Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Are you gonna run a playtest game? It was a big hit when Spirit of 77 did it. (And I ended up attending 6 subsequent adventure playtests...)

Backed BTW.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

From the preview, the very first move has a 7+ option and a 7-9 option, instead of a 10+ option. Same with "Talk Sense". You use this a few times, but it's inconsistently used (sometimes it means "7+ is always a pure success", sometimes it means "You have to do something else", sometimes it means "add a consequence").

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 5, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The playbook is really cool. LMK if anyone is running this as a weekly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

quote:

The Pair, which would be about playing as two heroes from different peoples who are completely inseparable. Their core move would be for being in two places at once.

This seems like either a fantastic roleplaying opportunity or insanity. A lot of turning your head left and right to indicate whether you're Rocco or Socco, or make them completely different so they're Victor and Tiny.

Kai Tave posted:

The Outlaw.

I can dig it. Pair the Harbinger, the Outlaw and the Orc for the ultimate Antihero Party.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That's a great skin!

For the "Grand Entrance" move, I'd add the phrase "If at all possible". Otherwise, you'll never need to make daring prison escapes, and that's a missed opportunity.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you want to look at "Two Characters, one Player", may I reccommend "The Twins?"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1iTjRUomaBXTi1kSVFyZkFFN2s/view?usp=sharing

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

quote:

Putting on the mask radically changes how you act, and possibly even who you are. You’ve got two sets of stats and: One for the Real You, and one for the Persona. You may also take a new agenda, that you swap in when the Persona. Any Damage you take carries over.

It'd be easier if you get to swap one stat for another, instead of all stats. That's how it works for The Janus in "Masks: The New Generation".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A key thing for the Pair:

Have a name card in front of you. Flip it when you switch from one member of the pair to the other, so the rest of the party can keep track.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Dragon won because of two things:
-Dragon Fans
-Kobold Fans.

Those are two wide constituencies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

When's someone running another playtest? Covok canceled his due to player leak.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I laughed at naming an inspiration move "Don’t Let Your Dreams Just Be Dreams".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, they're both good, but they're not Version 2.0 compliant by any means. :)

(I ran into this when making a skin for Masks.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Loki_XLII posted:

Hey, everyone, thought I'd come on in and plug the recruitment for my game. We're going to be playing using Roll20 and Discord at 7 pm central. I'm aiming for a full Fellowship, so there's still plenty of room. Apply here, if you're interested.

Are you starting this week? I really want to play fellowship but am booked for the next 3 Thursdays.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What does "Stand" refer to in this case?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'm gonna play a Kobold "Spiritual Giant". Basically Paul Wright meets Pecos Bill.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, our world is an Archipelago with Hawaiian Kobolds and Germanic Barbarian Halflings. The Empire is a far flung London-expy, the mer-elves control the sea lanes, and the Dwarves were created by the God of Battle. Unfortunately, the God made them too well; they ate him and live on the island of his hollowed-out scorpion body.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In our game, the advantage was the giant Tossing the Halfling at the eye, picking: They land safely on their feet, They go exactly where you want them to, they crash through something or into someone. as 1 or 2 rolls. Felt underwhelming, but narratively that would take out an eye.

Edit: On reflection, I forgot that Phase 3 (save survivors!) was still part of the boss fight.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Probably want a corruption track system similar to Urban Shadows.

But it's important to remember Gollum wasn't part of the Fellowship; he only appeared once it had splintered, and only to Sam and Frodo if I remember correctly. (It'd be fun to see Legolas and Gollum have a two person mission tho.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hurray.

Weird the old Squire art is now the Heir!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

My group once brought up that while the Heir is nobility and a single kingdom, the Squire is in charge of the smallfolk. However in both the games I'm playing in (running one, being a dwarf in another), nobody is playing a Squire, so it's a moot point so far.

In ours the Squire is the niece of the Giant. So He's 7'3 and she's under 3'5" and plays volleyball.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I've been wondering, JJBA was mention in the book. How would a party go about emulating that? I'd assume the race stuff is pretty much dropped such that each playbook is solely indicative of the character, and then deciding as a group as to how to handle stands and how they operate. I'm just curious.

There's a potential expansion that'll delve into this; it's not really represented yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You could also, reading it directly, run it as a Threat to the World, and have it be a climatic final fight. That would make the Mastermind a first-form boss battle, with the other enemy being the TRUE FORM!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There's a typo in the first full sentence of the constructed.

It's also an amazing playbook that captures roboticism amazingly.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 15, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It does sometimes go from fellowship to rock 'n' roll show with dozens of roadies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I found you don't need to justify every damage taken for paying a price; just assume your characters are getting blood in their eyes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

LordZoric posted:

Just wrapped out a Maximum Lore session where we all spent three hours coming up with our setting. We have a rockman Dwarf, a merfolk Elf, an entish Orc, a Dragon (who is usually a being of pure primordial fire but is trapped in a humanish form), and a Harbinger whose people are basically the Kingdom of Zeal from Chrono Trigger. We realized pretty quickly we had a "band of misfits" theme going on and settled on the Overlord being a Gaston-esque seemingly heroic villain. He has his own band of followers who have helped him on his adventures, so I am giving him The Organization as his army. Super excited to get into the game!

The Organization seems to be a bit trickier than the others. Any advice on how to handle them? They seem designed to be your anime superteam (Ginyu Force, Gung-ho Guns, the Misters and Misses from Baroque Works, etc.) and that definitely requires a different mindset than having in-exhaustive resources to throw at the Fellowship.

Well, they use other people's resources. Think of Cucumber Quest; the bosses are powerful because the lands are either supporting them, or in disarray.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I really love the giant but I was playing a big legendary dude, around 7-8 but twice the size of any other kobold.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gnome, how would you adapt the game to do a classic sonic style fuzzy animals vs evil robots game? My first thought is that there's a lot of armor and swords that could be replaced or reskinned...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Free to KS backers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The justice cut and agenda are identical.
Edit: this is repeated by the previous post, ironically.