Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

How is 4001 AD as a jumping in point? I picked up Valiant's FCBD book and it was really appealing, but I know nothing of Valiant other than that I picked up the first Divinity trade at the library on a whim and thought it was terrific. But I also thought it was meant to be self contained, so I didn't really know where to go from there, and looking around to see where you could start, it seems like the Valiant universe in general is pretty interconnected and self referential so I wasn't sure where to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

Probably not a good jumping on point for the Valiant Universe as a whole, because it doesn't really have much to do with most of the Valiant books outside of Rai. But as a self contained event to a newcomer I guess it would be fine. But again it doesn't tie into most of the Valiant books because they're set in current day.
OK, makes sense. I'm used to publishers using the FCBD books as jumping in points for new readers, but I guess not all of them do. If I dig 4001 AD I can circle back around and try to figure out a better place to start with the rest of the line.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm just getting started reading Valiant so you could count on at least one receptive audience member for such a podcast.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've been slowly getting more and more into Valiant, so I decided to jump into Eternal Warrior with this issue (and can I just say I love the way Valiant puts "NEW ARC" right in their solicited titles so there's no question of when I can try out a series), and it was an immediate subscription. Seems like I think that about every Valiant book I try out though.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

From the Bleeding Cool story announcing that Harbinger Wars 2 event:

quote:

However, the first four issues of the Harbinger Renegade series will also be directly tied to the events of the publisher’s upcoming event with Harbinger Wars 2 #0. In a direct homage to the original Jim Shooter and David Lapham’s original Harbinger #0, the book can only be obtained by redeeming four coupons included in the opening arc of Harbinger Renegade and mailing them away to Valiant directly.

Valiant :allears:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I see it was talked about above but I just found out Generation Zero was cancelled at issue #9. That's sad, I really liked that book and I was looking forward to having two cool Harbinger-focused ongoings coming out for a while. Plus I'm not used to Valiant yanking the carpet out from under a series before it even hits double digits.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I saved Divinity III until all 8 issues were released and just sat down and read through the whole thing. It was so worth waiting. What a fantastic series. I really hope they end up collecting all 16 of the Divinity issues in one of their deluxe hardcovers, because reading through the entire run at once would be a great experience.

And now, on to X-O #1.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

Unfortunately they seem be cutting down on a number of things, including ongoing books. Right now we have Faith, Harbinger Renegade, Ninjak, and the just launched X-O. That's pretty anemic even for Valiant.
And they just solicited Faith #12 as the final issue. But Rai and Secret Weapons launch in the same month. On the other hand, no Renegade or Bloodshot for several more months either.

I'm not surprised to hear they said they're slowing down on the OSHCs, because I had X-O deluxe vol 4 and the 4001 AD HCs pulled and both missed their ship dates and are currently listed as shipping in June on Previews. It's a bummer though because those HCs are how I've been catching up on Valiant since I only started reading them a couple years ago.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Where the heck is volume 2 of the Ninjak OSHC? I've been catching up on Valiant through those and as far as I know that's the last one still to be printed.

Also, I agree with Rhyno that the Valiant OSHCs are generally great. The early Bloodshot, Harbinger (with Harbinger Wars), and X-O (with Armor Hunters) stuff was so great, plus Rai+4001 AD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Well, I at least am interested in this new Rai book because I've wanted another Rai ongoing ever since the Rai/4001 AD stuff a few years ago which I thought was terrific.