Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Start in action, ask a lot of questions. Stick to the principles and agendas like glue. Take a break if you need to think a bit. That’s pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It depends on your group, but the "first session" works best if it's people bouncing ideas off each other. I wrote a framework for my setting (just a list of the worlds and broad-stroke descriptions) and then let my players fill in everything.

Ask challenging questions when people get hung up. Don't ask "what do the Dwarves love most?", ask "why can't the Dwarves get enough of what they love most?" Ideal questions should pose a dilemma or problem that can appear on play.

As with anything PbtA, say yes to as much as possible and then build on it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How much does a player really get to decide about their people? I noticed that the Elf playbook offers one of four choices for what an Elf is - fairy, mermaid, alien, or standard fantasy wood elf - and I'm wondering if that doesn't run a little counter to the freedom players are meant to feel in deciding what their people are like.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I encouraged my players to rethink and reskin. Our Elf player ended up designing them as snake-people who were the last bearers of the tech that the Harbinger's race left behind when they peaced out of the system.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I noticed that some of the playbooks are more prescriptive about the races than I expected. Races like Elves and Orcs have options that tell you what the races are, rather than what they do or what their motivation is. Given that the game talks a lot about letting the player decide what your people are like, this seems strange. If I were playing Elf or Orc, I would expect myself to just cannibalize the subrace moves and heavily reskin. I'll determine what we're like, thank you.

Other playbooks, like Halfling and Dwarf, are super good about their options cause they're more like yes-and traits that you can build off of. I feel like I have wayyyy more freedom to determine what we're like for those two. Heir and Harbinger kinda fall in the middle of the spectrum, and I actually kinda skipped over their books so I'll come back to them. Squire doesn't have this problem at all due to not being a race and therefore not having any baggage.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So the thing is, the races have to be a little restricted by nature of what playbooks mean. The Elf can't be from a warlike society of warriors, and has to be some form of nature loving amazing great magical beings, because that's what keeps the Elf from just being a second Orc.

This is for a reason, in that the game is built to be played with only different playbooks (unlike some PbtA that do say you can double up on playbooks if it's desired), in order to create a dynamic where everyone is obviously from very disparate societies, that don't share much at all in common, forcing the Fellowship to come together despite their differences.

You can easily rename The Orc into "The Warrior Race", the Elf into "The Nature Race" etc, because that's more the role they fill, to create a variety of racial sterotypes that are at ends with each other.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
i played a dwarf as a nomadic forest miniature mastodon with cool trunk axes and a love for trees. the playbooks are really open and the ability to poach moves from other classes means you can basically tailor your dude to be whatever. the archetypes are really broad.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

I think they come off as prescriptive at first glance, but if you use them as kind of a suggested starting point, you can get some solid results. Just looking at elves, your options are:
- You're small, mostly unfamiliar to people, and can fly.
- You're vaguely aquatic, can breathe underwater, you can share that ability, and you can do infinite magic in water.
- You're from "beyond the skies", you have advanced technology, and your people install taser-based DRM into all their stuff.
- You can help other people hide with you, and when you travel in the woods you're impossible to track because trees like you.

You can play a Merfolk Elf as just a mermaid, sure, but you can also be just a selkie who wears a seal-skin to transform in the water and seems normal most other times. Or just the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Or an very large and very non-humanoid crab with a sword and a big ol' turtle you ride on. Your Star Elf can absolutely just be from a society of subterranean bat people: "beyond the skies" clearly just means "under the ground"! Between the "What is an [X]?" choices and the Custom Move choices -- ones like Half-Elf especially -- I don't think you need to stretch that much to make most concepts work even before saying "well, just reskin it". (Although you should say that -- if someone wants to be a Spawn of Darkness Orc because they're a weird lovecraftian gribbly who's out to make friends and not because they're fungus, that's cool.)

Gnome has an ongoing Actual Play podcast of the game going at Six Feats Under where you can get kind of an idea of how much player input there is too, if that's helpful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

How much does a player really get to decide about their people? I noticed that the Elf playbook offers one of four choices for what an Elf is - fairy, mermaid, alien, or standard fantasy wood elf - and I'm wondering if that doesn't run a little counter to the freedom players are meant to feel in deciding what their people are like.

You're able to mess around quite a bit within those options--often it's just a matter of changing the name.

For example, in my game, the player of the Elf wanted her character to fall into the Star Elf archetype, coming from this far away, alien place with unfamiliar technology. We decided that the setting we were building didn't really have room for space travel, but because the whole thing takes place on floating islands, we decided that her Elf comes from a hidden island high above the others, shielded from view by the Upper Cloudsea. That way her character still comes from higher up than anyone else and still has unfamiliar tech, but we don't have to deal with space travel stuff.

Meanwhile, the Orc in this game is a lizardfolk guy and the species call themselves "dragonspawn." They consider the term "orc" to be offensive--it connotes, to them, a mindless horde of violent savages, and while they're certainly not the most level-headed bunch (the player has basically fashioned them as having a society based on strength with an aesthetic that can be summarized as "what if Mad Max, but airships"), they're also not a swarm of unthinkingly evil barbarians.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
The main thing about playbooks in Fellowship is that they're focused on hitting the specific narrative beats of their fantasy people, and as long as you hit those beats you're safely within that playbook. Elves are graceful and observant and they have secret techniques outsiders don't understand. Dwarves are tough and stubborn and probably have an affinity for crafting or the earth. Orcs are volatile and break precious things so they can have what they want now. You could use them as generic Tolkien people, or you could have hypercapitalist orcs and ornery crystal-spirit dwarves and elven ninja clans or whatever else you want. Some times you'd have to change the appearance options a bit, but thinking about it and picking something not on the list is still in the spirit of the appearance options.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which is why it seems kinda strange that the elf playbook says “here’s where the elves came from and what they’re like”, if the intent is just “they’re graceful and mystical”. Maybe options instead focusing on “they’re mystical”, “they’re secretive”, “they’re graceful”, etc. would work?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 9, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Which is why it seems kinda strange that the elf playbook says “here’s where the elves came from and what they’re like”, if the intent is just “they’re graceful and mystical”. Maybe options instead focusing on “they’re mystical”, “they’re secretive”, “they’re graceful”, etc. would work?

Well, all of those things are true of all elves, no matter what you choose for the "What Is an Elf?" selection.

Ultimately, I think what you're noticing is maybe a difference in how fantasy stories tend to treat different races. You noticed that the Elf and Orc playbooks focus on what an elf or an orc is over what one does, and looking across a lot of fantasy stories, that's sort of how most stories differentiate their elves and orcs. What an elf does is rarely the question, but what an elf is varies pretty widely. You can even see that within the same setting--how many different subspecies of elf does Forgotten Realms have now? Meanwhile, well, dwarves don't vary that much story-to-story on what they fundamentally are, but you do see a wide variety of different cultural takes on dwarves--maybe they're diggers and miners, maybe they have a mystical kinship with the earth, maybe they're great tinkerers and crafters, that sort of thing. But they're almost invariably short people who tend to live in and around mountains. You vary that too much and they're not all that dwarf-like to most players anymore.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

We wrapped up my Fellowship campaign tonight.

The Overlord, a survivor of a long-dead precursor race called the Kaiyans that once ruled over the Thirteen Worlds and created all of the other races, invaded from beyond the stars to bring Order and Peace to the system. The rag-tag Fellowship consisted of: a whimsical snake-like Blue Elf who wanted justice for her people who had been oppressed by Red Elves; a Dwarf who stole a ship and escaped when his people sided with the Overlord; a Uranen Prince from a comet passing back through the system after a thousand-year absence; and the other other surviving Kaiyan who was held in suspended animation for milennia (Harbinger).

They had a number of great adventures (including making a devil's pact with star dragon) and scored some big strokes against the Overlord, finally coming to a head when they figured out a way to return to the ruined planet of Kaiya where it was revealed that the Kaiyans didn't die, they ruined their planet in a bid to escape the system and their corporeal forms. There they confronted the Overlord and, in a surprise upset, defeated her!

I activated my final Move and revealed the ultimate Big Bad, a cyborg Kaiyan who was coming to assimilate everything. They faced him tonight and won peace and prosperity for the scarred but undeterred Worlds and their Peoples.

Gnome, I just want to say Thank You for writing this game. We had so much fun and the system was largely responsible for enabling the characters to feel like heroes while allowing me to chew it up as the Overlord. Not since the first time we played Fiasco has a game really fascilitated this much enjoyment and excitement.

Also, please finish The Horizon so that I can run my peaceful exploration game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's a thing I'd like some input on for future planning: How would one go about handling 2 Overlords that are also opposed to each other?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Xelkelvos posted:

Here's a thing I'd like some input on for future planning: How would one go about handling 2 Overlords that are also opposed to each other?

This sounds like a lot of work from my point of view. If they are not evenly matched, obviously you have a Loki situation where no one can trust him, and he's just using the party to not die or weaken the Overlord. If they are evenly matched, I would have them be fighting over the same Sources of Power, and even having their bases being a source of power, so when one eventually defeats the other, they actually get stronger.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you have two GMs, or are you just running two Overlord sheets? You could maybe treat it as only one Overlord is active at a time, then switch from one to the other when it makes sense narratively.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'd basically be two Overlord sheets. Think two rival forces approaching at the same time that both want the same thing, but are diametrically opposed to the other and even if one is defeated, the other still remains.

It's still a theoretical thing, but I was wondering how others would approach it in this system.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Finally got a game of Fellowship in last night. How generous are people with giving out advantage re: Finish Them? Using Keep Them Busy was always good, but I felt like I could have encouraged more creativity in creating advantage, while also feeling like I gave advantage a little too easily.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
My girlfriend is starting up a Fellowship game and I'm playing the Heir. I could not find anywhere in the book what the stats for the Sibling Companion do. I'm assuming Noble Bearing is the same as my Custom and I'm guessing Just As Good As You Are also gives them one of my customs? That's just a guess though. I wish it was easier to find the Companion stats. Same for some of the vehicle stats like 20 Horsepower and Loud and Fast for the Guzzler - I don't see descriptions of them anywhere.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doodmons posted:

My girlfriend is starting up a Fellowship game and I'm playing the Heir. I could not find anywhere in the book what the stats for the Sibling Companion do. I'm assuming Noble Bearing is the same as my Custom and I'm guessing Just As Good As You Are also gives them one of my customs? That's just a guess though. I wish it was easier to find the Companion stats. Same for some of the vehicle stats like 20 Horsepower and Loud and Fast for the Guzzler - I don't see descriptions of them anywhere.

That's the entire stat. Companions don't use the extended stat description in the Threats chapter except when they are threatening you, as an enemy. All that text after the name of the stat? That's only for fighting them.

Companion stats are just the name. When you want a companion to do something for you, you damage an applicable stat and they go do that thing. For example, your sibling is Just As Good As You Are, so you can ask them to go do anything you could do. Then you damage that stat and they'll go do it, and usually succeed.

This is on page 32, and also on page 184 halfway down the page. The fact that the Threats are not kept once they become Companions is only mentioned in that one paragraph on page 184, and its something I intend to clarify in book 2.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Finally got a game of Fellowship in last night. How generous are people with giving out advantage re: Finish Them? Using Keep Them Busy was always good, but I felt like I could have encouraged more creativity in creating advantage, while also feeling like I gave advantage a little too easily.

I usually let Advantage flow freely in my games, until they face someone who is a Big Deal. Then suddenly they need to work for it, and its an easy way to ramp up the tension where it matters. Like nobody gets Advantage against the Overlord without a huge investment, and facing a General one on one is never good enough.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

That's the entire stat. Companions don't use the extended stat description in the Threats chapter except when they are threatening you, as an enemy. All that text after the name of the stat? That's only for fighting them.

Companion stats are just the name. When you want a companion to do something for you, you damage an applicable stat and they go do that thing. For example, your sibling is Just As Good As You Are, so you can ask them to go do anything you could do. Then you damage that stat and they'll go do it, and usually succeed.

This is on page 32, and also on page 184 halfway down the page. The fact that the Threats are not kept once they become Companions is only mentioned in that one paragraph on page 184, and its something I intend to clarify in book 2.

Ahh, nice. Thanks my dude. Do you need to damage a stat to get a Companion to go do something and/or have them succeed at it? Or is damaging a stat the equivalent for when you'd need to roll a move? For example, would I need to damage Just As Good As You Are to get my sibling to do anything vaguely kingly?

As ever with Fellowship, I'm immediately loving the worldbuilding and character building people do without any prompting. Our Fellowship is:

First of the Many, the Heir of the Stalwart Defenders. Their race is The Many, a kingdom of former humans who were transformed into reincarnating semi-undead constructs who live in a highly regimented caste-based society. Their culture as a whole chose to be transformed to allow them to survive against the onslaughts of the Overlord, who comes from the Blight within their lands. They hold an eternal vigil, keeping their magical watchfires lit to stop the Blight spreading. The watchfires have just failed.

Li Bao, the Stoneborn Dwarf. The Dwarves are an Imperial China-themed empire of craftsmen, artists and scholars who live in vast and glittering subterranean cities in the mountain. Their god, the Celestial Dragon, created them to produce great works of art and crafts to make its Creation more appealing. They jealously protect their works - to be gifted an item crafted by a Dwarf is tantamount to them admitting that they trust you and your family to keep it safe for all time. They have an age old animosity with the Orcs, who destroy as much as they build. The greatest aspiration a Dwarf has is to turn something ugly and meaningless into something beautiful and historic. Parts of the world are littered with the remains of ancient and vast Dwarven geoengineering projects to make the landscape more appealing to the Celestial Dragon - often by carving mountains into its likeness.

Xylaria, the Spawn of Darkness Orc. The Orcs are a fungal people who are grown from spores cultivated in the magical light of a rare and mystical firefly. The Orcish capital is built around a mysterious glass sphere containing millions of these fireflies and Orc settlements are always built around Creches containing a single firefly from the great orb. Orcs believe in recycling and reusing whatever is old, outdated or not fit for purpose and replacing it with something new and better. They are prominent farmers, and Orcish agriculture feeds most of the world. They used to have a sprawling empire, but it succumbed to hedonism and decadence. Even today, Orcs try to reclaim their former greatness.

Rowan, Seer of the Mists, the Blind Prophet Harbinger. The Harbingers, also known as the Witches or the Seers, are a mysterious plant-based people who travel the world spreading prophecies and advising the other races on the murky future. Their society revolves around protecting the Deeproot, the root system of the great World Tree which lets their people travel across the entire world unseen and unhindered. Their few settlements are found far away from prying eyes and even the Seers who associate with other races tend to live in seclusion and avoid over-familiarity.

All we know about our Overlord so far is that she is named Lalangr, the Nightmare from Beyond; that she spreads a pestilential Blight wherever she goes and that her weakness, the mysterious Veil of Sunshine, has been found in the possession of Rowan.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doodmons posted:

Ahh, nice. Thanks my dude. Do you need to damage a stat to get a Companion to go do something and/or have them succeed at it? Or is damaging a stat the equivalent for when you'd need to roll a move? For example, would I need to damage Just As Good As You Are to get my sibling to do anything vaguely kingly?

You have to damage the stat if you want them to try and solve a problem for you. The sibling can be as kingly as they like all of the time, but when push comes to shove and you need them to go do a big speech as a distraction or something, you damage the stat to make them do it. If the harbinger has a witch's broom with flight, they can generally fly around as they wish when it doesn't matter, but if they want it to solve a real problem like getting across a big gap or going somewhere quickly, they need to damage a stat on their broomstick.

This is basically the way the game limits how often you can rely on your friends to solve your problems for you. At the end of the day, you're the heroes, not the people traveling with you.

Also, your peoples rule and I like them a lot, they're very good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How would you run a... let's say "subtler" Overlord?

We're rebooting our Fellowship game on Saturday because nobody really found that what they'd chosen so far worked for them--a couple players wanted to switch playbooks, and I wasn't happy with how my Overlord was turning out. The players suggested they'd be fine with a full-on cosmic retcon so we're going for that.

The Overlord is slightly based on Fou-Lu from Breath of Fire IV, with one of his stats (something that's true of all dragons, which he is) being that he is supernaturally Compelling. Beings around him sometimes find themselves bent to his will without his even trying. At one time in his life, he might not have even wanted people to do things for him, but they would anyway. These days, he's out for vengeance against a world he sees as rotten to the core, so he's flexing this power to the best of his ability. (The reason for this is that the world itself tends to bend around dragons, who are demigods--they exert a sort of gravity on the very fabric of reality.)

Unfortunately, on our first run at this campaign, I ended up stumbling backwards into him having a zombie horde of ice minions and it ended up skewing too much towards horror and the Fellowship feeling like they need to cleave their way through mind-controlled minions and it just wasn't working for me. I wanted to encourage them to try more nonviolent approaches, but unfortunately I presented them with an enemy that really invited a guns-blazing approach, which ended up leaving our Halfing and Elf's players behind because they didn't really get into that type of thing.

If you were going to run an Overlord whose main power is that he passively bends the world around him to his will--his powers over darkness and cold make the world dim and bleak around him, and mortal beings find themselves doing his will, that kind of thing--what kind of army would you pick? I went for the Scourge originally to emphasize that the very terrain around him changes to suit his aspect, but if I wanted something subtler, what would be a better option?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Organization, but its members don't realize they're serving him - they're just influenced by his very existence. All of them are people he's met and, therefore, changed.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Another option would be to keep the Scourge, but don't make the scourge hostile. Turn everyone into zombies in the depressed way, where they just kinda go through the motions and keep to their schedule and ignore the outside world. And maybe unknowingly adjust their schedules to the Overlord's whims. They won't actively get in the fellowship's way much, so they are free to try all sorts of non-violent solutions, but they aren't going to ever help the fellowship either, or be swayed away from their tasks. And if they're still basically innocent folks, violent solutions come with some ethical considerations.

Basically, make it a quiet takeover instead of a brutal one. Mindless workers instead of mindless warriors.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

gnome7 posted:

Another option would be to keep the Scourge, but don't make the scourge hostile. Turn everyone into zombies in the depressed way, where they just kinda go through the motions and keep to their schedule and ignore the outside world. And maybe unknowingly adjust their schedules to the Overlord's whims. They won't actively get in the fellowship's way much, so they are free to try all sorts of non-violent solutions, but they aren't going to ever help the fellowship either, or be swayed away from their tasks. And if they're still basically innocent folks, violent solutions come with some ethical considerations.

Basically, make it a quiet takeover instead of a brutal one. Mindless workers instead of mindless warriors.

This is a great idea if my players ever want to be a band. Fight the oppression with music.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Those both sound like awesome ideas. I'm leaning a bit towards using the Organization--my players did say they liked the sound of that one when we talked about armies last weekend.

A question about that: how would you differentiate, characterization-wise, a member of the Organization from one of the Overlord's Generals? Obviously a General is a Threat to the World, but I'm not sure how to treat the two kinds of recurring antagonists differently in their relationship to the Fellowship.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s personal, I guess.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Generals are bosses. When they show up, the Fellowship can expect to expend significant resources if they decide to stand toe to toe. This can be a Balrog, an apprentice Dark Lord of the Sith, or an Alliance Operative. They're the perfect way to end an act of your story or something to throw at the players if it's getting too easy, depending on how you run a game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

We ended up going with the Organization, largely because my players are very excited about having a group of named antagonists with personalities to compete with and fight against, and how can I deny them that?

I think I'm going to be playing them as being well aware that they're serving the Overlord, but they believe they're doing it of their own free will (and, hell, maybe some of them are). They're fiercely loyal to him, maybe even on a personal level. He is, after all, the First Emperor, and he's returned to his throne at least. Not everyone is happy about that, but many have been awaiting his return, telling stories about how he's the only man to have slain a dragon, about how he brought together this nation with his own blood and tears, and how he's come back to lead us all to prosperity.

None of this is true, of course. Well, he is the First Emperor, but the rest of it is... let's just say the truth has been massaged in his absence. But the Overlord has a whole nation who believe it now.

Zurui posted:

Generals are bosses. When they show up, the Fellowship can expect to expend significant resources if they decide to stand toe to toe. This can be a Balrog, an apprentice Dark Lord of the Sith, or an Alliance Operative. They're the perfect way to end an act of your story or something to throw at the players if it's getting too easy, depending on how you run a game.

Yeah, I have a decent grasp on where Generals generally (ha) fit in, but I was having a hard time with how, narratively, the Organization army option can kinda step on their toes. Though I suppose one major thing about Generals is that they aren't explicitly recurring enemies the way the Organization are (it's key to the Organization that they frequently live to fight another day, after all). But also maybe the Organization reports to a General instead of reporting to the Overlord himself, something like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Gonna finally try and get a Fellowship game off the ground with a group of people who don't know each other besides me. The first "session" probably wont be much other than a tutorial of how to play and getting everyone familiar with PbtA games so that'll be interesting. We're also going to be missing someone so...:shrug:

If all else fails, I'll just fall back to Dungeon World or something. Or maybe run a DCC Funnel

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

best of luck!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xelkelvos posted:

Gonna finally try and get a Fellowship game off the ground with a group of people who don't know each other besides me. The first "session" probably wont be much other than a tutorial of how to play and getting everyone familiar with PbtA games so that'll be interesting. We're also going to be missing someone so...:shrug:

If all else fails, I'll just fall back to Dungeon World or something. Or maybe run a DCC Funnel

Like with all gaming groups, expect it to fall apart a handful of sessions in when people fail to show up/call in sick/get dramabombed out. Exceptions to that rule are apparently rare. That's why I like doing one-shots: less commitment, less dickery and disappointment.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
It depends on the people you play with, I guess. Since I started playing with my current circle of roleplayers, I've actually been able to run and play campaigns all the way through to their endings. A whole game of Dungeon World to the defeat of the final threat, a game of Fellowship to the defeat of the Overlord, a game of Valor all the way to the final Season and the endboss, and those're just the ones I've run. Not short ones, either, games lasting one or two years.

This consistently hasn't been the case for me with people outside this specific circle, though.

EDIT: I should also add that I've been playing vis online text chat, as I'm deaf. It's easier to show up for that sort of game.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 3, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The first "session" is through and since only 2 of 4 were able to make it, we basically only developed the Overlord and one character. The other person is still looking at stuff for their Robot (Construct) to be cool because they couldn't think of a concept outside of that yet.

The Overlord is gonna be an Isekai protagonist named "Yuusha" and is set not too far from their destined victory over the Demon King that terrorized the land. Everything is pretty much recovered, but parts of the land are dying and fouling now, and that didn't happen under the Demon King's invasion. The party knows that the Hero, Yuusha, is actually the cause of all this, but it's yet to be settled as to how they know. The rest of the world is basically still in the dark about this and for most people would still be unconvinced without hard proof. "Why would the person who saved the world be killing the land? That doesn't make any sense," goes the peasant. Mechanically, they're gonna have an Organization, likely composed of their old party members and maybe former Demon King minions. I've not 100% defined how they look, but if not for the fact that they're extremely famous, he'd be fairly unassuming

The most well developed party member is played by Goon, Suspect Bucket. They have an Heir of a Forgotten Land. The land of Water and Flowers was untouched by the Demon King, partially because practically everyone else in the world forgot about it, and also possibly because the Demon King might have been from there. :iiam: The character is a prince going from the forgotten land to the rest of the world to stop the Hero. Instead of a Warhorse, they have an elephant/advisor that is a pacifist. The land that they come from is based on Southern India or at least borrows elements from there.

The other two players I have to talk to and see what they're thinking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Like with all gaming groups, expect it to fall apart a handful of sessions in when people fail to show up/call in sick/get dramabombed out. Exceptions to that rule are apparently rare. That's why I like doing one-shots: less commitment, less dickery and disappointment.

Now that my gaming friends and I are all grown-ups with jobs and poo poo, I find that it works best for us to plan around having one long-ish session per month rather than trying to stick to a regular schedule. We all just stay in touch and try to find a good time, then put together a session when we all have a day where we can hang out and play. That helps keep the game from falling apart--everyone has the same expectations for how often we'll play and we plan close enough to the actual date that things don't tend to come up and interrupt us.

Right now the group I play with plays online since we're all in different states, which weirdly makes it a little easier, since we don't even have to be in the mood to leave the house in order to have a successful session :v:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zurui posted:

We wrapped up my Fellowship campaign tonight.

Gnome, I just want to say Thank You for writing this game. We had so much fun and the system was largely responsible for enabling the characters to feel like heroes while allowing me to chew it up as the Overlord. Not since the first time we played Fiasco has a game really fascilitated this much enjoyment and excitement.

Also, please finish The Horizon so that I can run my peaceful exploration game.

I'm glad you had such a good time! Really, this post brought me a lot of joy when I first read it 2 months ago.

And just because of this post, I'm gonna post the first draft of The Horizon straight to this thread. Everyone here is free to use it, and any feedback is appreciated! This will be included in my next Fellowship book, An Inverse Fellowship, along with playbooks for The Angel, The Collector, The Lantern, The Rain, and The Ship.

The Horizon is a more relaxed Overlord. Rather than a single overarching threat, it places you in charge of developing weird locations. Everywhere has a top dog, some kind of boss figure who rules over the place, but they may not be your enemy. There is no greater evil here. Just the endless sky and the call to adventure.

There's three major changes between the Horizon and the Overlord playbooks. First, most of the Overlord moves have gone right out the window. The Horizon doesn't level up, they don't have plans, they don't Twist the Knife or Make An Offer You Can't Refuse. Their rules are significantly simpler overall, but that simplicity comes with the fact you're going to be making a lot of locations. You only make one Overlord, and they show up sparingly, so their rules are allowed to be a bit complicated. The Horizon will make many, many locations and need to keep track of them while the players are there.

Second, the Horizon's moves are all about managing the Threat Level of the current location. As the players piss off the locals or defy the natural order of things, the location steadily grows more and more hostile to their presence. Every time the Threat Level increases, the Horizon picks an advancement move to add on top of the current situation. Every location has its own threat levels, and you write down the order you took each threat, so if the players go back to somewhere they were before, they'll trigger the same problems in the same order.

Third, the Horizon doesn't choose a unique personal Agenda like the Overlord does. Instead, the players each pick one Agenda for you, based on why they're exploring the world. If a player is Seeking Fame, you gain the Cut and Agenda listed under that goal, to be used explicitly for the player seeking fame. In this way, the Horizon offers different temptations to each hero based on what they're trying to find. You can only find what you're looking for, after all.

The released version will absolutely include one-page location playbooks so the Horizon can print out a whole bunch of locations and keep their sheets on hand for whenever players return to any of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Will any of the expansion playbooks make it into Inverse Fellowship or will it be its own thing with The Horizon and those five Playbooks?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Will this include mods to the core playbooks to make them work better with it?

Like I feel that some of the gear options ('the Overlord's weakness') and playbook history stuff (and the Harbinger in general) are going to need some shifts to deal with There Is No Overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
The text for Make it personal and Wrong them is repeated in the pdf.