Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Punk Mambo is indeed my least favorite character in all of Valiant. She's just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just caught up on this week's books. Bloodshot Reborn set up an interesting new status quo. I wonder if there's a significant time skip going into Bloodshot Salvation. Not sure if the child on the cover is intended to be Ray and Magic's kid or not. I also wouldn't mind Kay getting her own book either. X-O Manowar was fantastic. As expected from Matt Kindt. Raises so many questions about how and how long ago Aric left Earth and what is this new animosity toward the armor all about? Can't wait to find out. And man was that art gorgeous or what?

And of course Valiant High was once again amazing. High School Ninjak is just the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm bummed that Harbinger Renegade is taking the Rai scheduling of doing an arc then breaking for a few months. I was really digging the story with Solomon and having the team back together and now I still gotta wait until July for the Massacre storyline. At least the long wait is being rewarded with the return of H.A.R.D. Corps. The promo art shows Imperium back as well so that's another plus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read it yet, later tonight, but I'm sure it delivers. Once again another Valiant event book has introduced a character I want to see more of. We've had Shadowman 4001, War Mother, and now Pioneer. I'm sad that these characters seem like they'll be one offs. But I hope they're not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately they seem be cutting down on a number of things, including ongoing books. Right now we have Faith, Harbinger Renegade, Ninjak, and the just launched X-O. That's pretty anemic even for Valiant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

So is Shadowman really the worst of the new Valiant books? I liked the original (from the 90s) ok, but I haven't gotten around to reading the new one yet.

Yes. It's the only one I would say is not really good at bare minimum. It's not terrible, it's just aggressively mediocre. The arc that Matt Kindt wrote in Ninjak with him is really good though. And there's an event later this year that he's returning in. Kindt is writing that too and seems to have a good handle on the character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to make Shadowman compelling. You give him Dr. Strange style stories where he has to deal with weird poo poo in Deadside instead of making him fight normal villains.

Hire me, Valiant, I can do it!

But that's what they did. It wasn't that great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well drat. Now Faith is ending too. So uh, hopefully they get some more ongoings going soon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Three new ongoings and two new limted series announced. Ninjak is done after the current arc as well.

NINJA-K #1
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE Art by TOMAS GIORELLO Cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE

A NEW CAN’T-MISS ONGOING SERIES! From acclaimed writer Christos Gage (Netflix’s Daredevil) and superstar artist Tomas Giorello (X-O MANOWAR), the United Kingdom’s most dreaded intelligence operative delves into the cold, calculating world of espionage and international intrigue! For nearly a century, MI-6, the most elite branch of Britain’s clandestine intelligence service, has honed a ruthlessly effective, top-secret division – THE NINJA PROGRAMME – into one of its nation’s most finely wielded weapons. Tasked as the first and last line of defense for queen and country, this small shadow army of agents and assassins has produced a succession of notable assets, including NINJA-A, the Queen’s silent weapon of World War I; NINJA-E, the globetrotting secret agent that pulled the Cold War back from the brink of armageddon; and, most recently, NINJA-K, aka Colin King, a brash but fearless instrument of lethality that has saved the world from madmen and terror at every turn. But now…an unknown enemy is hunting and killing members of THE NINJA PROGRAMME one by one – and NINJAK is next on the list. ONGOING SERIES | BEGINNING NOVEMBER 2017

ETERNITY #1
Written by MATT KINDT Art & Cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE

A VISIONARY NEW SERIES! From the minds of New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt and blockbuster artist Trevor Hairsine comes an expedition into the Unknown. Beyond time… Beyond space… Beyond reality itself… ETERNITY awaits! This October, Valiant unveils a new plane of existence beyond our own and unleashes a universe of new worlds, new beings, and new myths… LIMITED SERIES | BEGINNING OCTOBER 2017

BLOODSHOT SALVATION #1
Written by JEFF LEMIRE Art by LEWIS LAROSA & MICO SUAYAN Cover by RYAN BODENHEIM

A BLOCKBUSTER NEW ONGOING SERIES! From New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (BLOODSHOT REBORN, Moon Knight) and extraordinary artists Lewis LaRosa (BLOODSHOT REBORN) & Mico Suayan (BLOODSHOT REBORN), a bloody and vengeful new era for Bloodshot begins this September as Ray Garrison escapes his violent past to build the one thing he never thought he’d earn: a family. But when a hateful secret from his true love’s past threatens their fragile peace, Bloodshot will be forced to run headlong into a barrage of blood, bullets, and broken bones for a revenge-fueled assault that will have crushing consequences for those he holds most dear… Now: In the arms of his beloved girlfriend Magic, Bloodshot has finally found hope for the future…in the form of the couple’s unborn child. But when Magic’s estranged family – a cruel and sadistic clan of homegrown criminals – re-emerge to lay claim to their lost daughter, Bloodshot will be pushed back to the brink of madness, mayhem, and warfare… Soon: Eight years from today, Bloodshot’s daughter has inherited her father’s incredible abilities. Hunted by a high-tech kill squad called Omen, Jessie must hone her powers…and learn how to survive before the world is swallowed whole by the darkness that now pervades America… ONGOING SERIES | BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 2017

QUANTUM AND WOODY! (2017) #1
Written by DANIEL KIBBLESMITH Art by KANO Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

THE WORLD’S WORST SUPERHERO TEAM RETURNS IN AN EXPLOSIVE NEW ONGOING SERIES! This December, four-time-offending writer Daniel Kibblesmith (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert) and taser-proof artist Kano (Daredevil) give the Valiant Universe the adjective-worthy superheroes it deserves: QUANTUM AND WOODY! Sometimes…you embrace your destiny. And sometimes…you and your trouble-making adopted brother find yourselves trapped in a scientific lab explosion that grants you $@&%ing awesome super-powers. As a result of their accident, Eric and Woody Henderson – aka Quantum and Woody – must “klang” their wristbands together every 24 hours or both dissipate into nothingness. Which makes superhero-ing pretty awkward when you’re not on speaking terms at the moment. See, Eric has been keeping a pretty big secret: He knows who Woody’s birth father really is…and where he’s been hiding all these years. With great power comes great sibling rivalry! This winter, you’ll believe two men and one goat can split a one-bedroom apartment and still be a credible threat to evil and injustice everywhere when QUANTUM AND WOODY make headlines and take names!
ONGOING SERIES | BEGINNING DECEMBER 2017

FAITH AND THE FUTURE FORCE #1
Written by JODY HOUSER Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and BARRY KITSON Cover by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

A SPECTACULAR SUMMER EVENT! Every second counts when acclaimed writer Jody Houser (Mother Panic, Star Wars: Rogue One), explosive artist Stephen Segovia (NINJAK, Action Comics), comics legend Barry Kitson (Fantastic Four), and special surprise guests push Faith into a centuries-spanning fight for existence alongside the greatest heroes of the Valiant Universe…past, present, and future! Faith “Zephyr” Herbert – former member of Unity, current Harbinger Renegade, and Los Angeles’ #1 superhero – is the universe’s last, best chance at survival! Centuries from today, a devious artificial intelligence has unleashed a blistering attack on the very foundations of time…one that is unwriting history from beginning to end! Now, with her options exhausted, Neela Sethi, Timewalker – the self-appointed protector of what is and will be – has returned to the 21st century to recruit Earth’s greatest champions of today and tomorrow to oppose this existential threat…and she needs Faith to lead them! But why Faith? And why now? This July, fly to the farthest edges of the future in a death-defying race to save time itself, as Faith leads the charge alongside Valiant’s greatest heroes…and becomes a new legend for the ages! LIMITED SERIES | BEGINNING JULY 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm excited to see Christos Gage come to Valiant. Also happy that Kibblesmith got the new Quantum and Woody book as he's been great on Valiant High. His sense of humor should fit in fine there. I'm most happy seeing Neela back in Faith and The Future Force though. I've been waiting for someone to use Neela again.

Also this promo art looks great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also I have yet to watch it since I was at work but the Valiant Summit was streamed live on Youtube if you want to catch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_PERxqovE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Z0AES3kvw

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 18, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So am I crazy or is the new Britannia not on Comixology? I see the pre-order pages for issues 2 and 3 but the page for 1 goes nowhere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greekonomics posted:

For some reason they have it under the first Britannia series (along with the same cover as the original first issue)

Oh man, thanks so much.

I was going here: https://www.comixology.com/Britannia-We-Who/comics-series/89917

An couple hours ago they had a #1 up but it sent you to an error page and then not long after that it disappeared so I had no idea what was going on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

You ain't lying! Every gag is spot on, including the great Mirage moment.

The good news is that the same writer is going to be on Quantum and Woody later this year. So at least he's sticking around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh my God. The art in Rapture. It's amazing. And between this and his Deadside arc on Ninjak Matt Kindt is doing some really loving awesome world building with the Deadside. So much better than what we got in those early Shadowman books.

I keep dreading for when something by Valiant lets me down, and other than that early Shadowman it never ever happens.

I really hope Kindt is doing the Shadowman series that starts next year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

King of Valiant Matt Kindt and Oscar Nominee Eric Heisserer are co-writing Harbinger Wars 2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haven't read today's Rai yet, but I'm itching to get to it. I updated the OP and the second post with the upcoming titles and noticed that the August comic has been announced finally. Not sure how I either missed or forgot about it but Fred Van Lente is doing a War Mother mini series. So I'm all over that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hoooooly poo poo. I never expected this kind of stuff from Valiant but I am so on board.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/07/exclusive-valiant-comics-preview-matt-kindt-eternity.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Wrap is reporting that The Russo Brothers are looking at Joel McHale to play Woody in the Quantum and Woody show. Which is just about as perfect casting as you can get.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing Valiant you want to avoid is Shadowman stuff before Matt Kindt got his hands on him in the Ninjak series and into Rapture where he's completely rehabbed the character now. Not that the other stuff is some bad comic to be avoided forever or anything, but it's just easily the worst of Valiant and kinda just doesn't really fit. Matt Kindt has made Shadowman and the Deadside actually feel like a part of the Valiant universe. The first volume of Shadowman it felt like it had no connection to anything else at all and not in a good self contained way, in a "this doesn't quite fit with this universe" way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, Comixology is the best way to get caught up for sure. All of the early volumes are on Unlimited. I've been buying the singles on Comixology since well before Unlimited was a thing though and then I also buy the physical trades eventually. I buy pretty much everything and now own everything they've printed except for the Legend of the Geomancer series because I'm not going to track down four floppies and they refuse to release it in a trade or digitally which sucks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

How does everyone feel about Divinity and Divinity II (haven't bought 3 yet)? I liked it for being a high concept sci-fi story and was an interesting character examination (vol 1) and an interesting "god vs god" story (vol 2). But, I can easily see this series being a dud with the general comic audience. That isn't me trying to sound pretentious, by the way. I'm not saying or trying to imply I'm better for liking it. I'm just saying it's way outside the traditional superhero/supervillain story and reads more like an experimental 70s scifi novel. If Unity didn't show up and it was just a strike team, it would be easy to forget the universe it was in was a superhero one.

Anyway, how did everyone else feel? I heard Divinity III is an Age-of-Apocalypse style story so I'm definitly picking it up, but are the tie-in Alt-U books worth picking up too?

Personally I think Divinity, both in concept and in execution, is the high watermark of Valiant. There are other stories I enjoy more (The Armor Hunters event is my favorite thing in the Valiant line period) but Divinity is no doubt the best thing they've produced. The first mini especially is just written in such a cool way that it's hard for anything to top it.

Also to save further question: Everything is worth picking up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

I just read Eternal Warrior Vol 1 and...I'm confused. Does it ever get explained how Gilad goes back to being a devote warrior of the Earth? I mean, this doesn't jell at all with his depiction in Archer and Armstrong. Worse, I'm just confused how he killed the Earth Goddess when she shows up in Archer and Armstrong, which takes placer after the fact. Like, every book felt like I was learning more and more on this big shared world...before this one completely threw me for a loop.

Gilad's service to Earth is a strained relationship at times. More and more it becomes apparent that he serves the Geomancer moreso than the Earth itself as he often tires of his service to Earth. You'll also eventually see how his neverending service is temporarily rewarded with brief times of peace in the afterlife before he's yanked back but that's later on down the line. Definitely continue on to the next volume that's set 2000 years later. Eternal Emperor is one of my favorite arcs in all of the Valiant books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

The biggest issue I have with Valiant as a company is that they continue to employ Doug Braithwaite.

His work on the last three issues of X-O was fantastic. Sorry your grudge is weird because he's really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Martinpale posted:

"Ok...LET'S NOT KILL HITLER!!' is still the first thing that pops into my head when I think about that Ivar series. What a great comic.

I love the first issue of Faith and the Future Force when Neela comes back to recruit her.

Neela: Have you heard of Adolph Hitler?
Faith: No, should I have?
Neela: Unfortunately, yes.

I have no idea if that's a reference to that, but I have to think it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah that's like a year old or more. It's just a short Youtube web series, not a movie. Looks great for what it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazon's show of the same name has no connection to Valiant or the comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/957817150483386370

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, as much as the news of the last few days in da bummed me out, the last issue of Eternity really made me forget all that. What a beautiful goddamn series that was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First bad sign for the new regime. Eric Heisserer is apparently done with Valiant. He was supposed to be co-writing Harbinger Wars 2 with Matt Kindt but now it's all Kindt.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Whoa poo poo, and this is right after Valiant sent out promo material about the HW2 creative team...

...shouldn't this event have started production already? Or is Giorello a god?

The stuff Heisserer and Allen did is all being put into one prelude issue. Kindt and Giorello are doing all of the full series instead of just half of each issue. Each issue was supposed to be 44 pages with 22 by each team originally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dysart writing Harada? Instantly sold.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only OSHC I never was able to track down was Rai. I have all the others I wanted (everything but the two Shadowman volumes)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if this is considered insider trading or not but a source tells me that the stocks will take a turn for the better if they put the Rai Deluxe Hardcover back into print. Investors see the $200-300 aftermarket for that book as a detriment to the company. Just sayin'.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

:agreed:

Shadowman book 1 too, please.

You can at least get Shadowman v1 pretty easily under a hundred bucks. Rai, if you can find it on ebay, regularly goes for 200-300 as far as I've seen.

I'm just thankful I jumped on the Divinity Deluxe Trilogy because that one is hard to find too.

Space Fish posted:

Imperium OSHC futures are skyrocketing

Gimme now. Also Unity v2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thank Baby Jesus. I still need Rai though...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ahhh! War-Monger is getting a series! I don't know who Tini Howard is but this preview looks great! I've been wanting to see more War-Monger since Unity ended.

https://twitter.com/ValiantComics/status/1070726338007523328

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valiant 2019 plans. If you can parse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

And a new X-O Manowar series by Dennis Hopeless and Emilio Laiso.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/valiant-new-x-o-manowar-creative-team/

Dennis Hopeless is a great pick for X-O. I loved his work on Nova and World Reader. I'm lukewarm on Emilio Laiso. His past work is pretty good, but he's definitely a step down from the absolute dream team of Tomás Giorello and Diego Rodriguez.

Nova and World Reader was Jeff Loveness . I like Hopeless a lot though. He just finished up a little Cloak and Dagger digital exclusive series that was real good and his runs on Spider-Woman, All New X-Men, and Jean Grey were real good too..