Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Put that skull snake in a top hat on the cover of the new Shadowman book, that'll boost sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Could I realistically lethally injure myself with one of those? Because if not, I don't want 'em.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, a common problem with superhero comics, for example, is that the characters have the first half of the hero's journey in like, a single origin issue, then never really progress past that halfway point for the decades to come.

Like imagine if Star Wars had Luke grow in the first movie and then remain the same for 30 more years of movies, never actually progressing to become a true jedi.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Archer and Armstrong feels like Incredible Hercules and I forgot how much I missed that book. Thank you DC for a new reboot as I can spend more money on this company.

You can always count on DC to give readers great jumping off points.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Hmm, lots of teases it seems.

Those guys are hosed once Obelix shows up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's not what the X-O video game looked like. :mad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm getting flashbacks to 2002 in the worst possible way.

Still, it'd have been neat to include this monstrosity in there:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When's the Acclaim version of Shadowman coming back?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxsNnUAyfd4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Shadowman I know doesn't whine, he very awkwardly third person shoots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If Valiant hires me, a guy who only knows the video game version of Shadowman, I can save the character.

Step 1: Really large sunglasses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

I finally forced myself to finish Shadowman and man... what a frustrating series. It's not even horrible, but goes on this weird journey where it starts out okay and buries itself at any attempt to improve itself.

The first volume is okay for what it is. It's a by-the-numbers origin story in a by-the-numbers occult comic. It has its moments. Then the second volume builds on that and tells a pretty good story with a fun villain and wild card antihero (again, Baron Samedi would have made for a far more interesting protagonist). It's just that the story is off for being the cumulative climax despite being the second arc. The Shadowman vs. Darque war is over before it can begin.

Makes it odd that the next volume has Darque's origin when he's not much of a factor anymore. The rest of the volume is made up of throwaway stories that I barely even remember.

So then Milligan takes over and tries to make Shadowman compelling. The best he can come up with is the "my dark power is alive and it controls me what do I do" trope and considering my avatar, it says something when even I was rolling my eyes. The minor stuff we got to see about the Loa itself and its rivalry with the other Loas was cool poo poo and it got thrown right into the background so we could get some more from Jack and his boring supporting cast. Being whiny is one thing, but being whiny while the entire city is being torn to pieces by a demonic spirit is just stupid.

"I could go save everyone from this horrific presence feasting on the fear of everything, but that's what the Loa wants me to do and I don't know... I'm going to go demand forgiveness from a guy I hospitalized instead."

Then we get the final volume, End Times and holy poo poo. I know comic books muck up continuity and create retcons all the time, but don't write a story about Jack's father faking his own death when they already had a loving scene about Jack talking to his tired ghost IN THE FIRST STORY! Like, that was the best scene in the first volume and now it's swept under the rug so that Jack and his dad can whine about how much being Shadowman sucks and how everything in this book sucks and why are you even reading this.

Valiant does a great job of giving us flawed heroes and understandable villains to the point that one of their top heroes is a rapist who robs people to feed his drug addiction, but Jack is such a wiener. For the first half of the run, he's bland, but then he becomes completely unlikable and not in a way that I feel interested in reading about.

So what you're saying is,

#GiveGavinJasperShadowman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok then I can write Shadowman, and whoever gets fired first wins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If they get Shadowman right, let me know, because I will get into Valiant so fast and so hard it'll make your head spin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It shouldn't be too hard to make Shadowman compelling. You give him Dr. Strange style stories where he has to deal with weird poo poo in Deadside instead of making him fight normal villains.

Hire me, Valiant, I can do it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

But that's what they did. It wasn't that great.

Darn.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That Ninjak cover looks almost exactly like a 90s cover. It just needs less subdued colors and for the metal part of his arm and his sword to be foil.

Oh and some pointy letters to be yelling about how it's a CAN'T MISS ISSUE THAT CHANGES NINJAK FOREVER!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Few actors have a terrifying stare like Diesel. And he does quite rage better than so many others, he's the ideal Bloodshot in my opinion.

Isn't Bloodshot at least a bit snarky? Diesel doesn't do snark very well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What in the?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

*thinks to himself that Street Sharks > Power Rangers*

This checks out.

Street Sharks tried to throw shade at TMNT in their pilot. They have no honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know I've brought this up before but am I the only one who doesn't care for Doug Braithwaite's are at all?

It's fine until it gets colored.