Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I was poking around about making a Rogue style character, with a criminal syndicate/band of rebels/pirate crew instead of a traditional community. Everyone needs a Han Solo.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

The Outlaw.
I've tried poking around with creating this class but I couldn't get it to work. Aside from just lack experience with this, it's a tricky class to get right. Trust and community are such big factors in the game, so a character that has a completely different relationship to these than the others is way past my skill levels. Also I couldn't think about a background for being a pirate, so what's the point. Someone who knows what they're doing can try if they want.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 16, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's more about finding a way to represent communities not trusting you than a radically different approach. The same sort of problem with not meshing with the system kept coming up. I had a "shoot first" that didn't match the spotlight and attempts at a move for godfather favors that was something that already happens but with added consequences.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GimpInBlack posted:

I really like the Outlaw Fellowships being bands of heroic rogues, but if you wanted to do something different you could make their "Fellowship" be with the bad guys. Not in an "evil PC" kind of way, but in a "the Outlaw, even in the course of helping people, always manages to piss off the local authorities/Overlord's minions and can use that to her advantage" way. Fellowship benefits could be things like your own personal Jim Sterling who's always on your heels but who you can manipulate to your advantage or positive reputation with criminal elements because You Have the Death Sentence in Twelve Systems or whatever.

Having Robin Hoodness baked into the class is probably a better way of going than being a mafiosa. I've made a couple of changes and it's actually starting to work. Gnome7 is still miles ahead but there's some potential here.

The Outlaw

Agenda for you
Get rich
Give to the poor
Complete your organisation's goals

Your sense stat is +2

Shoot First
You've always got a plan, or can make a plan B really quickly. When you reveal the sneaky thing you just did, (holding a crossbow under the table, picking the lock on your handcuffs, etc), roll +sense.
On a 7+ You succeed, and the target is surprised by the sudden reversal.
On a 7-9, you've drawn the attention of those aside from who you just surprised.

Undermine Authority
For good or bad reasons, those in power don't take well to you. However, their dislike of you is something you can exploit.When you speak softly to someone with power over you, you have this extra option available.
-What did I just take from them they didn't want to give?

What is your business?
Professional criminal: You've been in the business of banditry/piracy/heisting for a while, and are an expert at crowd control through uncivil means. When you keep them busy through intimidation, you can give your target an order that they will obey to the best of their ability.
The Syndicate: Your organization has been working across the world, all based tightly upon the strength of your word. You obtain gear: 1 favor. You can call in your favor as a price in a talk sense roll, replacing whatever is offered.
The Revolution: Your ultimate goal is to cast off the yoke of oppression in all forms, which has given you many supporters among the downtrodden. The public will never betray you to the overlord or police.
Outcast: Your people are exiled from another community, and still know some of it's secrets, but changed by suffering. Take a core move from another playbook. Whatever stat it used before, it's +blood now.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Probably, but the tricky part is getting something with a community behind it.I might go with rogue, but leave it up in the air for a bit.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm worried about undermining people's narratives. The heir's player might not appreciate another person adding on stories about how their family is first against the wall, or a halfling not wanting her community to try out the special pipeweed you've been selling. The tricky part of doing fellowship moves for the rogue is not stepping on other player's toes, because it can change the tone of the game by murkying the good/evil divide. That said, if I back down from Han Solo/Robin Hood it just turns into a halfling/squire hybrid and doesn't really do anything new.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FicusArt posted:

Does your idea of the Outlaw have a way to go loud? Like could I play some One Piece Luffy type pirate?

I'd like to get that working a bit. You could do it easy with the outcast background taking the dwarf's move, but right now the class is more of a dashing rogue that subverts evil schemes than Luffy's shonen wrecking ball. You might be able to do Nami, Sanji and Robin, or maybe Joseph Joestar's brand of bullshit.

I made a Shonen move for luffying. It'll probably be advanced because it's quite similar to an orc one.

Burning Justice
You are enraged by the suffering of others. When a grave injustice is committed to one of your companions, you can use that as an advantage for the purpose of Finish Him.

Mors Rattus posted:

Maybe the Outlaw is from the lands of the Overlord. They get to define what it's like to live under the Overlord's rule, cooperatively with the Overlord. I somehow doubt the Overlord's gonna be mad at any atrocities attributed to them.

Why the gently caress did I not think of this. I've got to rework a bit but it fits a lot better and doesn't mess with other players.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Green Intern posted:

So I really want to run this irl. Like, a lot. It's pretty obvious that this intended for a longer series of sessions, but do you have any advice for doing shorter games with this? My gaming groups don't always have time to meet regularly.

You'd want to make a big multicultural community rather than a bunch of single playbook-based ones. If you want to take out the overlord quickly, you need to take out 3 threats to the world, so that's 3 weaknesses, sources of power, big sacrifices or crazy plans. If you aren't going to reduce the overlord's hp you need to give access to enough resources to defeat him.

Here's a setup for a one shot, although it might take an entire afternoon.
It's set in The Capitol, the last great city standing in front of the overlord. It's full of many cultures and refugees from already conquered places. It was built on the ancient ruins of the Architects, and they have many secrets in the depths of the town that the overlord wants (aka a source of power)
The armies of the Overlord have reached the Silver Walls, and the city is under siege. Sentries have noticed that the Overlord's skeletal minions have been assembling into a massive humanoid shape.
The squire has found out that the black glass eye he found in the wandering bazaar once belonged to the Blind Prophets who raised him, and will let him see the true form of the overlord, if someone makes space for it. (A weakness)
The Fellowship discovers that the Architects built the city around a massive wellspring of liquid electricity, and the massive power hidden beneath is the overlord's greatest desire (Source of Power)
Time is running out, and the heroes need to dive into the heart of the ancient ruins, pursued by burrowing ghouls and the liche leading them. Once they find the Architect's great factory, they discover their greatest secret: The architects didn't build a city, they built a giant mechanical warrior to fight the overlord's titanic minions, and hid it from the world until the right time to use (now).

Edit: I've nearly finished a full draft of the Rogue/Outlaw/Scofflaw/Liberator/whatever. I just need a Fellowship move for throwing the wildest party ever but I'm pretty stuck. Any suggestions?

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

First full draft of the Mask is ready. Play as Dashing Rogues, Master Criminals, Hot-headed freedom lovers or Batman. One day it'll get formatting, art and general improvements.

Edit: It's a google Doc now

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 19, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've changed it to not work if you've been Taken Out, to cover a lot of bases. Now you can't use this move to escape from death, capture, sealing yourself in a magical circle on the moon to fight off aliens for eternity and other likely ends. One of the big ideas behind the Mask is that you thrive in dangerous situations, but aren't especially good with getting out of it.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 20, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That seems like a really hard to reach goal. The kickstarter's more than halfway and it's 2/5ths there. I guess art, layouts, publishing takes plenty of money to do, so it seems like a pretty good deal overall. It'd be really great if it did happen, an alternate Overlord would be pretty sick.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Those are all valid points, but I won't be able to do anything with them for a month because university's getting serious. Everyone just play mushroom orcs and take booze twice instead.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Same as everything else? I wasn't sure there was any variability.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Go with 2, although the whole section needs tweaks because of the stuff you mentioned earlier. The Mask isn't past the drafting stages and won't be until November. There's probably enough to play with but it's not a perfect fit with the system.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Gnome, what playbook ideas are your favorites?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I posted this before in the KS comments but I like how the changes to Overcome and Finish them make the game a lot less lethal, since befriending, forcing surrender, humiliating and capturing are more mechanically represented. Undertale must have really rubbed off on you.

Anyway, I've been updating the mask based on feedback and made some bigger changes, but need a bit of advice. I'm trying to make a new background to replace remnant with a Hidden War one, based on The Overlord conquering in secret and people resisting from the shadows, but I cannot come up with a move for it at all. Maybe something with Get Away or the Real you? If I can't get it I'll try something about being scavengers in a post-cataclysm area but that doesn't fit with the personality of the class. There's also a couple of moves to replace the boring ones that I'm not sure about. They fit with the class but

quote:

Split Personality
Putting on the mask radically changes how you act, and possibly even who you are. You’ve got two sets of stats and: One for the Real You, and one for the Persona. You may also take a new agenda, that you swap in when the Persona. Any Damage you take carries over.

quote:

One Hand Behind My Back
When you visibly handicap yourself, roll +Grace.
On a 7+, Your following actions are far more impressive, and you can forge a bond with onlookers related to how they perceive you.
On a 7-9, You need to pay a price related to the handicapping or the next action.
On a 6-, You look like a showoff more than you usually do.

Aside from that it's a replacement for revolution where you've been cursed, and some gear minutia.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 5, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

unseenlibrarian posted:

Construct, Pair, Remnant, but I put Spider in the top of my 'didn't quite make it' picks.

Also now I really hope that at some point in the future we get a look at some of the alternate Overlord stuff, because during a post-work nap I had a vague idea for a portal fantasy Fellowship hack that used "The Way Home" as an alternate overlord.

This could be pretty cool if you can sort out the backgrounds, since that's such a massive part of playing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I hope the Constructed gets some tweaks to the Ordering Around move. Needing 2 bonds stops you from connecting with the Giant and Harbringer.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you've got a PayPal, just tell people they can put money in that, and mention on the ks if it pushes anything along.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The rules would work but you might have to muck with playbooks a lot.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

RSIxidor posted:

Not knowing much about the game (and whether this already exists in it, I don't think it does) would this concept make sense for this game?

The Rider. Cultural background of people that ride some sort of beastly thing (or maybe mechanical, whatever). References would be Dragonriders of Pern, Ghostwise Halflings (riding giant owls), Guy on a Buffalo, Uthgardt Barbs riding giant ravens, LOTR oliphant riders (maybe), nazgul and fell beasts, Dino-Riders, Diaclone. Mechanics include how the relationship between rider and beast works (telepathy, instinctual companionship, trained hand or verbal commands), probably something about what happens when a rider's beast dies (I'm thinking it affects The Rider in some lasting way, especially if it died by sacrificing itself). Also figure the beast has some abilities, like if it's a dragon-type thing, it flies and breathes fire. If it's something like a saber-toothed tiger, it's probably got vicious claws and is good at keeping prey pinned.

Just throwing it out there.

It needs some stuff that isn't just about the beast, like stuff about living a nomadic lifestyle, trading, etc to be different to give it more background stuff: it needs to draw from the people's culture and set up a role that fits with the other playbooks. It could really work well if it gets really fleshed out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
My Rider is a glorious Shoulder Knight, carried over the tainted earth on the back of the miserable peasantry.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Just ran my first game of Fellowship and it was a blast. I only had a couple of people but it went well. Just remember the [i]pay a price[\i] to attack the Overlord rule, and to go on the offense with the monsters.

My Overlord, the Dread Count Tarantula, got grenaded, cut up by a necrotic sword and staked on a rhino-dinosaur horn, barely escaping with his unlife only minutes after his assassin got blasted after jumping out of a cake. I had to scramble up some traitors not getting the message and the Dwarf Princess got caught in a death-trap, which went a lot cooler but the Dwarf didn't listen to the Igor's offer for cyborging. The Harbinger found a cursed book that gave him a new creepy tattoo. They saved everyone else from the guard spider with surprise Harbinger diplomacy, and made a deal with it to go to a jungle, and it promised revenge on it if there was less food. They got to keep the castle as repayment from the human ambassador, and the dwarf king pledged any amount of soldiers to fight Tarantula, should he return.This all happened in about an hour, although they went so well they skipped the bitching carriage chase I planned. I enjoyed the system but ran it poorly. You need to be on the offense with your minions, since it's easy to finish them as a player. Hopefully I can do a longer session with more players next time.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Leprechaun is the best choice, accept no substitutes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

gnome7 posted:

The Mask (for a rogue-type with no home and country) and The Yankee (someone from our world/another world who got sucked into the fantasy land) were posted about earlier in this thread, but I don't have any links to them and I don't know if either has been finished. I heartily endorse both concepts, though, and am just going to officially state that creating and publishing/selling such playbooks is alright with me.

I kinda ditched the mask concept because I found out the core move was a poorly written version of the halfling's one on a different stat. I was poking around with reworking it into the Outsider, who's your kain/sasuke/han solo based around being willing to be antiheroic and a little bit darker, but I need to sort out the core move's consequences and the gear,and figured I'd wait for the final version. The idea right now is to give them a special stat based on being Dark, what is basically Go Aggro from apocalypse world and some sort of buff when having the stat damaged, to represent being nice for once. Unfortunately this is hard and I have videogames.

I don't know if it'll ever end up as good as I want it to be, but I'm really happy with the bonds move replacing the Mask itself.

Tsundere: For whatever reason, you don't like people to get close to you, and try to keep your distance from them. Other characters, excluding the Overlord, can only have a maximum of one bond with you. However, you have no such restriction towards them.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 15, 2016

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's something tacky about just saying stand. It's too explicit, which limits what can be done with it. Something like "the raw manifestation of your will, given force" is more versatile and draconic.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DigitalRaven posted:

Also, until this post, I had no loving clue what this "stand" thing was or why people were excited.

Never assume your audience will get all of your pop-culture references.

It's going to be weird in the hands of people who do know it, since a weapon is not just a weapon, it's a narrative thing. If you've got a shield you can surf on it, you can chop trees with an axe. A jojo fan playing a dragon is going to go "My stand, Beethoven's Fifth, turns gravity off, so I don't give a poo poo about castle walls.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bring it up with the dm. Tell him the concept and work together on his design, then get him to use them as enemies or npcs in other places. Or just ignore it, but it sounds like they aren't going to be your buds.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's no limit, and the book says you should be making and breaking bonds constantly.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd probably just make it uncomfortably warm or something, unless the elves are real dicks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's pretty weak because money's barely in the game, anything important is based on trust. Maybe do something about Ownership rather than price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Start in action, ask a lot of questions. Stick to the principles and agendas like glue. Take a break if you need to think a bit. That’s pretty much it.