Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

2 questions:

Harada is an old man but appears young. Is that a physical thing he's doing to himself or is he just altering people's perceptions so that they see him as young? I know that he looks old as gently caress when he has to do his 2 week sleep.

I'm only in the 3rd trade so it may come up later but, what does XO stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Neurosis posted:

I think Harada projects a shell in the same way Torque does.

Yeah that makes perfect sense.

X-O posted:

X-O stands for Executive Officer. Which is explained later.

OK, I was just confused when one of the Vine generals was like "READY YOUR XO CORPS" and it reminded me that I didn't know what it stood for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sega 32X posted:

Is there a good app for reading books from this on the iPad, or is that a question for another thread?

I use Chunky comics reader.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

:stare:

Jesus Christ. Fall of Harbinger is probably the best issue of a comic the new Valiant has published. gently caress was that good. GET THIS ISSUE!

If you haven't read Book of Death, first what's wrong with you?, it doesn't matter. If you read the 25 issue Harbinger series and Omegas you owe it to yourself to read this book. And if you read Imperium you'll smile at the nods to Sunset on Snow.

I've read all those books but not any of the other Books of Death, as I haven't read most of the new Valiant stuff. Is it self contained or am I gonna be lost?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Harbinger Book of Death owned. Is the Book of Death event just "Six Feet Under finale but for all our comics"?

One thing I really like about Valiant books is that they do scifi concepts very well. I'm not talking about dudes in space stuff, Marvel and DC cosmic stuff isn't really scifi. But stuff like the time shenanigans in Ivar or transcendent non-corporeal minds or Major Mech/SoS AI identity struggle are all ideas that have strong legacies in scifi literature going back decades, while offering fresh takes on them. Van Lente's framework for time travel in Ivar is one of the most interesting stories about the idea I've ever read.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

io9 has an interview with Lemire about his upcoming Bloodshot run. I don't know if the premise has been revealed before, but it's the first I've heard of it and it sound badass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I knew something with Bloodshot and the future was coming up, but holy poo poo that art is amazing. Also I heard from the Baltimore panel that Lemire has already written 25 issues of Bloodshot completely and the art is complete on 16 or 17 of those issues. They're working super far ahead it seems.

Awesome.

My biggest gripe with Valiant is that they don't have the same overall quality of artist that you see at the Big Two or Image. They have a few standouts but a lot of the art is no better than serviceable. Also that's not how people's mouths are Khari Evans! But those pencils in that article look amazing. (I will note that the pencils I see in the back of Valiant issues as "digital exclusives" often look a lot better before the inker or colorist gets their hands on it)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i09 continuing to do the lord's work in Valiant evangelism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Holy poo poo Toyo Harada.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what's Van Lente gonna be doing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dinosaur Roman Empire is the reason humanity invented comic books as a medium.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno I'd just like to say you are posting extremely handsomely today, and always.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Ivar, Timewalker was probably my favorite series in 2015. At half price it's a no-brainer.

Ivar you can probably get away with not reading Archer and Armstrong, but I think you'd definitely have to read Harbinger to follow Imperium.

Not that having to read Harbinger or A&A should be a deal breaker.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am looking to get into Valiant and only have the miniseries Valiant and Bloodshot reborn. What are the titles that need to be read?

https://www.reddit.com/r/valiant/wiki/readingorder

That's what I've been using. All the titles are great, though I've not read Shadowman and a lot of people don't like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Is anyone else looking forward to the Faith book? I really like the character and I hope the book is good.

How's your Valiant adventure going so far?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Looking at ways to decrease my DC and Marvel books to add Valiant.

Yeah, that'll happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Fred Van Lente is a hell of a writer.

His plotting and storytelling in Ivar is incredible. I love A&A but Ivar, Timewalker is like another level of great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am looking to get into Valiant and only have the miniseries Valiant and Bloodshot reborn. What are the titles that need to be read?

It's been really fun watching bobkatt go from here to the forum's foremost Valiant evangelist in two months. It's a great company and I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a BSS/internet in general following, because they tend to do the opposite of things that I see people complain about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I promised myself the next line-wide sale that came along I was going to get everything I didn't have already and welp

Worth it though, I'm going to reread from the start. COMPLETIONISM!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno about y'all but I get so much more from re-reads, and after finishing act one of this reading order I'm changing my favorite comic from Harbinger to A&A. FVL does some real tight plotting and storytelling, and knowing what's going to happen, even years down the line makes the reread much more rich. Also it has great, funny dialog with out being quippy and it probably has the best art from that first round of books. Also "Nothing is Forever" is a great and layered motto for a nihilist secret society.

The only one of these I hadn't read before is Shadowman and I heard it wasn't great and it is sooooo not great. For some reason I thought Milligan wrote the whole thing instead of the fourth volume and half-way through the first trade I was like "what is up with this terrible dialog" and then I saw it was written by loving Justin Jordan. So, like Luther Strode, the book has great art, action and character design and fan-fiction-tier unnatural atrocious dialog.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is extremely good so far, I just finished #5 & #6 and am compelled to make a post about it. I love that this book has answered a long time question in a way that completely re-contextualizes Gilad (in a super depressing way as well!)

Gilad Anni-Padda isn't my number one favorite Valiant character (that's Archer) but he's probably their best character.

Also Dead Drop is indeed really bad in terms of characterization and plot. Great art though.

I think my initial bias vs. Valiant artists is actually just an anti-Khari Evans bias. I will say though I was a huge fan of his work on X-Force, I didn't love Crain on Rai. I love super clean art with flat colors (Paolo Rivera on The Valiant :swoon: )and the art on Rai was too busy for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm reading the Analog Man TPB and is this supposed to be like OML where it's not in continuity or what.

This is continuity nitpicking stuff, but were all the Book of the Dead tie ins supposed to be different universes, or all happening in the post Darque-steals-the-Geomancer-powers universe that was eventually averted? Because they don't really gibe with the apocalyptic future foretold in the BoD main series (which was excellent of course)

Valiant has a lot of contradictory futures, it seems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PRS :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milligan and Ryp are doing another Britannia four issue mini. I really liked the first one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ryp's really good at the sword and sandals stuff, he also drew the first part of Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, the parts where Gilad was chasing after his son in Ur.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think it matters.

I read Must Die first fwiw, but the Delinquents arc is pretty much its own thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

April solicits for Valiant say that Gen Zero #9 is the final issue, did we know it was cancelled yet?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I dream of a world where Marvel and DC give half as much of a drat about hyping their books like Valiant does.

How does Valiant sell at your store?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't read DIII yet but DII is way better than Divinity imo.

One thing I like about the Valiant universe is that they don't make up countries and leaders. Harada doesn't set up his enclave in Fakeistan, he sets it up in Somalia. Armor Hunters don't destroy a fake city, they destroy Mexico City. It gives it more impact. You'll see why this statement applies to DII when you read it.

(Also makes me wonder if they'll put Trump in the books at some point)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I try to be charitable about these sort of things but at best Punk Mambo is a weak Constantine imitation.

Paolo Rivera's art on the Valiant is killer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Britannia doesn't connect with the regular Valiant universe at all and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is siiiiiiick. Read Archer and Armstrong through the first three volumes (actually read it all it's probably the best Valiant series) and you'll be all set for any Anni Padda Bros. books. Which are Ivar Timewalker and anything with Warrior in the title.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like the Deadside stuff and I don't like Ninjak stories where he deals with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Digital trades have selected pencil pages at the end of each issue, if you care. I always get trades because sorting sucks in the app so the less the better imo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marvel doesn't have a non-compete and doesn't care what other movies they do. Now, if Chris Evans was cast as Turok or whatever, well we'd see how true that is, but Feige has said Marvel doesn't care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

algebra testes posted:

That is... actually cool and good for the modern media environment?

It is, but Marvel has the luxury of being the king and in a current can-do-no-wrong phase. Or maybe they recognize that a healthy comic book movie environment where many studios are delivering quality superhero movies benefits them way more than it hurts them. Before Iron Man it was axiomatic that comic book movies sucked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

to be fair, Batman Begins came out in '05

There were exceptions for sure, but before the MCU the vast preponderance of movies based on comics or featuring superheroes were terrible. For example did you know there was a Phantom movie starring Billy Zane?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justin Jordan is the worst.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His work, I don't know about him on twitter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never seen a comic with such a disparity between the quality of the art and the quality of the writing as Luther Strode. I had already read that when I bought the second half of every new Valiant comic book ever in a sale and looked at Shadowman and saw who wrote it and I thought, this is why everyone hates the book. The voodoo monkey in that book is an example of his totally tone-deaf writing and terrible dialog instincts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Harbinger Wars is where Bloodshot gets really good imo, but you have to read Harbinger (you should!) of course.