Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This looks super interesting.

How much is the game married to Tolkienesque fantasy? Humans/elves/dwarves/orcs still seems like a very traditional setup, even if you've got an awesome novel take at it with feminist mushrooms. Is the game reskinnable enough to break away from this structure altogether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Absolutely. Reskinning is a major part of it - I really wanted to get away from every elf being a tolkien Elf. The Elf playbook lets you place as a merfolk or a space alien just as well as it does the traditional forest dweller. The commonality all Elves have is they're really good at the basic move Get Away, and they have a few weird abilities others mistake for magic. There is an outline for what they have and what they do but the fluff of how they do it is very open ended, and there are explicitly options for being veeeery different.

Backed.

I'm a huge fan of games that provide a strong structure, but are at the same time built for heavy reskinning. I'm looking forward to traveling mystical wuxia heroes from different lands under heaven battling evil overlord Cao Cao.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am not so sure. If one's solution to the problem is climbing down the hole and climbing up on the other side, why would you use Grace for something that is pure muscle work?

In that case, you probably don't even need to trigger any move at all. If that's something you can do, then it's likely a very boring hole, and not a Threat.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 9, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

I actually am surprised by that. For some reason I thought backers for a project like this would be more into "weird" options. Dragon was absolute last for me... Barely see the point in voting for something you could just find in a PHB.

That's also true of Elf, Orc, and Dwarf. The way I see Fellowship, it's is all about creating adventurous fantasy from the ground up, basing it on the sources of the genre rather than on derivatives like D&D. I'm confident gnome can do good things with these vanilla concepts.

I'm only sad about Constructed because we already have the Golem in Inverse World. I don't know how similar they'll be, but adapting earlier work to a current project feels a bit underwhelming.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Pretty excited about the Constructed and Dragon bringing us about 90 percent of the way to running Chrono Trigger: the Roleplaying Game.

I was just thinking about this. If there ever was a game to play JRPG: the RPG, this is it. A group of plucky friends come together to travel the world, save communities from local trouble, and ultimately try and take down a big bad villain. Instead of Commanding Lore about different People, players could Command Lore about different parts of the world's culture – for instance, in a Chrono Trigger game, Frog's player might be responsible for 600AD, Marle's for 1000AD, and Lucca's for technology in general. The "generic main character" archetype is clearly the Squire, who isn't a strong representative of one culture but who connects on a personal level with everyone.

When you defeat the Overlord and realize this is only the end of Disc 1, the true Overlord is revealed...