Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tolkien-Fellowship doesn't appeal to me as much, but the rules are obviously pretty flexible. I think Rat Queens-Fellowship would be a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Error 404 posted:

But can I play a Smidgen?

Cross out "Halfling" and write "Smidgen" and then cross out "pipe leaf" and replace it with "assortment of psychedelics" and you're set to be Betty.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gnome7 posted:

This is very encouraging to hear! I am glad you had such a good time with Inverse World, and I can only hope you are equally pleased with Fellowship.

You could probably even run Fellowship in Invells, with a little care and reskinning the racial playbooks as island nations.

I would like to see the section on being Taken Out fleshed out more. The "fellowship vs. overlord" genre is full of cases where at least one of their number doesn't make it, whether it be by noble sacrifice or dark betrayal or bad luck. Like, the section alludes to that, but I feel there should be incentive for a player to allow the Empire to Strike Back and a mechanism for how that is going to work out.

homullus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 14, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Astus posted:

There's one part of the book that mentions if you get taken out and decide you're dying, you can describe Death and what it offers you in exchange for your life, and whether or not you take that deal. I think that's a cool way for a PC's death to always have some meaning.

Right, I re-read that before posting. That's what Death wants if you want to keep living. While it gives you an interesting "turn" to your character, that doesn't address or provide an alternative incentive for dying. The only incentive to die currently is "it's better than the deal Death was offering."

Edit: Like, Gandalf and Boromir both get Taken Out. Gandalf literally describes Death and obviously takes the deal offered. Boromir does not. Fellowship does not currently give a player reason or incentive to make the Boromir choice, aside from either not liking what Death offers or actually just wanting to run a different playbook. It needs to be the player's choice for the PC to die, but I think there should be . . . something. Something else that involves the other players and the Overlord.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 14, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Astus posted:

You misread that, it explicitly mentions that if you take the deal, "you are most certainly dead."

You're right: I totally misread it. My larger point still stands: there is no guidance or information about why I would ever want to be Boromir, other than my life is valuable, so Death can offer me something. What can I say Death offers? Does it need to be tied to Communities, the fellowship, the Generals, or my Companions? Are there limits? Does the Overlord have any say? If I accept, am I making one of my Companions into a PC?

I get that this game is best suited to people who have played Dungeon World or other PbtA games, but it was a glaring hole in Dungeon World (though the reverse of this) and it's a glaring hole here, and it's likely this will be somebody's first such game. There's good guidance for the Overlord on playing to entertain, there's good guidance for the players on spotlight use; the death of a PC should involve both entertaining the whole group and clearly involves the spotlight. And then, there's the question of the next character. There doesn't need to be a chapter on this, but a paragraph of guidance -- even if it's "some groups will do X, others will do Y" -- would really help.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

Boromir absolutely took the deal Death offered, and the deal was "redeem yourself for betraying Frodo and live just long enough to tell Aragorn that the orcs took Merry and Pippin alive."

I was still misunderstanding the move when I wrote that, but . . . why would Boromir's player choose that, when he could opt to not be dying at all and still tell Aragorn? Do you see what I mean about incentive? I think there needs to be more there to make PC death an attractive-but-rare option.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Perhaps his offer was for Merry and Pippin to be taken alive, not dead.

If Merry and Pippin are Companions, perhaps -- and maybe Boromir's player promotes one of them to his or her PC . . . but then both get elevated to PC status. Otherwise, avoiding death would be 100% under the control of Merry and Pippin's players.

GimpInBlack posted:

Because by not dying he doesn't redeem himself for his earlier failure with Frodo and the Ring, which is clearly a huge part of Boromir's player's goal for the story. There's also the "fiction first" mantra to consider: Boromir is Taken Out by a vast army of bloodthirsty Uruk-hai who are there specifically to kill everyone but the halflings. The only Fellowship members near to hand are two effectively-noncombatant Hobbits. This is probably a case where the player looked at the situation and said "yeah, there's no way Boromir gets out of this one alive. But drat if he's not going out in style!"

Your take is that Boromir's redemption comes not from his willingness to die, but his actual death? I don't know that I'm on board with that, but I don't think it matters for this. But Fellowship specifically cites Lord of the Rings as one of its inspirations, and also casts the game as inherently cooperative and optimistic; I don't think Fellowship actually accommodates a Boromir in its current form. You don't have a member of the Fellowship working against the others in any capacity, beyond possibly the demand made when a PC is Taken Out in the presence of the Overlord.

So, like, in the course of human events, it is totally possible to play a game of Fellowship in which a character goes all Boromir in that campaign for reasons and then gets Taken Out and chooses to accept Death's offer and bite it for a redemptive moment. That can happen and the rules don't get in the way of that. Fellowship the game, though, does not incentivize or support Boromirs explicitly, even in the section of the game most relevant to that, which I think is absolutely a missed opportunity, given how frequently you have the deaths of fellowship members in the fantasy fellowship genre post-Tolkien. Maybe that's intentional -- the game is so much more about the adversaries and obstacles faced in the genre -- but often temptation is one of those obstacles.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Take that with a grain of salt as AW managed to work fine with only 1 stat to overcome.

DW's multi-stat Defy Danger move is either the designers not understanding AW, or understanding it, but wanting too much to shoehorn it into D&D. In addition to something like AW's Act Under Fire (or a one-stat Overcome) for going forward despite danger/resistance/distraction, you could have one for when you need to stay one move ahead of the opponent -- argument/persuasion, stalling, or fighting defensively. We see that when Bilbo flatters Smaug to size him up, or when he stalls Gollum.

I would really rather not see moves that lead to the "can I use attribute/move A instead of attribute/move B for this task, because [reasons]" minigame in actual play. Or arguing over which move+stat is the right one for a pit, because soooo many games already do that. Everyone wanting to take Blood so they can +Blood Finish Them might not be a problem with Finish Them so much as a problem with the moves keying off other attributes not pulling their weight (and therefore not appearing as attractive).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't even remember what I voted for, but I think if they're good enough ideas to be considered for the main game, they're good enough ideas for a supplement for sale later, so I am frankly not super worried about what wins. I think they'll all be good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

(I admit, the main reason I wanted to make "The Lost one/The Castaway" its own playbook was to have a names section that starts with Marshall, Will, and Holly.)

"A Routine Expedition" is a solid name for a move, too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gnome7 posted:

I kinda wish there was a halfway point between Patreon and Kickstarter for things like this. Like a development-long fundraiser. I've had at least 10 people mention wanting to back this project after only finding it after it was finished. Basically, I'd want a Kickstarter without an end date - people buy a tier, the money is processed immediately, and then they immediately get access to the current rules draft, and the project would just stay open until the project was fulfilled. That'd be nice.

Anyway, production process nitpicking aside, I do love writing games. It lets me do fun things like my bonus playbook Destiny outlines here:

DTRPG should figure out a preorder/ransom system for this and just run it there for established authors. A central place to kind of P500 supplements would be great for the industry in scenarios where Kickstarter, with its limited funding window and streatch goals and blahblah isn't appropriate. In fact I think I'ma write to them and suggest it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Guh, just had another dumb idea for a Fellowship reskin/hack and I really need to stop until the game's actually out.

(Appalachian Folklore Fellowship. The Overlord, of course, is "The Devil their Own Self" and you've got playbooks like the Blessed Fool, The Cunning-man/Conjure-woman, The Clever One, the...well, the Giant, because giants happen in Appalachian folklore, usually secret descendants of Goliath, and so on.)

Whaaat this is amazing. I think it would also work for Southern Gothic.