Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I still fondly remember the races the players in my playtest campaign came up with.

Dwarves: Psychotic ultra-libertarian nationalists, who came in a Hill Dwarf (darkvision) and Mer-Dwarf (gills) varieties. Declared Race Wars against basically everyone as often as they could, as soon as they thought they might be able to take stuff off them. Had Lust For Gold And Power as a genetic trait and were all around back-stabbing megabastards who would have been the bad guys in a different game. Basically, they're the dwarves from Dwarf Fortress. Unreasonable, aggressive and slightly mental. Their proprietary magic is a form of muscle wizardry, enhancing their physical strength and endurance.

Halflings: Nomadic sorta-Kender who have no concept of personal property and spend their entire lives stealing everything they can get their filthy, pint-sized hands on. Physically incapable of feeling fear and so have a massively short lifespan. Their capital city, Boarbulon, is a roving caravanserai on the backs of the giant boars that Halflings breed. Contains one of the greatest libraries in the world, as it has all kinds of ancient and hard to find tomes that the halflings have stolen over the years. Boarbulon makes the same circuit of the land year after year. Smaller shard caravans make up the other Halfling "towns". There is a subrace called Three-quarterlings who are the same height but twice as wide. They are used exclusively to steal from Orcs.

Orcs: An artificial warrior race from the ancient world. Individual Orcs happen when an Orc injects some of his blood into a corpse, which then mutates into an eight foot, grey skinned, heavily muscled supersoldier. Orcs are born as adults and do not age, but the Orc population as a whole undergoes statistical apoptosis as a given percentage of Orcs just keel over dead each year. They survive exclusively on ambient magic and don't need to eat or drink. Each Orc is born with the languages and knowledges they need to survive as a warrior, but constantly look for ways to improve. When an Orc regiment invents a particularly good new tactic or weapon, one of the Orcs volunteers to travel around "patching" all other Orc regiments it finds - thereby increasing the combat effectiveness of the Orc race as a whole. Orcs form into warrior regiments which then sell their services to the highest bidder - there are no Orc settlements or civilians, every member of the race either belongs to one of these warbands or has decided to split off and go on a pilgrimage to attempt to form their own warband. Most warfare in the setting involves pitting Orc regiments against each other, because hey ho they're good at it.

Elves: Elves are immortal scientists who spend alternate periods travelling the world to find new knowledge and then remaining cloistered in elf settlements to write up all they've discovered. Their immortality comes from them actually being frozen in time, a trait which their craftwork inherits - elven items are strange, unchanging and static. Have their own form of nature magic exclusive to them, and live in forest cities grown from living wood which are permanently shrouded from the sight of non-elves. Elves are peaceful but not pacifistic - they defend their nation and their forests against dwarven and human aggression on a regular basis, but rarely if ever actually invade anyone. Most elves are highly individualistic and somewhat lonesome, with their government being one based on age and experience - more an advisory council of elders thing than a single strong leader.

Humans: Have a pseudo-hivemind where the emotional states of all humans in an area are averaged. I've posted about these guys on TG before. Split into two large empires which are constantly at war with one another - humans as a race are fairly warlike, as it's very difficult for them to stop fighting against a target the race has decided is the enemy. On an individual level, humans are perfectly reasonable people, but individuals find it very difficult to avoid along with the crowd.

Slaugth: Matriarchal, caste-based lizardpeople who are a single contiguous empire under the rulership of a single (enormous dinosaur) Queen. Different subraces of lizard are different castes in their society, which is highly ordered and regimented. Slaugth have the slightly unusual ability that they do not (and cannot) speak, but if they lock eyes with you they can communicate telepathically regardless of language barriers. Slaugth Diplomat caste are very highly in demand as interpreters and emissaries, for obvious reasons. The Slaugth are somewhat xenophobic, but not aggressive. They are considered aloof, and their empire tends to stick to its own affairs and the enigmatic long term plans of the Queen. They don't have any problem defending themselves from Dwarvish aggression, though.

Morrigi: Strange tribal nomads who live in the northern desert. They are anteater-people who vary rarely leave their territory and don't have much of a civilisation as far as the southern races know. Morrigi are varely rarely seen in groups and are not often seen at all, even in their own lands, thanks to their highly unusual racial trait - they can teleport. Morrigi are actually dual-natured beings which live mostly inside their own dream-dimension, occasionally stepping out into the real world when curiosity strikes them. All their actual settlements live in the dream, which is why nobody has ever found them. Their "teleportation" is actually them stepping into and out of the dream, where time flows differently. Peaceful and spiritual, they have little to no interest in the real world.

Blind Seers: A race of only a few hundred members. They are immortal, constantly reincarnating in the caves under their sole monastery whenever they die. Every time they reincarnate, they are born with a new, complete prophecy. Each Seer spends each one of its lives travelling alone, trying to fulfill or prevent their prophecy depending on how bad it is. They have very strange and very powerful magics and their words are usually given great attention from the other races. When a Blind Seer shows up in town prophecying doom, you get off your rear end and do what it says.

The Overlord in this campaign was called Arendhel the Corruptor, and his thing was that he was bound to the corrupted Tree of Life at the heart of creation, and spread his corruption as a cloud of miasma that mutated people and turned them evil. The southern human empire and the Slaugth had historically held him in check, but the campaign began with two disasters occuring: The Witch-Queen of the Southern Empire declared her loyalty to Arendhel and starting reaping chaos and destruction while simultaneously The Dragon's Tooth - the mountain where Arendhel made his home - took the gently caress off into the skies and flew away, making a mockery of the defenses that the races had arrayed against him over the millennia. I had good fun coming up with evil versions of each of the races - they had their respective racial traits inverted - humans were cut off from the hivemind and became a black, emotionless void. Dwarves had the opposite and formed ten-to-twenty person collective consciousnesses. Halflings became Darklings, who had illusion powers and really liked stealing people's lives. Orcs lost most of their minds and became individual, mutated killing machines instead of the team-based soldiers they used to be. Slaugth got psychic powers which they use to psychically violate people. Blind Seers only get prophecies of doom, but want to fulfill them. The Elves' immortality becomes time control. Morrigi can drag people into the dream and make it become a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Is that the kind of stuff that can be fixed? Obviously it's too late for the people who already have their PoD books, but surely the files they're printing can be updated to ensure that future prints don't have these problems?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
My girlfriend is starting up a Fellowship game and I'm playing the Heir. I could not find anywhere in the book what the stats for the Sibling Companion do. I'm assuming Noble Bearing is the same as my Custom and I'm guessing Just As Good As You Are also gives them one of my customs? That's just a guess though. I wish it was easier to find the Companion stats. Same for some of the vehicle stats like 20 Horsepower and Loud and Fast for the Guzzler - I don't see descriptions of them anywhere.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

That's the entire stat. Companions don't use the extended stat description in the Threats chapter except when they are threatening you, as an enemy. All that text after the name of the stat? That's only for fighting them.

Companion stats are just the name. When you want a companion to do something for you, you damage an applicable stat and they go do that thing. For example, your sibling is Just As Good As You Are, so you can ask them to go do anything you could do. Then you damage that stat and they'll go do it, and usually succeed.

This is on page 32, and also on page 184 halfway down the page. The fact that the Threats are not kept once they become Companions is only mentioned in that one paragraph on page 184, and its something I intend to clarify in book 2.

Ahh, nice. Thanks my dude. Do you need to damage a stat to get a Companion to go do something and/or have them succeed at it? Or is damaging a stat the equivalent for when you'd need to roll a move? For example, would I need to damage Just As Good As You Are to get my sibling to do anything vaguely kingly?

As ever with Fellowship, I'm immediately loving the worldbuilding and character building people do without any prompting. Our Fellowship is:

First of the Many, the Heir of the Stalwart Defenders. Their race is The Many, a kingdom of former humans who were transformed into reincarnating semi-undead constructs who live in a highly regimented caste-based society. Their culture as a whole chose to be transformed to allow them to survive against the onslaughts of the Overlord, who comes from the Blight within their lands. They hold an eternal vigil, keeping their magical watchfires lit to stop the Blight spreading. The watchfires have just failed.

Li Bao, the Stoneborn Dwarf. The Dwarves are an Imperial China-themed empire of craftsmen, artists and scholars who live in vast and glittering subterranean cities in the mountain. Their god, the Celestial Dragon, created them to produce great works of art and crafts to make its Creation more appealing. They jealously protect their works - to be gifted an item crafted by a Dwarf is tantamount to them admitting that they trust you and your family to keep it safe for all time. They have an age old animosity with the Orcs, who destroy as much as they build. The greatest aspiration a Dwarf has is to turn something ugly and meaningless into something beautiful and historic. Parts of the world are littered with the remains of ancient and vast Dwarven geoengineering projects to make the landscape more appealing to the Celestial Dragon - often by carving mountains into its likeness.

Xylaria, the Spawn of Darkness Orc. The Orcs are a fungal people who are grown from spores cultivated in the magical light of a rare and mystical firefly. The Orcish capital is built around a mysterious glass sphere containing millions of these fireflies and Orc settlements are always built around Creches containing a single firefly from the great orb. Orcs believe in recycling and reusing whatever is old, outdated or not fit for purpose and replacing it with something new and better. They are prominent farmers, and Orcish agriculture feeds most of the world. They used to have a sprawling empire, but it succumbed to hedonism and decadence. Even today, Orcs try to reclaim their former greatness.

Rowan, Seer of the Mists, the Blind Prophet Harbinger. The Harbingers, also known as the Witches or the Seers, are a mysterious plant-based people who travel the world spreading prophecies and advising the other races on the murky future. Their society revolves around protecting the Deeproot, the root system of the great World Tree which lets their people travel across the entire world unseen and unhindered. Their few settlements are found far away from prying eyes and even the Seers who associate with other races tend to live in seclusion and avoid over-familiarity.

All we know about our Overlord so far is that she is named Lalangr, the Nightmare from Beyond; that she spreads a pestilential Blight wherever she goes and that her weakness, the mysterious Veil of Sunshine, has been found in the possession of Rowan.