Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The last patch fixed a lot of the lag issues I had also

Its not perfect but there isn't a closer UO experience outside of private UO shards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Eonwe posted:

The last patch fixed a lot of the lag issues I had also

Its not perfect but there isn't a closer UO experience outside of private UO shards

That sounds pretty good. Ill wait for alpha or even beta before sinking cash into it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iminers posted:

That sounds pretty good. Ill wait for alpha or even beta before sinking cash into it.

I think thats a pretty good idea. I like it, but everyone will tell you I have awful taste in games

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
yeah ive got this bookmarked for when they release

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Also keeping an eye on this. My attention span for mmos grows shorter everyday though.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
I heard there was an Eonwe spotting the other night. I was going to buy this game but I am going to wait til I am bored of black desert, its win / win. I get to play that lovely game while this hopefully less lovely game gets much better in the mean time. It's as easy as makin bacon pancakes

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e8cbcf2768e057b532c8dc27f&id=a7c3b068a7

Newsletter for the month of February, some pretty cool stuff. New rewards for backers, catacomb update, new armor, alpha/Steam release talk

Remember to use my referral link if you do pledge, it'll get us some cool items for our shard (if I have access to them, I'd imagine you will too).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I heard there was an Eonwe spotting the other night. I was going to buy this game but I am going to wait til I am bored of black desert, its win / win. I get to play that lovely game while this hopefully less lovely game gets much better in the mean time. It's as easy as makin bacon pancakes

yea I met up with PsychicToaster & Spookykid by random chance

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008
I'm not sure I like the newest update. Can't firewall the demon for relics anymore =/. And working salvage is gonna be a bitch!

Despite it being pre-alpha I've been sinking a lot of time into it. To me it really recaptured the UO feel in a lot of ways. Skills and the world is pretty limited right now, but some of the skills are pretty hard to get up there (mostly the crafting skills).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Good news

quote:

The roadmap needs to be updated. We have said we won't wipe our shards after we hit alpha which is now scheduled for the Spring.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So what are you doing in this game exactly? Just UO style gently caress off/around the place with character builds or is there like a quest arc/plot your working with?

:eonwe:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm very excited for this game. UO was so simple but god drat if it didn't steal hours of my life watching a number go up by .1 every 45 mins. Some days you just want to go click trees and collect logs, and turn those logs into lockboxes. Then switch characters and tinker deadly poison traps on those lockboxes. Then switch characters again, take the lockboxes into town and play the shell game with them only to watch people kill themselves on it.

This probably won't even live up to that but I really love exploring the world and dungeon crawling in this games style of play.

Good days. Vendor Buy Bank Guards forever.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

what bums me about shards is the fact that 99% of the "immortal" player base will be constituted of overweight westerners whose wife left them for someone better in every way, and will have power of life and death over my character.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
I'M NOT OVERWEIGHT

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

UrielX posted:

I'm not sure I like the newest update. Can't firewall the demon for relics anymore =/. And working salvage is gonna be a bitch!

Despite it being pre-alpha I've been sinking a lot of time into it. To me it really recaptured the UO feel in a lot of ways. Skills and the world is pretty limited right now, but some of the skills are pretty hard to get up there (mostly the crafting skills).

IIRC, GMing blacksmithing or any other crafting skill in UO took a lot of time too. I think that's a good thing, though?

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
This looks really interesting! I think I'll hold off on it for now after feeling burned by Shroud of the Avatar, but have been playing UO: Renaissance and some other private shards off and on and am looking for something else to scratch that itch.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

insomne posted:

This looks really interesting! I think I'll hold off on it for now after feeling burned by Shroud of the Avatar, but have been playing UO: Renaissance and some other private shards off and on and am looking for something else to scratch that itch.

Wait until the final wipe (sometime this year) and it'll really blow up. Can't wait.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah the game honestly is pretty fun

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Wait until the final wipe (sometime this year) and it'll really blow up. Can't wait.

im doing just this and will be excited to play with yall :3:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

beep_boop posted:

IIRC, GMing blacksmithing or any other crafting skill in UO took a lot of time too. I think that's a good thing, though?

No. Practically speaking, slowing the rate of crafting only delays the inevitable collapse. You need a lot more factors to go right to support crafting as part of a player economy and as history has shown, hardly anyone ever gets it right.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

No. Practically speaking, slowing the rate of crafting only delays the inevitable collapse. You need a lot more factors to go right to support crafting as part of a player economy and as history has shown, hardly anyone ever gets it right.

I really don't get why more devs haven't looked towards RuneScape when it comes to their economy. At least when I played it, the market was great. You have the super high end stuff for high end PVE content like Barrows, you have the point of diminishing returns/accessibility/cost effectiveness (Rune) that people are okay with risking the loss, you have the inventory drop on death and you have awesome holiday items and vanity items that act as huge gold sinks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This is conceptually good, the art style is pretty alright and the environment and sky looks real sweet, but unfinished MMOs are the footballs and we're all Charlie Brown

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't really know a drat thing about the economic side of things, especially when it comes to games. I see your point though and have to agree, after thinking about it in relation to Eve Online. I think in UO I was too busy not giving a gently caress and just having fun to really care. I just remember it taking a long time - and when I was most active hardly anyone had the uh.. blue armor poo poo - so it was super valuable.. for years, if I remember correctly!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just got an email, the Celador cluster is officially up. That's pretty cool.

quote:

Greetings Shards Online Supporters,

I am happy to announce that our official server, Shards of Aria (formerly known as AzureSky) is running all three supported maps! This means you can now travel to Outlands and Catacombs on that server!

Hint: To learn how to get to Catacombs, talk to Gregory the Demon Worshiper in the Graveyard

We have scheduled a group playtest on Sunday, April 16th at 5pm EST (9pm UTC), to stress test the new server. We will be awarding 100 loyalty points to everyone who participates in the event.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

so are people actually playing this now? or is it still "wait for later"

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Ruggan posted:

I broke down and bought the 40$ pre-alpha, and boy is it pre-alpha.

The game has really good potential but like i said, it's pre-alpha.
The interface needs work, lag is still somewhat of a issue.
Clipping issues, Leather Armor/Plate going from 100% to 0% within a few fights etc.

Anytime i log on and do a /who there's never been more than 7-10 ppl on. I missed the catatombs test so maybe there was more then, i donno.

Im kinda excited to see this game after beta but somehow i really doubt it's gonna be ready in 2016.
I could be wrong. I hope im wrong.

I was reading through the pre alpha testers forums and in the suggestion and feedback someone posted about the chatbox being
to big and cant really read it (theres no seperate tabs for tells/local/yell etc).
Seems you need to vote on something called gameloop to get enough votes to get the head guy supreem to even look at a suggestion?
Maybe i was reading it wrong but what?

It's fun to log on for a few and gently caress around but yea, "wait for later".

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ruggan posted:

Wait for later until they confirm final wipe. You'll be better off for it anyways, now that they're focusing on polish, hopefully it will address the criticisms above.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, I also dropped $40 and although I *really* like what I see, it's still super early. I'll probably just idle on it for a year or so and peek back around then :v: Definitely scratching the UO itch, though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its good but wait

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://youtu.be/lU1Xk6iexno

New trailer

Vote on Greenlight. The faster they get Greenlit, the more time they'll have to integrate Steamworks and get the early access no wipe build up.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694714097

Also, I'm going to look into getting an extra key and share it amongst people in the Discord or something. I'll let you know when that's sorted out.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Check out this new mmo by hype queen Alexander DeLarge

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jackard posted:

Check out this new mmo by hype queen Alexander DeLarge

But this one is actually good.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
more like sharts online

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

But this one is actually good.

im getting a subscription to this game :peanut:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

See anything familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1Xk6iexno&t=22s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvDOHOE4kEs&t=233s

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I never got to play any of the cool MMOs back in the day because my parents had a mac. I had to suffice on MUDs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lol, you were lucky as no mmos were ever cool. Maybe just UO, and wow when it first came out

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

And MUDs loving own

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Right now I mean, they still own bigtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
T-t-t-triple post.

Also I don't have the patience for MUDs like I did back when I was a kid. I keep trying to get into them, but with F2P graphical MMOs the need is gone. All the one's I've tried are either entirely devoid of life or somehow horribly p2w.