Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah it'd be interesting to see if there are moves in the book about succumbing to the temptation to backstab an ally for power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Impermanent posted:

Yeah it'd be interesting to see if there are moves in the book about succumbing to the temptation to backstab an ally for power.

Well, each player does have their own Agenda. Obviously Boromir's Agenda was all about helping out his people and getting them whatever advantage possible against the Overlord. Even if that meant using one of the Overlord's Threats to the World against him.

Actually, the Overlord custom move "And In The Darkness Bind Them" is all about tempting players with power, because it gives them the Agenda "Spread Chaos" if they hold it, but in return they get a Threat to the World for themselves.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this is probably a dumb question but how do i get the preview info as a ks backer?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Cat Face Joe posted:

this is probably a dumb question but how do i get the preview info as a ks backer?

It's in the first update.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ah thanks. i have no idea how ks works

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hi! Gnome has kindly allowed me to use the full playbooks for Fellowship for my new game thread - Fellowship: Lord of the Libraries! I would love to see what people come up with for characters here.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

The Outlaw.
I've tried poking around with creating this class but I couldn't get it to work. Aside from just lack experience with this, it's a tricky class to get right. Trust and community are such big factors in the game, so a character that has a completely different relationship to these than the others is way past my skill levels. Also I couldn't think about a background for being a pirate, so what's the point. Someone who knows what they're doing can try if they want.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 16, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think with an outlaw playbook, you might -not- want to change the community relationships so much, exactly. An Outlaw in a fellowship could be part of a group with some sort of code; the Jianghu, the Brethren of the Coast, the Free Men of the Greenwood/Merry Men. Etc. Sure, they're robbers and thieves and cutthroats, but they're not 100 percent a dick.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's more about finding a way to represent communities not trusting you than a radically different approach. The same sort of problem with not meshing with the system kept coming up. I had a "shoot first" that didn't match the spotlight and attempts at a move for godfather favors that was something that already happens but with added consequences.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

chaos rhames posted:

It's more about finding a way to represent communities not trusting you than a radically different approach. The same sort of problem with not meshing with the system kept coming up. I had a "shoot first" that didn't match the spotlight and attempts at a move for godfather favors that was something that already happens but with added consequences.

I really like the Outlaw Fellowships being bands of heroic rogues, but if you wanted to do something different you could make their "Fellowship" be with the bad guys. Not in an "evil PC" kind of way, but in a "the Outlaw, even in the course of helping people, always manages to piss off the local authorities/Overlord's minions and can use that to her advantage" way. Fellowship benefits could be things like your own personal Jim Sterling who's always on your heels but who you can manipulate to your advantage or positive reputation with criminal elements because You Have the Death Sentence in Twelve Systems or whatever.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GimpInBlack posted:

I really like the Outlaw Fellowships being bands of heroic rogues, but if you wanted to do something different you could make their "Fellowship" be with the bad guys. Not in an "evil PC" kind of way, but in a "the Outlaw, even in the course of helping people, always manages to piss off the local authorities/Overlord's minions and can use that to her advantage" way. Fellowship benefits could be things like your own personal Jim Sterling who's always on your heels but who you can manipulate to your advantage or positive reputation with criminal elements because You Have the Death Sentence in Twelve Systems or whatever.

Having Robin Hoodness baked into the class is probably a better way of going than being a mafiosa. I've made a couple of changes and it's actually starting to work. Gnome7 is still miles ahead but there's some potential here.

The Outlaw

Agenda for you
Get rich
Give to the poor
Complete your organisation's goals

Your sense stat is +2

Shoot First
You've always got a plan, or can make a plan B really quickly. When you reveal the sneaky thing you just did, (holding a crossbow under the table, picking the lock on your handcuffs, etc), roll +sense.
On a 7+ You succeed, and the target is surprised by the sudden reversal.
On a 7-9, you've drawn the attention of those aside from who you just surprised.

Undermine Authority
For good or bad reasons, those in power don't take well to you. However, their dislike of you is something you can exploit.When you speak softly to someone with power over you, you have this extra option available.
-What did I just take from them they didn't want to give?

What is your business?
Professional criminal: You've been in the business of banditry/piracy/heisting for a while, and are an expert at crowd control through uncivil means. When you keep them busy through intimidation, you can give your target an order that they will obey to the best of their ability.
The Syndicate: Your organization has been working across the world, all based tightly upon the strength of your word. You obtain gear: 1 favor. You can call in your favor as a price in a talk sense roll, replacing whatever is offered.
The Revolution: Your ultimate goal is to cast off the yoke of oppression in all forms, which has given you many supporters among the downtrodden. The public will never betray you to the overlord or police.
Outcast: Your people are exiled from another community, and still know some of it's secrets, but changed by suffering. Take a core move from another playbook. Whatever stat it used before, it's +blood now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I like that, but instead of Outlaw, I feel like something a little more neutral would fit. Like the Rascal or the (oddly enough) Rogue.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Probably, but the tricky part is getting something with a community behind it.I might go with rogue, but leave it up in the air for a bit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

chaos rhames posted:

Probably, but the tricky part is getting something with a community behind it.I might go with rogue, but leave it up in the air for a bit.

What about leaving it dependent on another player?
Like how a Squire is from the same place as another fellowship member (Like Sam is to Frodo, naturally).
The Rogue would be like Merry and/or Pippen, troublemakers but not villains and they get wrapped up in the fellowship, becoming big drat heroes with a touch of han solo to taste

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm worried about undermining people's narratives. The heir's player might not appreciate another person adding on stories about how their family is first against the wall, or a halfling not wanting her community to try out the special pipeweed you've been selling. The tricky part of doing fellowship moves for the rogue is not stepping on other player's toes, because it can change the tone of the game by murkying the good/evil divide. That said, if I back down from Han Solo/Robin Hood it just turns into a halfling/squire hybrid and doesn't really do anything new.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

chaos rhames posted:

I'm worried about undermining people's narratives. The heir's player might not appreciate another person adding on stories about how their family is first against the wall, or a halfling not wanting her community to try out the special pipeweed you've been selling. The tricky part of doing fellowship moves for the rogue is not stepping on other player's toes, because it can change the tone of the game by murkying the good/evil divide. That said, if I back down from Han Solo/Robin Hood it just turns into a halfling/squire hybrid and doesn't really do anything new.

Does your idea of the Outlaw have a way to go loud? Like could I play some One Piece Luffy type pirate?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

chaos rhames posted:

Maybe the Outlaw is from the lands of the Overlord. They get to define what it's like to live under the Overlord's rule, cooperatively with the Overlord. I somehow doubt the Overlord's gonna be mad at any atrocities attributed to them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mors Rattus posted:

Maybe the Outlaw is from the lands of the Overlord. They get to define what it's like to live under the Overlord's rule, cooperatively with the Overlord. I somehow doubt the Overlord's gonna be mad at any atrocities attributed to them.

Move Name: Imperial Academy Dropout

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FicusArt posted:

Does your idea of the Outlaw have a way to go loud? Like could I play some One Piece Luffy type pirate?

I'd like to get that working a bit. You could do it easy with the outcast background taking the dwarf's move, but right now the class is more of a dashing rogue that subverts evil schemes than Luffy's shonen wrecking ball. You might be able to do Nami, Sanji and Robin, or maybe Joseph Joestar's brand of bullshit.

I made a Shonen move for luffying. It'll probably be advanced because it's quite similar to an orc one.

Burning Justice
You are enraged by the suffering of others. When a grave injustice is committed to one of your companions, you can use that as an advantage for the purpose of Finish Him.

Mors Rattus posted:

Why the gently caress did I not think of this. I've got to rework a bit but it fits a lot better and doesn't mess with other players.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

chaos rhames posted:

Why the gently caress did I not think of this. I've got to rework a bit but it fits a lot better and doesn't mess with other players.

I was bored and had a similar idea, so I came up with some rough sketches for various aspects of a playbook for a character from the Overlord's lands. Not sure if they'd fit the theme you're going for, but feel free to poach them if you like. I have no plans to make a complete playbook.

For gear:
When you left the Overlord's lands, you brought something they would kill to have back. When you start the game, no one else knows you have this. Pick one:
-The Overlord's weakness, stuffed deep in your pack.
-A strange artifact (1 use, Useful, Dangerous) that you don't completely understand.
-Hastily scrawled notes on the Overlord's secret plans (1 use). When you Look Closely, use them to add the question "What here is valuable to the Overlord?" to your list of options.

For defining your people:
Number Appearing
For years your people were seen as little more than vermin by the “civilized” races. The Overlord's forces barely consider you more. When you pretend to be part of the Overlord's armies, no one short of the Overlord or one of his Generals will question your allegiance until you prove otherwise, and even they won't bother you unless they've met you before.

For Fellowship:
Inside Man
The community has ways of contacting other rebels within the Overlord's armies, who in turn have means of harassing them. When you recover in this community, the Overlord does not heal a Threat to the World or recover his gear.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So I really want to run this irl. Like, a lot. It's pretty obvious that this intended for a longer series of sessions, but do you have any advice for doing shorter games with this? My gaming groups don't always have time to meet regularly.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Green Intern posted:

So I really want to run this irl. Like, a lot. It's pretty obvious that this intended for a longer series of sessions, but do you have any advice for doing shorter games with this? My gaming groups don't always have time to meet regularly.

You'd want to make a big multicultural community rather than a bunch of single playbook-based ones. If you want to take out the overlord quickly, you need to take out 3 threats to the world, so that's 3 weaknesses, sources of power, big sacrifices or crazy plans. If you aren't going to reduce the overlord's hp you need to give access to enough resources to defeat him.

Here's a setup for a one shot, although it might take an entire afternoon.
It's set in The Capitol, the last great city standing in front of the overlord. It's full of many cultures and refugees from already conquered places. It was built on the ancient ruins of the Architects, and they have many secrets in the depths of the town that the overlord wants (aka a source of power)
The armies of the Overlord have reached the Silver Walls, and the city is under siege. Sentries have noticed that the Overlord's skeletal minions have been assembling into a massive humanoid shape.
The squire has found out that the black glass eye he found in the wandering bazaar once belonged to the Blind Prophets who raised him, and will let him see the true form of the overlord, if someone makes space for it. (A weakness)
The Fellowship discovers that the Architects built the city around a massive wellspring of liquid electricity, and the massive power hidden beneath is the overlord's greatest desire (Source of Power)
Time is running out, and the heroes need to dive into the heart of the ancient ruins, pursued by burrowing ghouls and the liche leading them. Once they find the Architect's great factory, they discover their greatest secret: The architects didn't build a city, they built a giant mechanical warrior to fight the overlord's titanic minions, and hid it from the world until the right time to use (now).

Edit: I've nearly finished a full draft of the Rogue/Outlaw/Scofflaw/Liberator/whatever. I just need a Fellowship move for throwing the wildest party ever but I'm pretty stuck. Any suggestions?

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

First full draft of the Mask is ready. Play as Dashing Rogues, Master Criminals, Hot-headed freedom lovers or Batman. One day it'll get formatting, art and general improvements.

Edit: It's a google Doc now

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 19, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That's a great skin!

For the "Grand Entrance" move, I'd add the phrase "If at all possible". Otherwise, you'll never need to make daring prison escapes, and that's a missed opportunity.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've changed it to not work if you've been Taken Out, to cover a lot of bases. Now you can't use this move to escape from death, capture, sealing yourself in a magical circle on the moon to fight off aliens for eternity and other likely ends. One of the big ideas behind the Mask is that you thrive in dangerous situations, but aren't especially good with getting out of it.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 20, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
First things first: The Mask rules, that is a good first fan playbook right there.

Second, a pretty big kickstarter update just went up. To everyone worried about only getting one vote, I got your back. I've got your back like, six times.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Now we just have to get it up to 26,000 dollars.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Mors Rattus posted:

Now we just have to get it up to 26,000 dollars.

Might be a little tricky. But I think it would be wonderful if we could reach that lofty number.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That seems like a really hard to reach goal. The kickstarter's more than halfway and it's 2/5ths there. I guess art, layouts, publishing takes plenty of money to do, so it seems like a pretty good deal overall. It'd be really great if it did happen, an alternate Overlord would be pretty sick.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Would he alternate Overlord be something that still might occur in its own pdf sometime down the line if its not funded? Its sounds pretty cool

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Please set up a kickstarter later for playing against The Empire overlord. That is probably the best pitch I've ever heard w/r/t an rpg system.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Would he alternate Overlord be something that still might occur in its own pdf sometime down the line if its not funded? Its sounds pretty cool

It might, but it's not definite. A lot of the voter playbooks may happen anyway, but they probably won't have nearly so nice art because art costs money and this kickstarter is basically all of my income for the next while. I want to keep writing for Fellowship and it'll definitely be something I might write a small thing for between other projects, but once I'm done with everything from the kickstarter I'll probably move on to something else. I've got like, 3 other games partially written and at least two of them are really really good so one of those would be next after this.

So it's a very tall Maybe, and an alt-Overlord is definitely the hardest of these stretch goals to fulfill so its pretty low on the list of things that will get made if we don't fund it. And anything that I do make extra for Fellowship after the kickstarter would be a separate release that would cost money.

Higher on the list for things I'd make later would be to convert Inverse World over to Fellowship's ruleset, with another alt-Overlord playbook - the Horizon. The Horizon would be a non-hostile entity representing the dangers of exploration and the thrill of discovery, with an eventual "defeat" caused by the players finding the thing that puts their names in the history books and gets them a happy retirement. It'd also have a few changed up basic moves/rules/principles to go with the change in perspective from "fighting evil" to "exploring the world".

This was also gonna be a stretch goal for the KS at like, 40k or something, but that isn't going to happen so. Might as well mention it here.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Gnome you're great! One of the giant moves allows them to be have anime muscles this is amazing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I love the idea of a Horizon Overlord substitute and would like to add my voice to the clamor for a supplement with more playbooks and alternate Overlords. I'd back the poo poo out of that Kickstarter too.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'm testing a website for running the Fellowship poll after the KS ends, for when we get to those voter tiers (we're definitely hitting at least one at this rate). I'd like as many votes thrown at this thing as possible, feel free to share the link around:

http://www.demochoice.org/dcgridhballot.php?poll=Fellowtest

This list of potential playbooks for the vote is near-final, I might add one more if I get a good suggestion from somebody but otherwise this'll be the list.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Just voted!

Here's the list of the current playbook concepts from the Kickstarter page for reference:

quote:

The Constructed, for playing as a hero who was created or built for this mission. They would be based heavily on Inverse World's Golem playbook.

The Dragon, for playing a descendant or chosen one of the great dragons, blessed with their power.

The Ghoul, for playing as a zombie, vampire, or similarly hungry undead creature. The core move I have in mind is for eating your enemies to regain your strength.

The Hatchling, a monster who has grown attached to someone in the fellowship and has the power to help them.

The Lizardfolk, a reptilian people who are famed hunters and sneaks. Chameleon people, kobolds, komodo dragons, etc.

The Pair, which would be about playing as two heroes from different peoples who are completely inseparable. Their core move would be for being in two places at once.

The Spider, which would be based lightly on The Drider playbook I wrote for Dungeon World.

The Spirit, for playing as a hero who has no physical form. Walk through walls, rearrange the environment, be really hard to hurt, and have a lot of trouble harming others.

And I would like to take this opportunity to push everyone to vote for The Hatchling. I think the concept would fit well with the way the game is structured and whoever suggested it is probably very smart and handsome it was me

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
Just had the chance to play the Giant in a game and I have to say, throwing two guys through a dragon was extremely satisfying. 10/10, would Giant again.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I don't know if the Ghoul or the Spirit would be the better fit for the idea, but I think that a neat archetype concept for a playbook would be one based around creating a now dead race or country, like the Dead Men of Dunharrow or Atlantean Ghosts (or Ikana Canyon to bring in video games). Right now the Ghoul and Spirit don't really seem like interesting pitches to me, since they're focused more on the individual character's physical abilities, but if they had more of a setting hook built into them I would back them in a heartbeat.

The "What is an [x]?" and "[x]'s Custom" section in this case could allow for choosing why your civilization is dead, or the nature of your personal survival (corporeal/incorporeal undead, time traveler, etc.) The generic "Half-[x]" custom in particular could be flavored as "you're from the ancestors of another player's civilization." Depending on what playbooks get voted on, I may have to write this up for myself when I have time.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I've played two sessions of this game, and so far I've had an amazing time for 100% of all sessions. I'm so glad that getting the unfinished rules is part of the donation deals.

I'm the Overlord in my group (who includes THE LESBIATHAN here), and today they met me for the first time, who basically all but ignored them as he hopped into a robo-dragon, batted them aside, and flew away grinning like a smug rear end in a top hat.

Everyone else did cool things too. Our Orc turns out to be a captain of industry and shot cannons at mages, while our Elf distracted horrible beasts using a siege drill long enough for our Giant to murder her way through them. Our harbinger basically disintegrated a large part of a building to stop said horrible beasties from getting their hands on said cannons. Fun was had by all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some thoughts on the Mask:

The Revolution option provides a very lackluster ability, comparatively. It's just not super interesting.

The Remnant is...interesting, but a lot of Core moves don't have a roll involved.

New Home is a problem in that it can't be taken in chargen because you haven't any Fellowship in chargen.

Trick Arrows is a problem because it requires you have a ranged weapon, but that's only an option from your Gear rather than automatic. If you're going to make a Custom that requires a specific piece of gear, have that gear be automatically part of your Gear.