Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I've played two sessions of this game, and so far I've had an amazing time for 100% of all sessions. I'm so glad that getting the unfinished rules is part of the donation deals.

I'm the Overlord in my group (who includes THE LESBIATHAN here), and today they met me for the first time, who basically all but ignored them as he hopped into a robo-dragon, batted them aside, and flew away grinning like a smug rear end in a top hat.

Everyone else did cool things too. Our Orc turns out to be a captain of industry and shot cannons at mages, while our Elf distracted horrible beasts using a siege drill long enough for our Giant to murder her way through them. Our harbinger basically disintegrated a large part of a building to stop said horrible beasties from getting their hands on said cannons. Fun was had by all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So quick question which may have already been addressed: Generals, for the most part, just act exactly like their minion counterparts except they are Threats To The World. I get that. But do Threats To The World get any special rules about not getting immediately chumped by a 10+ Finish Them roll? I feel like if you build a General, and they're a big threat, it's kind of... silly and against the spirit of the thing that a Fellowship member can just immediately put them down at the very start of an encounter.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

spectralent posted:

Well, they need an Advantage, which hypothetically should be hard to get against a terrifying foe such as a General, though I can see an Orc with the weapon-breaking move just unloading on a dude from the go, which does seem like it could be kind of anticlimactic.

Even with the advantage, a general is typically such a big target that party members would be working together to bring him down, so the start of a fight could potentially go: Player 1 goes to Keep Them Busy with a 10+ result, next player uses the advantage to Finish Them with a 10+ result, the general immediately goes down and has to retreat / be destroyed. I'm just wondering that if it's better that, for generals specifically, it's better to treat a 10+ Finish Them as damaging two stats instead of just out and out "killing" them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, I mean, the Witch King of Angmar is a General! He gets taken out almost immediately after someone reveals their advantage over him: That they are no man. After that, welp.

Actually this is a super good point. I sort of forgot the Witch King of Angmar was even a thing.

EDIT: Alright, next question since it's coming up right now in a discord chat I have with my group: The Overlord can form more than one bond with the Harbinger, correct? His rules override the player's?

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 8, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

gnome7 posted:

The Heir is humans (although the humans of your setting might be weirder than ours). The Squire is whatever they want to be.

My group once brought up that while the Heir is nobility and a single kingdom, the Squire is in charge of the smallfolk. However in both the games I'm playing in (running one, being a dwarf in another), nobody is playing a Squire, so it's a moot point so far.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Would it be a final boss sort of situation or is it more like you have another overlord character sheet all started up for the big reveal?

I think it could be an either or situation. The Dark Sun Dungeons and Dragons novels set up the Dragon of Tyr as the big bad, but in truth he was sacrificing slaves to keep an evil who basically turned the world into the shithole it was. He was only physically there for less than a quarter of a single book in a five book series. On the flip side, you have entire tv shows where the man behind the man is in power for an entire season.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So gnome, if I'm doing a set piece where my players are racing against the Overlord to reach a source of power, what would the best way to indicate failures of the Overlord's forces (with the overlord there in person) gaining ground? I was thinking of giving the second phase of the setpiece "armor", meaning the Overlord's forces have in some way trapped or altered the area so they have to have another go at it. The problem I'm thinking of with that, though, is that no other set piece example actually works like that and while the idea sounded good initially the more I think on it the more it sounds unfair.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

gnome7 posted:

The Dragon set piece sort of works like that right now, so it isn't TOO unfair, but that does sound rough. Maybe make it something like, in phase 1, there's three different things the Overlord is doing to get the thing. For each one the players don't stop before some other thing happens, the Overlord's forces get 1 Armor in phase 2? Maybe even use an actual timer, like put a 20-30 minute timer on your phone and when that dings, phase 2 happens now.

Yeah, the way I had planned it originally was (spoiler tags because some of my players read this thread, please don't look lesbiathan) the first phase of the set piece is run as normal, but for every complete failure they get the second phase gains one armor. This can happen a maximum of three times, because there's only so much of a lead the Overlord can get (plus having something like 7 armor for phase two would really drag the game down). Depending on how long they take during phase 2, it may be too late to stop the Overlord from completing his objective and he gets a new source of power. I figure this is a fair way for the Overlord to potentially win, given it's a plan that's still in phase one.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hey gnome, there's no rules on any limits on how many bonds you can form per session. Should there be? I recall that Dungeon World only allowed you to form one bond per session, and so my Overlord is breaking bonds the players have with each other... only for them to reform them all immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So Panic At The Dojo allows me to finally play a game based off of Kung Fu Hustle?