Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've been enjoying Ivar, Timewalker a good deal, and I'm definitely excited for more Archer and Armstrong. Keep it up, Valiant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Uh, is it just me, or is one of the early panels in today's Bloodshot Reborn a tracing of the most common GIS result for "sassy black woman"?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I wasn't interested in Ninjak before, but with the advertisement for that four-part story on the back of Ivar, Timewalker, I think I'm going to pick it up from that point on.
The story hook reminded me of the Planet Fiction issue of Planetary - one of my favorites.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I honestly expected the Unity arc to last longer.

Agreed on Imperium though. I think they were right when they said we'd be rooting for Harada.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm not even fully through Unity #25 and I'm cracking the heck up. This is swell.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
IIRC Imperium mainly builds off of Harada from the Harbinger stuff; I don't think Unity comes up much, and if at all, not in a manner that would necessitate reading a bunch of it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm so glad we'll be getting more A&A this year. I missed their duo antics so much.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Rusty Kettle posted:

Everyone should be reading Imperium. The lack of sales does not reflect the quality of the comic. Best drat comic on the shelves and it deserves more sales than it is getting.

Everyone read Imperium and urge your friends to read Imperium.

Believe me, bud, I've been buying it since day one and haven't regretted it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Space Fish, I think your earlier post has convinced me to go back and read The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage. I stayed away from it because I hadn't kept up with the Shadowman corner of the universe, and I assumed that dealing with dead folk would mean I'd be a little lost were I to have tried it out.
After being a little lost anyways right now in following the Operation: Deadside arc in Ninjak, I don't think I'll mind not knowing too much about that corner if there's enough praise for that collection. I've been able to pretty much trust Valiant this entire time, so that oughta be good.

Though to deviate from all the praise, I will say that I feel a little 'ehh' about the way the current Ninjak arc's framing is handled; it feels super artificial, but the events being recalled are pretty neat to me anyways that it's excusable.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Space Fish posted:

Quantum & Woody - Easily my favorite ongoing Valiant has to offer, I've read all four of the trades and each has made me laugh out loud, something rare in comics. This series is right up there with Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Formerly Known As/I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League in my book for best humorous super-teamup.

The Valiant - I enjoyed this book, but am not sure why Valiant markets it as an ideal starting point for new readers. I'm somewhat familiar with everyone featured, but the all-hands-on-deck teamup brawl and seemingly inconsequential death of Kay the First-Day Geomancer left me wondering what was the intended impact of the story. The art was spot-on and everything flowed smoothly, but this was a case where Valiant could have stuffed in an extra issue or two of buildup+payoff rather than halt at just four (admittedly efficient) issues.

As mentioned by others, I look forward to adding some Valiant to my subs list, even if the company will inevitably slash prices via humble bundles and comixology. I went all-in with the recent wave of Vertigo and can swap some Valiant in as those series start to finish out their first arcs. Divinity 2? The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage Vol. 2? It's a date!

Funnily enough, for Quantum and Woody Must Die!, Lieber was on art for those issues, so it's a fitting reminder of Superior Foes, I think.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Eyup. Also, Teenage Fansub, I think you meant Bloodshot. Unless we're getting a Suicide Squad/H.A.R.D. Corps crossover or something.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I want the secret character to be Beta-Max, but they said "new character", so I'm now disappointed.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I still can't get over the line "This was no ordinary war... these were the ROBOT WARS!" in The Fall of Bloodshot. I keep coming back to it in my mind and it's one of those little blurbs that sticks out to me that I can't help but love.

Almost like my favorite line from the v2 of Dark Avengers when Luke Cage sports a poo poo-eating grin and says "Dark Avengers... Dark Assemble."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I still wish I had been able to play the board game that came with The Delinquents with some friends.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh man, just found out about the audio drama thing they're doing.
http://www.pendantaudio.com/shows/ArcherArmstrong

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The end of the second feature in the Bloodshot Reborn annual was magical. :allears:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Rusty Kettle posted:

My goodness. If Fred takes over Q&W, that would be awesome.

Dear god yes.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I felt like this week's Bloodshot Reborn was especially gorgeous.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm down for Divinity: Red Son.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
For all the love we have here, I feel kinda bad saying this, but... I'm super disappointed in the backgrounds for Imperium. They appear to be just filtered pictures. Not even, like, traced, they seem to have just been made grainy and lazily drawn on top of.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
One of the panels in particular, the late one where Harada looks back at Mech Major, just looked really... gross. Sloppy. It lacked the poignancy that would've been necessary for that moment.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Is that a Rafer Roberts one in center? Neato.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
This is going to be all kinds of fun.

Also it's slightly bothering me that there seem to be box outlines around some of the logo stuff. It's not as bad as when the Okami rerelease clearly had the IGN watermark though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Huh, neat Image reference in Faith.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Can't believe Ultron is coming

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

X-O posted:

YESSSSS! Fred Van Lente is going to be writing Armstrong, Ivar, and Gilad again!

It's only a one shot, but I hope for more if it proves popular.

Oh my dude I am mighty down for this.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Aw, poo poo yes.

The page showing titles coming in the next month did feel a bit empty though, and the break isn't helping that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hey, long shot, but did anyone else's copy of Harbinger Wars 2 #2 have an extraneous line on the page opposite the Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe ad?