Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I can't not back a game in which elves might be aliens wielding laser bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I couldn't back this fast enough. I've been looking forward to Fellowship for quite some time, and finally having a chance to throw in some money to help speed it's release along is exciting for me. Now that I have the preview PDFs, I can't wait to give this game a spin.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Gnome7, have you gotten a chance to see our group's feedback? I know you saw it once, but we've been adding more to the doc as the weeks progressed.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tolkien-Fellowship doesn't appeal to me as much, but the rules are obviously pretty flexible. I think Rat Queens-Fellowship would be a blast.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

homullus posted:

Tolkien-Fellowship doesn't appeal to me as much, but the rules are obviously pretty flexible. I think Rat Queens-Fellowship would be a blast.

But can I play a Smidgen?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Error 404 posted:

But can I play a Smidgen?

Cross out "Halfling" and write "Smidgen" and then cross out "pipe leaf" and replace it with "assortment of psychedelics" and you're set to be Betty.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

homullus posted:

Cross out "Halfling" and write "Smidgen" and then cross out "pipe leaf" and replace it with "assortment of psychedelics" and you're set to be Betty.

If I wasn't already sold, I'd be sold.

Also someone send a link to the creator of rat queens, he's going to be doing an rq game with Adam Koebel, maybe he should look at fellowship instead?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This sounds pretty neat. I've set Kickstarter to remind me and hopefully I'll have money to throw at the digital version before it ends.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

homullus posted:

Well in the game I played this weekend, the fellowship were a bunch of rum-runners who found out the overlord's minions were elementally weak to alcohol, so now they're saving the world with booze. Also their moonshine is made from actual moonbeams plucked out of the night sky, because it was cool.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
You know, I'm normally not a fan of things powered by Apocalypse, but this looks really, really fun. It offers a stronger framework for who gets what sorts of narrative control, and gives the group a more decided direction to take things in. I'm on board! I'm looking forward to getting a copy.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I really like the idea behind Overlord on the whole, and 'cuts' is an excellent term to use that really helps put me in the mindset of how GM moves are expected to be used in a cinematic style. It doesn't really change anything about moves, but just framing it that way immediately gives me a ton of ideas where I always had trouble following how soft and hard moves are supposed to hit when I did stuff in Dungeon World.

I'm still trying to work out how I like the rest of the rules, but the GM stuff immediately makes me more interested in running a game since I get to do all the fun dumb stuff I like to do in making my own character while actually getting a framework to use it in, as opposed to that being a hard to maneuver faux pas in GMing. That alone has me pretty interested in seeing more of this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Loved Inverse World, backed this as soon as I saw it.

Looks great!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Backed this, shared it to some friends too.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I've read the preview and I already want to reskin the playbooks for a game more closer to Mass Effect. Or Touhou.

Either way I need to run this for my gaming group. :)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

gnome7 posted:

Absolutely. Reskinning is a major part of it - I really wanted to get away from every elf being a tolkien Elf. The Elf playbook lets you place as a merfolk or a space alien just as well as it does the traditional forest dweller. The commonality all Elves have is they're really good at the basic move Get Away, and they have a few weird abilities others mistake for magic. There is an outline for what they have and what they do but the fluff of how they do it is very open ended, and there are explicitly options for being veeeery different.

Backed.

I'm a huge fan of games that provide a strong structure, but are at the same time built for heavy reskinning. I'm looking forward to traveling mystical wuxia heroes from different lands under heaven battling evil overlord Cao Cao.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I've backed

So gnome how do you decide on which moves you block out for the previews?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I've backed

So gnome how do you decide on which moves you block out for the previews?

I kept the weirdest and most interesting moves visible and blocked out what was left, to give the illusion that every move is clever and interesting.

Now, this isn't to say the hidden moves are less good. I just thought I'd do better showing off the weird things you could take rather than the moves to make you the Dwarfiest Dwarf to ever Dwarf, because you already know there's gonna be moves to do that.

I also kept every move listed as a requirement for one of the Destinies in the rulebook, so you could use those if you managed to power through like 10 sessions with your friends before the kickstarter ends and you get the full PDF.

sentrygun posted:

I really like the idea behind Overlord on the whole, and 'cuts' is an excellent term to use that really helps put me in the mindset of how GM moves are expected to be used in a cinematic style. It doesn't really change anything about moves, but just framing it that way immediately gives me a ton of ideas where I always had trouble following how soft and hard moves are supposed to hit when I did stuff in Dungeon World.

I'm still trying to work out how I like the rest of the rules, but the GM stuff immediately makes me more interested in running a game since I get to do all the fun dumb stuff I like to do in making my own character while actually getting a framework to use it in, as opposed to that being a hard to maneuver faux pas in GMing. That alone has me pretty interested in seeing more of this.

It's weird because that was an actual last-minute change before the kickstarter launch, but its one of those things that's just so fitting in retrospect. It came about when I realized just how confusing it was that the Overlord had Moves from their playbook, but also the GM Moves from Dungeon World, and that was a really bad terminology clash. The GM Moves needed renaming, especially since the Overlord isn't quite the full GM role. It took me a while but then I thought of Cuts, like scene-change Cuts, and it really stuck with me and now it's too good to change.

My favorite bit was getting to change the definition from "GM Moves are how you influence and control the world around the players" to "Cuts are narrative weaponry you wield to destroy them with." Also "Hard Cuts" and "Soft Cuts" are really nice terms that I enjoy saying way more than Hard Moves / Soft Moves.

Clockwurke Bear
Oct 3, 2011

"Of course they died because of you. It's because they are the only ones who would die for you."
The GM having their own playbook is fascinating to me, but I will say the thing that sold me and made me go "I need this." was the individual control the player had over their culture. Being the bastion of information to questions is a way to encourage creativity in those that wouldn't usually, and is highlighting the design I really enjoy in PBTA games. I look forward to seeing the full move sets.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Project hit the first stretch goal for more pretty pictures, and there's a new one up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1351127

quote:

The 12.5 thousand dollar stretch goal will be to vote on a new playbook for a member of the fellowship. After the kickstarter ends, I'll put up a list of playbooks I have ideas for, and everyone who has backed will get to vote for their favorite. Top-voted playbook will get a full write up in its own mini-PDF, with the new playbook, new companions, new fellowship moves, a new Destiny, a painting by Maddi Gonzalez in the same form as the ones we just funded, and character artwork by H.P. Heisler.

If there's any kind of people you really want to see included in this vote, please, post about it in the comments. If your concept gives me good ideas, it may make the vote list!

Some ideas I have already:

The Constructed, for playing as a hero who was created or built for this mission. They would be based heavily on Inverse World's Golem playbook.

The Ghoul, for playing as a zombie, vampire, or similarly hungry undead creature. The core move I have in mind is for eating your enemies to regain your strength.

The Pair, which would be about playing as two heroes from different peoples who are completely inseparable. Their core move would be for being in two places at once.

The Spider, which would be based lightly on The Drider playbook I wrote for Dungeon World.

The Spirit, for playing as a hero who has no physical form. Walk through walls, rearrange the environment, be really hard to hurt, and have a lot of trouble harming others.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Litany Unheard posted:

Project hit the first stretch goal for more pretty pictures, and there's a new one up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1351127

The stretch goal after this should be to write all of them. Imagine reskinning the spirit as a pacifist monk. :swoon:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My ideas for playbooks are probably dumb but I went ahead and posted them in the comments. The Rebellious Child and the Old Hero. The son/daughter/creation of the overlord, rebelling against their creator/parent. and "the last survivor of a previous generation's fellowship", for those settings where the battle against an evil overlord is a cyclical thing.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Error 404 posted:

The stretch goal after this should be to write all of them. Imagine reskinning the spirit as a pacifist monk. :swoon:

See, my first thought for the spirit was 'sweet, I've always wanted to play a rogue AI.'

unseenlibrarian posted:

My ideas for playbooks are probably dumb but I went ahead and posted them in the comments. The Rebellious Child and the Old Hero. The son/daughter/creation of the overlord, rebelling against their creator/parent. and "the last survivor of a previous generation's fellowship", for those settings where the battle against an evil overlord is a cyclical thing.
Don't the orc and the harbinger kinda cover these?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Androc posted:

See, my first thought for the spirit was 'sweet, I've always wanted to play a rogue AI.'

:aaaaa:

Something to tempt me away from overlord, wow.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I was poking around about making a Rogue style character, with a criminal syndicate/band of rebels/pirate crew instead of a traditional community. Everyone needs a Han Solo.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 12, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chaos rhames posted:

I was poking around about making a Rogue style character, with a criminal syndicate/band of rebels/pirate crew instead of a traditional community. Everyone needs a Han Solo.

The Outlaw.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

quote:

The Pair, which would be about playing as two heroes from different peoples who are completely inseparable. Their core move would be for being in two places at once.

This seems like either a fantastic roleplaying opportunity or insanity. A lot of turning your head left and right to indicate whether you're Rocco or Socco, or make them completely different so they're Victor and Tiny.

Kai Tave posted:

The Outlaw.

I can dig it. Pair the Harbinger, the Outlaw and the Orc for the ultimate Antihero Party.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I'm genuinely fascinated as to how the Pair would work. My longest running character/s in any rpg was a pair of vampire wizards connected by psychic link with a, at this stage, massively complicated history. I've always enjoyed the duality and getting to play around with more than one character at once. So I'm really interested to see that one in action.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Androc posted:

Don't the orc and the harbinger kinda cover these?

Kiiinda. They might be better as destinies, since often as not that's the sort of thing that gets revealed partway through a series.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gnome7 posted:

This is very encouraging to hear! I am glad you had such a good time with Inverse World, and I can only hope you are equally pleased with Fellowship.

You could probably even run Fellowship in Invells, with a little care and reskinning the racial playbooks as island nations.

I would like to see the section on being Taken Out fleshed out more. The "fellowship vs. overlord" genre is full of cases where at least one of their number doesn't make it, whether it be by noble sacrifice or dark betrayal or bad luck. Like, the section alludes to that, but I feel there should be incentive for a player to allow the Empire to Strike Back and a mechanism for how that is going to work out.

homullus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 14, 2015

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

homullus posted:

You could probably even run Fellowship in Invells, with a little care and reskinning the racial playbooks as island nations.

I would like to see the section on being Taken Out fleshed out more. The "fellowship vs. overlord" genre is full of cases where at least one of their number doesn't make it, whether it be by noble sacrifice or dark betrayal or bad luck. Like, the section alludes to that, but I feel there should be incentive for a player to allow the Empire to Strike Back and a mechanism for how that is going to work out.

There's one part of the book that mentions if you get taken out and decide you're dying, you can describe Death and what it offers you in exchange for your life, and whether or not you take that deal. I think that's a cool way for a PC's death to always have some meaning.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Astus posted:

There's one part of the book that mentions if you get taken out and decide you're dying, you can describe Death and what it offers you in exchange for your life, and whether or not you take that deal. I think that's a cool way for a PC's death to always have some meaning.

Right, I re-read that before posting. That's what Death wants if you want to keep living. While it gives you an interesting "turn" to your character, that doesn't address or provide an alternative incentive for dying. The only incentive to die currently is "it's better than the deal Death was offering."

Edit: Like, Gandalf and Boromir both get Taken Out. Gandalf literally describes Death and obviously takes the deal offered. Boromir does not. Fellowship does not currently give a player reason or incentive to make the Boromir choice, aside from either not liking what Death offers or actually just wanting to run a different playbook. It needs to be the player's choice for the PC to die, but I think there should be . . . something. Something else that involves the other players and the Overlord.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 14, 2015

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
You misread that, it explicitly mentions that if you take the deal, "you are most certainly dead."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Astus posted:

You misread that, it explicitly mentions that if you take the deal, "you are most certainly dead."

You're right: I totally misread it. My larger point still stands: there is no guidance or information about why I would ever want to be Boromir, other than my life is valuable, so Death can offer me something. What can I say Death offers? Does it need to be tied to Communities, the fellowship, the Generals, or my Companions? Are there limits? Does the Overlord have any say? If I accept, am I making one of my Companions into a PC?

I get that this game is best suited to people who have played Dungeon World or other PbtA games, but it was a glaring hole in Dungeon World (though the reverse of this) and it's a glaring hole here, and it's likely this will be somebody's first such game. There's good guidance for the Overlord on playing to entertain, there's good guidance for the players on spotlight use; the death of a PC should involve both entertaining the whole group and clearly involves the spotlight. And then, there's the question of the next character. There doesn't need to be a chapter on this, but a paragraph of guidance -- even if it's "some groups will do X, others will do Y" -- would really help.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So for the Harbinger, sharing Doomed Soul gives that player Doom +1. Do Not Trifle With Wizards can also be shared, but it doesn't give the player a Doom stat. Does Doomed Soul need to be shared first, is there a rule for rolls with a stat you don't have, or was that an oversight?

E: Ignore the above, its towards the end of the playbook. They roll with +0 Doom.

Unrelated, but I'm worried my players are going to fight over who gets to take the Firebrand destiny. And that's even before seeing its custom moves, so good work there.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 14, 2015

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

homullus posted:

Edit: Like, Gandalf and Boromir both get Taken Out. Gandalf literally describes Death and obviously takes the deal offered. Boromir does not. Fellowship does not currently give a player reason or incentive to make the Boromir choice, aside from either not liking what Death offers or actually just wanting to run a different playbook. It needs to be the player's choice for the PC to die, but I think there should be . . . something. Something else that involves the other players and the Overlord.

Boromir absolutely took the deal Death offered, and the deal was "redeem yourself for betraying Frodo and live just long enough to tell Aragorn that the orcs took Merry and Pippin alive."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

Boromir absolutely took the deal Death offered, and the deal was "redeem yourself for betraying Frodo and live just long enough to tell Aragorn that the orcs took Merry and Pippin alive."

I was still misunderstanding the move when I wrote that, but . . . why would Boromir's player choose that, when he could opt to not be dying at all and still tell Aragorn? Do you see what I mean about incentive? I think there needs to be more there to make PC death an attractive-but-rare option.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Perhaps his offer was for Merry and Pippin to be taken alive, not dead.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

homullus posted:

I was still misunderstanding the move when I wrote that, but . . . why would Boromir's player choose that, when he could opt to not be dying at all and still tell Aragorn? Do you see what I mean about incentive? I think there needs to be more there to make PC death an attractive-but-rare option.

Because by not dying he doesn't redeem himself for his earlier failure with Frodo and the Ring, which is clearly a huge part of Boromir's player's goal for the story. There's also the "fiction first" mantra to consider: Boromir is Taken Out by a vast army of bloodthirsty Uruk-hai who are there specifically to kill everyone but the halflings. The only Fellowship members near to hand are two effectively-noncombatant Hobbits. This is probably a case where the player looked at the situation and said "yeah, there's no way Boromir gets out of this one alive. But drat if he's not going out in style!"

Impermanent posted:

Oh that would make sense too, if Merry and Pippin weren't PCs.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

GimpInBlack posted:

Oh that would make sense too, if Merry and Pippin weren't PCs.

They kinda weren't until that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Impermanent posted:

If Merry and Pippin are Companions, perhaps -- and maybe Boromir's player promotes one of them to his or her PC . . . but then both get elevated to PC status. Otherwise, avoiding death would be 100% under the control of Merry and Pippin's players.

GimpInBlack posted:

Because by not dying he doesn't redeem himself for his earlier failure with Frodo and the Ring, which is clearly a huge part of Boromir's player's goal for the story. There's also the "fiction first" mantra to consider: Boromir is Taken Out by a vast army of bloodthirsty Uruk-hai who are there specifically to kill everyone but the halflings. The only Fellowship members near to hand are two effectively-noncombatant Hobbits. This is probably a case where the player looked at the situation and said "yeah, there's no way Boromir gets out of this one alive. But drat if he's not going out in style!"

Your take is that Boromir's redemption comes not from his willingness to die, but his actual death? I don't know that I'm on board with that, but I don't think it matters for this. But Fellowship specifically cites Lord of the Rings as one of its inspirations, and also casts the game as inherently cooperative and optimistic; I don't think Fellowship actually accommodates a Boromir in its current form. You don't have a member of the Fellowship working against the others in any capacity, beyond possibly the demand made when a PC is Taken Out in the presence of the Overlord.

So, like, in the course of human events, it is totally possible to play a game of Fellowship in which a character goes all Boromir in that campaign for reasons and then gets Taken Out and chooses to accept Death's offer and bite it for a redemptive moment. That can happen and the rules don't get in the way of that. Fellowship the game, though, does not incentivize or support Boromirs explicitly, even in the section of the game most relevant to that, which I think is absolutely a missed opportunity, given how frequently you have the deaths of fellowship members in the fantasy fellowship genre post-Tolkien. Maybe that's intentional -- the game is so much more about the adversaries and obstacles faced in the genre -- but often temptation is one of those obstacles.