Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

homullus posted:

You could probably even run Fellowship in Invells, with a little care and reskinning the racial playbooks as island nations.

I would like to see the section on being Taken Out fleshed out more. The "fellowship vs. overlord" genre is full of cases where at least one of their number doesn't make it, whether it be by noble sacrifice or dark betrayal or bad luck. Like, the section alludes to that, but I feel there should be incentive for a player to allow the Empire to Strike Back and a mechanism for how that is going to work out.

There's one part of the book that mentions if you get taken out and decide you're dying, you can describe Death and what it offers you in exchange for your life, and whether or not you take that deal. I think that's a cool way for a PC's death to always have some meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
You misread that, it explicitly mentions that if you take the deal, "you are most certainly dead."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Impermanent posted:

Yeah it'd be interesting to see if there are moves in the book about succumbing to the temptation to backstab an ally for power.

Well, each player does have their own Agenda. Obviously Boromir's Agenda was all about helping out his people and getting them whatever advantage possible against the Overlord. Even if that meant using one of the Overlord's Threats to the World against him.

Actually, the Overlord custom move "And In The Darkness Bind Them" is all about tempting players with power, because it gives them the Agenda "Spread Chaos" if they hold it, but in return they get a Threat to the World for themselves.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Clockwurke Bear posted:

So I really love this system and the idea of narrative holding such sway over all the mechanics, but I'm a little confused on "Finish Them" in relation to some threats. It may be me being very dense, but I'm curious about how strong the second phase of the Kraken or things with Tough as Nails are with the 10+ being to Destroy them and no other visible way to damage them. I'm definitely down on combat not always being hyper combative, but with the not unlikely turn of event that this happens are the threats just intended to resolve as smoothly as that?

For the Kraken's second phase (assuming a standard fight sequence and not "Let's make friends with the sea monster"), the players have to target the eye of the Kraken, and in order to use Finish Them, they need to have some sort of advantage. Exactly what would be an advantage depends on the group and what the players are trying to do, but the Kraken's "Right in the Eye" threat mentions that the eye is constantly moving around, is hard to hit with ranged weapons, and will probably require someone to climb on top of it. So the first step could be the players trying to go Shadow of the Colossus on the Kraken, with maybe one or two actually climbing it while the others try to distract or Keep Busy the Kraken so it doesn't grab the climbers with its tentacles. Then you need to find some way to get the eye to stop moving around so much, and if you somehow pin it in place you could easily claim to have an advantage that lets you stab the eye, letting you roll to Finish Them.

Of course, that's only one way of how that fight could go down, no one is forced to fight it in only one way. It really depends on the group for how these set piece fights play out.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

So quick question which may have already been addressed: Generals, for the most part, just act exactly like their minion counterparts except they are Threats To The World. I get that. But do Threats To The World get any special rules about not getting immediately chumped by a 10+ Finish Them roll? I feel like if you build a General, and they're a big threat, it's kind of... silly and against the spirit of the thing that a Fellowship member can just immediately put them down at the very start of an encounter.

Remember that every time the Overlord could advance their plans, they could instead get a new General, so they are somewhat replaceable. Generals aren't really dangerous because of how powerful they are, but because they represent the Overlord and extend their master's influence. They can also form bonds with the Fellowship, and use Heart of Iron to make a player automatically fail a roll, and then the General both gets the spotlight and Twists the Knife against that player, which always lets you make a Hard Cut against them. So a General isn't dangerous because he can fight off the entire Fellowship on his own (he probably can't), but because he doesn't actually need to be in the same room as the Fellowship to form Bonds with them to use later. If left alone, a General can inflict harm against a PC's people, which lets the General Forge a Bond even if the two have never met.