Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I just want to say that I finished running a nearly year-long game of Inverse World yesterday, and two players called it the best roleplaying experience they've ever had, even though we ended up playing a little loose with the rules by the end on accident. I've shown them all Fellowship and they've all gotten hype as gently caress for it. I've been waiting to back this since that storify chain of tweets a few months ago, and hope this poo poo gets the mad money it deserves :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Congrats on your funding, gnome! :toot:

Now that you've done two kickstarters for PBTA (or PBTA inspired) games, what advice from experience would you give to someone looking to make their own? I've been having some ideas clawing at my mind, and am interested to know about any design a-has or pitfalls you've encountered, like "death to ability scores" and sticking with flat +/-s, never going too high or low, making sure all the core moves are actually core to the game, and the like.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Another rules question! The Overcome vs Keep Them Busy sidebar says this:

quote:

Overcome is used when you need to stop something right here, right now. Overcome defeats a single action, and it is reactive - the player must Overcome something that is already happening. Even if you overcome it in a proactive way, such as "I leap over the pit in my way," the move revolves around reacting to and defeating danger as it comes to you.

Yet the move Overcome says this:

quote:

When you attempt to avoid, redirect, or prevent the harm something will cause, roll +Blood. You can Overcome any obstacle, threat, Cut, or Move made against you or an ally, if you are in a position to act against it and have the means to stop it.
On a 10+, you stop the obstacle, threat, Cut, or Move from causing harm.
On a 7-9, choose one: You can pay a price to take the 10+ result, or you can create a temporary solution. A temporary solution will delay the threat, but when time is up, it'll be back in force - the Overlord will tell you when.
Overcoming harm with a Ranged weapon does not cost Ammo.

I can understand paying a price to make it over, but I don't get what happens if you take the 7-9 option to make a temporary solution when jumping over a pit. What would happen in a situation like that?

E: gently caress, Ergo edited the pit example into their post when I wasn't looking. Oh well, consider this reiteration then.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
That placeholder art is adorable, holy poo poo.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I had a thought last night - the Remnant is kind of gruesome for the rest of the game's established tone. Like, a cornerstone of the game's design is that violence is almost never your only option, then here's a playbook where three of your four defining options involve ripping people limb from limb, devouring their organs, or attempting to murder them unwillingly. Maybe it'd make more sense for your Hunger to be a choose-your-own thing, so people could make it gruesome and nasty if they want, or more spooky and arcane if they don't.

I just want to play a spooky skeleton that doesn't have to flay the bones from every one of his victims :saddowns:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

megane posted:

You can totally do it, just don't use the word Stand. "A ghostly projection of your soul that fights for you" is enough.

Dooo ittt

not emptyquoting

You've already explicitly referenced Jojo like two or three times in the inspiration stuff and names take the jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

gnome7 posted:

I mean if we want to get super technical, real life komodo dragons don't have venom. Their saliva is food for a symbiotic bacteria that lives in their mouth and leads to infections if it gets into open wounds. It's actually a diseased bite!

Which is still not poisonous, so yeah I'll change it.

EDIT: Actually, looking into it more, apparently that bacteria thing was the popular scientific theory because they have no venom sacks in their throat like every other venomous lizard. Up until 2009, that is, when it was discovered they have venom sacks in their goddamn teeth. So no its not a symbiotic bacteria, it is actually venom. Learn something new every day.

gently caress, that metal as hell factoid I learned for my third grade science presentation was never actually true!? :saddowns: