Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I missed the Kickstarter so I'm wondering if there is an eta on the release of the Remnant. Fellowship quickly became the favorite of my group and we're thirsty for more playbooks! loving brilliant job on everything, by the way. It's a joy to run and I can't wait to play a character. Think I'm going to do the Dwarf as a sentient pygmy mastodon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Man I love fellowship but I'm just not gething the gm style it wants. I mean, being on irc doesn't help, but all the same.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FishFood posted:

I missed the Kickstarter so I'm wondering if there is an eta on the release of the Remnant.

I'm not entirely sure. It's mostly done, but I have some spare bits I need to finish and I've got a lot of other work I'm also doing lately, it's been very busy. It should be out Soon, but whether that's 2 weeks from now or 2 months from now really depends on how much everything else holds me up.

Neopie posted:

Man I love fellowship but I'm just not gething the gm style it wants. I mean, being on irc doesn't help, but all the same.

I'll be honest, I had this problem for a while too, even as I was writing the game. It wasn't really until I'd written both chapter 4 and the entirety of the Overlord Principles and Cuts section that I kinda got a handle on it. But basically its a game of good cop and bad cop - when the Overlord isn't around, you're the good cop. You're fans of their characters, you give them reasons to be cool, you let them shine. You still hit em when you need to or their actions lead to consequences, but for the most part, its their show, and you're setting up the world for them to knock it down.

Then the Overlord shows up, and now you're the bad cop. Now you're here to steal their toys and kick over their legos and let out a good evil laugh while doing it. You get to make hard cuts just because, you get to do whatever you want. As long as its the Overlord being the jerk, that's your excuse to be the hammiest villain in the world. And if they get one over on you anyway, well, that's just you earning your just desserts.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
It's not that so much as... Keeping the spotlight moving, which I'm not used to? I'm much more used to games where people... mostly do things as they think of them, and everyone is acting at once, and trying to handle spotlight felt like it slowed stuff down a lot? Like, in a good way, but I tried running say, the Spider Tank setpiece and it took the /entire four hour session/ to complete. Just... keeping the game moving and fluid and good.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oh yeah, ok. The Spotlight is just a more clear/codified way of describing the flow that most *World games have, because those sections in Apocalypse World and Dungeon World are always a little vague and unclear and difficult to follow, so I added a couple new terms to make it extra clear (the Spotlight and Cuts are the big ones). The spotlight is basically an extended metaphor for the flow of play, backed up with potentially a prop or some mental notes. If you find that keeping track of it is getting in the way, I'd recommend trying to play without giving it any mind and see how that goes.

Also, I know that set pieces are a big thing that's supposed to take a long time, potentially an entire session, but wow, I didn't expect any of them to take 4 hours. I'm not too surprised that if any of them were, though, that it'd be the Spider Tank - it is by far the most involved boss monster I've yet made.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FishFood posted:

I missed the Kickstarter so I'm wondering if there is an eta on the release of the Remnant. Fellowship quickly became the favorite of my group and we're thirsty for more playbooks! loving brilliant job on everything, by the way. It's a joy to run and I can't wait to play a character. Think I'm going to do the Dwarf as a sentient pygmy mastodon.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211187/The-Remnant--A-Fellowship-Expansion-Pack

The Remnant is here, and exists, and you can have it now!

Also form fillable PDFs of every playbook, those exist now also.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like the Death Hunter enemy has an ability that, uh, doesn't quite belong there, maybe I'm missing something.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I feel like the Death Hunter enemy has an ability that, uh, doesn't quite belong there, maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, also the Contagious move is mentioned but as far as I can tell doesn't actually exist.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
These are the kinds of things that happen when you publish something right after working on it all night because you couldn't sleep.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I straight forgot to finish writing that stat block and didn't notice.

Astro Ambulance posted:

Yeah, also the Contagious move is mentioned but as far as I can tell doesn't actually exist.

Contagious is a bad move I removed for being bad, but I forgot I wrote its Companion text around it.

I'll have those updated real soon.

EDIT: Aaaand updated! That was a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 4, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hell yes Remnant, and hell yes fillable pdfs

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

gnome7 posted:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211187/The-Remnant--A-Fellowship-Expansion-Pack

The Remnant is here, and exists, and you can have it now!

Also form fillable PDFs of every playbook, those exist now also.

:yayclod:

Hooray! Looks rad and I like the errata. One of my players is already itching to play a remnant.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

One of my players picked the Heir, and flavored her as an awoken queen from a long-forgotten desert kingdom. I'll have to take a look, but Slshe might be interested in some of the moves from Remnant.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Hell yeah gnome well done

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gnome7 posted:

These are the kinds of things that happen when you publish something right after working on it all night because you couldn't sleep.

Yeah I straight forgot to finish writing that stat block and didn't notice.

Contagious is a bad move I removed for being bad, but I forgot I wrote its Companion text around it.

I'll have those updated real soon.

EDIT: Aaaand updated! That was a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

haha I knew the minute you said there'd be errata to the Heir's playbook what it would be. It's a great improvement.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

What breaks if I let a [Powerful] Harbinger or Giant take a 'destiny move' that lets them have more than 1 bond with people, to represent them growing close to the masses and mere mortals as they've gone on their adventures?

I'm seriously asking, because I don't know if something means this is a terrible idea.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Nothing breaks. They gain the ability to have more Bonds! Hooray.

The main benefit of bonds is that they make it easier to use teamwork and get Hope on your rolls. Bonds are easily lost + gained, so only having one bond makes you vulnerable to having that bond removed and your ability to work as a team also removed. The Harbinger and Giant only get one Bond because they're loner playbooks who can solve problems by themselves, usually at great cost/collateral damage. Removing this limit just makes them more reliable teammates.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I figured. I just didn't know if there was anything beyond that to keep them limited. Thanks for the quick answer.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So uh, is the Final Form's advance to increase blood to +3 supposed to be worded that way?

Because as it is now, it's a destiny advance that can let someone with -1 blood become +3 blood, as long as they've made fellowship with a Dragon.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

KittyEmpress posted:

So uh, is the Final Form's advance to increase blood to +3 supposed to be worded that way?

Because as it is now, it's a destiny advance that can let someone with -1 blood become +3 blood, as long as they've made fellowship with a Dragon.

Oh, yeah, oops. All of those playbook-specific Destinies do that now. I'm inclined to not worry about it too much, because by the time everyone's getting Destinies the campaign should be nearing its end. But its probably a bit much to be able to have a player with three +3 stats, so here's some optional errata for you.

Destiny Playbook Errata posted:

Change all of the "increase your [stat] to +3" advancement options with the following:

> Increase one of your stats by +1 (to a maximum of +3), OR take a custom move from this Destiny.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
So I've started an actual play of Fellowship for Six Feats Under. I think I remember someone asking about finding one of those in here. But even if no one did, this campaign features the first release of The Ship playbook, which gives the heroes a car or space ship to explore the world in. You can get it for free in the links at the top of the page.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Also, The Spider is now available for sale, if new expansions are your thing. This is the first expansion post-kickstarter, so there's a little less art than I'd like, but I think the content's quality is top notch, and this is my current favorite playbook in the whole game.

This expansion adds Traps to the game, which reward preparation by letting you freely trigger them later. You can't use them without preparation, but they work without exception, giving you more tools that simply do a thing without any chance for failure. The Spider is the best at traps, having a whole suite of unique traps called Webs, which they prepare in advance and then decide exactly which ones were prepared when they need to use them.

This expansion also adds some new Threat Modifications for the Overlord to play with. There were a few of these in the base game, entirely under the Scourge army, that made other threats into zombies or skeletons or what-have-you. This one adds Gigantic, Tiny, and Venomous, which modify a threat exactly how you'd think they do.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

99% sure the mantis has the wrong flavor text :v

also manipulate gets mentioned a couple times and is not defined, don't know if that's intentional or not

playbook looks fun tho

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Manipulate is one of the core Webs that lets you perform environmental shenanigans.

Is it intentional that Grasshopper is just a straight-up better version of Mighty Leap? You get the same jump everywhere powers, plus either a new Web or two uses of Pounce as gear. It's also on a basic playbook, so people can grab that with a cross-culture move if they want.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It is intentional, yes. Sorta.

See, the main thing with Pounce is that it mostly lets you do things you could do without Pounce anyway, at least as the Spider. The Escape Route web option also lets you quickly avoid their action by moving out of the way. You can already jump on top of enemies with just the first part of the move, letting you jump to anywhere you can see. Pounce just combines both of those parts into a single Web.

Now, it is definitely a better move in the hands of a non-Spider, although Pounce still becomes awkward for them to use. Without the Web currency, you actually need to prepare a Pounce in advance. So while this is still technically better than Mighty Leap, it isn't significantly so, except in the hands of a Halfling who can use The Little Folk to set a trap in the middle of a situation.

And lastly, IMO the Giant is probably the worst designed playbook in the game and I'm not very happy with it in hindsight, so I'm not going to use it as a measuring stick for future content. Like, its still mostly fine, but it doesn't play well with pretty much anything else in the game and I don't know how to really fix that. I am fine with playbooks using their single multi-class move to take Grasshopper and with Grasshopper being a technical strict upgrade over Mighty Leap, because its better in a way that makes the move more interesting.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

gnome7 posted:

See, the main thing with Pounce is that it mostly lets you do things you could do without Pounce anyway, at least as the Spider. The Escape Route web option also lets you quickly avoid their action by moving out of the way. You can already jump on top of enemies with just the first part of the move, letting you jump to anywhere you can see. Pounce just combines both of those parts into a single Web.

Now, it is definitely a better move in the hands of a non-Spider, although Pounce still becomes awkward for them to use. Without the Web currency, you actually need to prepare a Pounce in advance. So while this is still technically better than Mighty Leap, it isn't significantly so, except in the hands of a Halfling who can use The Little Folk to set a trap in the middle of a situation.

And lastly, IMO the Giant is probably the worst designed playbook in the game and I'm not very happy with it in hindsight, so I'm not going to use it as a measuring stick for future content. Like, its still mostly fine, but it doesn't play well with pretty much anything else in the game and I don't know how to really fix that. I am fine with playbooks using their single multi-class move to take Grasshopper and with Grasshopper being a technical strict upgrade over Mighty Leap, because its better in a way that makes the move more interesting.

I really like the giant's concept, so, I'd be curious about what you'd say the issues with it were?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

gnome7 posted:

Huh, interesting. I appreciate the clarification and thoughts behind everything. I definitely agree that Pounce-as-gear is extremely situational, though depending on how you fluff it you can still use it to Pay a Price which can be pretty handy in and of itself.

Do you envision Widow's Kiss serving as a potential Advantage or should its impact be limited to just the mechanics outlined in the move itself?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

spectralent posted:

I really like the giant's concept, so, I'd be curious about what you'd say the issues with it were?

I think the biggest issue is that its actually really hard to play around the scale difference. Like when you make a Giant of the Hills or a Giant of Spirit, its fine, you basically play in the same ballpark as everyone else, you can mostly stick with the party wherever. Because of course the two options that play best with everyone else are the ones that both remove one of the aspects of the playbook that doesn't play well with others. Like if your huge-ness is just that you're twice the size of everyone else, it works out fine.

The problem is the power of Command Lore doesn't limit you to that, at all. You can be 200 feet tall. You can literally be a mountain, and the playbook promises that this is okay. But in practice, it doesn't really work. There isn't any reasonable way to limit someone that big and strong. A lot of things can be easily solved by massive size and strength. But then, being that large also means there are a lot of situations where you can't do anything at all. You just have to sit out if the Overlord ends up having an underground base the rest of the party wants to raid. Your massive hugeness means you can never do a sneaking mission or an ambush to mix things up, so while locking out options is a reasonable downside, its also a downside that reduces interesting play options.

Like mechanically I think the playbook is pretty much fine, its just in a weird place where it promises you a lot of things that, if you actually take those promises, ends up creating a hero who doesn't work well with the framework of the game. Play as Ogres and Oni and Ents and it works fine. Play as mountains and legendary figures and actual giants, which are a huge draw of the playbook, and things fall apart. Which is a huge shame and I don't know how to fix it, because it just promises something the playbook doesn't deliver.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

gnome7 posted:

I think the biggest issue is that its actually really hard to play around the scale difference. Like when you make a Giant of the Hills or a Giant of Spirit, its fine, you basically play in the same ballpark as everyone else, you can mostly stick with the party wherever. Because of course the two options that play best with everyone else are the ones that both remove one of the aspects of the playbook that doesn't play well with others. Like if your huge-ness is just that you're twice the size of everyone else, it works out fine.

The problem is the power of Command Lore doesn't limit you to that, at all. You can be 200 feet tall. You can literally be a mountain, and the playbook promises that this is okay. But in practice, it doesn't really work. There isn't any reasonable way to limit someone that big and strong. A lot of things can be easily solved by massive size and strength. But then, being that large also means there are a lot of situations where you can't do anything at all. You just have to sit out if the Overlord ends up having an underground base the rest of the party wants to raid. Your massive hugeness means you can never do a sneaking mission or an ambush to mix things up, so while locking out options is a reasonable downside, its also a downside that reduces interesting play options.

Like mechanically I think the playbook is pretty much fine, its just in a weird place where it promises you a lot of things that, if you actually take those promises, ends up creating a hero who doesn't work well with the framework of the game. Play as Ogres and Oni and Ents and it works fine. Play as mountains and legendary figures and actual giants, which are a huge draw of the playbook, and things fall apart. Which is a huge shame and I don't know how to fix it, because it just promises something the playbook doesn't deliver.

The way I pitched a legend-giant was that their height was "Bigger than you", so her head pokes above treetops when they're walking through a forest but when they get to an inn she's "merely" bending down not to bump her head, and such. It felt like a reasonable fluff of Giants of Myth.

That said I can kind of see the issue if your deal is being 200ft tall and always be that size.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well in the case of raiding an underground base the giant could just reach in and pull the whole base out into the open.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ryuujin posted:

Well in the case of raiding an underground base the giant could just reach in and pull the whole base out into the open.

That's sort of the problem isn't it? Either the giant rips apart the menace without a sweat, or they can't participate at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gnome7 posted:

Also, The Spider is now available for sale, if new expansions are your thing. This is the first expansion post-kickstarter, so there's a little less art than I'd like, but I think the content's quality is top notch, and this is my current favorite playbook in the whole game.

This expansion adds Traps to the game, which reward preparation by letting you freely trigger them later. You can't use them without preparation, but they work without exception, giving you more tools that simply do a thing without any chance for failure. The Spider is the best at traps, having a whole suite of unique traps called Webs, which they prepare in advance and then decide exactly which ones were prepared when they need to use them.

This expansion also adds some new Threat Modifications for the Overlord to play with. There were a few of these in the base game, entirely under the Scourge army, that made other threats into zombies or skeletons or what-have-you. This one adds Gigantic, Tiny, and Venomous, which modify a threat exactly how you'd think they do.

I didn't know you were going to do post-KS content for Fellowship. What is the over/under on you doing that second Overlord playbook that was a stretch goal in the KS that never got reached? The Empire playbook?

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

We did character generation for a new game tonight, and the Giant (of Myth) got around the scale problem by taking the halfling move "Lived in a Shoe", so I guess geometry is more of a suggestion to them now.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

spectralent posted:

The way I pitched a legend-giant was that their height was "Bigger than you", so her head pokes above treetops when they're walking through a forest but when they get to an inn she's "merely" bending down not to bump her head, and such. It felt like a reasonable fluff of Giants of Myth.

That said I can kind of see the issue if your deal is being 200ft tall and always be that size.

I am now picturing Ira Gamagori, Giant of Myth.

It works surprisingly well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Covok posted:

I didn't know you were going to do post-KS content for Fellowship. What is the over/under on you doing that second Overlord playbook that was a stretch goal in the KS that never got reached? The Empire playbook?

Pretty likely at some point, but I've got two other Fellowship things coming first. The Pair is going to be coming soon, and then after that I'm going to be working on an Inverse World Fellowship expansion, which I'll be doing a kickstarter for because I need cash.

The Pair: A coupla swashbucklers or musketeer types who work together to accomplish amazing things. Play as a teacher and their student(s), a pair of star-crossed lovers, or a Gimli/Legolas rivals situation. I just checked on this to see how far along it was and oops its basically done, I have no idea when I did that. So this'll be coming very soon, I just need to get art done for it.

Inverse Fellowship: Four new hero playbooks (The Angel, The Collector, The Lantern, and The Rain), The Ship playbook (which you can find an initial draft of [url=]over on the six feats under campaign page[/url]), and an alternate Overlord playbook, The Horizon, which is about playing a world of exploration. No major enemy or driving oppressive atmosphere, just the long road ahead. Stretch goals would be to add some more Inverse World playbooks to the book (Walker, Survivor, Captain maybe).

And then after those, The Empire is probably next? But it may be a ways off, Inverse Fellowship will take time.

I have a busy summer ahead of me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I really love the giant but I was playing a big legendary dude, around 7-8 but twice the size of any other kobold.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Horizon will be really useful to eyeball for the still occasionally prodded at Castaway playbook/Portal Fantasy hack thing I've been trying to write for ages but keep getting distracted from.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Does The Pair also support a rider/steed or pet/owner relationship?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

unseenlibrarian posted:

I am now picturing Ira Gamagori, Giant of Myth.

It works surprisingly well.

That was basically where I got the concept from :v:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gnome7 posted:

Pretty likely at some point, but I've got two other Fellowship things coming first. The Pair is going to be coming soon, and then after that I'm going to be working on an Inverse World Fellowship expansion, which I'll be doing a kickstarter for because I need cash.

The Pair: A coupla swashbucklers or musketeer types who work together to accomplish amazing things. Play as a teacher and their student(s), a pair of star-crossed lovers, or a Gimli/Legolas rivals situation. I just checked on this to see how far along it was and oops its basically done, I have no idea when I did that. So this'll be coming very soon, I just need to get art done for it.

Inverse Fellowship: Four new hero playbooks (The Angel, The Collector, The Lantern, and The Rain), The Ship playbook (which you can find an initial draft of [url=]over on the six feats under campaign page[/url]), and an alternate Overlord playbook, The Horizon, which is about playing a world of exploration. No major enemy or driving oppressive atmosphere, just the long road ahead. Stretch goals would be to add some more Inverse World playbooks to the book (Walker, Survivor, Captain maybe).

And then after those, The Empire is probably next? But it may be a ways off, Inverse Fellowship will take time.

I have a busy summer ahead of me.

I've never done anything with Inverse World but I am definitely excited about this just for the Horizon Overlord. Thanks for letting us know it's on the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

Is there any chance of art-free playbooks being published for the expansions, like exist for the core fellowship?

As a more general query, I'm having trouble settling on the wording for one of my Overlord's stats. Currently it looks like this:

quote:

Invisible Hand of the Market: Whatever my opponents need, its price is more than they can afford
She is supposed to be a more subtle, political figure as foil to a very direct fellowship. I'm not sure if the above is really powerful enough, though. Anyone have any thoughts?