Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.newsarama.com/26468-valiant-to-arm-retailers-with-axes-no-really.html

quote:

Valiant Entertainment has announced that it will giving custom-engraved full-size battle axes to select retailers for the debut of its new series Wrath of the Eternal Warrior on November 18. The axes will be given away to retailers participating in a promotional program for the book, but non-participants can request an axe of their own by contacting Valiant.

"Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 is already on track to become one of Valiant's single biggest releases of the year, and we want to give our retail partners a razor-sharp token of appreciation for making 2015 Valiant Entertainment's most successful year yet," said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. "Whether you're a dedicated fan or a 7,000-year-old immortal soldier, these distinctive comic collectibles will be the ultimate accent to your local comic shop, bar none."

The axes are replicas of the one used by the Eternal Warrior in comic books, and measures approximately 27 inches tall. Each one will be engraved with the Wrath of the Eternal Warrior logo.

No plans have been announced for interested readers to obtain one themselves.

Better get tight with your local shop as they are not available to fans so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Rhyno I'd just like to say you are posting extremely handsomely today, and always.

:D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Could I realistically lethally injure myself with one of those? Because if not, I don't want 'em.

From what we've been told it's metal so...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those axes aren't the only sharp things Valiant is sending out

We got these nifty box cutters this week!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Oh man, Imperium was so drat good this week. It's the kind of comic that really reminds my why I love reading comics. Fleshing out the history of the universe and doing world building that shows the connective tissue between the Valiant titles. This is the stuff that makes comics so much fun. Josh Dysart is goddamn amazing and seemingly can do no wrong.

He's come a long way, I was never a fan of his work 10+ years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shitshow posted:

The Bloodshot storyline "The Analog Man", which begins in January, is getting a Director's Cut that is only the pencils and lettering. Great decision on Valiant's part.

Isn't Guice drawing that arc?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo. I love Valiant so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I scored a copy of the Divinity HC for $5 this week and god drat is that a mind boggling book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Faith #1 is good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Faith #1 was so hyped that #1 sold out before it even shipped, the second printing shipped with the first print and also sold out d third printing is already on the way.

Go buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Valiant's statement says it has the same print run as Wrath of the Eternal Warrior and Ninjak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neat!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Deathmate event will be comprised of a series of variant covers where the Valiant heroes are all flipping the bird at Rob Liefeld.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Valiant continues to give away the best promotional poo poo

Divinity 2 pen, Faith Sharpie, A&A coaster post-its and bottle opener.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barristicide posted:

I... might have bought all these in the last month or so. You think your wallet is safe when you vow to only buy really good comics. Then you start reading Valiant.

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to buy the Unity and second A&A books.

I really want to start getting those classic Valiant books but I have little attachment to those versions anymore. I really want them to start collecting the Acclaim comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's because some people won't bother to buy the AH HC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LordPants posted:

Can you get the essentials just from reading X-O Vol. 3?

I dunno, I bought Armor Hunters. Is Vol.3 even out yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Most likely, and you can get the trades to fill in the Harbinger and Bloodshot parts which are more or less stand alone.

But Armor Hunters is already out, and 100% of the third XO hardcover is in the Armor Hunters hardcover. So instead of making people confused, why not just make them pay the extra ~$10 or so for the Armor Hunters HC and pick up XO at 30? At this point, people are either going to buy 1,2 and 3, skipping AH, or 1,2,AH skipping 3. Or buy everything and feel ripped off because they bought the same comics twice. Dumb.

Well clearly AH should have been titled "X-O Manowar Vol.3: Armor Hunters" but somebody at Valiant decided they could make money off the people who don't care about the crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

If the Book of Death Deluxe doesn't contain the Geomancer issues I'm going to cut someone. I'm not paying for floppies.

quote:

Collecting BOOK OF DEATH #1-4, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF BLOODSHOT #1, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF NINJAK #1, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF HARBINGER #1, and BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1 now in a deluxe oversized hardcover format!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I hold you personally responsible since you gave me false hope in the last thread.

It sounds like those issues are getting their own super limited HC. If I can get one you get first dibs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It sounds like it's gonna be a one per store kind of thing. I will ask Adam when I see him on Saturday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rusty Kettle posted:

What is your source on this?

I am friends with a few people that work at Valiant who like to hint at stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would they make a collection that limited a run. It's loving dumb.

Are you unaware of how rare the singles were? It was an incentive to get your shop to order more copies of the main series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually was not, but still that gimmick has run its course.

This was a unique book, not just a cover. Kind of ballsy for a small company to pull a stunt like that. The initial claim was they would never reprint them. The current teased rumor is they will do a HC but it would be a one per store deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got some one on one time with Dinesh and Adam today. When i pressed Adam about the HC edition he firmly said "I'm not allowed to talk about that" and winked. Dinesh smiled and said "He's not allowed to talk about that."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So some of the other stuff I talked to the V-guys was about creators. DC went after the Valiant artists and writers hard according to Adam. They made Clayton Crain an to come to DC and do a book of his choice but since he's so invested in what they're doing he declined. They tried to steal David Lafuente away before his first A&A even hit and it's a similar story pretty much everywhere. Venditti was offered exclusivity and turned it down. Basically DC tried to lock in everyone doing Valiant work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

DC made smart choices there, glad to see these guys like what they've built at Valiant though. Any word on what Van Lente is doing next? Dinesh said a while back he'd already handed in scripts for his next book but there's been no announcement yet.

Dinesh told us at the booth that Q&W is coming back this year, it might be that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rusty Kettle posted:

My goodness. If Fred takes over Q&W, that would be awesome.

It's what I want so much!

Did they officially announce the Faith ongoing anywhere? I kind of missed the panel news.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Nope, not that I saw. But it's not surprising. I did see that they're finally get her and Archer together in A&A though.

Oh well Dinesh told me the Faith ongoing is a done deal.

I wonder how long until that shows up ob Bleeding Cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Adam said they are indeed relaunching with a new #1. Probably just called "XO."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm pretty bummed about XO. It's the comic that got me into Valiant and I don't want it to stop at 50.

I was told to my face by the CEO and head of their marketing that the book is relaunching later in the year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

what would be the team? Faith, livewire, and torque?

I'm sure they can dredge up some new renegades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy crap, I thought they were bullshitting me about PsiLords.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dinesh is such a great guy, he spent lot of time talking to me one on one at C2E2 and was just so happy to hear how much I loved Quantum & Woody.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

graybook posted:

For all the love we have here, I feel kinda bad saying this, but... I'm super disappointed in the backgrounds for Imperium. They appear to be just filtered pictures. Not even, like, traced, they seem to have just been made grainy and lazily drawn on top of.

Is Doug Braithwaite drawing it? That's some of the weakass poo poo he pulls and I hate it. If there's a single weak link in Valiant right now it's him. He's one of the worst artists currently working in the industry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

No, his Valiant stuff usually looks really good.

I fiercely disagree. I own every OSHC they have released and the rest of the line in softcovers and every time I see his pencils it makes me sick. He's been ruining comics I want to read for 20 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

How is 4001 AD as a jumping in point? I picked up Valiant's FCBD book and it was really appealing, but I know nothing of Valiant other than that I picked up the first Divinity trade at the library on a whim and thought it was terrific. But I also thought it was meant to be self contained, so I didn't really know where to go from there, and looking around to see where you could start, it seems like the Valiant universe in general is pretty interconnected and self referential so I wasn't sure where to begin.

If 4001 AD interests you I'd suggest grabbing the preceding issues of Rai, that would be mostly enough to get caught up on the future line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Diamond shorted me all our copies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well, if you didn't get to read it and want to know It seems as if Deathmate is actually Kay McHenry, the former Geomancer.

YES. :fistpump:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Faith was exceptional this week.