, it totally lives up to the original so far!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Buying both omnibuses will get you all of Harbinger, yeah.
Once it's done, jump directly to Imperium and Faith.

Other Valiant chat: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is SO loving good right now. This "Labyrinth" arc is great.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I concur with 4001 A.D. Shadowman being one of the best iterations of the character.

The only semi-disappointing issue of 4001 A.D. this summer has been the Bloodshot tie-in, and even that had a cool road trip sequence. Valiant's putting Rebirth and Civil War II to shame over in their corner of the comics market.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Eternal Warrior can take its sweet drat time when the art/colors are that pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant collections sale on Comixology