Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

2 questions:

Harada is an old man but appears young. Is that a physical thing he's doing to himself or is he just altering people's perceptions so that they see him as young? I know that he looks old as gently caress when he has to do his 2 week sleep.

I'm only in the 3rd trade so it may come up later but, what does XO stand for?

I think Harada projects a shell in the same way Torque does. He still appears young on film so it is probably not telepathy. Dude is what in his 70s now. Or older, I can't remember how old he was at Hiroshima. Omega level psiots appear to get some gnarly regenerative abilities if Peter healing from being a husk is any indication but it may not extend to longevity. Or Peter's abilities are different. Which makes Harada's little regime kind of doomed since it would not survive his death.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Imperium is so loving sick.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'd give Harbringer another try. It continually improves leading to Imperium right now which is loving awesome

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shitshow posted:

While I generally have been enjoying Imperium, a problem I have with the series is that it lacks any meaningful connection to the Valiant universe at large. Harada has literally taken over Somalia and is re-writing contemporary geopolitics, and nobody else from the Valiant universe seems to have noticed.

yeah i agree with this. imperium is great overall and is quite tight with some cool moments.

i'm probably underselling that: i like imperium more than any other shared universe comic i can remember reading since wildstorm died however it feels weirdly abstracted given how tightly bound valiant has felt to date.

i'm sure peter will be back. he's young and growing up; he went from being an rear end in a top hat to trying to stand up and fight and righting a couple of injustices but not really being able to find his way properly and now he's just convalescing (morally at this point, since he's well and truly physically healed by now). i have been wondering how predictive end of harbinger is meant to be; that shows harada winding up as world ruler (or at least ruler of a major part of the earth) for a long time.. it's also really really good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I just read the first volume of X-O Manowar through Comixology Unlimited, and I have to say I'm really looking forward to reading more from this universe.

Yeah it's good. Toyo Harada is a great setting villain because his goals and motivations are good enough for him to be somewhat sympathetic but his methods are reprehensible enough to be clearly evil. Divinity was also just... Cool. The first series had a lot that put me in mind of the tenor of primary sources from the early USSR.

And all the 'heroes' are actually in an uneasy alliance where frequent brawls feel organic. Aric is actually a bit of a jerk.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Castigate me for being oblivious, but why isn't Dysart on Harbinger Renegades? The dialogue in this sucks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Harbinger Renegade 2 is substantially less poo poo than the first one. Hopefully it just means that the writer is bad at setting the scene and is okay at general plotting and dialogue. I'm interested what will happen. Depictions of the general setting have barely recognised Peter exists, and he doesn't have the ambition or intellect of Harada so I'm curious whether he'll do more than serve as a boss for Harada to run over - which is a funny thing for a villain to do, but that's their relationship so far.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Huh? The last time they met they were complete equals

Peter hasn't really proved victorious in terms of overall goals, however. He's upset Harada's plans and accelerated his timetable, but hasn't ever taken Harada out of a position of power. Or so I think, I'm not sure what's been happening in the universe since the last Imperium issue.

Also Stalinverse #1 was sick.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just read Britannia from last year. Liked it quite a bit, reminded me of the Caligula miniseries. Will be interested to see if and how they integrate the protagonist into the Valiant Universe.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Stalinverse #2 answering the nerd internet battle of whether Ninjak could beat Bloodshot with preparation. The answer is yes God I love Valiant. It's so consistently good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I haven't read DIII yet but DII is way better than Divinity imo.

One thing I like about the Valiant universe is that they don't make up countries and leaders. Harada doesn't set up his enclave in Fakeistan, he sets it up in Somalia. Armor Hunters don't destroy a fake city, they destroy Mexico City. It gives it more impact. You'll see why this statement applies to DII when you read it.

(Also makes me wonder if they'll put Trump in the books at some point)

Once upon a time DC also did this so we got Mr Joker, Iranian ambassador to the UN for Ayatollah Khomeini, right after he had brutally beaten Robin to death with a crowbar. Robin of course was found by the Joker because his mum was in Iran at the time performing illegal abortions and Joker used that to blackmail her.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Hadn't realised I'd missed Renegades 3. Not too bad. Cautiously optimistic the first issue awfulness was just teething problems. Also the X-O preview at the end had some loving trippy and cool visuals.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Britannia doesn't connect with the regular Valiant universe at all and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is siiiiiiick. Read Archer and Armstrong through the first three volumes (actually read it all it's probably the best Valiant series) and you'll be all set for any Anni Padda Bros. books. Which are Ivar Timewalker and anything with Warrior in the title.

I wouldn't be surprised if they connect Britannia up to other Valiant characters, but yeah, there's only one mini-series so far and it has no obvious connections.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

I saved Divinity III until all 8 issues were released and just sat down and read through the whole thing. It was so worth waiting. What a fantastic series. I really hope they end up collecting all 16 of the Divinity issues in one of their deluxe hardcovers, because reading through the entire run at once would be a great experience.

And now, on to X-O #1.

X-O 1 is good. I mean it's a barbarian slave story we've all seen a million times but it's well executed. I really liked the art and colouring.

Regarding Divinity 3 I think my only real knock is how easily Abrams influenced the antagonist. Overall I've been surprised at how much I've liked the Divinity books. As a general rule I really dislike reality warpers because they're usually just cheap plot devices, but they've been done well here.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Rai was pretty meh if you have followed Valiant at all.

yeah it wasn't very good.

Britannia, however, continues to be cool.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
that would be perfect. i think valiant would adapt well to the screen; the world and characters are more modern and tightly bound together than the big two, making it less of a leap. w hether it could ever get off the ground or have success without name recognition of at least the studio i'm sceptical of.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

gently caress

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

*thinks to himself that Street Sharks > Power Rangers*

This checks out.

Where do Extreme Dinosaurs and Biker Mice from Mars fit in here

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i caught up on the harbinger wars 2 prelude and i'm... nonplussed. maybe i haven't been reading as many books as i should to appreciate it, but i have no idea who the psiots livewire is palling around with are. the attack on them carried little weight as a result, and i can't even tell what's happening because i don't know what any of their powers are. it also feels way too much like a rehash of the government/psiot poo poo friction we've already read a ton of in valiant.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i'll check it out. i do wish the imperium storyline hadn't stalled, as there were new things going on there. and harada is of course a great villain - actually of those villains i've been introduced to over the last decade or so of reading comics i think harada and the Maker (at least as Hickman wrote him) must be my favourites.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Harbinger Wars 2 is boring me a bit. I feel like we've already seen this kind of thing played out too many times. A step backwards from what was being done with Imperium.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo, I didn't know Valiant were putting out 'The Life and Death of Toyo Harada', one of comics' best antivillains when well-written (and the current iteration of Valiant has a really outstanding well-written:crap ratio so he usually is) and sadly underappreciated.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just caught up on Life and Death of Toyo Harada. The follow-up to Imperium was a loving long time coming, but it's really goddamned good so far. Dysart knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I forgot this thread exists so was posting about The Life and Death of Toyo Harada in the indie thread. Baller series. Happy with how it ended, managing to change the status quo without making the setting totally unrecognisable or killing Harada. I hope Dysart goes and does something with Peter now to develop him a bit further.

I'm finally going back to read the Eternal Warrior comics (good ultra-violence, although maybe not great substance) and the X-O Manowar series. The latter is such a consistently high quality epic. The art reminds me a lot of the manual from the first Tribes game, funnily - both are obviously heavily inspired by pulp, obviously.