Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed on War Mother, Valiant's kicked off an excellent new character/series to fill the gap between Divinity II and III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O posted:

I don't think it's a series. I'm pretty sure it's just a one shot for 4001.

Ah! I mistook it for a fresh #1 and not a tie-in. My bad.
Valiant seems to like teasing War Mother's continued involvement in some forthcoming futuristic series, so I'll look forward to that whenever it's out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hot tip: I got to read an uncolored copy of Generation Zero #1 and it's pretty great. The psiots are back in style!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

4001 A.D. ends this week, ahhhh!
Satisfying event so far, I just hope Valiant can stick the landing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Before Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #11: "I don't see how they can top the Labyrinth storyline, this next arc will probably underwhelm."
After: "Nevermind."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Generation Zero still going strong, too.
Checked out Brittania and I'm a little cold.
X-O sendoff was an excellent treatment of the entire run, can't wait to see what's next.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Doctor Mirage!!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

that looked interesting but I think you have to read Shadowman to understand it?

Doctor Mirage was one of the first Valiant trades I ever read and I had no idea about Shadowman (and he doesn't figure into Mirage's stories anyway, only the reverse), so please, dive right in.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed, Shadowman is often the least effective and interesting character in his own stories, which is a shame because everyone and everything around him is ripe for good stories.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Divinity III, Bloodshot USA, Faith, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Generation Zero... Valiant's not losing any steam!

(A+A and Ninjak are alright, but aren't leading the pack IMO. Brittania is bland and Savage needs another issue to develop its story, which right now is mostly mystery and fierce dinosaurs)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Eternal warrior is done :(

True, but next time Valiant offers a line-wide sale, I want goons to drop some buckazoids on Gilad's series.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Neurosis posted:

God I love Valiant. It's so consistently good.

Valiant Comics: It has been forever since our last stupid mistake.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The 4001 AD Shadowman one-shot was solid, plus the Deadside plays an interesting (if small so far) role in Divinity III: Stalinverse.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Trump is referenced in Bloodshot USA as PRS's tentative (pre-election) political puppet.

Divinity III has been rocking as hard as II so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

YUP.
If I wasn't already firmly entrenched in Valiant, I'd be lucky to have this humble bundle as a starting haul. Hop on in, lucky lurkers, the water's fine!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant collections sale on Comixology, ends Sunday, load up y'all.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 24, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Divinity III finale = HOT DIGGITY drat, wrapped up maybe a little too neatly but in usual Valiant fashion there are plenty of doors open for expansion later.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Complete with trademark NERD BOSS hat?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Does Valiant High have to end? This comic is so much fun it's ridiculous

You ain't lying! Every gag is spot on, including the great Mirage moment.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Checking in to say Faith is still so refreshing compared to much of the superhero landscape. Always warmhearted, geeky, self-aware, and ultimately sweet, almost to the point of toothache. Latest issue is no exception.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Free Comic Book Day reactions:
X-O Manowar: Nice little anecdote, hits that ideal target of not affecting the monthly storyline while still establishing an accurate tone for new readers.
Bloodshot: "Once upon a time, I was Bloodshot. Then I didn't like being Bloodshot and quit it for a minute, but I met some other Bloodshots and that was nice. Then I quit for keeps, except now? I'm Bloodshot again. Well, not the original Bloodshot, but a nano-accurate simulation with the same memories as the original. You can just call me Bloodshot."

Promotion-wise:
Quantum & Woody are a welcome comeback
Faith + time travel = two kinds of stories Valiant tells really well
PSI-LORDS more like PSI-DORKS
Eternity ... Divinity has been a golden goose, here's hoping for a continuation of that caliber art and story

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Crossposting from digital comics thread:
Valiant High #1-3 on sale.
Supposedly will only ever be digital-only, so now's the time to try this series out! Leans heavily on in-jokes and references from the Valiant universe, but is also cute and lighthearted to the max.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed on Rapture. I was originally skeptical because Ninjak* and Shadowman are lower-tier Valiant characters in my book, but issue one of Rapture came along and made me a subscriber. Between that, Secret Weapons, and the better-than-ever Manowar, this looks to be another golden summer for Valiant.

*Seven Blades of Master Darque, Ninjak's arc that directly precedes Rapture, was pretty lackluster. Gathering the "seven blades" deserved a richer setup, and as a result the cast just kinda shows up and rushes straight to the finale. Ninjak tends to make for a strong cameo and an okay lead, in my opinion.

Speaking of Matt Kindt's place as a key architect of the Valiant universe, check out his Paste interview.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fair enough, but I don't think the Seven Blades were given much to do. It was very much the Ninjak + Roku show, which is fine, but the kick-rear end #1 cover and solicit led me astray.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Giorello and Allen are heavy hitters, I'll read anything they're working on.
And as much as this event is a "War" "2," here's hoping it's just a neat status quo shake-up for several characters like the first HW was.

Bloodshot being programmed to wreck Harada's poo poo, complete with briefing cutaways to explain how it works, is in my Top 5 Valiant Moments.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harbinger sale on Comixology includes Imperium issues + trades, same price either way.
...I don't need to reread Imperium, right?
...okay, which format should I buy?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rai's yearbook was a great primer for Valiant's current continuity, but it was marketed as having some sort of secret or revelation. Add to that the original Rai #0 dropped bombshells and there was a lot of expectation to live up to.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

So uh, is Britannia going to end like an episode of Scooby Doo or what? Enjoying it more than the first arc, now that the players have been introduced.

Secret Weapons is exactly as good as Valiant has been hyping it to be, please stay this good for the whole run.

Kindt is doing more for X-O and Shadowman (via Rapture) than I ever thought possible.

If Faith & Future Force and renewed Quantum & Woody work out, this will be another golden year for Valiant, to say nothing of Divinity/Eternity...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What's that? An excuse to wax about recent Valiant titles?

Faith & The Future Force is good stuff. Plays with time travel similar to Ivar, Timewalker and utilizes the extended Valiant cast pretty well. Jody Houser continues to be a good match for Faith and Valiant in general.

Secret Weapons has been a goddamn crown jewel of summer comics. Seriously, always bank on Raul Allen. Thoughtful, detailed, playful, colorful, creative... it's got everything you could want out of an X-Men mini.

Rapture is a high-water mark for Shadowman. Another mini made of winning issues and, in my opinion, one of the better Ninjak stories.

X-O Manowar is riding a never-ending crest of space-barbarian storytelling, all hail Kindt & Giorello.

Harbinger Renegades... I love this supergroup, but the story's still heating up. Time will tell.

Britannia was alright, wouldn't mind more.

Still need to read War Mother.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior has all of my favorite Gilad.
Kano's work on Quantum & Woody (The Delinquents, the upcoming Kibblesmith stuff) is a comics miracle.
The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage is one of the best self-contained "superhero" stories I've read (Vol.1 more than 2), and it paired with Divinity to extreme satisfaction as my jumping-on points for Valiant.
Everything that was said about Harbinger Wars reminds me how competently Valiant handles events. The worst thing I can ever say is that they tend to keep their stories compact, but compared to Big Two bloat, I'm not complaining.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I don't have any ComicsPRO stores around. How the hell do I get my mitts on this?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harrumph! My OSHC Valiant shelf won't like this... especially with winter on its way...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For those who've read Eternity: Why is Myshka wearing a Watchmen shirt? Doesn't that kind of undermine Valiant's posturing about being above the Marvel/DC fray? "Look at creatively bankrupt DC, exhuming Alan Moore's narrative bones yet again to cash in on Watchmen. Oh hey, check out this Watchmen reference before Doomsday Clock begins!"

Just a knee-jerk reaction. Also, despite claims from Valiant to the contrary, Eternity is totally "Divinity 4." I enjoyed reading it, I just don't like some of the promotional language that led up to it. Divinity has a solid track record. Own it!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Spotty" describes so much of F&FF.
It was an odd but endearing time-travel boss fight for a couple issues, then deflated to feeling like a shrug. I could see it working as a Futurama episode, but Valiant's cast needed something more in their wheelhouse to do. Would've been better as an annual issue for Faith.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

Double postin' to say that a standard OSHC of Secret Weapons has been solicited but no word if all the extras from the LCSD edition will be included.

Also I can't believe I waited to read this series because it's amazing.

Thanks for sharing updates on this book as you hear stuff about it. No shops near me could score the LCSD edition, but if there's some other way to get a OSHC of Secret Weapons on my shelf, I'm a happy camper.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cross-posting from the digital comics thread, and because someone needs to keep this thread alive:

Valiant's finally on board the insane digital sale train!

Hard to go wrong with anything. For those fresh to the Valiant universe, here's a handy planning chart:

Harbinger and Bloodshot cross over in two good events, Harbinger War and Armor Hunters. Events done right.

Harbinger also leads into Imperium, which is better than Harbinger in many ways.

Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody have a standalone crossover, The Delinquents. It's all good.

Rai leads into 4001 A.D. and it's all good.

The whole Divinity series is cool.

Most of Shadowman is bland, as is Dead Drop. Everything else is pretty much can't-miss.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 29, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant High bonus chapter: the school is invited to submit a short film to a festival, with the county council paying close attention in order to tweak their budget line for the school. Ninjak convinces everyone to make a cool comic instead, it gets high reviews but isn't a blockbuster movie, so the school's turned into a... uhh... *adjusts glasses* Nintendo 64 game.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

X-O posted:

Man, as much as the news of the last few days in da bummed me out, the last issue of Eternity really made me forget all that. What a beautiful goddamn series that was.

I was kinda skeptical until the fourth issue tied everything together. Ideas over fists! (sometimes)

My shelves are crying out for that Divinity Trilogy hardcover.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Whoa poo poo, and this is right after Valiant sent out promo material about the HW2 creative team...

...shouldn't this event have started production already? Or is Giorello a god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

Why isn't there an Imperium OSHC? I need that poo poo like now.

MY MAN SPITTING HOT TRUTHS OVER HERE