Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Backed! And I put a "Hey this looks cool also let's get it to 10K because I totally want to play a giant" blurb on the RPG.net Crowdfunding spotlight thread, so hopefully that gets you a few more hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My ideas for playbooks are probably dumb but I went ahead and posted them in the comments. The Rebellious Child and the Old Hero. The son/daughter/creation of the overlord, rebelling against their creator/parent. and "the last survivor of a previous generation's fellowship", for those settings where the battle against an evil overlord is a cyclical thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Androc posted:

See, my first thought for the spirit was 'sweet, I've always wanted to play a rogue AI.'

Don't the orc and the harbinger kinda cover these?

Kiiinda. They might be better as destinies, since often as not that's the sort of thing that gets revealed partway through a series.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think with an outlaw playbook, you might -not- want to change the community relationships so much, exactly. An Outlaw in a fellowship could be part of a group with some sort of code; the Jianghu, the Brethren of the Coast, the Free Men of the Greenwood/Merry Men. Etc. Sure, they're robbers and thieves and cutthroats, but they're not 100 percent a dick.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Construct, Pair, Remnant, but I put Spider in the top of my 'didn't quite make it' picks.

Also now I really hope that at some point in the future we get a look at some of the alternate Overlord stuff, because during a post-work nap I had a vague idea for a portal fantasy Fellowship hack that used "The Way Home" as an alternate overlord.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Think of it this way. You're not flaying your enemies to death, you're freeing your skeleton buddies from their meat-prisons they're caged in.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So I'm playing with the portal fantasy idea and I may have at least a basic grip on one of the playbooks maybe.

The Yankee

“Blah, blah blah insert character quote here’.

The Yankee is the sort of visitor from another world who, upon seeing the vaguely medieval fantasyland he’s arrived in, thinks "What a dump” and tries to make it more like his home, using grit, know-how, and a touch of condescension. They’re likely to be the least genuinely heroic visitors, caring more for themselves and how terrible the primitive circumstances they find themselves in are. Play as the Yankee if you want to jury rig fantastic weapons, if you want to cow the locals with your sufficiently advanced technology, or if you want to replace a lost hand with a chainsaw.

Given name: Ashley, Conrad, Milo, Oscar.

Titles: The Boss, the Foreman, the Engineer, the learned, the Great and Powerful.

What is the Yankee?

Problematic Travelling Salesman

Shadetree Mechanic

Industrial revolutionary.

Currently thinking that the Companion stuff would focus in on "The people who took you in when you arrived, and how you relate to them."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Possibly! but I was actually thinking of doing Dorothy/Alice/"Normal person lost by accident" as its own playbook.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Sure, but imo it still works as an option for the Yankee.

Like the many flavors of Orc, the Yankee can be a lost traveller, a swindler, etc.

You're probably right. It's still early stages though, so the Yankee may not even last!

(I admit, the main reason I wanted to make "The Lost one/The Castaway" its own playbook was to have a names section that starts with Marshall, Will, and Holly.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Set Piece: The Twelve Hour Optional Sidequest.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Guh, just had another dumb idea for a Fellowship reskin/hack and I really need to stop until the game's actually out.

(Appalachian Folklore Fellowship. The Overlord, of course, is "The Devil their Own Self" and you've got playbooks like the Blessed Fool, The Cunning-man/Conjure-woman, The Clever One, the...well, the Giant, because giants happen in Appalachian folklore, usually secret descendants of Goliath, and so on.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So one of the possible halfling cultures is "The near future, as envisioned by comic book writers from the 1980s?" sold. Well, more sold.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Sudden and possibly bad idea for a variant overlord now: The Demiurge. For when the Overlord pretends to be the good guy and patron of the party. With moves like "Set up a false idol" that introduces a fake overlord for them to oppose, setpieces like "The obligatory corrupt Fantasy Catholics" etc.

Because the game's like 2/3rds of the way to being a JRPG anyway, and eventually, you do have to punch God in one of those.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, the Yankee (Possibly with a rename to "The Castaway") is not even half done. I should finish it now that we've got the last draft.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 14, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Okay, the expansion pack approach thing just made the Castaway/Yankee start to gel a bit, I think, so that's helpful.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Yes that is exactly how I would do that, and also, that's a really good Overlord Stat example. If you don't mind, I'm gonna put that in the book quick.

Oh, hey, that's also handy for what I was going to do with a Demiurge overlord. (For those 'defeat the evil demon king settings where it turns out Overlord's just trying to protect his Monster people from the actual evil: God and his secretly villainous fantasy Catholic Church threat to the world.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

A "dark ally" playbook doesn't have to be 100% turncoat Renfield, either. There're plenty of places you can take it, like jealous rival, estranged progeny, or inscrutable servant of a past or future Overlord.

"Overlord's Beautiful Offspring", which could just be a weird twist on the heir, admittedly.

...Actually now I'm disappointed that this is not a direct option for the Heir's "Tell us about your people"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Banana Man posted:

Bought it. Can someone provide more examples of Finishing Them using wisdom? I'm having trouble coming up with situations that make sense unless like Aragorn getting the forsaken ghost guys on his side qualifies as that.

When you bring in their loved one who they thought lost to plead with them to turn away from the path they're on, that's finishing them with Wisdom.

When you help a ghost achieve the goal that bound it to the place it's haunting, allowing it to peacefully pass into the afterlife.

When you engage them in a philosophical debate and reveal the hollowness of their beliefs...

Etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, I mean, the Witch King of Angmar is a General! He gets taken out almost immediately after someone reveals their advantage over him: That they are no man. After that, welp.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I dunno about sailing moves, but for a One-Piece-ish game, you might want to steal Inverse World's random sky-island generation stuff only for, like...actual islands.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I am down for "The world after the ending of Shaolin Soccer: the game" (Which I also ran as a Feng Shui Guiding Hand Victory Critical shift one shot once)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

spectralent posted:

The way I pitched a legend-giant was that their height was "Bigger than you", so her head pokes above treetops when they're walking through a forest but when they get to an inn she's "merely" bending down not to bump her head, and such. It felt like a reasonable fluff of Giants of Myth.

That said I can kind of see the issue if your deal is being 200ft tall and always be that size.

I am now picturing Ira Gamagori, Giant of Myth.

It works surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Horizon will be really useful to eyeball for the still occasionally prodded at Castaway playbook/Portal Fantasy hack thing I've been trying to write for ages but keep getting distracted from.