Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Dirk the Average posted:

Can you describe clunky here? Smooth isn't exactly the adjective I'd use for the combat in UO to begin with. I haven't played the game at all, and if the combat is somehow worse than the original UO, then I'm definitely not interested.

It's significantly less clunky than UO (i personally wouldn't call it clunky at all). Best I can compare it to would be Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale/other AD&D games of that era. If I'm right in what I'm assuming, it's like rolling a dice to detect hit chance etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So I guess custom assets for server owners is becoming a thing meaning the game just got a lot more interesting.

quote:

12:21 PM] Andi: custom assets were impossible for so long, we could never really find anything to do for artists
[12:22 PM] Andi: but even with this partial opening, we can now start to work on that
[12:22 PM] Andi: get some people on board, maybe make our own art team
[12:22 PM] Andi: even if the members just do some stuff from time to time
[12:22 PM] Andi: noone expects anyone to be as committed as gorgan and me
[12:32 PM] Andi: So, if anyone is interested, let me know. I'd invite you to the staff Discord, for NDA reasons, have you sign the NDA, get you approved modder status with CS, so we can hook you up with the loa unity toolkit and their tutorial videos
[12:33 PM] Andi: Don't worry about the formalities, all our staffies went through it, i'll handle it
[12:33 PM] Andi: If you just want to make models, this isn't needed

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
So is anyone playing this now that the head-start has begun and the steam launch is in two days?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'll give it a try when I can make my own server and just me and my friends can run around for a few weeks killing poo poo. Zero interest in their official servers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreaseGunner posted:

So is anyone playing this now that the head-start has begun and the steam launch is in two days?

Yes, just started a character on one of the east coast servers but haven't really done anything yet. Legends of Aria truly is a spiritual sequel to Ultima Online. Everything about it feels and plays like Ultima Online.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Is there a discord or is it mostly just people playing Legends of Ultima?

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
So now that everyone hates LoU are we going to play on a normal Aria server?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

I said come in! posted:

Yes, just started a character on one of the east coast servers but haven't really done anything yet. Legends of Aria truly is a spiritual sequel to Ultima Online. Everything about it feels and plays like Ultima Online.

It's like a single player sequel to Ultima Online

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrosaro posted:

So now that everyone hates LoU are we going to play on a normal Aria server?

No, because the game is trash.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Well that's a bummer, was hoping that this was going to be decent one.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

imagine still having hope a "spiritual successor" to uo would be anything but total dogshit in tyool 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It was actually pretty good. I really enjoyed playing it and the community was getting there. Then we got hit with a triple whammy of broken updates, extended downtime, and butthurt admins.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It was actually pretty good. I really enjoyed playing it and the community was getting there. Then we got hit with a triple whammy of broken updates, extended downtime, and butthurt admins.

Ya it was pretty fun for a while despite garbage everything mechanics and virtually no content, but holy poo poo it went off a cliff fast.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
What happened? I didn't bother buying it or following anything after the open beta thing.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I had been following this game the whole time, waiting for them to actually, you know, finish it and implement things like stealing, and the actual drat world but apparently this flamed out like every other custom UO server

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
so why don't people like the official LoA servers? I'm having a blast on azure sky.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Homo Simpson posted:

so why don't people like the official LoA servers? I'm having a blast on azure sky.

I don't know why most people hate it, but I don't like the lag and rubber banding. I was fighting a bear with my wizard, then it lagged, then I was almost dead fighting two bears, DEAD. The lag happens too often in a permanent item loss game. Maybe they are going for the authentic 14.4k baud modem feel the old UO had.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homo Simpson posted:

Dumb ruleset

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is this in some kind of alpha/beta/early access or has it launched?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

dkj posted:

Is this in some kind of alpha/beta/early access or has it launched?

Early access.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
supposedly its coming to steam early access on the 18th assuming it doesn't get delayed again

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

eonwe posted:

supposedly its coming to steam early access on the 18th assuming it doesn't get delayed again

I will try if it’s free

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

eonwe posted:

Steam now says March 21 lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kak posted:

Steam now says March 21 lol

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Honestly this game sucks and has nothing redeeming about it. Just getting over the new user experience is not worth it as it's so painful and slow.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
LOL: Release date DECEMBER 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 11, 2019

Texibus
May 18, 2008
coming to steam August 6th... had really high hopes for this one. Haven't logged on in like 7 months, maybe it is better now?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Thread creation date: Sep 5, 2015 02:38

:yikes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Texibus posted:

coming to steam August 6th... had really high hopes for this one. Haven't logged on in like 7 months, maybe it is better now?

In the same boat as you. Play Albion instead. The devs for LoA have done almost nothing in that time to improve this poo poo show. It’s another failed crowdfunded project.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

In the same boat as you. Play Albion instead. The devs for LoA have done almost nothing in that time to improve this poo poo show. It’s another failed crowdfunded project.

But in Albion you can't put up stupid crap shack with trash strewn about your lawn for the public to see and carefully rotate/place each piece of trash :(

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I was getting pretty jazzed about the crafting system. Ahh well, maybe I will try Albion again

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Anyone still playing this game? I'm on Azure Sky.

SoUr fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 29, 2019

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

SoUr posted:

Anyone still playing this game? I'm on Azure Sky.

I got this a couple weeks ago and have just been fooling around, but I started on the other US East server. I might just reroll on Azure Sky. PM me your in-game info and I'll friend you when I get on again.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I'm usually on my melee, called Alois. I joined some newbie friendly guild called Skara Brae Trading Company.

The grind here is brutal, and I can't even use my Logitech gamepad to macro, they seem to have blocked it from working somehow.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, this game early accesses tomorrow. What's the goon consensus?

Ohhhh noo the OP was Alexander DeLarge

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 5, 2019

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
The game is in early access now, I think tomorrow is the Steam Launch?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
So I guess this is a real thing now huh. Did they update making a private shard easier or is it still just a reskinned glorified private UO shard?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The silence on this game is deafening both here, their Reddit sub and on steam.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's because the only people playing are the backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
And it is live now, God speed Legends of Aria.