Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Hey, I'm really digging the game, but I had one question with potential expansions: did you have any plans for a Gollum-like playbook? Someone corrupted by the dark powers of the Overlord but who falls in with the Fellowship for one reason or another, but who may be redeemed/ultimately gives in to the corruption but in a way that ends up being good for the Fellowship? Or do you feel like that's adequately covered with some creative twisting of the current playbooks? I know a lot of the current Fellowship playbooks are heavily based on Lord of the Rings characters, so that seemed like a surprising gap to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

A "dark ally" playbook doesn't have to be 100% turncoat Renfield, either. There're plenty of places you can take it, like jealous rival, estranged progeny, or inscrutable servant of a past or future Overlord.

I was thinking that the playbook could be expanded out to cover stuff like that, or a Boromir-type as spectralent mentioned. It could also be used for a renegade General the Fellowship befriends instead of kills!

Golden Bee posted:

Probably want a corruption track system similar to Urban Shadows.

But it's important to remember Gollum wasn't part of the Fellowship; he only appeared once it had splintered, and only to Sam and Frodo if I remember correctly. (It'd be fun to see Legolas and Gollum have a two person mission tho.)

If you're not going to count any time after the Fellowship split as part of their collective adventure, then technically the Fellowship wasn't what defeated the Overlord and this game is already diverging from a straight adaption of LotR. Either that or even while they were divided by hundreds or thousands of miles the individuals that formed the Fellowship were still united in a way through their shared goal to destroy the Ring of Power.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 29, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Suleman posted:

Hey, I'm really loving the concept for the game. Great stuff, very different from most fantasy RPGs.

I'm making a Squire character for my first Fellowship game, but I'm running into a little problem.
I figured my character would be a Figment, basically a semi-sentient psionic being that is given form by the subconscious of others. Usually, they'd appear in dreams or visions or such, only in physical form in very rare cases. However, the Overlord has spread so much misery that people really needed someone to help, a friend. Which is to say, my character. They're everyone's imaginary friend!
Downside: Other Figments have started manifesting as people's nightmares. poo poo. While they can affect and be affected by the physical world now, they're still technically imaginary and follow some dream logic at times.

The problem here is that the rulebook says that as the Squire:
"You do not command lore like the others do. You have no people to call your own, no hold in this world. But you can make friends. People like you. People trust you. And friendship is the strongest power of all. Your People are not a culture or a society. Your People are the friends you make along the way."
We're not sure if the rules allow me to define my people so specifically and Command Lore about them. How should we handle this? We like the character concept, but we're not entirely sure how it would work within the rules.

Fellowship is super freeform so if you want it then you can make it happen, but I think the intent behind the squire is that they usually come from one of the cultures the other PCs defined. Gnome would probably say to ignore the rule if it makes for a more interesting story.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like I bought the color print-on-demand hardback two days before Gnome found the errors and took the option down. :v:

It came in the mail today, and yeah, all the page numbers are jumbled up in a ton of places. I kind of laughed at the back two pages of the Squire's info jumping to 655 and 656. Spookyelectric is right about artifacted images, too. The image in the chapter 4 header has a lot of grainy pixels on it. Looking at the final version of the PDF the same issue is on that, too, but it's definitely more noticeable on the print book. The image opposite of the start of The Orc-Boss destiny also has some noticeable artifacting, which is a lot harder to detect on the PDF. You can see it on a few other images if you squint hard, but that's not as distracting. There's no issue with the cropping of the page numbers in the hardback though.

The poor-resolution images wouldn't be too bad but I was really hoping to use the book to run games IRL with people that are completely new to RPGs and the hosed up numbering would be a pretty lovely barrier for new people. Relying on the PDF would mean asking everyone to haul a laptop over or awkwardly flip through a phone or tablet, too. This is kind of a damper on the whole thing.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 11, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah I'm going to have to look into returning my hardcover and see if I can get it refunded/replaced. The cover is beautiful and I like the size and feel of it but the pictures are blurry, low-res garbage and the page number thing makes the book unusable.

I still have the PDF but it'll be difficult when someone asks to look at the book and I tell them to pull it up on their phone. A physical book makes things a lot easier.

Just as an update I sent DriveThruRPG a message through their support page requesting either a refund or a new copy a week ago (I offered to mail the faulty book back) and received a message back yesterday that the support staff have ordered a corrected proof and once they've verified that the numbering is fixed they'll mail me a new one free of charge. Anyone else with this issue might want to contact the support staff with a bunch of pictures of the problem and your order information, too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Hey Gnome, was there any recourse for those who got the misnumbered books? Maybe I missed it somewhere. Thanks.

I got them to send me a corrected copy for free. I had to follow up a month after they said they'd get me a new copy because one didn't show up, but they sent it the second time and gave me $10.00 store credit for forgetting to do it before. Send them a message through this: http://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/requests/new with a pdf or image file full of the printing errors. I gave my order info too just to be safe

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So I have a question about the single, irreplaceable item that the Heir gets.

One possible choice is a map:

quote:

A map to the location of a Source of Power the Overlord is currently looking for. The Overlord must reveal to you what that Source of Power is, and if you can get to it before they do, you can use it to permanently damage the Overlord.

Another one is a keep in a community that grants you a Fellowship move of your choice:

quote:

A castle or keep to call your home, complete with servants. You have Fellowship with the community it is in. They can grant you any Fellowship move from the book, choose one from Chapter 4.

Wouldn't it be more mechanically sensible to take the castle with the Fellowship and grab "Many Died for this Information" as your Fellowship move over taking the map?

quote:

You are told the location of a Source of Power that the Overlord currently has a plan to find, and you are also told the location of a Source of Power that the Overlord has already. One of them is quite close by, your choice which, and this community will tell you all about it.

You learn about two sources of power that way, and get to dictate where they are. You also get way more information about the sources of power this way. The only difference I see is that the map says that the source of power can be used to permanently damage a stat... except no matter what, a Fellowship gets to permanently erase a stat from the overlord when they seize a source of power.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

spectralent posted:

I was going to say that it's taking away an item of power that lets you damage them, but you're right. That's weird.

Taking the option that nets you a Fellowship move looks to be the best of the three options given, by far. Besides the option giving you two leads on sources of power right out of the gate, you could get the Fellowship move that nets you a second allied community where you can get another Fellowship move and a free Recover action the overlord can't act on the minute you arrive. Or you could take the move that ensures the community never falls to the overlord, giving the party a permanently safe base of operations. You could even take the move that gives you an item that is secretly a weakness of the overlord. That one synergizes very well with the Heir custom that lets you permanently remove a damaged stat if you get into a one-on-one duel with the overlord and roll a 10+ on Finish Them.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I have an additional question: if another person in the fellowship picks up the elf's elf-made gear, do they get burned? Or are they treated as a friend to elves? Or is the only way to earn the "friend to elves" title through the fellowship move?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neopie posted:

It's better than that.

Strike True
When you could Finish Them in single combat, instead of rolling, you
may strike a decisive blow. Choose one, and tell us how you do it:
 Beaten Down: They cannot cause further harm during this scene.
 Pinned Down: They cannot give chase.
 Taken Down: Choose one of their already-damaged stats. Remove it -
they no longer have that stat, nor any moves associated with it.

haha I missed that you didn't even have to roll on that. That's amazing.

gnome7 posted:

If I were to rewrite it, I think I'd have you just get a castle somewhere by default, then only pick between the map or the symbol, with no option for a Fellowship move at all.

I think that or removing the other two options and having the Heir start out with a free Fellowship move of their choice would work, too. None of them are game-breakingly insane to start with. A lot of players would probably love the chance to start the game with a WAR ELEPHANT

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gnome7 posted:

These are the kinds of things that happen when you publish something right after working on it all night because you couldn't sleep.

Yeah I straight forgot to finish writing that stat block and didn't notice.

Contagious is a bad move I removed for being bad, but I forgot I wrote its Companion text around it.

I'll have those updated real soon.

EDIT: Aaaand updated! That was a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

haha I knew the minute you said there'd be errata to the Heir's playbook what it would be. It's a great improvement.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh wow, glad I checked the thread. I've been waiting for this since it lost in the kickstarter polls.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Hey gnome, it looks like DriveThruRPG files for The Pair are missing a fillable playbook that every other playbook has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gnome7 posted:

I had forgotten to upload it, and it took a few days for me to find the file. I just uploaded it to DTRPG, so you can grab that there now.

Thanks! :)